ConnectSense ships HomeKit-ready Smart Outlet 2

Posted:
in iPhone
ConnectSense on Thursday released the Smart Outlet 2, a HomeKit-compatible accessory that fits on top of a standard North American wall outlet.

ConnectSense Smart Outlet 2

The accessory has two outlets of its own, plus a 2.4-amp USB port for charging iPhones, iPads, and other electronics. The product connects to Wi-Fi, eliminating the need for any sort of hub.

Each outlet can be controlled separately. In addition to HomeKit/Siri, the product supports Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, all three of which can be used to integrate gear into complex scenes and automations.

The ConnectSense iOS app provides some additional details, specifically consumption monitoring and how long something has been plugged in.

The Smart Outlet 2 costs $59 and will be available through Amazon or direct from ConnectSense.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Whats the value of this? It's cheaper to get 2 outlets of almost any other brand. I'm just waiting for a good affordable smart plug strip.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    when is someone going to build a HomeKit based plug to replace the ones in the wall so you don't have a big ugly brick sticking out?

• Reply 3 of 8
    pumasalad said:
    when is someone going to build a HomeKit based plug to replace the ones in the wall so you don't have a big ugly brick sticking out?

They already exist. Here’s one from iDevices: https://store.idevicesinc.com/idevices-wall-outlet/
  • Reply 4 of 8
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    I recall a product that was described as being able to discern what devices were causing current transients on a home power feed, and thus simply learn which devices were consuming power and how much. The idea was intriguing and potentially quite useful, but I never saw the product offered for sale. I've seen some devices that require professional installation on the breaker box, but that seems hardly practical. 
  • Reply 6 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    To me, this makes sense:   It connects the plug directly to your iOS device and HomeKit.

I see no advantage to injecting a third party hub between the two. 

Home automation is an area ripe for Apple to step in and make it sing -- with simple, easy, reliable and secure solutions.  But, so far, we have seen Apple essentially just dipping its toe into the water.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    pumasalad said:

It appears that they did.  From the ConnectSense site:

The ConnectSense Smart In-Wall Outlet is designed for both consumer and commercial-grade applications. Available in both 15A and 20A options, the Smart In-Wall Outlet is easy to install by a certified electrician and can be provisioned quickly to an available wireless network.

http://info.gridconnect.com/smart-in-wall-outlet-updates

• Reply 8 of 8
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I thought such devices were 'hokey' but I purchased an Eve outlet anyway. I've used the energy monitoring function of it to do my own home energy audit to figure out which appliances are worth replacing and to size a battery backup unit for my gas furnace. Turns out it isn't worth replacing any of my appliances. The energy monitoring of my furnace was very interesting. The only electrical information the user manual gave was that it uses a maximum of 15 amps (at 120V = 1800 watts). Turns out the true maximum for my installation is about 340 watts which means I don't need as large of a battery bank and inverter to power the furnace in the event of a power outage. Sounds like this device also includes energy monitoring.

The benefits of one of these devices that has energy monitoring is that you get instantaneous and recorded energy usage unlike a Kill-a-watt meter which only gives you cumulative usage.