Microsoft rebuilding Edge browser on Chromium, porting to Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited December 2018
Microsoft on Thursday announced plans to rebuild its Edge browser, included with Windows 10, to run on Chromium -- and in the process, port it to macOS for the first time.

Microsoft Edge on Windows 10

No firm launch date for the Mac port has been announced, but it may show up in late 2019, The Verge said. Microsoft is allegedly aiming less for expanded marketshare than making it easier for Mac-based Web developers to test on Edge without having to use Boot Camp to run Windows.

Chromium is the same open-source rendering engine that underlies Google Chrome, and Microsoft's corporate VP of Windows, Joe Belfiore, said that the company intends to collaborate with Google, Apple, and every other entity that makes Chromium contributions.

"People using Microsoft Edge (and potentially other browsers) will experience improved compatibility with all Web sites, while getting the best-possible battery life and hardware integration on all kinds of Windows devices," the executive commented.

Microsoft has reportedly been considering the switch for a year or more, under pressure from both businesses and the public at large to improve Web compatibility. Chrome's popularity has helped make Chromium a de facto standard.

Another benefit of the switch is that Edge will be untethered from Windows 10 and come to Windows 7 and 8, reducing headaches for organizations with older machines, and allowing Microsoft to make more frequent browser updates.

Apple and Microsoft have had browsers on each other's platforms in the past, but Internet Explorer for Mac has long been discontinued, and Apple abandoned Safari for Windows in 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Run a Windows clone of Chrome on a Mac? Let me think about that one for a minute.
    randominternetpersonchasmwilliamlondondewmejony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 614member
    Why are they wasting their time with this. Chrome is king.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Microsoft Edge on iOS is quite good, and uses WebKit (same as Safari).

Chromium is a fork of WebKit used by Google Chrome.

I wonder why Microsoft decided on Chromium vs. WebKit for their Windows Browser...  I’m not up on exactly what the differences are.

Either way, the death of Microsoft Edge (PC) is @#$’ing fantastic.
    tbornot
  • Reply 4 of 19
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    This new Microsoft under Satya is really firing on all cylinders. They’re embracing everyone and so getting their products everywhere.

A few years ago I’d almost written them off as a dinosaur that was just going to coast for a while on their former glory.

They still have a way to go, but they’re killing it at the moment, kudos to them.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Finally?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    majorslmajorsl Posts: 119unconfirmed, member
    jimh2 said:
    Why are they wasting their time with this. Chrome is king.
    Because if they just bundled Chrome "as is", they probably couldn't get their ad revenue from a customized browser loaded with their hooks in it.

Ironic that going forward on Windows I'll be using a Chrome-based browser to install Chrome.
    seanismorristbornotwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Chromium is ruined!!!! :o
  • Reply 8 of 19
    saarek said:
    This new Microsoft under Satya is really firing on all cylinders. They’re embracing everyone and so getting their products everywhere.

A few years ago I’d almost written them off as a dinosaur that was just going to coast for a while on their former glory.

They still have a way to go, but they’re killing it at the moment, kudos to them.
    For the most part I agree.  They still need to address QC issues with Windows Update (breaks things far to often) but overall Satya has done an excellent job.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Talk about the one percent of the one percent ... that’s the number of Mac users that will use this.
    tbornotwilliamlondoncornchipjony0
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Microsoft is just using what is left of their monopoly power to get a Microsoft branded browser good enough to not have to install Chrome. Then once they get enough users they'll pull away from mainstream and start fucking with Web Standards again. Same plan as Bing. I was surprised by how many people using Bing on Windows think they're using Google.
    tbornot
  • Reply 11 of 19
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Even if Microsoft rebuild Edge using Chromium they’ll still balls it up so that it’s an inferior product.

The day Microsoft launches a product that doesn’t suck, is the day Microsoft launches a vacuum cleaner...
    tbornotDAalsethwilliamlondonpscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 19
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    seanj said:
    Even if Microsoft rebuild Edge using Chromium they’ll still balls it up so that it’s an inferior product.

The day Microsoft launches a product that doesn’t suck, is the day Microsoft launches a vacuum cleaner...
    Visual studio is pretty good, I use SQL Server Management Studio extensively at work, it’s excellent.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    seanj said:

Now THAT's funny. I will be using it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    lkrupp said:
    Run a Windows clone of Chrome on a Mac? Let me think about that one for a minute.
    Yes, but there are a couple of web sites I need to access for work that require either Edge or Chrome. I don’t care for Microsoft, but I don’t trust Google, so I’d rather have Edge on my computer than Chrome
  • Reply 15 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Meh, the problem with Edge isn't the rendering engine, it's the paucity of features.
    mike54
  • Reply 16 of 19
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    Yes, but there are a couple of web sites I need to access for work that require either Edge or Chrome. I don’t care for Microsoft, but I don’t trust Google, so I’d rather have Edge on my computer than Chrome
    That’s a good plus point for Windows users. You get the web compatibility without all the Google spying. 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Microsoft is just using what is left of their monopoly power to get a Microsoft branded browser good enough to not have to install Chrome. Then once they get enough users they'll pull away from mainstream and start fucking with Web Standards again. Same plan as Bing. I was surprised by how many people using Bing on Windows think they're using Google.
    The days of Microsoft having a chance to dominate web standards is long gone. And not just because so many Windows users are dedicated Chrome or Firefox users, but mainly because of the mobile web. Microsoft has no footprint in that market. That alone makes Microsoft pretty irrelevant in the browser/web standards space. 
  • Reply 18 of 19
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    saarek said:
    seanj said:

Visual studio is pretty good, I use SQL Server Management Studio extensively at work, it’s excellent.
    They bought the source code for SQL Server from Sybase, and I’ve used far better IDEs than Visual Studio. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 19
     I am looking forward to seeing this on my Windows desktop. I’ll stick with Safari on my Mac. 
    williamlondon