Rare Macworld issue signed by Steve Jobs could sell for $10,000 or more

Posted:
in General Discussion
A copy of the first issue of Macworld, signed by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, will go up for auction starting on Thursday, potentially fetching tens of thousands of dollars.

Steve Jobs signs Macworld

The magazine dates back to February 1984, but was autographed by Jobs on May 19, 2006 at the opening of the company's Fifth Avenue store in New York City, according to RR Auction. Its worth is estimated at $10,000 or more, as the premiere issue of Macworld is hard to find -- much less one signed by Jobs, who famously provided few fan autographs in his lifetime.

Making the auction even more unusual is video and photographic proof of Jobs signing the magazine, on top of certification from outside authentication services.

A related item going up for bid is a Jobs business card dating back to when Apple was based at 20525 Mariani Avenue in Cupertino, across from 1 Infinite Loop. The company's current headquarters is 1 Apple Park, elsewhere in the city.

Steve Jobs business card

The card's worth is estimated at much less than the magazine, around $500. Both auctions will close on Dec. 13.

Jobs memorabilia can fetch high sums from collectors and investors. A handwritten Apple I specifications sheet, which went on sale on Wednesday, could rake in upwards of $40,000 to $60,000.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Damn I met and talked to Steve at MacWorld in the 80's and never even thought to ask for an autograph!
    edited December 2018 philboogie
  • Reply 2 of 7
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Looks a bit dog-eared. Probably should have locked it in a hermetically sealed box with a certificate of authenticity.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    MacPro said:
    Damn I met and talked to Steve at MacWorld in the 80's and never even thought to ask for an autograph!
    One of my friends has the same issue signed by Steve at the SF store opening. I don't think he's at all interested in parting with it though, but it would be interesting to find out how much it's worth, as it just has Jobs' signature (no, 'to name') and is in better condition.

I met Jobs at the Palo Alto Apple Store once, and was too star-struck to say much more than 'hi' and 'thanks for what you do.' :)
    philboogie
  • Reply 4 of 7

Jobs memorabilia can fetch high sums from collectors and investors. A handwritten Apple I specifications sheet, which went on sale on Wednesday, could rake in upwards of $40,000 to $60,000.

It looks like that didn't happen. The highest bid, according to 9To5Mac was a little over $20000, well below the reserve price and the item was unsold.

philboogie
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I still own the premiere issue of Macworld and am wondering what it’s value would be.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    cgWerks said:
    MacPro said:
    One of my friends has the same issue signed by Steve at the SF store opening. I don't think he's at all interested in parting with it though, but it would be interesting to find out how much it's worth, as it just has Jobs' signature (no, 'to name') and is in better condition.

I met Jobs at the Palo Alto Apple Store once, and was too star-struck to say much more than 'hi' and 'thanks for what you do.' :)
    In my case it was a business related chat so it would have felt inapropriate to me but I agree I was still star-struck and I don’t think I’d have parted with it either had I. I do still have glass mouse that was given out at the Mac launch amongst memorabilia from that period.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    bluefire1 said:
    I still own the premiere issue of Macworld and am wondering what it’s value would be.

"...it must be worth a pretty penny."

"I knew a Pretty Penny once, she was a dancer."

"I love to dance!"

"What are you doing after the show?"

"I have a date..."