Apple avoids iPhone ban in India by approving regulator's anti-spam app for download from ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    From the look & implementation  of the app ,it’s quite clear that it is using iOS 12 call reporting  extension.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Ironic AF that India requires anti-spam call add ins when 99% of spam and scam calls come from that very country.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    evilution said:
    Ironic AF that India requires anti-spam call add ins when 99% of spam and scam calls come from that very country.
    Why is it ironic? I would call it logical....
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Seems people totally forgot about Edward Snowden.. They have a backdoor and it has always been there. Just a matter of fact that when do they need to do so. Most of the time no.
    lkrupp said:
    ... It is unclear if TRAI's app was approved because it uses the framework and follows App Store policies, or if Apple ultimately gave in to demands.
    At this day and age, I fear it's the latter. No matter your nationality, ideology, or education (I'm an engineer BTW), if you can remember high school history, you can recognize that we are frogs in a warming pot. We are just letting too much slide...
    No one is above the law.  You want to play in someone else's backyard, you play by their rules or don't play at all.
    So when the U.S. government gets its way with an iOS backdoor you’ll be okay with that?
    If the US Government can get away with an iOS backdoor without violating the Constitution and the Bill of Rights then yes, I'd be okay with that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    From the screen captures, it looks to just be another worthless government pacifier which asks you to report robocallers. This will have them reporting all the spoofed caller ids. Kind of like our worthless Do Not Call lists. 

Meanwhile, that great protector of iPhone users, Tim Cook, refuses to let app developers block calls by area code. Can we figure out who’s putting money in who’s pockets resulting in yet another moronic Apple rule?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    setispock said:
    Has anyone even tried to APP before commenting?
    1. The APP is optional. You don’t have to install it. You’re iPhone will work fine in India without it. 
    2. Even after installing it, you have to go to settings and enable it
    3. The APP makes it easy to report SPAM. In what way is this bad? When you report spam phone calls or SMS, you have to share the caller’s phone number & your phone number. How else are they going to keep track of the spammers? With a spam SMS, you have to share the content of of the message. 
    4. Once again, this is all optional. You don’t have to do any of this. 
    Whether majority of Indian society is OK with that or want it or do not care, why we are solving this issue here. Different country, different law.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    canukstorm said:

No one is above the law.  You want to play in someone else's backyard, you play by their rules or don't play at all.
    Too true. But in this case, Apple wasn't going to be prosecuted for violating any actual law (not to mention given the chance to argue their case in court) — instead, Sharma was simply going to force the carriers to summarily terminate phone and data service to all iPhones in India. And ten million totally innocent Indian citizens who don't want to switch to Android? To hell with them; Sharma's in charge.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    I presume a list of other countries will follow India's lead and Apple will give in to them also. The Domino Effect.