non-CPU MW Tokyo Predictions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Despite the sea of posts and threads out there that still predict new hardware (in the quadrants) for MW Tokyo, I'm taking 'The Joz' at face value. So, this thread is for all non-CPU related predictions. Please do not waste everyone's time with G5 or updated TiBook rumours in this thread.

Here's my thoughts (which you must understand are a subtle concoction of wishful thinking, rumour site readings, and utter guesswork):
  • iMac, iMac, iMac

• iPhoto 1.x (wishful thinking on this one)

• Photoshop 7

• Flash MX

• iPod2 (10 gig) - maybe

• updated iPod firmware (see link below)

• 10.2 announcement or demo, but not shipping

• Set Top Box (just kidding )

Here's my <a href="http://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 260&mode=thread&order=0" target="_blank">iPod link</a>, make of it what you will.

If the above happened (conservative, I know), it'd still make for a pretty full keynote...

Now, whaddya think?

rr.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    iMovie 3
  • Reply 2 of 41
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Free new flower power desktop picture downloadable from Apple's web site
  • Reply 3 of 41
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Free new flower power desktop picture downloadable from Apple's web site </strong><hr></blockquote>

And an iCard to match
  • Reply 4 of 41
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Someone in a previous thread jokingly mentioned that Apple should provide a "neck" warmer for the new iMac's steel arm.

With the way things are going, maybe they should pass out miniature iMac figurines to hold you over until the real ones are available.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    I suspect much of Jobs' keynote will be occupied with Photoshop - perhaps on a demo of 10.2 at the same time. A 10-GB iPod seems very likely, along with some new displays. Maybe a new digital spoke for the digital hub - I've no idea what, but I'm quite certain they have several other devices a la iPod up their sleeves.

That's about all I bet on for hardware. Probably lots more software, too.

Oh, and one more thing...

iWalk
  • Reply 6 of 41
    iPod 10 Gig and a 5 Gig Price Drop.

iMovie 3.

iPhoto Update.

iMac "Information."

iCamera.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/cdieugenio/iMovieTheater1.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/cdieugenio/iMovieTheater1.html</a>;
  • Reply 7 of 41
    10 GB iPod with usable with Windows (yech!)

17 or 19 inch widescreen flat panel display?

G5 Tube (Just kidding! )
  • Reply 7 of 41
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    10.2 will be demoed,

ship date announced (before or at WWDC)

Photoshop 7 will be demoed,

ship date announced (early April)

19" LCD Display,

15" may be dropped (not much of a market for them anymore)

Updates for iTunes and iMovie
  • Reply 9 of 41
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    MWTK:
    • Demo of the power of the Dual GHz Power Macs including a demo of the GeForce4 Ti and the dual machine

• Announce that orders for the GeForce4 are being taken at the Apple Store now

• Update to iPhoto

• First public demo of 10.2

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]

[ 03-15-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Big if: if there is a iCam in the works, Japan would definitely be the place to intro it. They'll go nuts over it. He'll also show off the iPod again (with update if available) as again, the Japanese market is huge for those things. Perhaps a version of iPod/iTunes with Japanese character support?

No new CPUs.

Big deal over iMacs... announces 250,000 sold to date. Maybe 300,000. Announces 200,000 iPods sold to date.

iPhoto 1.1. Includes glare removal, additional printer support (yada yada yada).

Photoshop X. Big demo with Dual Giggers blowing away Dual 2Gig Pentium IV.

I doubt a demo of 10.2, but hey, you never know...

:-)
  • Reply 11 of 41
    meme Posts: 5member
    hmmm...

"No new CPUs..."

Is a speed bump of the current CPU a "NEW" CPU?
  • Reply 12 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by Me:

<strong>hmmm...

"No new CPUs..."

Is a speed bump of the current CPU a "NEW" CPU?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Respect the thread.

- iPod revision

- Photoshop 7 Demo

- geForce 4 Ti demo and shipping news

- bragging about iMac orders, iPhotot downloads etc...

- No set top box, no iCamera, no speed bumps
  • Reply 13 of 41
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>iPod 10 Gig and a 5 Gig Price Drop.

iMovie 3.

iPhoto Update.

iMac "Information."

iCamera.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/cdieugenio/iMovieTheater1.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/cdieugenio/iMovieTheater1.html</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

a 5gig price drop!

you mean if I buy an iPod after MWTY I'll get $4601 from apple?

thats not very good business
  • Reply 14 of 41
    I think Bodhi has about nailed it. Although I would add...mostly out of wishful thinking...that Macromedia will play a big role in the Stevenote. They've got three, count 'em three, new products in the shoot that are all OS X-ready.

There's no love lost between Macromedia and Adobe, so maybe Japan is just far enough away from San Jose for Steve to spotlight Fireworks, Dreamweaver and Flash and Freehand, without dimming the aqua-glow on Photoshop, GoLive, LiveMotion and Illustrator.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I would not expecta new digital device for the simple reason that the american press will not be there in full force. the ipod gained a ton of attention right of the gate simply because they had all the major tech writers at the intro.

my predictions pretty much go with Bodhi but I am praying that a 10GB iPod is released. It would be perfect. Hope it has crossfade as well
  • Reply 16 of 41
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>I would not expecta new digital device for the simple reason that the american press will not be there in full force. the ipod gained a ton of attention right of the gate simply because they had all the major tech writers at the intro.

my predictions pretty much go with Bodhi but I am praying that a 10GB iPod is released. It would be perfect. Hope it has crossfade as well</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps but when you consider who's more into having the latest & greatest tech stuff who do you think is ahead in adoption. Americans or Japanesse (sp?). Personally I'd place my bets on Japan. I personally think it's a better market for revolutionary products. For this reason I don't rule out a Japan launch of a new product. How's their economy doing? If it's currently better then the US's then that'd also make for a better reception.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    icruiseicruise Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by Pendrake:

<strong> He'll also show off the iPod again (with update if available) as again, the Japanese market is huge for those things. Perhaps a version of iPod/iTunes with Japanese character support?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The ipod and itunes have had Japanese character support from the beginning.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    ccr65ccr65 Posts: 59member
    ipod revision

iCam (maybe)

decision on Quicktime 6 or just more info on talks with MPEGLA.

Peek at X 10.2
  • Reply 19 of 41
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    [quote] Big deal over iMacs... announces 250,000 sold to date. Maybe 300,000. <hr></blockquote>

Actually, given the supply problems Apple has had with the new iMac, Stevo had better be wearing a rubber raincoat to keep all the rotten fruit off his mock turtleneck & jeans...

I doubt Apple has shipped even 50k of the new iMac.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    MWT:

Rehash of the iMac introduction from MWSF.

Rehash of the Dual GHz Powermacs

Introduction of OS X 10.2, to be shipping at MWNY.

Rehash of iPod

Steve brags about all the iMac orders they have (but not sales, because of course it isn't a sale until the customer get's their iMac).

In other words, it's going to be a bust. No new hardware makes for an ultra-lame Expo.

[begin masturbatory dream]

"..and one more thing."

Steve wheels out something cloaked in black. He pulls off the shroud to reveal a...POWERMAC G5!! Then he proceeds to do a bake off between the 2 GHz G5 and an Intel. Except it's different.

"Well, you know I normally hand-pick a few photoshop filters so the Mac can render faster than the Wintel. Not this time. I'm going to do a bake-off using Quake, a game optimized for Wintels. And you see, one would need a 5 GHz Pentium to get as many fps in Quake as one can on a 2 GHz G5...but you can't even buy a 5GHz pentium!"

"Oh, and the G5 Powermacs will be shipping immediately. We have 1000 of them here at the expo, so you can purchase one right here and go home with it."

[/end dream]