Apple iPhone XS awarded smartphone camera of the year, Google Pixel 3 runner-up

Comments

• Reply 101 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    Are you usually this stupid ? :/
    Or are you some sort of an iBot?
    I rather be a bot than a terrorist supporter/sympathizer.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 141
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Seth2015 said:
    Let's so resolution ... now here, your answer is going to be the same as a general iPhone user - but some facts you cannot deny : 

iPhone X - 458ppi
    iPhone XS - 458ppi
    iPhone XS Max - 458ppi
    iPhone XR - 326ppi
    iPhone 4 - 330ppi

Huawei Mate 20 Pro - 538ppi
    Samsung S9 - 570ppi
    Samsung Note 9 - 516ppi
    Pixel 3 - 443ppi
    Pixel 3XL - 523i

Here's a strange one. If you mention how low the XR actually is (even the 'ol iPhone 4 is higher), the iPhone users jump to 'you can't see higher and it's extra resources and Apple made right call!'. But - it's kinda weird that chose fairly decent resolutions on the iPhone X etc. Anyhow - put aside thesubjective and look at pure resolution (higher number, madtiger).

Improving the Next Generation of Mobile Displays

The iPhone XS Max has a very high resolution 2.7K 2688x1242 pixel display with 458 pixels per inch (ppi) producing images that look perfectly sharp with normal 20/20 Vision under all normal viewing conditions, which always includes some ambient light that always lowers the visible image contrast and perceived image sharpness (Modulation Transfer MTF). Note that displays are almost never viewed in absolute darkness under perfect viewing conditions with ideal image content. Some clueless reviewers have been pining for 4K 3840x2160 Smartphones, which would require more than double the pixels, memory, and processing power of the 2688x1242 display on the iPhone XS Max, but there would be no visual benefit for humans! As a result, it is absolutely pointless to further increase the display resolution and pixels per inch (ppi) for a marketing wild goose chase into the stratosphere, with no visual benefit for humans!

from this link:

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneXS_ShootOut_1s.htm

Pretty much defines you as "clueless", but maybe you have enough self awareness to retract that bullshit PPI argument.

I'm guessing that your argument only applies to the XR anyway, because of course that LED 326 PPI was in fact a design decision to reduce cost and increase battery life, a fair trade for the consumer.

edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    I'll make it easier for you ... (pssssst - I've even highlighted the bigger number!)

iPhone XS is 2,659mAh vs M20P at 4,200mAh
    iPhone XS wireless 7.5k vs M20P at 15w
    iPhone XS resolution 458ppi vs M20P 538ppi
    iPhone XS slow mo 240fps vs M20p 960fps

I need to be honest - I thought the caliber of iPhone users was far, far higher. I've literally dumbed as best I could and I'm pretty sure you'll quote it (again) with zero answers (again) and tell me how the Apple has the best everything (again)

I threw in some data for the XS Max battery capacity, for an actual flagship to flagship comparison;

"Despite the lower capacity battery Apple says the iPhone XS lasts up to 30 minutes longer than the iPhone X. With a larger 6.5-inch screen, the iPhone XS Max unsurprisingly has a larger capacity battery of 3,174mAh, which is the largest battery any iPhone has had. It also features 4GB of RAM".

Looks like the Huawei Mate 20 Pro has a 1/3 larger battery capacity, but I would be surprised if that was more than a 20-25% actual battery life extension. Still I'll be happy to see any actual source for test data on that.

With the exception of comparing spec sheets, you aren't actually very good at defining benefits of said specs. Sad.
  • Reply 104 of 141
    tmay said:
    Seth2015 said:
    Let's so resolution ... now here, your answer is going to be the same as a general iPhone user - but some facts you cannot deny : 

iPhone X - 458ppi
    iPhone XS - 458ppi
    iPhone XS Max - 458ppi
    iPhone XR - 326ppi
    iPhone 4 - 330ppi

Samsung S9 - 570ppi
    Samsung Note 9 - 516ppi
    Pixel 3 - 443ppi
    Pixel 3XL - 523i

Here's a strange one. If you mention how low the XR actually is (even the 'ol iPhone 4 is higher), the iPhone users jump to 'you can't see higher and it's extra resources and Apple made right call!'. But - it's kinda weird that chose fairly decent resolutions on the iPhone X etc. Anyhow - put aside thesubjective and look at pure resolution (higher number, madtiger).

The iPhone XS Max has a very high resolution 2.7K 2688x1242 pixel display with 458 pixels per inch (ppi) producing images that look perfectly sharp with normal 20/20 Vision under all normal viewing conditions, which always includes some ambient light that always lowers the visible image contrast and perceived image sharpness (Modulation Transfer MTF). Note that displays are almost never viewed in absolute darkness under perfect viewing conditions with ideal image content. Some clueless reviewers have been pining for 4K 3840x2160 Smartphones, which would require more than double the pixels, memory, and processing power of the 2688x1242 display on the iPhone XS Max, but there would be no visual benefit for humans! As a result, it is absolutely pointless to further increase the display resolution and pixels per inch (ppi) for a marketing wild goose chase into the stratosphere, with no visual benefit for humans!

from this link:

Pretty much defines you as "clueless", but maybe you have enough self awareness to retract that bullshit PPI argument.

I'm guessing that your argument only applies to the XR anyway, because of course that LED 326 PPI was in fact a design decision to reduce cost and increase battery life, a fair trade for the consumer.

Don’t bother with him...we all know Seth is a terrorist supporting moron.

The sad part is that he does not even read Android articles supporting Apple’s displays: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-display-analysis-a-real-tangible-improvement-yet-still-behind-the-curve/

And i quote:

”We would give the Galaxy Note 9 an A rating: Very good brightness with high brightness mode, great gamma control, photos app has some color management. But, it still has black clipping, and we found the color accuracy in the calibrated profiles to not be too impressive. The iPhone X and the iPhone Xs both receive A+ ratings: It has a stellar manual brightness range without utilizing high brightness mode, zero black clipping over its 8-bit intensity range, smart PWM control, the best color accuracy we have measured, good gamma control, and excellent color management with an OS that utilizes wide color. These very noticeable and experience-affecting differences allow it to pull ahead of the Note 9 based on the qualities of the display and how its software handles it....

Because of Android’s incompetence in color management, there are millions of photos posted by iOS users that no Android display can faithfully reproduce due to its lack of software support, and that is mostly on Google to blame for not asserting a serious push for it. It has led the Android community to associate accurate colors with “dull” and “muted”  when the problem is that their designers have been left restrained with the smallest color pallet available. Rarely are iPhone displays described as “dull” or “muted,” but rather “vivid” and “punchy,” yet they provide some of the most accurate and professional working displays available on the market—they don’t need to artificially oversaturate all the colors on their screens to achieve this.”

I won't even quote Anandtech because we know what they think of iPhone displays (aka top notch)!  But above is from Android's top authoritative site.  Clearly, iPhone displays (even last year's X) are heads and shoulders above the best of Android.

I am sure Seth will come back with some butthurt comment...but that’s just the village idiot that we have here running around.  
  • Reply 105 of 141
    Madtiger said:
    tmay said:
    Seth2015 said:

iPhone X - 458ppi
    iPhone XS - 458ppi
    iPhone XS Max - 458ppi
    iPhone XR - 326ppi
    iPhone 4 - 330ppi

Samsung S9 - 570ppi
    Samsung Note 9 - 516ppi
    Pixel 3 - 443ppi
    Pixel 3XL - 523i

from this link:

Don’t bother with him...we all know Seth is a terrorist supporting moron.

The sad part is that he does not even read Android articles supporting Apple’s displays: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-display-analysis-a-real-tangible-improvement-yet-still-behind-the-curve/

And i quote:

”We would give the Galaxy Note 9 an A rating: Very good brightness with high brightness mode, great gamma control, photos app has some color management. But, it still has black clipping, and we found the color accuracy in the calibrated profiles to not be too impressive. The iPhone X and the iPhone Xs both receive A+ ratings: It has a stellar manual brightness range without utilizing high brightness mode, zero black clipping over its 8-bit intensity range, smart PWM control, the best color accuracy we have measured, good gamma control, and excellent color management with an OS that utilizes wide color. These very noticeable and experience-affecting differences allow it to pull ahead of the Note 9 based on the qualities of the display and how its software handles it....

Because of Android’s incompetence in color management, there are millions of photos posted by iOS users that no Android display can faithfully reproduce due to its lack of software support, and that is mostly on Google to blame for not asserting a serious push for it. It has led the Android community to associate accurate colors with “dull” and “muted”  when the problem is that their designers have been left restrained with the smallest color pallet available. Rarely are iPhone displays described as “dull” or “muted,” but rather “vivid” and “punchy,” yet they provide some of the most accurate and professional working displays available on the market—they don’t need to artificially oversaturate all the colors on their screens to achieve this.”

I won't even quote Anandtech because we know what they think of iPhone displays (aka top notch)!  But above is from Android's top authoritative site.  Clearly, iPhone displays (even last year's X) are heads and shoulders above the best of Android.

I am sure Seth will come back with some butthurt comment...but that’s just the village idiot that we have here running around.  
    Seth hasn't yet displayed any depth of technical knowledge, other that comparing and arguing specs, which is kind of pointless.

I'm cool with his quest for "best battery life" and "best still image quality", but my mileage certainly varies, and Huawei isn't on my roadmap, at all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 141
    And from Anandtech review of Mate 20 Pro display:

"Now I have to admit that I never much understood people who were put off by hue shift of some OLED screen when viewed by off-axis angles, that is until I actually unboxed the Mate 20 Pro for the first time. Unfortunately either Huawei or the panel manufacturer are using some sort of unusual type of polarization layer above the OLED panel, which causes this effect to be a lot more pronounced than any other OLED device I’ve come across.

Another absolutely astonishing behaviour that I encountered while doing the auto-brightness greyscale measurements on the Mate 20 Pro is the fact that the display showcases large brightness artifacts in this mode.

The more concerning aspect is the base power consumption. The Mate 20 Pro showcases a very stark difference to the Mate 20. At 0 nits, meaning when the displays are showing a black image, the Mate 20 Pro consumes 519mW versus the Mate 20’s 348mW. When switching over to a full white image at minimum brightness of ~1.5nits, the Mate 20 Pro jumps almost 84mW, a delta that is uncharacteristically higher than any other OLED phone.

What is alarming for the Mate 20 Pro is that this is quite a regression over the P20 Pro, as well as the Mate 10 Pro (not graphed). These previous generations were using Samsung supplied panels, with a lower resolution of 1080p. Again I included the Galaxy S9+ in the results as well to demonstrate that 1440p isn’t the inherent issue here, as this unit also fares quite better than the Mate 20 Pro.

HiSilicon was able to get back to me and confirm that the Mate 20 Pro uses dual MIPI lanes in order to achieve the bandwidth for 1440p - something which is quite unfortunate.

The Mate 20 Pro’s result and conclusion is a bit more muted. Its battery life isn’t bad, but falls short of expectations. Here the 4200mAh battery serves as no more than to just compensate for the inefficient display.

See Seth, you had to mention display quality...and now i have to EDUCATE your profound idiocy on your own damn phone!!  Your Mate 20 PRO has basically one of the WORST (if not THE worst) OLED display on the market!!  Congratulation...Huawei achieve yet another achievement that no one wants.  Huawei actually moved the goal post on this one!! 

Seth, you just got OWNED...again.  Please please STFU...but if not, i do enjoy making you look like a damn fool.  LOL
  • Reply 107 of 141
    @tmay ;

Thanks for reply - it's great being able to chat to someone with some logic.

So 25% less battery life on the top of the range iPhone isn't a big thing? IMO that 's a fairly significant margin for a a product to be ahead? And a battery is fairly significant to most people. Also, keep in mind that between the iPhone and the Huawei, there are a number of Android devices outlasting the top of the range iPhone.

If we look at the benchmarks on the CPU (which aren't even fair), there's actually not even a 10% multi core difference between the A12 and the Mate20Pro. And Apple is going wild about the fastest, most advanced, 5 year ahead of everything SoC?  Very selective of an engineer :/ I'm glad you're not saying the Apple prefers it hat way and the market isn't ready for larger batteries though ;)

What about the 100% faster wireless charging?
    And the wired charging speed?

This all get's back to my statement that Apple should maybe focus on something else (ie a battery) rather than a SoC of instead of 10% faster chip which really does nothing in the real world. 

My opinion? The battery is really a no brainer and shouldn't even be debated anymore. It's a simple, clear answer which for the life of me, I'm unsure why some people can't grasp
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 108 of 141
    @tmay ;

I think you're missing the point. I found this site by Googling and stumbled upon a few a articles where the comments where 'iPhone is the best and kills everything in every way! Years ahead of the competition and nothing get's close! I'm so glad I bought one and you bought one!' etc etc etc If you see my first post, it was a fairly polite nudge saying 'hey guys ... none of you have used or want an Android, but be aware they're actually ahead in many categories'. 

I almost expected to get something that acknowledges that the hardware isn't quite up there, but the phone was preferred due to iOS and ecosystem. Imagine my surprise when that didn't happen and there was a fight over the specs. 

I'm on multiple technical smartphone sites and the first I've come across where the arguments make zero sense, where everything is ignored and the iPhone is simple the best at everything. It's almost like a cult or something
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 109 of 141
    @Madtiger

I have a Mate10Pro as well ... ;)

In other words, an iPhone X, a P9, Mate 10 Pro and a Mate 20 Pro. I'm able to compare and test myself, to be honest. And like I said,k I'm probably one of the only users on here which has used both phones and can give you advantages and disadvantages of both. 

There are certain metrics which cannot be argued though - but you're managing like no ones business.

I can go to my 5 year old and put down two cards on the table - a number  4 and a number 5. If I ask her to choose the bigger number, she can do it (she'll point to the 5). But here you are at 14 or 15 and you're battling with such a concept
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 110 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    @tmay ;

Thanks for reply - it's great being able to chat to someone with some logic.

So 25% less battery life on the top of the range iPhone isn't a big thing? IMO that 's a fairly significant margin for a a product to be ahead? And a battery is fairly significant to most people. Also, keep in mind that between the iPhone and the Huawei, there are a number of Android devices outlasting the top of the range iPhone.

If we look at the benchmarks on the CPU (which aren't even fair), there's actually not even a 10% multi core difference between the A12 and the Mate20Pro. And Apple is going wild about the fastest, most advanced, 5 year ahead of everything SoC?  Very selective of an engineer :/ I'm glad you're not saying the Apple prefers it hat way and the market isn't ready for larger batteries though ;)

What about the 100% faster wireless charging?
    And the wired charging speed?

This all get's back to my statement that Apple should maybe focus on something else (ie a battery) rather than a SoC of instead of 10% faster chip which really does nothing in the real world. 

My opinion? The battery is really a no brainer and shouldn't even be debated anymore. It's a simple, clear answer which for the life of me, I'm unsure why some people can't grasp
    You seem to fail at basic marketing; Apple knows its customer base, and very few are dissatisfied with current battery life of Apple products. Your  requirements make you an outlier, that would best be covered by an external battery case. That isn't something you will compromise on; hence an Android OS product. 

I, on the other hand, will not compromise on anything but iOS.

Design is a series of compromises, and Apple designs to a 10 hour battery life of iPhones, and have for some time. You are quite accepting of other compromise in the Huawei product line that Apple users wouldn't consider.
    @tmay ;

I think you're missing the point. I found this site by Googling and stumbled upon a few a articles where the comments where 'iPhone is the best and kills everything in every way! Years ahead of the competition and nothing get's close! I'm so glad I bought one and you bought one!' etc etc etc If you see my first post, it was a fairly polite nudge saying 'hey guys ... none of you have used or want an Android, but be aware they're actually ahead in many categories'. 

I almost expected to get something that acknowledges that the hardware isn't quite up there, but the phone was preferred due to iOS and ecosystem. Imagine my surprise when that didn't happen and there was a fight over the specs. 

I'm on multiple technical smartphone sites and the first I've come across where the arguments make zero sense, where everything is ignored and the iPhone is simple the best at everything. It's almost like a cult or something
    I've been on this site for a long time, and I've also been reading other sites, including Android OS device sites, and I find the posters here providing mostly a fair assessment of Apple devices, and many are indeed unhappy with some aspect of Apple. I fear you have perception bias, and fail to see how truly awful most Android OS sites are. I will not apologize for my posts here. 

It is a fact that the iPhone is the device which all others are measured, good or bad, and that is entirely due to Apple controlling almost all aspects of it's iPhone, giving the best overall balance in design, ecosystem, and experience. I will note that Vlav Savov of The Verge, considers the Google Pixel, the "iPhone" of Android OS. Why do you think that is?

For the record, I consider that you are way too focussed on hardware specs, missing the benefits that I see on a more balanced iPhone design. But that is both our choices. Yet your complaint above is the bias of AI posters. Maybe you need to be more self aware of your own biases.

I actually spend more time reading about the business of Apple, and Android OS device makers, rather than hardware; it's much more interesting.

Go here next;

https://www.ped30.com

He has great links to other writers/bloggers.

• Reply 111 of 141
    Seth2015 said:

Why are CPU benchmarks unfair?  Just because your device is bad?  Tell me more.  I explained it on page 3 why Geekbench, Spec2006, etc. are cross-platform.   

You do realize that Kirin 980 CPU multicore score is only 10% less is because it has 2 more BIG cores than iPhone XS A12, right?  I mean you're not THAT stupid, are you?  It actually is much greater than 10% if you factor in that A12 only has 2 BIG cores (and 4 small efficiency cores).  Kirin 980 has 4 BIG cores (A76) and 4 small/efficiency cores.  The difference is HUGE between A12 and Kirin 980.  But why argue...let's get someone smart to comment....

From Anandtech: "Looking at the wider range of historical SPEC2006 scores, we see the Kirin 980 just losing out to Apple’s A10 (from 2016...over TWO YRS AGO!!) in terms of performance.  No, the Kirin 980 certainly is not able to match Apple’s A12, or even A11 for that matter, and it’s likely this situation won’t change all that much in the next few generations....”

Oh, BTW, Anandtech's CPU testing is with "Performance mode ON" (also known as benchmark cheating mode).  So, even with that, it cannot even beat a 2 years old Apple chip (A10).  THINK about that for a moment there kid.  

Congratulations, your Mate 20 Pro has the worst performing display on the market for a flagship and its CPU cannot even catch up to a 2016 Apple chip!!

AGAIN, i made you look like a fool.  
  • Reply 112 of 141

Seth2015 said:
    @tmay ;

Well, kid, you don't know much about this tech stuff...and that is why we make fun of you.  You don't even know your own damn phone!  You talk smack about displays...and yet you did not even realize that your own "flagship" Android phone is a POS and full of BAD compromises.  Horrible inefficient display that drains your battery!  A CPU that is over 2 years behind Apple.

Now you talk about battery...i was holding back until you made more of a fool of yourself...but your Mate 20 Pro BATTERY LIFE in Anandtech review was FAR BELOW iPhone XS Max despite having such a huge battery!!

To quote: "The Mate 20 Pro’s result and conclusion is a bit more muted. Its battery life isn’t bad, but falls short of expectations. Here the 4200mAh battery serves as no more than to just compensate for the inefficient display."

So, your battery is HUGE...yet, in real world, your Mate 20 Pro's battery life is far behind XS Max!!  OUCH!!

In conclusion, Mate 20 Pro has crappy real world battery life, the worst OLED display ever, and somewhere between 2-3 years behind Apple custom CPU.  In other works, your device is PURE SH!T.

• Reply 113 of 141
    Seth2015 said:
    @Madtiger

In other words, an iPhone X, a P9, Mate 10 Pro and a Mate 20 Pro. I'm able to compare and test myself, to be honest. And like I said,k I'm probably one of the only users on here which has used both phones and can give you advantages and disadvantages of both. 

There are certain metrics which cannot be argued though - but you're managing like no ones business.

I can go to my 5 year old and put down two cards on the table - a number  4 and a number 5. If I ask her to choose the bigger number, she can do it (she'll point to the 5). But here you are at 14 or 15 and you're battling with such a concept
    Oh look, mate 20 Pro with 8 (EIGHT) GB of RAM got DESTROYED by XS Max (4GB RAM) in speed test: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRPxjwgqJKs

Heck, it could not even keep some of the apps open despite the double RAM advantage!  

Seth, you sir bought a POS phone with piss poor display, horrible chip that is over 2 years behind Apple, and battery life that is just crap.  Good job there kid.  
  • Reply 114 of 141
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Madtiger said:
    Seth2015 said:
    @Madtiger

Oh look, mate 20 Pro with 8 (EIGHT) GB of RAM got DESTROYED by XS Max (4GB RAM) in speed test: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vRPxjwgqJKs

Heck, it could not even keep some of the apps open despite the double RAM advantage!  

Seth, you sir bought a POS phone with piss poor display, horrible chip that is over 2 years behind Apple, and battery life that is just crap.  Good job there kid.  
    There's no one to argue with. The OP is banned. 
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 115 of 141
    gatorguy said:
    Madtiger said:
    Seth2015 said:
    @Madtiger

There's no one to argue with. The OP is banned. 
    For future reference to any Android fanboy....
  • Reply 116 of 141
    I think even Tim Cook is face palming at this thread. Lol
  • Reply 117 of 141
    I think even Tim Cook is face palming at this thread. Lol
    And yet you’re still here....

Did the facts hurt your sensitive spot?  
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 118 of 141
    Madtiger - I said I don't want to get involved in your arguments ... I'llI get banned.

But as an outsider with no allegance to any other brand and reading the thread through start to finish ... He's got some valid points.

I mean your quote of 'crappy real world battery life' ... Have you even read up on this phone? He's pasted links - but have YOU actually Googled?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 119 of 141
    In fact, here's what it looks from the outside : 

Two little boys having an argument on the playground at school . One has a bucket that holds 10 gallons water and the other 8 gallons water. The boy with the larger bucket tells him friend that he can only hold 8 gallons ... but the friend with the smaller bucket will not believe it! In fact, he insists that he can actually hold 11 gallons! Despite everyone telling him that physically he can't, he will not believe it!

The teachers hear the commotion and come outside to see what is going on. When they hear the story, they decide to show that he can only 8 gallons by taking him to the tap - but this isn't bad at all, because it's still 8 gallon of drinkable. water However, he still refuses ... stomps his feet  ... and tells everyone he holds the most water ever!

edited December 2018
  • Reply 120 of 141
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    @TheDude121 ;
    Not helpful. Responding to personal stuff with similar personal stuff is juvenile to begin with IMO, doesn't benefit the forum at all, and to top it off WILL get you banned. Suggest you edit the post right away before the opportunity to do so passes, and not repeat breaking posting rules going forward.
    edited December 2018 TheDude121
This discussion has been closed.