Apple Store app sends rare push notification to promote new iPhone models

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2019
Apple on Thursday sent out a rare push notification promoting its latest iPhone XR and XS models to iPhone Upgrade Program members, continuing an advertising blitz that began with a limited time trade-in offer last month.

iPhone Ad
Source: Steve Lederer via Twitter

The advertisement showed up this afternoon as a push notification from the Apple Store app for iOS. How Apple generated the recipient list -- and how large that list is -- is unclear, but the promotion specifically targets iPhone Upgrade Program customers.

"Your new iPhone is ready. Choose iPhone XR or iPhone XS and speed through your upgrade today with the iPhone Upgrade Program," the ad reads.

Benign insofar as advertisements are concerned, the blurb is notable for Apple, a company that rarely turns to push notifications in an attempt to goose sales. The text itself is typical of Apple's opt-in mailer, which routinely presents information about upcoming seasonal sales, special promotions and new product releases.

A screenshot of the promotion was posted to Twitter by iOS developer Steve Lederer and later noted by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Apple stock is getting battered on rumors suggesting demand for the latest iPhone models is weaker than anticipated, and today's ad is sure to add fuel to that fire.

Last month, a number of iPhone parts suppliers revised down revenue forecasts, a development market watchers interpreted as a negative for Apple. Some analysts cut iPhone sales predictions for the important holiday quarter based on the supplier reports, but whether the estimates are directly linked to lower-than-usual iPhone demand remains unclear.

On Tuesday, a report citing sources within Apple claimed the company shuffled marketing personnel in October in a bid to boost iPhone sales. Described as a "fire drill," the move was characterized by one person as a "possible admission" that sales were not meeting expectations. AppleInsider sources refuted those claims, saying the changes were a "normal seasonal response to expected consumer trends."

The company attempted to pacify skittish investors last week. In an interview with CNET, Apple VP of marketing Greg Joswiak said iPhone XR sales have topped those of iPhone XS and XS Max every day since its release in October. The iPhone XR, which offers a number of high-end XS features at a lower price point, was expected by many to account for a majority of 2018 model year sales.

On the back of fears of soft iPhone sales, Apple in November kicked off a "limited time" promotion attached to its Give Back trade-in program. The initiative, which is still live, increases the trade-in value of some legacy iPhones by $25 to $100.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    So people that are enrolled in a program are sent a reminder to take advantage of what they enrolled in. Shocking.

"Described as a "fire drill," the move was characterized by one person. "
       I wonder what the second person had to say?
    baconstangRayz2016tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Notify me when they update the SE.
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Good. Maybe the first signs that Apple will reconsider their plans to increase prices on everything.  In an age where phone upgrades year to year are modest, and price pressure is pushing competitors to offer lower priced models, trying to get $1,000 plus dollars is crazy.  There are only so many people willing to shell out that kind of money. (Many on this site)

Tim has to get out of the maximizing quarterly profits and think of the long-term benefits to getting and keeping people in the Apple ecosystem. 
    mike54
  • Reply 4 of 14
    tailstoo said:
    Tim has to get out of the maximizing quarterly profits and think of the long-term benefits to getting and keeping people in the Apple ecosystem. 
    Did he not do that by iOS 12 rollout which is visibly faster than iOS 11 in all the devices that were updated to iOS 12?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    NY1822 said:
    So people that are enrolled in a program are sent a reminder to take advantage of what they enrolled in. Shocking.

Has Apple done this before? I’ve never received a push notification from Apple before. Emails sure but not push notifications.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Has Apple done this in the past? The wording is not good. “Your new iPhone is ready” makes it sound like you ordered something or something was ordered on your behalf. Instead it should say something like you’re eligible for a new iPhone. And it should come via email not push notification.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    NY1822 said:

Has Apple done this before? I’ve never received a push notification from Apple before. Emails sure but not push notifications.
    Yup. I’ve had a couple from the Apple Store to tell me that a new phone model was available, even though I’d just bought it. I believe you have to have the Apple Store app on your phone to receive a them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Has Apple done this in the past? The wording is not good. “Your new iPhone is ready” makes it sound like you ordered something or something was ordered on your behalf. Instead it should say something like you’re eligible for a new iPhone. And it should come via email not push notification.
    I’d probably agree with the wording if they’d separated it from the next sentences. But since they’re altogether then I don’t have a problem with it. 

The problem with your choice of words is that it doesn’t grab attention and it’s rather too long for a small onscreen notification. Notifications should be as short as possible. 

I also don’t see the problem with notifying people through the app, since notifications can be selectively switched from on or off. (You can choose to switch everything off except session appointments, repair notifications etc.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    tailstoo said:
    Did he not do that by iOS 12 rollout which is visibly faster than iOS 11 in all the devices that were updated to iOS 12?
    I think ios12 actuLly has the opposite effect as it extends the life of older phones. No good deed goes unpunished in the short term but longer term it makes people more loyal as they know their investment is protected. But as mentioned, prices keep going up while the updates have been incremental and people figure their current phone is good enough. I don’t make movies or exhibit photos so don’t need a new phone for that. I don’t need one that is thinner ( iPhone bulimia anyone?) and any speed changes are negligible for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    If I was actually a member of the likely small class of Apple users who are in the "iPhone Upgrade Program", I would expect to get a nod when my device became eligible for participating in that expected upgrade.
    thewbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    This was the front page of apple.com just a few days ago:

The US homepage is now showing this:

To me this is the biggest indication that sales might not be what Apple was expecting. They clearly want people to see XR for $449 and XS for $699. That’s what’s big and and bold. And notice too that they removed the Learn More link and changed Buy to Buy Now. I looked back at prior years and the front page of apple.com never featured anything like this.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 12 of 14
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    They are on an update cycle so it is in fact ready, they just have to trade in. It looks to me like upgrading from the X to the. XR is the issue, if thats what is being offered. Problem is the screens being different. 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    bulk001 said:
    tailstoo said:
    I think ios12 actuLly has the opposite effect as it extends the life of older phones. No good deed goes unpunished in the short term but longer term it makes people more loyal as they know their investment is protected. But as mentioned, prices keep going up while the updates have been incremental and people figure their current phone is good enough. I don’t make movies or exhibit photos so don’t need a new phone for that. I don’t need one that is thinner ( iPhone bulimia anyone?) and any speed changes are negligible for me.
    And you know what!?  Apple loves you as a customer. And you also know that in X years, when your phone is dragging ass, and a battery swap doesn’t make an improvement, you won’t have to get the latest and greatest. You can buy second hand, or buy a three year old version at a considerably lesser cost. 

Thankfully Apple isn’t about costs.