Verizon switches on eSIMs for owners of iPhone XS, XS Max & XR

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2018
U.S. carrier Verizon is beginning to activate eSIM lines for Apple's dual-SIM iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max, according to subscribers.

Verizon store

Verizon confirmed support via Twitter. To add an eSIM line, the carrier is directing people to the "Join Now" option in the My Verizon app. People using two lines will see the signal status of the second line in Control Center.

Apple enabled dual-SIM functions for 2018 iPhones with the release of iOS 12.1 in October, but at the time, no major U.S. carrier was offering compatibility. AT&T finally began eSIM activations on Wednesday in parallel with the launch of iOS 12.1.1.

As with the AT&T activation, it may take a few transfers to get a customer service representative who knows the procedure. While investigating here, it took three different transfers to get somebody who could help us on the phone.

Still missing in action are Sprint and T-Mobile, though both have promised to come onboard. T-Mobile recently previewed its eSIM activation app ahead of a December release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Xfinity Mobile, get your ass ready to join the crowd!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Definitely live. Since I’m a current subscriber, I had to contact Verizon and provide some info (IMEI and ICCID). After that, they emailed me a QR code. Removed my physical SIM, restarted my phone and scanned the QR code in Settings>Cellular>Add Cellular Plans.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I may end up using the eSIM next time I go overseas, rather than swapping for a travel SIM. Could get a bit complicated with needing different SIMs for different countries, though. If a travel SIM company jumped on board, it might be handy.

Then again, could be handy to work with a US carrier instead while there.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Only reason I did it, is so I could drop The SIM from my employer provided phone into my phone and dump their crappy android into the bottom of a drawer. No company provided apps, so don’t actually need the phone other than to receive calls. Mission accomplished. Thanks Apple and Verizon!
    SoundJudgmentracerhomie3anomefruitstandninjaredgeminipaberndog
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    I had a phone with dual SIMs 12 years ago. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    sirozha said:
    I had a phone with dual SIMs 12 years ago. 
    Key word - had....
    the first iPhone came out in 2008 - how much EDGE 3G were you pushing back then? Coincidentally the first Dual-SIM’s were introduced in Singapore the same year......as best as I can ascertain using Algore’s internet.....
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Just heard that Gruber maintains on his Podcast that he had his iPad carrier locked to ATT due to the eSIM. Can anyone confirm this? And if true, how does Verizon behave here?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    azjay said:
    Only reason I did it, is so I could drop The SIM from my employer provided phone into my phone and dump their crappy android into the bottom of a drawer. No company provided apps, so don’t actually need the phone other than to receive calls. Mission accomplished. Thanks Apple and Verizon!

If only I could do that...were not allowed to have company information on personal devices. Sooo....I have to carry around 2 iPhones. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Just heard that Gruber maintains on his Podcast that he had his iPad carrier locked to ATT due to the eSIM. Can anyone confirm this? And if true, how does Verizon behave here?
    I contacted Verizon to have my physical SIM disabled and have my service activated through eSIM, and the representative mentioned that my (unlocked iPhone XS) was somehow locked to Verizon even though I had purchased my phone directly from Apple without a SIM.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    U.S. carrier Verizon is beginning to activate eSIM lines for Apple's dual-SIM iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max, according to subscribers.

Verizon store

Verizon confirmed support via Twitter. To add an eSIM line, the carrier is directing people to the "Join Now" option in the My Verizon app. People using two lines will see the signal status of the second line in Control Center.

Apple enabled dual-SIM functions for 2018 iPhones with the release of iOS 12.1 in October, but at the time, no major U.S. carrier was offering compatibility. AT&T finally began eSIM activations on Wednesday in parallel with the launch of iOS 12.1.1.

As with the AT&T activation, it may take a few transfers to get a customer service representative who knows the procedure. While investigating here, it took three different transfers to get somebody who could help us on the phone.
    https://ovo.fyi/chaturbate/ https://ovo.fyi/xnxx/ https://ovo.fyi/tubegalore/
    Still missing in action are Sprint and T-Mobile, though both have promised to come onboard. T-Mobile recently previewed its eSIM activation app ahead of a December release.
    Xfinity Mobile, get your ass ready to join the crowd!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    azjay said:

Did you take over the company line into your account? Or were you able to add their number to your phone?  I keep being told I need to own the 2nd number in order to put it on my phone. Let me know.