Apple iPhone XS awarded smartphone camera of the year, Google Pixel 3 runner-up

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:
    Well, I have the XS Max and the photos are something incredible better. No other smartphone have something similar , especially the pixel. Why?because the galaxy or huawei or pixel show the same limit of smartphones camera. The iPhone bring up the level of quality. This is the real step forward to bring us into the future. Not the pixel. Look the picture in a big display or tv and you will understand the differences.
    Don't go getting ahead of yourself there.lol The iPhone Xs has a nice camera and much better than previous iPhone but..The pixels have been smoking the iPhone on camera until the Xs came out..Even now it's a toss up and matter of taste when it comes to which gives the best shot most of the time..Most people still say the pixel 3 has the edge on photos, especially low light. I'd give the iPhone video as well.
    I've taken some amazing shots with my pixel 3 XL. When I had the pics printed out at Wal-Mart the workers there couldn't belieive the pics came from a phone.
    Don’t get ahead of yourself here.......Pixel has been slightly better than previous iPhones ONLY in pics. iPhone has ALWAYS been ahead in video. 

This year, XS pulled even further ahead. 
    iPhones have improved but are still behind in photography. That is a consensus opinion just by reading around. IQ is only part of picture (pun intended). The flexibility of the camera (and by extension, the phone itself) also plays a part.

Things like optical zoom, wide angle, macro, low light performance etc.

When the Mate 10 Pro was released the CEO wanted to share some shots from Alaska and compare them to the iPhone X. It wasn't possible because the iPhone X shut down due to the cold. Of course battery life and storage space also have a big role to play.
    "The photography site selected iPhone XS over other models in its shortlist, which included the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S9+ and Sony Xperia XZ3.

Implementation beats specifications every time  in the real world, and no, I have no interest in some anecdote from the Huawei CEO sitting in Anchorage at the airport comparing phones in the cold.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 141
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,687member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:
    Well, I have the XS Max and the photos are something incredible better. No other smartphone have something similar , especially the pixel. Why?because the galaxy or huawei or pixel show the same limit of smartphones camera. The iPhone bring up the level of quality. This is the real step forward to bring us into the future. Not the pixel. Look the picture in a big display or tv and you will understand the differences.
    Don't go getting ahead of yourself there.lol The iPhone Xs has a nice camera and much better than previous iPhone but..The pixels have been smoking the iPhone on camera until the Xs came out..Even now it's a toss up and matter of taste when it comes to which gives the best shot most of the time..Most people still say the pixel 3 has the edge on photos, especially low light. I'd give the iPhone video as well.
    I've taken some amazing shots with my pixel 3 XL. When I had the pics printed out at Wal-Mart the workers there couldn't belieive the pics came from a phone.
    Don’t get ahead of yourself here.......Pixel has been slightly better than previous iPhones ONLY in pics. iPhone has ALWAYS been ahead in video. 

iPhones have improved but are still behind in photography. That is a consensus opinion just by reading around. IQ is only part of picture (pun intended). The flexibility of the camera (and by extension, the phone itself) also plays a part.

When the Mate 10 Pro was released the CEO wanted to share some shots from Alaska and compare them to the iPhone X. It wasn't possible because the iPhone X shut down due to the cold. Of course battery life and storage space also have a big role to play.
    "The photography site selected iPhone XS over other models in its shortlist, which included the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S9+ and Sony Xperia XZ3.

Implementation beats specifications every time  in the real world, and no, I have no interest in some anecdote from the Huawei CEO sitting in Anchorage at the airport comparing phones in the cold.
    The same site also said the Pixel 3 beat the iPhone XS 'hands down' for photography.

You will get shots from a Mate 20 Pro that simply aren't possible on any iPhone.
  • Reply 23 of 141
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

The same site also said the Pixel 3 beat the iPhone XS 'hands down' for photography.

You will get shots from a Mate 20 Pro that simply aren't possible on any iPhone.
    Yeah, like piss-poor video from Mate 20 Pro. LOL
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 141
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

The award was for "Smartphone Camera of the Year", not best picture.

"Winner: Apple iPhone XS

The iPhone XS faced fierce competition from the Google Pixel 3 this year, and from a pure still image quality standpoint the Pixel 3 wins hands down. But the iPhone XS takes the top spot overall thanks to a more rounded feature set that includes class-leading video, reliable AF, wide color capture and HDR display of imagery, plus a range of improvements over the original iPhone X.

New in the XS is a larger image sensor in the main camera for better dynamic range and low light performance, and a refined Portrait Mode. In a snub to traditional cameras, the XS allows you to choose your aperture after you shoot - all the way from F1.4 to F16. Cleverly, Apple has modeled the optical properties of real full-frame portrait lenses to accurately - and attractively - simulate 'real' bokeh.

Perhaps the biggest improvement though is Apple's new 'Smart HDR' feature, which takes advantage of the faster processing capabilities of the phone to capture wider dynamic scenes in stills, panoramas, and even in video up to 4K/30p, making the HEVC 4K footage the best we've seen from a smartphone. Pair all this with improved contrast on one of the best displays on the market, with accurate color management under the hood so you get the benefits of the wide gamut display without a loss in color accuracy, and you have one of the best smartphones available today."

There is going to be a shit ton of new multicamera smartphones on the market next year; good luck with that Mate 20 Pro, which I would note, at least made the shortlist for "Smartphone Camera of the Year, but sadly for you, lost to both single camera Pixel 3, and the dual camera iPhone XS.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 141
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

Just admit it...this year, XS spanked Pixel 3 in camera capability.  No comparison.

Actually, XS spank Pixel 3 in pretty much EVERY damn category except for price...but then again, XS has way better resale value.
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 141
    Madtiger said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

Just admit it...this year, XS spanked Pixel 3 in camera capability.  No comparison.

Actually, XS spank Pixel 3 in pretty much EVERY damn category except for price...but then again, XS has way better resale value.
    What's interesting is the level of effort that Google has put into the Pixel, and given that the resulting sales have been less than stellar, one wonders what advantage that imaging has brought the Pixel. Arguably, it is the only feature of note about the Pixel, in my opinion anyway.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 141
    Madtiger said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

Actually, the phone that many are praising this year is the HTC U12 plus.

I suggest you try reading around before claiming the XS is spanking anything.
  • Reply 28 of 141
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

The iPhone XS faced fierce competition from the Google Pixel 3 this year, and from a pure still image quality standpoint the Pixel 3 wins hands down. But the iPhone XS takes the top spot overall thanks to a more rounded feature set that includes class-leading video, reliable AF, wide color capture and HDR display of imagery, plus a range of improvements over the original iPhone X.

New in the XS is a larger image sensor in the main camera for better dynamic range and low light performance, and a refined Portrait Mode. In a snub to traditional cameras, the XS allows you to choose your aperture after you shoot - all the way from F1.4 to F16. Cleverly, Apple has modeled the optical properties of real full-frame portrait lenses to accurately - and attractively - simulate 'real' bokeh.

Perhaps the biggest improvement though is Apple's new 'Smart HDR' feature, which takes advantage of the faster processing capabilities of the phone to capture wider dynamic scenes in stills, panoramas, and even in video up to 4K/30p, making the HEVC 4K footage the best we've seen from a smartphone. Pair all this with improved contrast on one of the best displays on the market, with accurate color management under the hood so you get the benefits of the wide gamut display without a loss in color accuracy, and you have one of the best smartphones available today."

There is going to be a shit ton of new multicamera smartphones on the market next year; good luck with that Mate 20 Pro, which I would note, at least made the shortlist for "Smartphone Camera of the Year, but sadly for you, lost to both single camera Pixel 3, and the dual camera iPhone XS.

Definitely true that next year competition will be much fiercer. In three months the P30 Pro will be with us (rumours of x10 optical zoom) and the Mate 30 Pro coinciding with the next iPhone. The Samsungs of course, next Pixels, iPhones and some dark horses (I keep hearing amazing things about the  HTC U12 plus). I think the key is going to be in the flexibility of the camera setups.
  • Reply 29 of 141
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

Definitely true that next year competition will be much fiercer. In three months the P30 Pro will be with us (rumours of x10 optical zoom) and the Mate 30 Pro coinciding with the next iPhone. The Samsungs of course, next Pixels, iPhones and some dark horses (I keep hearing amazing things about the  HTC U12 plus). I think the key is going to be in the flexibility of the camera setups.
    10x optical may be a rumor, but I expect it at a penalty of both bulk, noise,  and a loss of IQ, but hey, whatever it takes to differentiate Chinese OEM's.

This is the "arm's race" that some others have been talking about, driven by "flat Android device sales" and a drive for higher ASP's. Apple is certainly not immune to the effects, but has that nice "walled garden around it's OS and ecosystem" to weather this better.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 141
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

Remind me...isn’t Huawei banned from UK, India, Australia, and USA?  I wonder why.  Just saying.  

Get one (if you can)...and get spy on by Chinese and 3rd parties.  Good luck in keeping your financials off the Chinese dark market!
  • Reply 31 of 141
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

Actually, the phone that many are praising this year is the HTC U12 plus.

I suggest you try reading around before claiming the XS is spanking anything.
    Who is this “many” regarding U12??  No one is talking about HTC!  Show me some rave review of U12 over XS.  

And is HTC bankrupt yet?  They probably have a staff of 2.  LOL

I do appreciate you pulling random stuff out of your arse!  Funny.
  • Reply 32 of 141
    Madtiger said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:

Remind me...isn’t Huawei banned from UK, India, Australia, and USA?  I wonder why.  Just saying.  

Get one (if you can)...and get spy on by Chinese and 3rd parties.  Good luck in keeping your financials off the Chinese dark market!
    Telecom side is banned in UK, U.S., and Australia, that I am aware of anyway. Has to do with the working relationship of "private" companies in China with the aims and goals of the Chinese Government, also known as "spying" on the competition. Why would any government want to compromise its telecom system to another government?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 141
    I wonder how much Apple paid for this?

I think the iPhone has had a barrage of camera competition over the years. It's not a bad camera by any standards and often ranks in the top 5. However, it generally isn't even on the podium with the likes of Huawei, Samsung and the Pixel. I think people started losing faith in the image quality and Apple really needed this Winner'.

Have you seen the iPhone at night shots compared to the Androids?
    Have you seen the flexibly of phones like the Mate20Pro? 
    And they speak about sensor size as though the XS has something large? :/

edited December 2018
  • Reply 34 of 141
    Seth2015 said:

Zero.  Apple is not Android OEMs.  (BTW, DPreview is very authoritative in camera world.)
  • Reply 35 of 141
    Madtiger said:
    Seth2015 said:

Zero.  Apple is not Android OEMs.  (BTW, DPreview is very authoritative in camera world.)
    Don't you then find it interesting that when they run a blind test with 5,000,000+ votes - the iPhone doesn't come anywhere?
    And when DXOMark (also a leader in optical tests) does their reviews, the iPhone comes 3 or 4 ?
    And that any other review generally ends with the conclusion that although the iPhone is exceptional, it cannot match the Huawei?
    Seen the night pictures between the two? They can't even really be compared.

Anyway - it seems really odd that although iPhone hasn't had a winning camera for 2 or 3 years, this crops up. Beating the Pixel is one - but beating the Huawei?
  • Reply 36 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    Madtiger said:
    Seth2015 said:

Don't you then find it interesting that when they run a blind test with 5,000,000+ votes - the iPhone doesn't come anywhere?
    And when DXOMark (also a leader in optical tests) does their reviews, the iPhone comes 3 or 4 ?
    And that any other review generally ends with the conclusion that although the iPhone is exceptional, it cannot match the Huawei?
    Seen the night pictures between the two? They can't even really be compared.

Anyway - it seems really odd that although iPhone hasn't had a winning camera for 2 or 3 years, this crops up. Beating the Pixel is one - but beating the Huawei?
    Find what interesting?  Youtube video of compressed images to compare QUALITY???  And that Blackberry did better than most?  Seriously?!

DxO has XS pretty good.  But DxO is a benchmark that can be “tuned” for.  

Huawei?  Did you see the video capability b/w Huawei and IPhone?  Yikes!

Remember, DP rewarded iPhone because of the camera SYSTEM (pics AND video).  Why is this so hard for you Android dumbheads to understand?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 141
    I see you're specifically talking about flexibly on the iPhone - I'm not sure if you're serious or not?
    You're aware the Huawei has a 16mm / 27mm / 80mm / 130mm (Hybrid) and 270mm  (Digital) zoom ? 
    I'm sure you're also aware that the digital zoom is actually fairly usable? 
    And you know about a macro mode, right? And 960fps slow motion?
    And as was pointed out, the iPhone can't match the Huawei or Pixel 3 low light?

So if we're being objective - it really cannot match the IQ or flexibility. It can - and does - however beat it on the video ... so if that's what this is based on, then congrats. But it becomes a very iffy review if they're scoring it on still images. Sad really - I used to like them.

In a nutshell - there are far too many points it 'loses' in order to reliably and honesty win a review like this. Makes no mistake - great camera and it's got things that can't be matches, but all in all .. it doesn't deserve to win.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 38 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    I see you're specifically talking about flexibly on the iPhone - I'm not sure if you're serious or not?
    You're aware the Huawei has a 16mm / 27mm / 80mm / 130mm (Hybrid) and 270mm  (Digital) zoom ? 
    I'm sure you're also aware that the digital zoom is actually fairly usable? 
    And you know about a macro mode, right? And 960fps slow motion?
    And as was pointed out, the iPhone can't match the Huawei or Pixel 3 low light?

So if we're being objective - it really cannot match the IQ or flexibility. It can - and does - however beat it on the video ... so if that's what this is based on, then congrats. But it becomes a very iffy review if they're scoring it on still images. Sad really - I used to like them.
    Sorry, you guys need to make up your mind...are we talking about Pixel or Huawei?  Because as far as i know, there is no Hua-Pixel phone out there that you can buy.

Huawei...good pics, bad video.    Good zoom, but zero stabilization.

Pixel...good pics, bad video.  Bad zoom, good stabilization.

iPhone XS...perfect combination of pics and video and zoom and stabilization...THUS WINNER.

Anything else you wanna throw out there?
  • Reply 39 of 141
    I think it comes down to us Android 'dumbheads' being realists. 

You - on the other hand - come here to pat each other on the back about what a great purchase you've made. You expect that because you paid a premium, you have a premium ... and are shaken when that's not the case. 

Ok - let's go back to the 5 million votes ... non photographers and average Joes simply looking at photos and saying 'ooo ... that looks good'. So these amateurs didn't select the iPhone (in fact, knocked out Round 1). 

Let's do DXO - that's a size aimed at photographers and serious pixel peepers. They go in depth and it's a pretty objective and highly credible site. However, it comes second to the old Huawei P20Pero (even with the shoddy video pulling down the score). 

So both amateurs and photographers don't select the iPhone ? 
    You yet you still feel it blows everything out the water ?
  • Reply 40 of 141
    The world is far larger than you think ... maybe Google other countries.

Huawei is the second largest manufacturer in the world (yes - larger than Apple!). I myself have a Huawei P9 , Mate 10Pro and Mate 20Pro. 

If I really want to throw something else out there other than the average camera, I could be your faulty battery , slow wired charging and archaic wireless charging (you're still on 7.5w, right?). Do you want more than that? How about a superior LTE modem? More ? 

iPhone isn't bad at all - it's just a generation or three behind everything else
This discussion has been closed.