claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    This is how the iKnockoff Knights work:

"iPhone sucks lol!"

"Huawei has .02% better camera!"
    "Samsung has faster LTE"
    "Pixel has squeeze for Android Siri"
    "LG has brighter screen!"
    "ZTE has cheaper price for SAME features lol!"

......great, now I have to tape 5 androids together to get a comparable iPhone......nice.
    tmayStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Jose SevillejaJose Sevilleja Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    just found myself shooting more often in the night whatever the view is ever since i switch to Huawei P20 Pro
    saltyzipavon b7
  • Reply 23 of 36
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    tht said:
    These scores from the bottom of the list at 97 to the top of the list at 109 have virtually zero meaning. Picture quality is vastly more driven by human eyeballs understanding what makes a good picture and their capability to actually take the shot; and, like the billions of poor pictures taken from DSLRs, these smartphone cameras won’t enable someone to take better pictures. I’m sure I would be equally bad at taking a good picture with these phones as I am with my 6S Plus. ;)

Hate all these picture quality comparisons.
    Ditto on the CPU benchmarks too, can mean very little in real world usage.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    guscatguscat Posts: 59member
    I simply cannot imagine someone switching from an iPhone to a Hauwei (an Android phone) simply to get better camera functionality, especially since much of what we’ve heard lacking in the XS/XS Max photo/video quality is likely due to the image processing software via the new neural/ML engine, meaning that three months from now it could see dramatic improvements as Apple applies feedback to tune things.  

Agreed. Camera is just one part of smartphone experience. iOS Vs Android ALONE will seal the issue for most of the people (if not all). And it is not as-if P20 Pro camera is near-perfect. Far from it. It has its own weaknesses, again induced due to AI features in software. Not sure if they fixed those issues in the last 6 months though (we will come to know about it once the Mate 20 reviews are out). The only area where Huawei P20 Pro is way above other phones (including iPhones) is - extreme low light photography which is the hardest thing to pull off. So kudos to Huawei where due.

On the extreme low light photography - Huawei is going to retain that advantage even after 3 months because camera modules chosen by Huawei played the most significant advantage. No amount of software improvement can work around the superiority of sensors used by Huawei compared to the ones used by Apple.

I feel like ever since the iPhone 6 (and pick some comparable Android phone) camera quality got good enough on the high end smartphones that the camera alone isn't enough of a reason alone to pick a phone. Before the 6, camera quality was pretty weak, and so it was possible to make big jumps in camera quality. But since 2014, smartphone cameras on the high end at least have all gotten good enough for the overwhelming majority of photos you want to take. I find most of these comparisons to be pretty pointless. (I think the big difference with the cameras is whether you like one style over another.)
    saltyzipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    I'd be surprised if the pixel 3 doesn't take the DXO crown from Huawei next week, however advancements in the mobile camera department are only at a snail pace these days.

Optical zoom is what we need, but we all know what that entails, and it doesn't sit well within a phone chassis.
    guscat
  • Reply 26 of 36
    claire1 said:

"iPhone sucks lol!"

"Samsung has faster LTE"

......great, now I have to tape 5 androids together to get a comparable iPhone......nice.
    Does everybody drive the same car who has an IPhone? 

If other manufacturers were allowed to build IOS devices, not everyone would buy from Apple.

You buy a phone based on your budget and features.

If you just wanted a phone to make calls, the odd bit of browsing and checking Facebook, why would you even contemplate spending more than 350 dollars on a phone.
    avon b7gatorguy
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Enjoy it while it lasts. You know the Pixel 3 will blow the iPhone XS out of the water!! 
  • Reply 28 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Enjoy it while it lasts. You know the Pixel 3 will blow the iPhone XS out of the water!! 
    ???
    Pretty sure there was supposed to be a " /s " at the end.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'll stick with my Canons and L lenses and my new Sony a7 III for photography but I love using the iPhones for snapshots, live shots and panos. :)
    guscatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    claire1 said:

"iPhone sucks lol!"

"Samsung has faster LTE"

I always like it when you're going up against the Android phones, you have to go up against the best feature for every single phone out there rather than one specific phone.
    arthurbawatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    guscatguscat Posts: 59member
    saltyzip said:
    I'd be surprised if the pixel 3 doesn't take the DXO crown from Huawei next week, however advancements in the mobile camera department are only at a snail pace these days.

Optical zoom is what we need, but we all know what that entails, and it doesn't sit well within a phone chassis.
    Yeah, the difference in these phones photos always strike me as really small and exaggerated. There are certain types of photos I have trouble taking related more to distance, and the reason I can't take them has more to do with the lenses than anything to do with the processor or software. 
  • Reply 32 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    guscat said:
    claire1 said:

"iPhone sucks lol!"

"Samsung has faster LTE"

I always like it when you're going up against the Android phones, you have to go up against the best feature for every single phone out there rather than one specific phone.
    Well, claire1 was going over the top to a point.

It's true that some phones will stand out for this or that reason but that happens with Apple too. If you wanted FaceID you had to go with the iPhone X last year. If you want dual cameras you won't get a an Xr either.

In this case (the P20 Pro specifically) you got a better camera, better battery, better modem, more useful NPU, dual SIM, better shell design etc on just one phone - and a better price.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    FWIW I've always found DxO's testing to be highly subjective and its criteria capricious, even when the camera I wanted to "win" did so. Certainly not the definitive ranking, to put it mildly. Apple often is, or is right up there with, whatever their "method" deems "the best" for a few months. All this tells me is that the camera hardware provides no reason to consider any sort of platform change, from Android to Apple or vice-versa, from a photographic standpoint.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I don’t buy this. AI recently tested the XS Max against the Note 9 (the stills test one) and apart from portrait shots, the Note 9 bettered the iPhone at nearly everything else. Not to mention my own experience with the fallibilities of my 8 Plus’s cameras compared to even my old 5S!
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 35 of 36
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    kurai said:
    You guys did see his "/s" sarcasm tag there right? =)
    I’m sure there are many who don’t know what /s means. I did though, and found the following replies quite amusing. I use it myself when commenting occasionally, and some of those correspondents don’t seem to get it either, or pay attention to it anyway.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 36
    I stumbled upon this review now and - I must say - the comments are far more mature than what I see in most Android vs iOS debates. But there are still somethings I find interesting : 

Why do you feel that any review that publishes anything where the Apple is not the best in something, is wrong or untrustworthy? It seems there is a backlash if they're not #1 in anything ; like there is an expectation or something. It almost appears to put your nose out of joint.

Lastly, the camera isn't the only metric that is better - the battery is far better as well. Ditto with the Mate20Pro. It's not only the capacity, but the charging speed on both with wired and wireless is fantastic (twice as fast as the iPhone). 

To me, the camera and battery are the two largest metrics in a phone ... and the Huawei scores higher in both those

edited December 2018