Apple iPhone XS awarded smartphone camera of the year, Google Pixel 3 runner-up

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    Madtiger said:
    iPhone XS...perfect combination of pics and video and zoom and stabilization...THUS WINNER.
  • Reply 42 of 141
    What zoom are you referring to ... ? 
    That 2 x telephoto? :/

It's cute, admittedly ... 
  • Reply 43 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    I think it comes down to us Android 'dumbheads' being realists. 

You - on the other hand - come here to pat each other on the back about what a great purchase you've made. You expect that because you paid a premium, you have a premium ... and are shaken when that's not the case. 

Ok - let's go back to the 5 million votes ... non photographers and average Joes simply looking at photos and saying 'ooo ... that looks good'. So these amateurs didn't select the iPhone (in fact, knocked out Round 1). 

Let's do DXO - that's a size aimed at photographers and serious pixel peepers. They go in depth and it's a pretty objective and highly credible site. However, it comes second to the old Huawei P20Pero (even with the shoddy video pulling down the score). 

So both amateurs and photographers don't select the iPhone ? 
    You yet you still feel it blows everything out the water ?
    Did you know that DxO does not test 4k?  Bet you didn’t know that.

In fact, just FYI, since you love DxO so much.......did you know that iPhone X (2017) beat Pixel 2 in PICTURES??  Go look it up.  It lost to Pixel 2 because of video...but DxO does not test 4k.  See where i am going with this?  LOL

As for Youtube “comparison”...you’re showing people COMPRESS TO SH!T pictures...even MKHD mentioned this.  Useless comparison.

But, since you love Youtube so much...here are the videos comparisons: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3162329-post2.html

Anything else?  This is kinda fun.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 141
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Seth2015 said:
    Madtiger said:
    Seth2015 said:
    I wonder how much Apple paid for this?

Zero.  Apple is not Android OEMs.  (BTW, DPreview is very authoritative in camera world.)
    Don't you then find it interesting that when they run a blind test with 5,000,000+ votes - the iPhone doesn't come anywhere?
    And when DXOMark (also a leader in optical tests) does their reviews, the iPhone comes 3 or 4 ?
    And that any other review generally ends with the conclusion that although the iPhone is exceptional, it cannot match the Huawei?
    Seen the night pictures between the two? They can't even really be compared.

Anyway - it seems really odd that although iPhone hasn't had a winning camera for 2 or 3 years, this crops up. Beating the Pixel is one - but beating the Huawei?
    For the record, the XS is currently second behind the Huawei P20 Pro, 109 to 105, at DXOmark. That's not a huge lead by any stretch, and given the limitations of the Huawei in usability, there isn't going to be much, if any, iPhone buyers scurrying off to pick up a Mate 20 Pro. Mostly though, people are a lot less interested in high end camera features simply because the current systems are "good enough".

Obviously, DPReview found that the Mate 20 Pro didn't best the iPhone XS, because the finalists were only the Pixel 3 and the iPhone XS.

Oh btw, a blind, online test isn't really a test of image quality; it's actually a test of viewing conditions, and bias.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 141
    It's not fun for me because you're a little slow, really ... with questionable comprehension skills. Most of what you've said has been replied to above :/

Have you located a map yet?
    Have you seen there is a great world out there?
    Have you actually left your own country?

Why on earth are you bringing up the old iPhone X and Pixel 2?

• Reply 46 of 141
    Madtiger - it isn't fun for me, because frankly you're a little slow and your compression skills are lacking. Let me try again : 

There were two (2) tests that I referred to -

a) 5,000,000+ Instagram / Twitter average Joes ... they're not pixel peepers, they're just 'normal' people ... and they didn't select the iPhone
    b) DXOMark which IS aimed at the photographer and do proper, objective tests ... and they didn't select the iPhone

So what I'm getting here is that neither of the above tests, selected the iPhone. In fact, very few tests rate the iPhone above their Android counterparts. They're great cameras and generally comes at #3 - but they can't surpass yet.

Aside from IQ, they lack on flexibly - badly.

But as you keep repeating ... they take great videos! 5 stars ! 
  • Reply 47 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    Madtiger - it isn't fun for me, because frankly you're a little slow and your compression skills are lacking. Let me try again : 

There were two (2) tests that I referred to -

a) 5,000,000+ Instagram / Twitter average Joes ... they're not pixel peepers, they're just 'normal' people ... and they didn't select the iPhone
    b) DXOMark which IS aimed at the photographer and do proper, objective tests ... and they didn't select the iPhone

So what I'm getting here is that neither of the above tests, selected the iPhone. In fact, very few tests rate the iPhone above their Android counterparts. They're great cameras and generally comes at #3 - but they can't surpass yet.

Aside from IQ, they lack on flexibly - badly.

But as you keep repeating ... they take great videos! 5 stars ! 
    Hmmm, I could swear i addressed above...and you call me slow?  LOL

Keep making a fool of yourself dude.

Plenty of famous Youtubers favor iPhones: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3162329-post2.html
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 141
    Tmay - there are limitations with the iPhone as well ... it can't match it at low light and have a 16mm / 28mm / 80mm / 130mm and 270mm is a massive advantage. As is the dedicated macro mode. I can get far more shots with the Huawei than pretty much any other phone. And keep in mind the DXO results old the old P20P ...

My point is that this iPhone 'slaughters' the Android when - in fact - it's almost generally accepted that flahship Androids are going to have the better cameras. Albeit - not massively - but it's accepted. And as you say, most iPhone users are happy with not having the best / cutting edge.

With regards to the reviews, I'm showing the anyone from the average looking at Instagram to the professional, isn't choosing the iPhone. Plenty of reviews in between those extremes of people preferring the Android (cameras).

Perhaps this 'award' is biased towards video?

I mean the talk about sensor size of the XS - but the Mate20Pro get's zero mention at having the largest sensor in a smartphone? It's pretty much on par with what you'll find in mid level PnS (and high end from only a few years ago)

edited December 2018
  • Reply 49 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    Tmay - there are limitations with the iPhone as well ... it can't match it at low light and have a 16mm / 28mm / 80mm / 130mm and 270mm is a massive advantage. As is the dedicated macro mode. I can get far more shots with the Huawei than pretty much any other phone. And keep in mind the DXO results old the old P20P ...

My point is that this iPhone 'slaughters' the Android when - in fact - it's almost generally accepted that flahship Androids are going to have the better cameras. Albeit - not massively - but it's accepted. And as you say, most iPhone users are happy with not having the best / cutting edge.

With regards to the reviews, I'm showing the anyone from the average looking at Instagram to the professional, isn't choosing the iPhone. Plenty of reviews in between those extremes of people preferring the Android (cameras).

Perhaps this 'award' is biased towards video?

I mean the talk about sensor size of the XS - but the Mate20Pro get's zero mention at having the largest sensor in a smartphone? It's pretty much on par with what you'll find in mid level PnS (and high end from only a few years ago)

Youtubers: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3162329-post2.html

DxO: no 4k testing.

Are we talking about Huawei or Pixel?  Pick one unless you like to have both phones to alternate taking pics!  LOL
  • Reply 50 of 141
    In other words, iPhone XS is the most WELL-ROUNDED CAMERA SYSTEM available at this time.  Bar none.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 141
    Madtiger ... I think that after you pick up that map, you need to start reading up on photography and reviews on other phones.

I think you'll be amazed to learn the iPhone isn't the best at many things :( 

Did you know you're still on 7.5w wireless charging?
    And 240fps slow motion? 
    And sub-4000mha batteries?
    And the iPhone XR has less resolution than a Samsung S4?

I digress - so what you'r'e saying is still camera, it's not the best camera out there?
    In other words, you're agreeing with me that the Android flagships do have the superior still camera (excluding video)?
    The iPhone is actually being pulled up by the video score?

edited December 2018
  • Reply 52 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    Madtiger ... I think that after you pick up that map, you need to start reading up on photography and reviews on other phones.

I think you'll be amazed to learn the iPhone isn't the best at many things :( 

Did you know you're still on 7.5w wireless charging?
    And 240fps slow motion? 
    And sub-4000mha batteries?
    And the iPhone XR has less resolution than a Samsung S4?

I digress - so what you'r'e saying is still camera, it's not the best camera out there?
    In other words, you're agreeing with me that the Android flagships do have the superior still camera (excluding video)?
    The iPhone is actually being pulled up by the video score?

More random stuff.  Yet, RESALE VALUE and long term support (5+ years) are not on your list.  Why?

Still pic...it is a toss up b/w Xs and P3.  Some prefer one and some the other.   As for other Android, let’s make another thread if you desire.

In video, not even close b/w Xs and P3.

Thus, DPreview awarded XS with the best CAMERA SYSTEM.  Bar none.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    Haven't you got homework today?

I feel like debating with a 14 year old :/
  • Reply 54 of 141
    Seth2015 said:

Yes mommy.  I did it already.  
  • Reply 55 of 141
    Seth2015 said:

...and I feel like we've had very much better trolls before.

Enjoy your Huawei, though it seems that you are insecure about your purchase, hence, trolling.
    watto_cobraIrishPride84
  • Reply 56 of 141
    I like to keep things real ...

It pains me to see you all climaxing over this camera award and patting each other on the back, when in reality, you all seem to know so little about the real world and technology in general.

• Reply 57 of 141
    Seth2015 said:

It pains me to see you all climaxing over this camera award and patting each other on the back, when in reality, you all seem to know so little about the real world and technology in general.

I think that you drop in on AI because you've grown too lazy to masturbate to your Android tech sites, but hey, whatever works for you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 141
    Seth2015 said:

Mom keeping it real...i like that mommy.

But I like to debunk everything you said mommy.  
  • Reply 59 of 141
    I think we're saying the same thing in different ways.

You're saying best overall camera system?
    So basically a jack of all trades, master of none?
    And I'm saying still camera isn't the best, the video is what pulled it up?

It really does sound like we're saying the same thing.

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-xs-max-review-flagship-imaging-power/

"With a DxOMark Mobile overall score of 105, Apple’s iPhone XS Max achieves an excellent second place in our smartphone ranking and is currently surpassed only by Huawei’s triple-camera juggernaut P20 Pro"

"iPhone XS Max zoom images show coarse luminance noise and less detail than some high-end rivals, such as the Huawei P20 Pro and the Samsung Galaxy Note 9"

"In our comparison, the Huawei P20 Pro captures a touch more highlight detail"

"Both the Huawei P20 Pro and Samsung Galaxy Note 9 colors are little more vibrant and saturated than the color rendering of the XS Max"

"Detail is still good in typical indoor light conditions, but not quite as crisp as with the class-leading Huawei P20 Pro"

"Looking at our night scene comparison below, the levels of captured detail are similar on all three devices, but the Huawei P20 Pro and Samsung Galaxy Note 9 are better able to deal with image noise.

"The Apple device still keeps up in terms of detail in low light (20 lux), but its image output is visibly noisier than that of the Huawei P20 Pro and the Galaxy Note 9"

• Reply 60 of 141
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Madtiger said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    cjpp78 said:
    Well, I have the XS Max and the photos are something incredible better. No other smartphone have something similar , especially the pixel. Why?because the galaxy or huawei or pixel show the same limit of smartphones camera. The iPhone bring up the level of quality. This is the real step forward to bring us into the future. Not the pixel. Look the picture in a big display or tv and you will understand the differences.
    Don't go getting ahead of yourself there.lol The iPhone Xs has a nice camera and much better than previous iPhone but..The pixels have been smoking the iPhone on camera until the Xs came out..Even now it's a toss up and matter of taste when it comes to which gives the best shot most of the time..Most people still say the pixel 3 has the edge on photos, especially low light. I'd give the iPhone video as well.
    I've taken some amazing shots with my pixel 3 XL. When I had the pics printed out at Wal-Mart the workers there couldn't belieive the pics came from a phone.
    Don’t get ahead of yourself here.......Pixel has been slightly better than previous iPhones ONLY in pics. iPhone has ALWAYS been ahead in video. 

This year, XS pulled even further ahead. 
    iPhones have improved but are still behind in photography. That is a consensus opinion just by reading around. IQ is only part of picture (pun intended). The flexibility of the camera (and by extension, the phone itself) also plays a part.

Things like optical zoom, wide angle, macro, low light performance etc.

When the Mate 10 Pro was released the CEO wanted to share some shots from Alaska and compare them to the iPhone X. It wasn't possible because the iPhone X shut down due to the cold. Of course battery life and storage space also have a big role to play.
    "The photography site selected iPhone XS over other models in its shortlist, which included the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S9+ and Sony Xperia XZ3.

Implementation beats specifications every time  in the real world, and no, I have no interest in some anecdote from the Huawei CEO sitting in Anchorage at the airport comparing phones in the cold.
    The same site also said the Pixel 3 beat the iPhone XS 'hands down' for photography.

You will get shots from a Mate 20 Pro that simply aren't possible on any iPhone.
    The award was for "Smartphone Camera of the Year", not best picture.

"Winner: Apple iPhone XS

The iPhone XS faced fierce competition from the Google Pixel 3 this year, and from a pure still image quality standpoint the Pixel 3 wins hands down. But the iPhone XS takes the top spot overall thanks to a more rounded feature set that includes class-leading video, reliable AF, wide color capture and HDR display of imagery, plus a range of improvements over the original iPhone X.

New in the XS is a larger image sensor in the main camera for better dynamic range and low light performance, and a refined Portrait Mode. In a snub to traditional cameras, the XS allows you to choose your aperture after you shoot - all the way from F1.4 to F16. Cleverly, Apple has modeled the optical properties of real full-frame portrait lenses to accurately - and attractively - simulate 'real' bokeh.

Perhaps the biggest improvement though is Apple's new 'Smart HDR' feature, which takes advantage of the faster processing capabilities of the phone to capture wider dynamic scenes in stills, panoramas, and even in video up to 4K/30p, making the HEVC 4K footage the best we've seen from a smartphone. Pair all this with improved contrast on one of the best displays on the market, with accurate color management under the hood so you get the benefits of the wide gamut display without a loss in color accuracy, and you have one of the best smartphones available today."

There is going to be a shit ton of new multicamera smartphones on the market next year; good luck with that Mate 20 Pro, which I would note, at least made the shortlist for "Smartphone Camera of the Year, but sadly for you, lost to both single camera Pixel 3, and the dual camera iPhone XS.

Definitely true that next year competition will be much fiercer. In three months the P30 Pro will be with us (rumours of x10 optical zoom) and the Mate 30 Pro coinciding with the next iPhone. The Samsungs of course, next Pixels, iPhones and some dark horses (I keep hearing amazing things about the  HTC U12 plus). I think the key is going to be in the flexibility of the camera setups.
    Remind me...isn’t Huawei banned from UK, India, Australia, and USA?  I wonder why.  Just saying.  

Get one (if you can)...and get spy on by Chinese and 3rd parties.  Good luck in keeping your financials off the Chinese dark market!
    Huawei infrastructure is banned for 5G in US, Australia and New Zealand.

It is banned solely because of US pressure and based on suspicions that have never been tabled via factual information in more than 30 years. 

There are no such suspicions about US interference in communications all over the world. It has been well documented. 

The US doesn't want the Chinese to take the lead in 5G - worldwide - but that is on the cards. The US got caught with its eye off the ball. The result is that the US is trying to pressure other nations into banning Huawei equipment. The latest rumours went so far as to claim the US was offering to pay other countries so that they could stop Huawei.

In spite of the 'suspicions' no evidence has ever been presented and Huawei has rejected the claims.

On a handset level, Huawei has not been banned anywhere. Not even the US but once again, the government has basically put pressure on carriers to not sell Huawei handsets.

In the absence of any real evidence to the contrary, the true reasons for all this are simply protectionist.

Think about it for a moment. Huawei was in a position to clean up in many tenders for 5G equipment. With handsets, they are already the second largest manufacturer worldwide (aiming for top spot) without access to the world's second largest handset market.

This discussion has been closed.