Apple rolls out watchOS 5.1.2 update, complete with ECG function

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2018
Following Thursday's early announcement of its arrival, Apple has released watchOS 5.1.2 to the public, allowing Apple Watch Series 4 users in the United States the ability to use the long-awaited electrocardiogram (ECG) function for the first time.

Released after two developer betas, watchOS 5.1.2 can now be downloaded and installed to an Apple Watch by using the iPhone's Watch app. Users need to select My Watch within the app, followed by General, then Software Update, and then to enter the iPhone or Apple Watch passcode if required to start the installation.

Apple advises users should keep the Apple Watch on its charger while the update completes the installation process.

The headline addition in watchOS 5.1.2 is the ECG app, which can be used to monitor the user's heart via electrodes in the back crystal and the Digital Crown. After a 30-second test, the app classifies the readings as atrial fibrillation (Afib,) sinus rhythm, or inconclusive.

Recordings, classifications, and noted symptoms are stored in the Health app on the iPhone, which can then be shared with a user's physician.

The ECG feature is currently only available in the United States, after it had received FDA approval. Apple intends to enable it in other markets, but that depends on acquiring regional regulatory approval.

Another heart-related feature is the Irregular Rhythm Notification, which will work for all Apple Watch models from the Series 1 onward. Using the optical heart sensor, it performs checks of a user's heart rhythm in the background for signs of irregularity, and will warn users to gain medical advice from their physician if enough checks show symptoms in a short space of time.

The watchOS 5.1.2 update also includes some changes that are not directly health related. New complications for the Infograph and Infograph Modular faces add extra elements for Messages, Home, and Mail, making them more useful to users.

AppleInsider is going through the update to see what other additions have been made to the release.

This is Apple's fourth operating system release this week, after shipping iOS 12.1.1, tvOS 12.1.1, and macOS Mojave 10.14.2 on Wednesday.
caddyman33fabo1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Not available here in New York at 1:06 PM EDT
    Maybe it will be available later today.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Now this is an exciting, potentially lifesaving update!
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    tzm41tzm41 Posts: 95member
    Does it brick anyone's watch is the main question.. 5.1 bricked mine
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Downloading to Watch now - so far no problems (on west coast).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    elector said:
    Switch your clock to standard time, and maybe you'll see it. :wink: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Download and operates fine - Sinus Rhythm, I'm going to live another day.   

FYI, my Xs bricked on the 5.1 update, but no problems with this update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Just downloaded it on East Coast. Installed perfectly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    emoeller said:

Watch ECG app tells me to set it up in Health app on iPhone, but I can’t get Health app to trigger ECG setup. Did yours just pop up a window to do it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    damonf said:
    emoeller said:

Watch ECG app tells me to set it up in Health app on iPhone, but I can’t get Health app to trigger ECG setup. Did yours just pop up a window to do it?
    I’m in the same boat. Could it have to do with using Beta on the iPhone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Down here in Australia I think we have to make do for now. My friends always said I’m heartless anyway...
    watto_cobrasaudawg
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Worked fine for me with my new Apple Watch 4 and iPhone X.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    damonf said:
    emoeller said:

I’m in the same boat. Could it have to do with using Beta on the iPhone?
    It does. Remove the beta profile and re-update everything.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    elector said:
    I’m glad you got it, but I had it available at 1:01 in Washington DC metro.

We don’t post unless we see the update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Anyone know or test how it is deciding if your AW should enable ECG based on The ‘United States’ limitiation?

Eg
     iTunes account country 
     iCloud account country
     AW model ID
     geolocation of AW
     geolocation of iPhone
     geolocation of client IP address

furthermore if its geolocation, is it when download or when install?

I’m in and out of the country a bit...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Following Thursday's early announcement of its arrival, Apple has released watchOS 5.1.2 to the public, allowing Apple Watch Series 4 users in the United States the ability to use the long-awaited electrocardiogram (ECG) function for the first time.

Released after two developer betas, watchOS 5.1.2 can now be downloaded and installed to an Apple Watch by using the iPhone's Watch app. Users need to select My Watch within the app, followed by General, then Software Update, and then to enter the iPhone or Apple Watch passcode if required to start the installation.

Apple advises users should keep the Apple Watch on its charger while the update completes the installation process.

The headline addition in watchOS 5.1.2 is the ECG app, which can be used to monitor the user's heart via electrodes in the back crystal and the Digital Crown. After a 30-second test, the app classifies the readings as atrial fibrillation (Afib,) sinus rhythm, or inconclusive.

Recordings, classifications, and noted symptoms are stored in the Health app on the iPhone, which can then be shared with a user's physician.

The ECG feature is currently only available in the United States, after it had received FDA approval. Apple intends to enable it in other markets, but that depends on acquiring regional regulatory approval.

Another heart-related feature is the Irregular Rhythm Notification, which will work for all Apple Watch models from the Series 1 onward. Using the optical heart sensor, it performs checks of a user's heart rhythm in the background for signs of irregularity, and will warn users to gain medical advice from their physician if enough checks show symptoms in a short space of time.

The watchOS 5.1.2 update also includes some changes that are not directly health related. New complications for the Infograph and Infograph Modular faces add extra elements for Messages, Home, and Mail, making them more useful to users.

AppleInsider is going through the update to see what other additions have been made to the release.

This is Apple's fourth operating system release this week, after shipping iOS 12.1.1, tvOS 12.1.1, and macOS Mojave 10.14.2 on Wednesday.
    When is Apple going to get it cleared for Australia. This was the main reason I upgraded.