Every Android maker to have 5G flagship by end of 2019, Qualcomm says

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2018
Providing insight into the future of smartphone technology -- and taking a jab at Apple -- Qualcomm President Cristiano Amon said that by the end of 2019, all Android handset makers will have at least one flagship device capable of accessing speedy 5G networks. Apple's iPhone is not expected to make the leap to 5G until 2020.

Qualcomm President Cristiano Amon discusses 5G at the Snapdragon Technology Summit. | Source: CNET's Shara Tibken via Twitter.

With Qualcomm being the sole provider of baseband chipsets to most major Android manufacturers, Amon's statement is less a prediction than it is a promise.

"When we get to exactly this time of year one year from now we will see every [handset maker] on the Android ecosystem, their flagship across all US carriers will be a 5G device," Amon told CNET in an interview at Qualcomm's Snapdragon Technology Summit in Hawaii. "Every Android vendor is working on 5G right now."

Specific release dates and details were left unmentioned, but a slide presented during Amon's keynote listed a number of major firms who are partnering with Qualcomm on the 5G rollout initiative. Those companies include Asus, Fujitsu, Google, HMD, HTC, InSeeGo, LG, Motorola, Netgear, NetComm Wireless, OnePlus, Oppo, Samsung, Sharp, Sierra Wireless, Sony, Telit, Vivo, WingTech, WNC, Mi and ZTE.

Hammering home the notion that 5G is knocking on consumers' doors, Samsung at the event showed off prototype devices running on hyper-local 5G networks set up by AT&T and Verizon. The "proof of concept" phones were powered by Qualcomm guts including Snapdragon X50 5G NR modem and antenna modules, an integrated RF transceiver and other components from the Snapdragon Mobile Platform.

Apple, and any mention of iPhone, was conspicuously absent at the event. The Cupertino tech giant is embroiled in a bitter legal battle with its former supplier, and has since turned to Intel to meet its cellular modem needs.

In November, and again this week, reports claimed a 5G-capable iPhone will debut in 2020. That puts Apple's timeline more than year behind Android vendors that plan to first integrate the technology in early 2019.

That said, Apple is typically slow to adopt the fastest cellular standards. The first iPhone, for example, launched without support for the then-cutting-edge 3G standard, while 4G LTE integration arrived much later than competitors when iPhone 5 received support in 2012.

While missing out on "first to market" claims, Apple's launch plans should ramp well with a buildout of supporting infrastructure. Carriers like Verizon, AT&T and Sprint are in the early stages of seeding their respective networks with compatible base stations, and widespread availability is not expected until at least 2020. Amon at Tuesday's event highlighted Qualcomm's 5G working partners, which include the three major U.S. carriers and international players like China Mobile.

Still, the road to 5G will be slow going. At the event, AT&T senior vice president Kevin Petersen said the percentage of devices with 5G capabilities in the U.S. in 2019 will be in the "low single digits," the report said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Says it all lol - who could be an 'Android maker' and afford not to have a me too device?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    This is a bit like bragging about 4k before the studios released any 4k content... Apple will be releasing a 5G phone in line with the public statements from nearly every 5G telco provider worldwide:

https://www.lifewire.com/5g-availability-world-4156244

Meanwhile there are those who still struggle to get 4G reception on leading networks.

racerhomie3
  • Reply 3 of 42
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Well:

1. The rumour that Apple won't release a 5G iPhone until 2020 is exactly that ... an unconfirmed rumour.
    2. There is exactly noplace where you can get 5G service right now, and that while that will have changed a bit by the end of next year, you can expect it to mirror the way "4G" rolled out -- starting in three big cities, in limited areas within those cities, and taking a very long time to roll out to where you are (if you're outside SF, LA, and NYC).
    3. As reported here and elsewhere, the first 5G test that was just held did not do well and fell very well short of expectations.

To put this another way, I expect 5G to be the ubiquitous standard of cellular about the same time as I expect every major network and cable channel to be continuously broadcasting in 4K.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 42
    Not sure why this isn’t a bother, Apple always seems a little late to the party, but they do often make it work very well when they do eventually launch.  First is great, but quality execution is much better.  I hate Qualcomm so much, gees - Hate Them!!! So petty and annoying.
    jony0
  • Reply 5 of 42
    LOL. 

Qualcomm trying to sound cool after getting exposed as extortionist criminals. 

5G first is not a bad thing to have in your bag. 

But its not going to be prevalrnt or accessible to most users. 

Wait a single year for a better, more secure phone that’s actually a joy to use with 5G?

no problem. 

Funny how apple goes after making the industry as a whole a better place while the competition is just happy to latch onto whatever perceived short lived edge they can get - the industry be damned. 

Best to not enable those types by giving them your money. 
  • Reply 6 of 42
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Analysts Report: 6/01/19
    "We are cutting our revenue expectation for Apple due consumers wanting 5G phones"

I can see it now, the media is gonna love this one
    muthuk_vanalingamracoleman29jony0
  • Reply 7 of 42
    I think people are overwhelmed and oversaturated with new features as majority is not utilizing majority besides camera. They want it to work and be easy to use. And as were stated more important is network speed than phone wireless speed. Apple is shipping technology when it can use for real marketing not just vaporware one, Of course I would prefer when I would get high tech on used phone one year earlier but that is nothing Apple care about.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    5G networks are at best at the ‘alpha’ testing stage with extremely limited roll out. There is nearly a guarantee there will be problems with first gen implementation of chips, network, antennae/reception, etc. Apple is wise to ‘wait and see’ - especially if it adds cost to manufacturing and currently will benefit nearly none of their customers.
    Ironically, Android buyers are cost conscious buyers - the majority own them because they are cheap. Yet 5G is a ‘feature’ that the carriers will charge a premium price for - they aren’t going to build new infrastructure to give away faster speeds - Android users get ready for limited access to 5G and higher bills when/if you use it.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    No one cares, except network nerds. I want it when it’s matured . LTE still hasn’t reached proper coverage. Please fix those first carriers.
    JWSC
  • Reply 10 of 42
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Yet, Android devices are too damn slow to even process LTE data fast enough. The net result is you’ll still have a slow phone with no measurable improvement in usability, but you’ll pay twice as much for a sticker on the box so you can tell your friends you’re ready for 5G. By the time 5G rolls around, you’ll have an antiquated paperweight.
    jony0
  • Reply 11 of 42
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    Where did you get that idea?

5G phones will have new SoCs. Current modems on Android SoCs are already faster than Apple's newest and process data just fine.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, the rumored 2 year delay in Apple's ability to deliver a 5G capable phone (till nearly 2021) is not a technical one -- but the result of choosing a second rate supplier because they're in a pissing contest with the high end one....

:s
  • Reply 13 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    All that 5G and nowhere to use it except a few places in a few major cities in all of 2019. AT&T notoriously cherry picks its deployment of all of its services. My choice for Internet service from AT&T is limited to 15mbps DSL while Charter/Spectrum’s service starts at 200mbps now and goes up to 1Gbps. No sign of AT&T fiber anywhere and I expect that to be true for 5G as well. My area will probably get a little 5G by the end of 2020, about the time iPhones get it. There’s no 5G on the map for St. Louis, Missouri from any carrier, anywhere.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 14 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So, the rumored 2 year delay in Apple's ability to deliver a 5G capable phone (till nearly 2021) is not a technical one -- but the result of choosing a second rate supplier because they're in a pissing contest with the high end one....

So you want a 5G iPhone even if there’s no place to actually use it?
    mwhiteJWSC
  • Reply 15 of 42
    This 5G race is ridiculous.

In the US we never saw the full potential of 3G because of the obsession with 4G. We’ve not seen the potential of LTE yet and we’re racing to 5G. Chances are we won’t ever see the potential of 5G because of our future obsession with 6G. I think we need to learn to do each G right before moving forward...
  • Reply 16 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This is a bit like bragging about 4k before the studios released any 4k content... Apple will be releasing a 5G phone in line with the public statements from nearly every 5G telco provider worldwide:

https://www.lifewire.com/5g-availability-world-4156244

Meanwhile there are those who still struggle to get 4G reception on leading networks.

Most Android users that buy this crap will believe they are using 5G if they aren't I suspect.  
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 17 of 42
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    georgie01 said:

In the US we never saw the full potential of 3G because of the obsession with 4G. We’ve not seen the potential of LTE yet and we’re racing to 5G. Chances are we won’t ever see the potential of 5G because of our future obsession with 6G. I think we need to learn to do each G right before moving forward...
    This 5G "rollout" will benefit so few users in 2019. Add to the fact that Verizon will start with "non-standards" 5G. Pure marketing codswallop.

And to fully realize the 10+ GBps data rates, carriers will need to deploy a shite-load of antennas everywhere (think microcells). Granted, they will be smaller (60 GHz band), but I hope the industrial designers for these antennas will make them blend into the surroundings better than a fake cactus or palm tree.

I have no problem with Apple waiting till 2020.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member

You seem to be quite focused on 5G and how it’s going to solve all of your problems and make your phone infinitely better than anything else on the planet. I’m thinking you should probalby buy a Samsung phone.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    You know as soon as these first Android 5G phones are available for sale they're going to market the hell out of their 5G capability as a selling point yet it will be useless because 5G won't be available for 99% of people. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 20 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member

GG1 said:
    georgie01 said:

This 5G "rollout" will benefit so few users in 2019. Add to the fact that Verizon will start with "non-standards" 5G. Pure marketing codswallop.

And to fully realize the 10+ GBps data rates, carriers will need to deploy a shite-load of antennas everywhere (think microcells). Granted, they will be smaller (60 GHz band), but I hope the industrial designers for these antennas will make them blend into the surroundings better than a fake cactus or palm tree.

I have no problem with Apple waiting till 2020.
    Not to mention the fact that standards haven’t been finalized, so any 5G phone you get may well end up being 4.5G. Given the ongoing legal tensions between QC and APL one has to wonder if this is QC poking a stick in APL’s eye.