USB-C

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
So I bought a Sabrent USB 3.0 to 2.5 SATA external hard drive. Placed a Samsung SSD drive in it. Bought a Macally USB-C to USB-A cable. Connected it to a new MacBook Pro 2018 and it doesn't work. Trying to use it to bring files from old MacBook Pro to new one. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    squireafd said:
    So I bought a Sabrent USB 3.0 to 2.5 SATA external hard drive. Placed a Samsung SSD drive in it. Bought a Macally USB-C to USB-A cable. Connected it to a new MacBook Pro 2018 and it doesn't work. Trying to use it to bring files from old MacBook Pro to new one. What am I doing wrong?
    Which specific enclosure and what cable? 
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I explained that in my question.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    squireafd said:
    Does it show up in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility? Usually you have to format new drives with the following settings:

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/how-to-format-drive-guid/

If the Sabrent drive has a power switch at the back, check that's turned on too, a lot of enclosures don't bother with power buttons and it can be easy to forget. If it's one with a power light, that will show whether the drive is being powered ok. If it's lighting up then it may just be a formatting issue.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    squireafd said:
    I explained that in my question.
    I'll be more specific. Sabrent has 18 different 2.5-inch enclosures. Which one is yours? 
    kingofsomewherehot