Australia passes contentious encryption bill opposed by Apple, other tech companies

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
     "This is because the current government in Australia is right wing conservative and of story  
     Right wing politicians have no respect for the individual rights of the citizens"

Substitute 
    "fascist" for "right wing" and BINGO!
    kalistos2000
  • Reply 22 of 47
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Scot1 said:
     This is because the current government in Australia is right wing conservative and of story  
     Right wing politicians have no respect for the individual rights of the citizens   
    And they have the gall to call themselves market liberals.

agree Apple and Microsoft should close their flagship store doors till the courts test if this bill is constitutionally in the first place. Then you have the bill sponsor who has singlehandedly shown how little rights Aus citizens have to stop bad government.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 47
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    mattinoz said:
    Scot1 said:
     This is because the current government in Australia is right wing conservative and of story  
     Right wing politicians have no respect for the individual rights of the citizens   
    And they have the gall to call themselves market liberals.

agree Apple and Microsoft should close their flagship store doors till the courts test if this bill is constitutionally in the first place. Then you have the bill sponsor who has singlehandedly shown how little rights Aus citizens have to stop bad government.
    Don’t shut the doors, just switch off encryption altogether for iMessage in Australia, with a big bold warning that this is being done in order to comply with the spirit of a poorly articulated law.  
    edited December 2018 felix01watto_cobramattinoz
  • Reply 24 of 47
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Not such a big problem for big companies because the language is to vague, but a big problem for small companies that lack the money to pay first class lawyers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Don’t shut the doors, just switch off encryption altogether for iMessage in Australia, with a big bold warning that this is being done in order to comply with the spirit of a poorly articulated law.  
    Yes!
  • Reply 26 of 47
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    If this comes in, I'll source a phone from a different country and download updates from that country. The problem is that if Apple acquiesces to the idiot Australian government, other governments will follow. As part of Five Eyes, no doubt Australia is the thin edge of the wedge, the other 4 won't be far behind and then everyone else.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 47
    It's too bad Apple won't actually stop selling phones in Australia, or shut down entirely there.

I wonder if it applies to existing devices, or just to new ones.  I can see the notice now.  "You have a new iOS upgrade available.  You are required by law to install this upgrade, because your MPs got tired of buggering each other, and now want to bugger you."

And out of curiosity, is the abbreviation for "Members of Parliament" MPs, or MsP?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    chasm said:
    Anti-democratic.
    A law passed by a democratically elected parliament is by definition a democratic law.  You don't have to agree with the content, but you cannot call this anti-democratic just because you don't like it.
    edited December 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 47
     "This is because the current government in Australia is right wing conservative and of story  
     Right wing politicians have no respect for the individual rights of the citizens"

Substitute "fascist" for "right wing" and BINGO!
    Fascism is a product of left wing ideology if you know anything about history which you don’t. But I do agree that most of the current Republicans are RHINOS and we need to elect true conservatives that follow the Constitution and reduce big government. 
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 47
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    My favourite part of this story is Prime Minister Turnbull's comment:

"The laws of mathematics are very commendable but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia."

I'm British so I have no right to laugh at another country's governmental incompetence but Turnbull really is channeling the myth of King Canute very well.
    kalistos2000baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 47
    It is true that Australia has undertaken a backward step and this fiasco demonstrates how both political parties have absolutely no honourable principles. Fancy the Labor party feigning opposition as it waves it through Parliament.

And fancy both parties claiming this protects against terrorism when all it does is further enable it by promoting other ways of communicating - AND furthermore and most alarmingly enable spying on ordinary citizens for god knows what purpose. Fancy placing the responsibility on the likes of Apple!

Anyone who defends Australia on this is an imbecile. The law reflects precisely what Australia Is all about: sheer mediocrity that is complicit with sheer stupidity. This is evil that enables evil. Shame on Australia for its patheticness!!! Not proud to be Australian at all - In fact I’m thoroughly assamed!

I have to confess I’m not surprised at this latest development in Australia: it’s politicians and the comatosed masses have never failed to strive for and reach mediocrity! Just look at the MyHealth record fiasco or the sheer aggression of the Australian Bureau of Statistics (they threatened me with imprisonment for refusing to participate in their 9 month (!) household survey! Trust me people - Australia is insane on privacy invasion.... but I digress)

Gold medals in mediocrity, stupidity and evil to everyone concerned. Well done Australia - you have excelled on these fronts.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Fine. Apple can make a 'Stupid iOS' version for the self-destructive, totalitarian rectal pores in Australia, China, Russia, ad nauseam.... The rest of us get REAL security.

The next day, the backdoor into Stupid iOS becomes public knowledge and the free world SHAMES Australia, ad nauseam.

For those who'd enjoy learning about the fruits of totalitarian surveillance, the estate of George Orwell very kindly provides a FREE copy of the book 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' to read online here:

http://www.george-orwell.org/1984/index.html

"The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live -- did live, from habit that became instinct -- in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized. . . ."

Have fun Australia. I personally will NEVER give up my human right to PRIVACY or my right to NOT INCRIMINATE MYSELF. It's built into my country's Constitution. Sad to be you. Happy to enjoy Apple's devotion to human rights!

Oh and Australia: The Terrorists Just WON. You lost.
    Their country is turning into the Lebanon of the 60’s and 70’s. It won’t be long until it’s flooded with the same people who overtook Lebanon and destroyed its beauty 😉
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Privacy is under continual assault in our global digital world.  Governments are demanding access to our computers and devices while corporations feel entitled to monetize all customer data.  It is unlikely that corporations will be interested in customer security, Governments will continue to encroach on privacy rights in the name of national security.  Only direct participation of technologists in the discussions of these issues can produce the policies and laws needed ensure our privacy and security.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Well, Apple doesn’t keep copies or have access to the encryption keys for iMessage, so.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Apple really should just close up shop in Australia until this blows over. Google would do the same if they knew what was good for them.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Let them enjoy Huawei phones.
    Anachr0nbaconstang
  • Reply 37 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:
    If you want to see true fascism, the nanny state with its corporatist triumpherate of Big Corporates working with Big Unions enabled by Big Government, watch Australia.  Regulated to enervation.
    And they’ve already disarmed the population so the people can do nothing about it.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    loopless said:
    The current conservative government in Australia is self-destructing just like the Republicans in the US, hopefully the next government will change this stupid law. 
    And don't knock Australia's democracy, it is a far more democratic country that the US. No gerrymandering, no dis-enfranchisment of minorities, and a far greater percentage of eligible voters actually get out and vote (on a weekend!) And far, far fewer guns. Oh, and universal healthcare. But I digress...
    You obviously do not understand Australia Law.  Australian, by law, have to vote.  If they do not show up at the polls they receive a fine from the government.  That's why it's held on a weekend.  In fact, it unfortunately throws of their economy within the country leading up to an election because Australians will typically not travel at that time so they can vote without a fine.

Australia is a fantastic country, but to think they don't have their own issues is a gross assumption.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 47
    trackeroz said:
    loopless said:
    The current conservative government in Australia is self-destructing just like the Republicans in the US, hopefully the next government will change this stupid law. 
    And don't knock Australia's democracy, it is a far more democratic country that the US. No gerrymandering, no dis-enfranchisment of minorities, and a far greater percentage of eligible voters actually get out and vote (on a weekend!) And far, far fewer guns. Oh, and universal healthcare. But I digress...
    No Gerrymandering? What planet are you living on? We have electorate and state level Gerrymandering. The whole states of Queensland and South Australia and Tasmania are effectively Gerrymanders.
    How so?
  • Reply 40 of 47
    sennen said:
    If this comes in, I'll source a phone from a different country and download updates from that country. The problem is that if Apple acquiesces to the idiot Australian government, other governments will follow. As part of Five Eyes, no doubt Australia is the thin edge of the wedge, the other 4 won't be far behind and then everyone else.
    The way I see it, we (Australia) have done this because we are part of the 5 eyes! No way will they respect boarders! Yanks don’t like the look of a guy because he isn’t ”white enough” they’ll just get there Aussie buddies to check in on him!
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra