Updated AirPods with wireless charging case expected in early 2019, redesign coming in lat...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    What would be nice is if you could switch them from noise cancelling to noise transmitting. There are times (on an airplane, mowing the lawn) when you want noise cancelling. There are others (running on the side of the road) were you don't want it. The AirPods have a microphone, so they could theoretically do either.

I wish Apple would license/share the W1 chip - by all accounts it takes bluetooth pairing across devices form something that is tedious at best to a smooth experience. The only problem is you need to pay $150+ to get it. I really don't care/need wireless connectivity, so for me, bluetooth is mainly a pain in the ass.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    MplsP said:
    What would be nice is if you could switch them from noise cancelling to noise transmitting. There are times (on an airplane, mowing the lawn) when you want noise cancelling. There are others (running on the side of the road) were you don't want it. The AirPods have a microphone, so they could theoretically do either.
    This is exactly what the Jabra Elite 65t do. They are noise isolating, but also have an active noise passthrough mode that pumps whatever the microphones are picking up through the buds so you can be more aware of your surroundings.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mac_128 said:
    Anyone who thinks that adoption rate is unrealistic probably doesn't own a pair or know people who do.  My girlfriend just bought five pairs of these as Xmas gifts for people who work in her office, as they are *transformative* for people who work on the phone like they all do.  A doctor friend I had dinner with last night said that a number of admins in her ward were just issued them.  They are phenomenal.  I've been holding off pending release of the first major revision and I'm feeling extremely impatient about it.
    We have several pairs, yes. While we agree that they are phenomenal, they don't feel like 110 million units sold in a single year phenomenal because of market forces. Those numbers from Kuo aren't total in the field, they are sales figures per year.

110 million in the field in total by 2021? I'll go with that. 110 million sold in 2021 alone seems improbable. That's the think about analysts predicting sales numbers for products that don't get broken out individually -- we'll never know if they were right, and they can make the predictions and claim that they got it right without fear.
    My first thought when I saw that prediction was:   "Apple is headed towards all wireless iPhones" and dropping the price of Airpods substantially, perhaps by producing a "basic" set, could help them get there -- and sell a LOT more Airpods.

Basically, I've been expecting an iPhone with NO ports -- no headphone jack, lightening or USB-C port.  But wondering how they would deal with the the earbud problem.  They certainly couldn't take away a port and simultaneously tack $150 or so onto the price of the iPhone for a pair of Airpods.  But, if they had a basic Airpod that cost a reasonable amount, they could supply them with the portless iPhones.

Just a thought.  But I'd bet a million or so that Apple has already looked into it.

My theory is that there will be a port in the form of the SmartConnector, or some descendent. Apple could route analogue audio over that port, along with USB 2.0 data speeds (which is what they do now over Lightning), and charging. So yet another proprietary dongle, but still the option would exist in the limited circumstances it would be necessary — including resetting a problem device.

Yes!   That makes sense!   It also explains why they keep that silly thing on the iPad Pro.   Currently all it does is connect to a proprietary keyboard which could be done far easier and probably cheaper with bluetooth.   They also have a similar one on Apple Watch that currently serves little or no purpose -- it's supposed to be for diagnostics but not even the genius bar has access to it.

But, I'm not so sure about using it for audio:  typically that involves sticking the headphone jack into the phone and then sticking the phone into your pocket.   I doubt that a magsafe type connector would be stable under those conditions.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Hopefully they can make the charging case smaller as I carry the case on my key chain because I don't want to forget them.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    AF_Hitt said:
    The lack of noise isolation is the one thing holding me back on these. Not only does the sound quality take a hit, but these are near useless while I am mowing the grass or flying, for example, and I have to turn them up way too loud at the gym. It's this reason that I am sticking with my trusty Powerbeats 3's.
    My SO prefers them for this reason while running, needing to be aware of outside sound. 

Besides work calls, I wear them in the gym and have never had a problem of needing to turn them up too loud, they serve this use case perfectly. 
    One would presume that a model with active noise cancellation would allow it to be adjustable or switched off. I love my AirPods and use them 90% of the time. The only time I really can't use them is on an airplane. A tad annoying that I have to pack a set of noise cancelling headphones when I'm traveling.
  • Reply 26 of 34
     I wonder about the resale market on the 1st generation pods. i wouldn’t buy just due to the hygiene. 
  • Reply 27 of 34
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    Anyone who thinks that adoption rate is unrealistic probably doesn't own a pair or know people who do.  My girlfriend just bought five pairs of these as Xmas gifts for people who work in her office, as they are *transformative* for people who work on the phone like they all do.  A doctor friend I had dinner with last night said that a number of admins in her ward were just issued them.  They are phenomenal.  I've been holding off pending release of the first major revision and I'm feeling extremely impatient about it.
    We have several pairs, yes. While we agree that they are phenomenal, they don't feel like 110 million units sold in a single year phenomenal because of market forces. Those numbers from Kuo aren't total in the field, they are sales figures per year.

110 million in the field in total by 2021? I'll go with that. 110 million sold in 2021 alone seems improbable. That's the think about analysts predicting sales numbers for products that don't get broken out individually -- we'll never know if they were right, and they can make the predictions and claim that they got it right without fear.
    My first thought when I saw that prediction was:   "Apple is headed towards all wireless iPhones" and dropping the price of Airpods substantially, perhaps by producing a "basic" set, could help them get there -- and sell a LOT more Airpods.

Basically, I've been expecting an iPhone with NO ports -- no headphone jack, lightening or USB-C port.  But wondering how they would deal with the the earbud problem.  They certainly couldn't take away a port and simultaneously tack $150 or so onto the price of the iPhone for a pair of Airpods.  But, if they had a basic Airpod that cost a reasonable amount, they could supply them with the portless iPhones.

Just a thought.  But I'd bet a million or so that Apple has already looked into it.

My theory is that there will be a port in the form of the SmartConnector, or some descendent. Apple could route analogue audio over that port, along with USB 2.0 data speeds (which is what they do now over Lightning), and charging. So yet another proprietary dongle, but still the option would exist in the limited circumstances it would be necessary — including resetting a problem device.

Yes!   That makes sense!   It also explains why they keep that silly thing on the iPad Pro.   Currently all it does is connect to a proprietary keyboard which could be done far easier and probably cheaper with bluetooth.   They also have a similar one on Apple Watch that currently serves little or no purpose -- it's supposed to be for diagnostics but not even the genius bar has access to it.

But, I'm not so sure about using it for audio:  typically that involves sticking the headphone jack into the phone and then sticking the phone into your pocket.   I doubt that a magsafe type connector would be stable under those conditions.
    Re:audio ... well it wouldn’t really be the primary means of connecting audio devices, and certainly not intended for use as you describe. As far as that goes, even Lightning doesn’t stay reliably connected when I stick it in my pocket. When the Lightning port comes off, Apple will expect all users to have BT headphones, and audio via SmartConnector would only be provided for circumstances where BT isn’t practical, or possible, as a backup. In such circumstances, the user is expected to compromise.

On the other hand, how about a smart case that attaches via the SmartConnector and provides a real headphone jack, and/or Lightning, or USB-C port, built into the case?
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 28 of 34
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    bb-15 said:
    mac_128 said:
    We have several pairs, yes. While we agree that they are phenomenal, 110 million units sold in a single year isn't. Those numbers from Kuo aren't total in the field, they are sales figures per year.

Albeit anecdotal, I’ve seen far more AirPods in the field than Apple Watches. And, I’ve seen them increase much more quickly than the watch. 
    I’ve had the opposite experience (maybe because I’m not in school, I don’t belong to a gym & I don’t participate in runner/biking groups).
    I’ve seen multiple Apple Watches in the field (shopping & at doctor’s offices). 
    I’ve seen zero AirPods in public; where people need to pay attention to where they are going & are interacting with people.  
    In public an Apple Watch is a device which can simply be worn in almost any situation where it might be useful as needed (for quietly getting notifications or quickly making payments).  

Are you kidding me? I've jumped on the public bus (low income people) and I've seen AirPods.

They're everywhere! Can't even turn on local TV without seeing people with them on the news etc.

A lot of news reporters have them on now which could be a huge market for Apple.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    sanssans Posts: 58member

The only issue, and correct me if I am wrong, is i would guess if they went with bluetooth, the keyboard would then need its own set of batteries, requiring another cable for charging. Staying with the SmartConnector would eliminate that need.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    AF_Hitt said:
    The lack of noise isolation is the one thing holding me back on these. Not only does the sound quality take a hit, but these are near useless while I am mowing the grass or flying, for example, and I have to turn them up way too loud at the gym. It's this reason that I am sticking with my trusty Powerbeats 3's.
    I would have thought that your wanting noise cancelling was finicky and frivolous -- until we got my grandson a pair of Bose news cancelling headphones -- WHAT A DIFFERENCE!  Not just in noisy environments but in most any environment -- it brings out the music so clean and pure.   Incredible!  

So, yes, I've been thinking the same.
    Noise cancellation and Isolation are not the same thing when it comes to headphones....

This is an example of a noise isolating set....and I am hoping Santa drops these off at my house on Christmas! B)

Airpods just do not fit my ears correctly unfortunately.

edited December 2018
  • Reply 31 of 34
    bb-15 said:
    mac_128 said:
    We have several pairs, yes. While we agree that they are phenomenal, 110 million units sold in a single year isn't. Those numbers from Kuo aren't total in the field, they are sales figures per year.

Albeit anecdotal, I’ve seen far more AirPods in the field than Apple Watches. And, I’ve seen them increase much more quickly than the watch. 
    I’ve had the opposite experience (maybe because I’m not in school, I don’t belong to a gym & I don’t participate in runner/biking groups).
    I’ve seen multiple Apple Watches in the field (shopping & at doctor’s offices). 
    I’ve seen zero AirPods in public; where people need to pay attention to where they are going & are interacting with people.  
    In public an Apple Watch is a device which can simply be worn in almost any situation where it might be useful as needed (for quietly getting notifications or quickly making payments).  

Do you live in an Amish community? I see AirPods frequently in Seattle, and in San Francisco last week I could’ve sworn they were handing them out at the airport, I literally saw them everywhere. 
  • Reply 32 of 34
    I live in Sydney and just today in the train and on the street, I saw at least 5 out of 10 wearing AirPods in their ears. Compare to last year, I can see it's trending fashionably everyday just like iPods back in the days. It's not too far fetched to say that AirPods are gonna be as popular as iPhone in this Christmas shopping season. Lack of better competitors also push its sales further.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 33 of 34

I think it will all depend on Apple's pricing policy. If they add their typical 20% generational price hike, then I'd agree with you. However, if they keep the price for the new ones and decrease the price of the current model when the new is introduced, I do see them live up to the numbers Kuo suggests.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    AF_Hitt said:
    Agree, I like the airpods for calls, music when working at my desk, etc., and I find they are OK at the gym, but the horrible pumping gym musak does still get through. However, they are no use for running (they fall out) or on airplanes, etc. Thankfully, I prefer to run without headphones and for travelling I use my excellent, never fly without, Bose® "QuietComfort 20" in-ear, acoustic noise cancelling headphones. It would be nice if there was one pair of in-ear headphones to rule them all, but I can't see that happening.