Apple offers 10 percent discount online to veterans & active duty US military

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2018
Apple has extended the online Apple Store dedicated to those in the armed forces, with the Veterans and Military Purchase Program offering more discounts to present and past soldiers and sailors.

Mac units offered in the Veterans and Military Purchase Program
Mac units offered in the Veterans and Military Purchase Program

In a similar vein to the Education store, the Veterans and Military Purchase Program allows eligible users to buy products from Apple directly, with automatic discounts applied to the purchase. The discount is 10 percent off the usual price for the items, and applies to practically all items that can be bought online.

Under the program, offers are provided to both current members of the military and veterans, and is also able to be used by immediate family members who also reside in the same household. Purchases must be made through the dedicated U.S. Veterans and Military storefront, or from any Apple retail outlet via an "in-store kiosk" which amounts to either an iMac that a store staffer will point the shopper to, or an iPad, store location depending.

Apple notes the program is for personal use only, with limitations applied to the number of items that can be purchased or "sponsored" per customer. For example, per calendar year a user can buy up to three computer systems, iPads, unlocked iPhones, HomePods, Apple TVs, AirPods, and Apple Watch units, with a further limit of one Apple Watch Hermes model.

iPhones offered under the Veterans and Military Purchase Program
iPhones offered under the Veterans and Military Purchase Program

The limit raises to ten each for the iPod touch, accessories including Beats products, certified refurbished items, and Designed by Apple in California books. Ten Apple Watch accessories can also be acquired, including bands and chargers, but again limited to just one Hermes band, and while ten third-party accessories can be bought, it excludes Microsoft, Bose, Adobe, and HP products.

Up to three AppleCare+ or AppleCare protection plans can be bought for each applicable product line. The plans are also offered at a special pricing specifically for the store.

"We are deeply grateful to the men and women of our armed forces," Apple said in a statement about the program provided to AppleInsider. "We are proud to offer active military and veterans a new dedicated online store with special pricing as an expression of our gratitude for their brave service."

Military service verification is required prior to checkout in-store or online, according to Apple.

The offering from Apple isn't the first of its kind from Apple, and is more of an extension of a previous program. However, there are often better deals available from other vendors by shopping at an authorized reseller. Retailers, such as B&H Photo, Adorama and even Amazon, are currently knocking double and even triple digits off new releases, as outlined in our holiday deal roundup and Apple Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Hmm!  Maybe there is truth to  reports that the new iPhones are not selling well.  :D
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 23
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Interesting. There appears to be no supporting documents required to make a purchase, other than the declaration in the agreement. It opens the doors to misuse. Not that we should were the DD214 on our sleeves like service stripes... Of course, a 214, endorsed drivers license, or Active or Veteran's ID would be a little impractical for online use.

But it's an appreciated gesture on Apple's part, and pays the CA sales tax. It's a deal for states with lower or no sales tax. Thanks, Apple.
    spinnydforgot username
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Let's see how many negative comments we get on this story or the "Jobs would have never..." comments start pouring in. Kudos to Apple for doing this. 
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    macgui said:
    Interesting. There appears to be no supporting documents required to make a purchase, other than the declaration in the agreement. It opens the doors to misuse. Not that we should were the DD214 on our sleeves like service stripes... Of course, a 214, endorsed drivers license, or Active or Veteran's ID would be a little impractical for online use.

But it's an appreciated gesture on Apple's part, and pays the CA sales tax. It's a deal for states with lower or no sales tax. Thanks, Apple.
    There is a verification step at checkout at retail which we have confirmed, and we've been told that there's one online as well -- but didn't buy anything to confirm the latter.
    edited December 2018 spinnyd
  • Reply 5 of 23
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Military service verification is required prior to checkout in-store or online.

So actual documentation is required for in-store purchases? Good.

spinnyd
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    macgui said:
    Military service verification is required prior to checkout in-store or online.

So actual documentation is required for in-store purchases? Good.

It isn't particularly arduous. DD214, ID card, "other supporting documentation at the discretion of the store."
    spinnyd
  • Reply 7 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    macgui said:

You can claim the discount with or without a btother in active duty...I bought my stuffs thru educational discounts all the times. 
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I bet the ID.me boys would have loved to get in on this action.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Yes!!! I can get a discount for the rest of my life! Woot!
    spinnydrainmaker
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Bebe said:
    Hmm!  Maybe there is truth to  reports that the new iPhones are not selling well.  :D
    Not everything has to do with new iPhone sells.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Great way for Apple to Thank those that defend us

Thank you Tim Cook & company for appreciating those valiant men & women
    rainmaker
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Well, I wish I'd known about this when my daughter bought her new phone. :)
  • Reply 13 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    These military discount programs are a nice gesture and most of the major hardware and software vendors offer them. I encourage fellow veterans to always ask about discounts on any product or service purchase from any vendor. You'll be surprised, even restaurants often offer discounts. One of the more impressive veterans discounts that I've come across (for PC users) is the SolidWorks Military Veterans Program: $20 for the student edition, which is normally around $140/yr for students and $2995 for the full blown package. I'd also encourage veterans who don't have a government issued ID card, e.g., retirees, to obtain a state or county issued veterans ID card so you don't need to have your DD214 with you.
    zen_arcaderainmaker
  • Reply 14 of 23
    As a European I don’t get it why military get these perks in the US. Why not other groups that likewise contribute to society? I understand students, though, as an investment into the future. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 23
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    As a European I don’t get it why military get these perks in the US. Why not other groups that likewise contribute to society? I understand students, though, as an investment into the future. 
    The US military has been 100% volunteer since 1973 and less than 10% of adults (probably close to 7%) in the US have served in the military. Fortunately a reasonable number of people/companies choose to honor those service members. It's certainly a lot better now than in the 1980s and 1990s when I was active duty and got discounts on nothing.

On a similar note, if everyone gets a discount then effectively nobody gets a discount. There has to be some selectivity.
    dewmeboxcatcher
  • Reply 16 of 23
    macgui said:

It should be 20%
    dewme
  • Reply 17 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    As an American I don’t either. The salary and career stability is the exchange for the work. Some would say it’s because of possibility of risk of life, but this is rare and I have friends in other dangerous fields such as first responders and utility workers, yet get no special treatment. Some would say it’s the low salary but I have friends in research for cures to infectious diseases, protecting us, yet get no special treatment for their low-paid work. 

In short no, it doesn’t really make sense. I suspect it’s tied into faux-patriotic rhetoric deployed by politicians for votes. 
    edited December 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 23
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

linkman said:
    The US military has been 100% volunteer since 1973 and less than 10% of adults (probably close to 7%) in the US have served in the military. Fortunately a reasonable number of people/companies choose to honor those service members. It's certainly a lot better now than in the 1980s and 1990s when I was active duty and got discounts on nothing.

On a similar note, if everyone gets a discount then effectively nobody gets a discount. There has to be some selectivity.
    Why the word “honor”? How are all government jobs, in fact all private jobs, not willingly entered into? It’s not “volunteer” in sense that they don’t get a salary and possible pension in return.

Military career is a career, just as being a fireman, a researcher, a road stripe painter, or a delivery person, or a factory worker.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I don't automatically extend additional respect to any and all veterans. I've known some decent ones, but also more than a few who enlisted for reasons other than to serve their country. Some just wanted to kick foreigners' butts. Others had no career prospects in the private sector. Some actually look down on you as inferior if you haven't served.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I’d actually prefer that all Americans who are mentally capable of functioning on their own or with limited supervision be required to perform public service, military or otherwise, for a minimum period of time, perhaps two years in order to gain full entitlement to US citizenship as an adult. I know, pretty radical idea to expect that citizenship must be earned rather than being a birthright or inheritance.

<imho> To those who believe that veterans have a sense of entitlement or that military service is beneath them or equivalent to other professions, all I say is that you’ve got a very distorted understanding of the reality of military service. To the vast majority of veterans who served honorably, their military service is often the highlight of their lives and careers, personally and professionally, and is likely one of the few occasions where they were surrounded by a dedicated group of people who truly worked, lived, and breathed as a team without individual selfishness and self serving attitudes. It’s definitely not a 9 to 5 environment or part time commitment. It’s an honor and a privilege to serve for many, and for those who are not inclined to serve, it’s your loss. </imho>
    edited December 2018 zen_arcadeboxcatcher