Apple confirms 70 percent of iOS devices now running iOS 12

Posted:
in iOS
The adoption rate for iOS 12 is considerably faster than that of iOS 11, Apple has confirmed, with new figures revealing the latest generation of the company's operating system for iPhones, iPads, and the iPod touch is now installed on 70 percent of all iOS-based devices.

Released in Apple's Developer Site, the latest results as of December 3 advise iOS 12 is installed on 72 percent of all compatible iOS devices released in the last four years. Of the remainder, iOS 11 is running on 21 percent, while the last 7 percent combines all earlier iOS releases.

Expanding the results to all devices in use, iOS 11 is used on 21 percent of hardware, with a 70 percent share occupied by iOS 12, and a combined 9 percent share for earlier releases.

The data indicates that iOS 12 is being adopted by users at a far greater rate than when iOS 11 was released and had to acquire an install base from iOS 10. Similar results released in December 4, 2017 covering all iOS devices revealed only 59 percent had moved onto iOS 11 by that time, with 33 percent still running iOS 10.

Given the latest figures, it is highly likely that iOS 12 will continue to outpace its predecessor. Data from April showed iOS 11 was installed on 76 percent of compatible devices, an 11-percent increase from the start of the year until that point.

Since iOS 12 is already at 70 percent for all devices, it is probable that iOS 12 will hit 76 percent months earlier than the time it took for iOS 11 to do the same.

In October, iOS 12 reached 50 percent adoption of all compatible iOS devices.

The faster adoption of iOS 12 has also been revealed by third-party firms, with Apple's results seemingly confirming them to be fairly accurate. Figures from Mixpanel revealed iOS 12 passed the 75 percent milestone on November 26, beating iOS 11 to the figure by a few weeks.

While Mixpanel and other analytics services use third-party app and merchant data to determine operating system usage, Apple's figures are thought to be far more accurate, as it relates to iOS devices that contact the App Store and Apple's other online services. While considered to be more accurate as it is direct from the source, Apple's data is also released far less frequently than the third-party analytics tools, which can sometimes make comparisons with earlier iOS releases harder to make.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Where was the obligatory 'piss on Android adoption rates' fest? That’s usually the point of this article (and deserved too!). 
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Since iOS 12 also supports the same number of devices (going back to the 5S etc) as iOS11, wonder if that's helping the adoption rate, since it supports a greater percent of the devices out there in the wild. 
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Meanwhile, Google has announced Android Pie has been installed on 2% of Android devices. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Hmm, 75% of my iOS devices are running iOS 12.  I guess I’ve helped up the average. :-)
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    It's the only iOS upgrade that I can remember that actually makes every device better than it was before.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    This isn’t really impressive.  If your device is capable of the latest OS, Apple spams you with upgrade reminders.  You can’t disable the notification, only either upgrade now or postpone it for awhile (like a day or two).  It’s not like everyone is jonesing for the latest emoji set.  I just upgrade so that I don’t have to deal with the annoying pop up reminders
    muthuk_vanalingambadmonk
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Doesn't answer what precentage of iOS devices sold are still considered active?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This isn’t really impressive.  If your device is capable of the latest OS, Apple spams you with upgrade reminders.  You can’t disable the notification, only either upgrade now or postpone it for awhile (like a day or two).  It’s not like everyone is jonesing for the latest emoji set.  I just upgrade so that I don’t have to deal with the annoying pop up reminders
    And that’s exactly why the popups are there, to annoy you into upgrading. All devices capable of it should always be on the latest version of iOS and those who balk need to be dragged screaming and kicking into it for their own good. “Choice” be damned in this particular case. And if you don’t like it, switch.
    racerhomie3bbikerasdasdwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 17
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    In these days of rampant security problems, not upgrading is foolish.  I bet those not upgrading either can’t or still have Windows PTSD syndrome...
    chasmracerhomie3watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Meanwhile, Google has announced Android Pie has been installed on 2% of Android devices. 
    And 90% of those on Pie probably don't even notice the difference. OS updates are so slightly incremental these days that there's barely any difference. Android services and security updates are rolled out separately, e.g. on my S8 I'm on Oreo but have the latest security update, my Maps, Assistant etc are all updates regularly from the Play store. When I've looked at new features in Pie, there's barely a reason to upgrade. It's about as compelling as a new version of Windows.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    And that’s exactly why the popups are there, to annoy you into upgrading. All devices capable of it should always be on the latest version of iOS and those who balk need to be dragged screaming and kicking into it for their own good. “Choice” be damned in this particular case. And if you don’t like it, switch.
    But no one is making even a half decent Android tablet that I can switch to. So I will continue to use iPads, but won't update it (in the process, downgrade it) to the latest version. I will retain "my choice".
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 12 of 17
    bbikerbbiker Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Apple forces an update to their latest iOS when you bring your mobile device in for service, even if you don't want it. That boosts their stats.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Again with this nonsense. Turn off automatic updates. That way the update file won't be downloaded to your phone and you won't get the reminder. It's actually pretty simple. Also I would hardly call a reminder to finish an update "spamming". Some folks can't help but find ways to be dramatic about small things,,come on. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    bbiker said:
    Apple forces an update to their latest iOS when you bring your mobile device in for service, even if you don't want it. That boosts their stats.
    That is total BS. I have taken many phones in for service and have never had them change anything on my device. Nice first nonsense post..welcome.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jcs2305 said:
    bbiker said:
    That is total BS. I have taken many phones in for service and have never had them change anything on my device. Nice first nonsense post..welcome.
    It isn't. They forced the update on my SE not two weeks ago when I had the battery replaced under their $29 program.

I asked if they had to, hey said it's that or no service.

Perhaps you should try confirming before you post.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Unlike what someone else posted, turning off automatic updates DOES NOT stop the reminders or the download of the iOS update. It stops apps from being automatically updated and application of the iOS update.

Here's what works:

1. Delete the downloaded update by going to manage your storage in settings, find the downloaded update and deleting it. This stops the reminders until it next completes the download of the update. You'll be free of the reminders for a couple to several days, depending on how long it takes the update to download again. Your battery charge will continue to be used to download the update.
    2. Cram your storage full until available storage is too small to hold the update. I do this with movies and tv episodes from the Apple Store and it did a wonderful job of putting a stop to the endless cycle of update downloads. It also put an end to the battery drain due to the background iOS update download. This can cause an issue for you if you take a lot of video, pics or download a number of Podcasts, but you can delete individual movies or tv episodes as needed.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I updated my iPhone 7S as soon as iOS 12 became available. I have since purchased an XS Max and have updated it to 12.1. Both my 7 and my XS have had two annoying glitches that were not present under iOS 11. First, when my phone is mounted to my dash, charging and playing music through Bluetooth, Siri becomes unresponsive. The same thing happens when my phone is charging on my nightstand and playing music through it’s own speakers. I’ll say, “Hey Siri” and my HomePod  in the living room will respond, but my phone 3 feet away almost never does. 

Second, when my phone is mounted, charging and playing music in my car, the music will “skip” anytime I interact with the screen...opening, closing or switching apps. 

Neither of these glitches happened under iOS 11 and I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues? I just downloaded 12.1.1 and I’m hoping it corrects one or both of these glitches...