Apple execs trying to escape family friendly-only brush with recent streaming negotiations...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple may be reconsidering its policy of "family friendly" content for its rumored video streaming service, after a report claims it is attempting to acquire the rights for an adaptation of a violent drama from Israel starring Richard Gere.

Richard Gere in the crime-thriller
Richard Gere in the crime-thriller "Primal Fear"

The negotiations for the adaptation of "Nevelot" are at an advanced stage, with Apple managing to beat competitors including Amazon, Showtime, and FX, sources of CNBC claim. Previously under development by HBO, Apple and 21st Century Fox are now thought to be co-producing the show, as a vehicle for actor Richard Gere.

Current contenders to run the show are Howard Gordon and Warren Leight, who are said to be in negotiations to reformat it for American audiences. Both have seen major success in show production, with Gordon previously working on "24" and "Homeland," while Leight helped make "In Treatment" and the "Law and Order" shows "SVU" and "Criminal Intent."

The negotiations are ongoing, and could still fail, with sources suggesting agreements need to be reached on a number of areas, including its budget.

While the show potentially joins a large roster of programs that Apple has in development, the notable element here is that the show strays far away from the "family friendly" nature of practically everything else Apple is involved with content-wise.

"Nevelot," is a gritty thriller that follows two veterans who go on a killing spree, on the belief that the youth of today do not understand the sacrifices made by previous generations. The title of the show itself translates to "Bastards," meaning it is likely to be renamed for Western audiences.

Reports since 2017 indicated Apple was sticking to sanitized content for its programming, avoiding the violence, profanity, and nudity of HBO and Showtime while also steering clear of edgy topics like politics. While these may be attractive types of content for Netflix and other streaming services, Apple instead aimed for inoffensive content that could be viewed by almost everyone.

An example of this is the Dr. Dre scripted show "Vital Signs," spiked by the company for being too violent.

Former NBC and Fox programming executive Preston Beckman suggested in September Apple would be extremely exposed if it produced risky content, due to being a consumer product company. While Netflix may lose a subscriber objecting to content, Beckman noted, "With Apple, you can say 'I'm going to punish them by not buying their phone or computer."

The change in view to producing some content that could be rated TV-MA has been prompted largely by an effort by heads of programming Zach Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht to dispel the family-friendly myth. Instead, report sources claim Apple is looking for high-impact content based on existing properties Apple has heard of, with "different" content with substance but isn't gratuitous.

The mature content search is not the only direction Apple is taking, as it is also reportedly looking into increasing its programming for younger users. Starting in 2019, Apple will apparently look for shows for children, with the expectation of parental controls being put in place to prevent any accidental viewing of inappropriate content.

Earlier reports advised Apple was spending at least $1 billion on its raft of original content, with the first wave of shows tipped for release in early 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I think that Apple realized that only providing "family friendly" content may not sell, especially with other streaming services offering adult-only content, such as Netflix and others.
    airnerd
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Well, they can sell violence but are afraid of anything sexual.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    danuff said:
    I think that Apple realized that only providing "family friendly" content may not sell, especially with other streaming services offering adult-only content, such as Netflix and others.
    Or maybe it was all BS to begin with. We simply do not, cannot, and will not know.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 4 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    danuff said:
    Were any of the reports even confirmed? Apples first rumored series was almost X rated.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    So does that mean we are going to see Boogie Nights the TV series? /s
  • Reply 6 of 18
    danuff said:
    Netflix isn’t “adult-only” content.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Develop good contents family friendly and otherwise and label appropriately.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Richard Gere?  I guess the Chinese market isn't a priority then.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    danuff said:
    Or maybe it was all BS to begin with. We simply do not, cannot, and will not know.
    That’s my take. We only had conjecture and guesswork that this was ever Apple’s policy. 

It’s a bit like the analysts claiming that under-the-screen fingerprint readers were pulled from the iPhone two days before launch due to reliability problems. 

When the pundits say Apple changed its mind, what they really mean is that we, the pundits, got it wrong in the first place. 
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 10 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    crowley said:
    ?

Never mind.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 11 of 18
    crowley said:
    The Chinese market has their own TV boxes with massive shows. Apple shouldn't be bothered to compete on that end. Netflix has some but only the tip of the iceberg.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    This would make sense.  You can still offer adult intended content as long as you have ratings locks which Apple can do.  We have it through Netflix, my son has a netflix profile and I have my profile.  mainly it is so my recommendations aren't kid related but also keeps him from running across something like Archer that looks like a kids show but isn't.  

Except Netflix removed Archer, and I hate them for that.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    If the Israeli version of the show had graphic violence, it's not going to be very hard for the American adaptation to remove that and go with a PG-13 type of style. I have no idea why anyone would interpret this as Apple suddenly deciding to do R rated content. American network TV has plenty of violence. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Richard gd Gere??

Questionable/poor decision number 784 in Apple's ongoing, feeble attempts to have a successful media/culture/social influence.

I appreciate Eddie Cue's role in making Apple what it is today. But how much longer is Apple going to continue letting him fuck everything up?

At what point does Cue himself not muster up the integrity to let someone else take the reigns?

He's infamous for his poor taste*, yet Apple is putting him in charge of Apple's media efforts???

*Flipping off Rhianna at a basketball game, wearing obnoxious shirts that bring attention to himself when the attention should be on the products, dressing up for negotiations with media execs like he's on his way to the breakfast buffet at the Hawaiian Hilton, on and on..
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 15 of 18
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Richard gd Gere??

Questionable/poor decision number 784 in Apple's ongoing, feeble attempts to have a successful media/culture/social influence.

I appreciate Eddie Cue's role in making Apple what it is today. But how much longer is Apple going to continue letting him fuck everything up?

At what point does Cue himself not muster up the integrity to let someone else take the reigns?

He's infamous for his poor taste*, yet Apple is putting him in charge of Apple's media efforts???

*Flipping off Rhianna at a basketball game, wearing obnoxious shirts that bring attention to himself when the attention should be on the products, dressing up for negotiations with media execs like he's on his way to the breakfast buffet at the Hawaiian Hilton, on and on..
    The service hasn't even been announced yet......
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Richard gd Gere??

The service hasn't even been announced yet......
    Correct. My point is that the signs aren't good, particularly given the historical context.. planet of the apps flopped, carpool karaoke seems to be a flop, beats radio (despite actually being great) is not popular, in part because apple music seems to have limited success relative to being the default, siri-compatable service for all iOS devices, not to mention the failure of siri despite a several year lead on the competition, bumbled maps deployment, bumbled apple TV games deployment, long delays in business adoption of apple pay (crazy that the starbucks app gets more activity than apple pay), etc....
  • Reply 17 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    danuff said:
    Did you mean Netflix offeres adult rated programming ? I watch Netflix daily and the absolutely do have kid friendly shows and movies. I mean they have a contract with Disney for goodness sake.