Apple iPhone XS awarded smartphone camera of the year, Google Pixel 3 runner-up

Comments

• Reply 121 of 141
    I will give Google credit where credit is due. Their Night Sight machine intelligence picture enhancement is one of the most impressive low-light photography features I’ve ever seen and I’d love to see Apple replicate that for iOS.
  • Reply 122 of 141
    Madtiger - I said I don't want to get involved in your arguments ... I'llI get banned.

But as an outsider with no allegance to any other brand and reading the thread through start to finish ... He's got some valid points.

I mean your quote of 'crappy real world battery life' ... Have you even read up on this phone? He's pasted links - but have YOU actually Googled?
    Valid points?  Where?  Feel free to correct me where i am wrong factually.  His “fancy” Huawei has a HUGE battery...HUGE, yet Anandtech’s battery testing shows that it is well below XS Max.............and the reason for that is the very thing that he was boasting initially..........his display is truly a marvel of crappy engineering.  His camera system lost to iPhone XS...it did not even come close...it was at least 3rd place or below.  And Kirin 980 is over 2 years behind in CPU and waaaayyyy behind in GPU.

Since you’re new, lets summarize for your education:  Huawei camera, display, processor, and battery life are nothing special...and pretty much rank below XS.  

Have a good day.
  • Reply 123 of 141
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that it's okay not to be the best at everything single thing ...

There are times you have to choose your battles wisely : your CPU is decades ahead of everyone and your screen is precisely what humans see. And your battery is good - it's very and no one is going to take that away from you. It's just the biggest or longest lasting out there - it's simple.

For second, try focus on a real world and the numbers you see on the screen.

I mean there are myriad of reviews (videos and text reviews) that don't put an Apple #1.

Do you not accept that?

EDIT : And I think numerous people have tried to correct ... 'Your bucket holds 8 gallons'

edited December 2018
  • Reply 124 of 141
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that it's okay not to be the best at everything single thing ...

There are times you have to choose your battles wisely : your CPU is decades ahead of everyone and your screen is precisely what humans see. And your battery is good - it's very and no one is going to take that away from you. It's just the biggest or longest lasting out there - it's simple.

For second, try focus on a real world and the numbers you see on the screen.

I mean there are myriad of reviews (videos and text reviews) that don't put an Apple #1.

Do you not accept that?

EDIT : And I think numerous people have tried to correct ... 'Your bucket holds 8 gallons'

I am confused...you now talk about real world...yet Seth et al were talking about PURE numbers, not real world.  Do you see the silliness of your post?  Just come clean dude.  We all know why you are here.

Bring the “myriad of reviews”.  I am open to discussing them.  I posted tons of videos to confirm DPreview’s valid conclusion.  IPhone XS camera system is indeed the best out there in pictures AND videos, bar none.  

Add in it’s A12 processor that is class-leading, bar none.  It’s display is also class-leading, bar none.

Sorry if Seth and you are hurt by facts.  Sorry.  Want a tissue?
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 125 of 141
    We're talking batteries, again.

But don't stress, dude ... I'm out ;)
  • Reply 126 of 141
    We're talking batteries, again.

But don't stress, dude ... I'm out ;)
    Yet, this is a camera thread.....
  • Reply 127 of 141
    Whew ... lucky for you ;)

*wipes brow*
  • Reply 128 of 141
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member
    Madtiger said:
    Madtiger - I said I don't want to get involved in your arguments ... I'llI get banned.

But as an outsider with no allegance to any other brand and reading the thread through start to finish ... He's got some valid points.

I mean your quote of 'crappy real world battery life' ... Have you even read up on this phone? He's pasted links - but have YOU actually Googled?
    Valid points?  Where?  Feel free to correct me where i am wrong factually.  His “fancy” Huawei has a HUGE battery...HUGE, yet Anandtech’s battery testing shows that it is well below XS Max.............and the reason for that is the very thing that he was boasting initially..........his display is truly a marvel of crappy engineering.  His camera system lost to iPhone XS...it did not even come close...it was at least 3rd place or below.  And Kirin 980 is over 2 years behind in CPU and waaaayyyy behind in GPU.

Since you’re new, lets summarize for your education:  Huawei camera, display, processor, and battery life are nothing special...and pretty much rank below XS.  

Have a good day.
    The Mate 20 Pro and the P20 Pro before it have been lauded virtually across the board.

The screen and SoC too.
    The battery life and technology in it.
    The design and finish
    The cameras and ISP
    The wireless capability

The innovation:

The 3D object modelling
    Reverse charging
    In screen fingerprint sensor
    Night Mode
    Dual frequency GPS

When you say the A12 is years ahead you are taking a very narrow view of what a SoC is.

The Kirin 980 is Balong 5000 compatible, it is using the 7nm process and is filled with world firsts. On process node alone it is right there with Apple. On that SoC you have the world's fastest mobile WiFi chip and possibly the fastest modem too. You have dual enhanced ISP, dual NPUs, plus the very latest ARM cores.

Your viewpoint basically boils down to - it is faster and so efficient that it doesn't need a bigger battery. That is short sighted.

When you put the Mate 20 Pro side by side with iPhone XS and evaluate the phones for what they offer, many people put the Mate 20 Pro ahead. Quite far ahead in fact.

Although the Mate 20 Pro is listed as having x3 optical zoom (just like the P20 Pro - released way back in March) some claim that it is really x5. No iPhone can match that. Just as no iPhone can take a hand held long exposure night shot like the Huawei phones do. No iPhone has the charging technology equivalent to the SuperCharge 2.0 SCP and no iPhone uses microcapsule, graphene film or vapour chamber cooling as far as I'm aware. No iPhone even gives you anywhere near the Pro camera settings out of the box and no iPhone has done the 3D object modelling like the Mate 20 Pro.

Game Labs even tested the Mate 20 X on three Turbo GPU 2.0 optimised titles and saw them perform at the same level as the iPhone X Max. More titles will follow and Turbo GPU 2.0 is now dealing with other system areas too.

For gaming does a 7.2 inch screen count for much? Does real-time '4D' feedback count for anything? I'm not a gamer and I don't use video either but when you look at the whole range and what they offer - on every level - you see they have a whole lot going for them.

Being faster doesn't mean much at all until you can see that speed over rivals.

I haven't heard anyone complain about performance for years on smartphone flagships. The focus moved long ago to other areas

• Reply 129 of 141
    Avon ... with respect ... you may be bombarding him with information.
    I think you have too many sentences and points in a single post

You have to select one of those points to discuss at a time.

edited December 2018
  • Reply 130 of 141
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:

Have a good day.
    The Mate 20 Pro and the P20 Pro before it have been lauded virtually across the board.

The screen and SoC too.
    The design and finish
    The cameras and ISP
    The wireless capability

The innovation:

The 3D object modelling
    Reverse charging
    Night Mode
    Dual frequency GPS

When you say the A12 is years ahead you are taking a very narrow view of what a SoC is.

The Kirin 980 is Balong 5000 compatible, it is using the 7nm process and is filled with world firsts. On process node alone it is right there with Apple. On that SoC you have the world's fastest mobile WiFi chip and possibly the fastest modem too. You have dual enhanced ISP, dual NPUs, plus the very latest ARM cores.

Your viewpoint basically boils down to - it is faster and so efficient that it doesn't need a bigger battery. That is short sighted.

When you put the Mate 20 Pro side by side with iPhone XS and evaluate the phones for what they offer, many people put the Mate 20 Pro ahead. Quite far ahead in fact.

Although the Mate 20 Pro is listed as having x3 optical zoom (just like the P20 Pro - released way back in March) some claim that it is really x5. No iPhone can match that. Just as no iPhone can take a hand held long exposure night shot like the Huawei phones do. No iPhone has the charging technology equivalent to the SuperCharge 2.0 SCP and no iPhone uses microcapsule, graphene film or vapour chamber cooling as far as I'm aware. No iPhone even gives you anywhere near the Pro camera settings out of the box and no iPhone has done the 3D object modelling like the Mate 20 Pro.

Game Labs even tested the Mate 20 X on three Turbo GPU 2.0 optimised titles and saw them perform at the same level as the iPhone X Max. More titles will follow and Turbo GPU 2.0 is now dealing with other system areas too.

For gaming does a 7.2 inch screen count for much? Does real-time '4D' feedback count for anything? I'm not a gamer and I don't use video either but when you look at the whole range and what they offer - on every level - you see they have a whole lot going for them.

I haven't heard anyone complain about performance for years on smartphone flagships. The focus moved long ago to other areas

Narrow view on A12?  Ok, A12 CPU is faster and more advance than Kirin 980 CPU...do we agree on that?  A12 is faster and more efficient...3x faster than Android even...per Anandtech.

As for ISP, NPU...A12 is no slacker in those areas as evidenced by Smart HDR in both pics and 4k video.

As for battery...you missed my point...actually you did not even understand what I wrote!  How can i be short-sighted if you missed the boat on the discussion?!

Let’s bring it back...Seth previously mentioned SPECS of battery of Huawei Mate 20...how bigger it is than iPhone...and that must mean that it is better, right?

The reason Mate 20 Pro battery life is relatively bad (despite big battery) is NOT due to Kirin 980...it is due to the piece of crap OLED display technology that Huawei used......which is funny because that (the display)  was yet another “plus” of Mate 20 PRO in his boasting.

Summary: Mate 20 Pro display is a POS, resulting in average battery life at best despite having huge ass battery.

Zoom...sure i give Mate 20 PRO that.  Supercharging?  Sure.  But if that is what all there is...then that folks is a VERY NARROW view on the topic!  :wink: 

Vapour cooling?  Seriously?!  How about the fact that Apple A12 can still beat by a WIDE margin the Kirin 980 in SUSTAINED PERFORMANCE despite iPhone having ordinary passive cooling??!!  LOL (BTW, in Anandtech testing, it was done with “cheating” mode on for Huawei.). You don’t give Apple credit for that????  Narrow view by you, no?  :wink: 

So, games need to optimized to Turbo GPU 2.0 for it to match iPhone?  How many games are optimized?  3?  4?  But that is developer dependent, right?    Sorry, i rather have phone that goes “turbo” on EVERY game without waiting for developer to optimize for it.  Such as Fortnite and Asphalt 9 running at super smooth 60 FPS on iPhone XS/XR.  You don't give credit to iPhone for 60 FPS?  :wink: 

Gaming...wonderful big screen that is also a drag on the battery and not all that accurate.  Smh. Anandtech did not have much good things to say about the Mate 20 Pro OLED display.  Sorry...not sure what you’re getting at here?!

Not that it is big deal but have you seen Phonebuff Speedtest b/w XS and Mate 20 Pro with 8GB of RAM?  mate 20 Pro could NOT keep apps in memory despite 8 GB of RAM!!!  Are you gonna credit Huawei on THAT achievement too?  :wink: 

So, having an advance processor is not a “thing” anymore?  Future proofing is not a thing anymore either?  You talk about Turbo GPU and how more titles are coming (3-4 games so far LOL)...yet you discount A12’s prowess for the future.  Strange i think.

What is the focus these days?  Better camera system?  Check...iPhone XS has the best camera system at the present time for pics and video.  Better display?  Check...iPhone XS has the best damn display, bar none.  Better processor?  Check...but according to you, it’s not a thing anymore! LOL. Better long-term software support?  Check...5+ years of support.

Anything else? 

I do look forward to seeing TheDude121 complimenting my post.  LOL
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 131 of 141
    Ok - what is happening in these two videos?

These are BATTERY videos in the real world.

Forget everything else ... look at these videos and comment.
    Remember ... videos ... battery ... videos .... battery ....

EDIT : Just the battery, please

EDIT EDIT : And you need to view the videos ... of the battery. So to be clear, we're not including anything else and focusing on the battery
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 132 of 141
    Ok - what is happening in these two videos?

These are BATTERY videos in the real world.

Forget everything else ... look at these videos and comment.
    Remember ... videos ... battery ... videos .... battery ....

EDIT : Just the battery, please

EDIT EDIT : And you need to view the videos ... of the battery. So to be clear, we're not including anything else and focusing on the battery
    Hi Seth.  Let me introduce you to: Anandtech.

edited December 2018
  • Reply 133 of 141
    You're unreal ... hehe

So no comment?
    You have nothing?
    Zero?

And if you read this ? 

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-battery-life-phone-3679230/

Or this ? 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/which-2018-flagship-phone-has-the-best-battery-life/

Or this ? 

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Best-battery-life-phones_id102507

You kept asking me for compelling proof ... and here! It's all over! 
    Here's another? Do you want videos? Links? Forbes? Tech sites?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2018/10/16/huawei-mate-20-pro-hands-on-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink/#5ae7ec4871e4

"I’m a very heavy phone user, and only Huawei and Xiaomi phones have consistently been able to last me a full day without needing a top up. The Galaxy Note 9 can sometimes do it, but not regularly. iPhones, even the largest XS Max, can never go a full day on a single charge for me"

edited December 2018
  • Reply 134 of 141

Anandtech: ”
    On the Mate 20 Pro, we see the previously discovered screen panel issues come back to haunt it. Even though it has a larger battery and a smaller screen than the Mate 20, the more expensive phone fares worse off in the test. Unfortunately the large base power handicap of the phone along with slightly worse luminance efficiency is the main cause of the results.

The Mate 20 Pro’s result and conclusion is a bit more muted. Its battery life isn’t bad, but falls short of expectations. Here the 4200mAh battery serves as no more than to just compensate for the inefficient display.“

OUCH.  Want to go back topic at hand now?

Hey, Seth...why did you have to re-register?  Don’t forget to compliment my prior post!!  Much appreciated dude.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 135 of 141
    I'm seth .. and Avon .. and the Exygon ... and every Android user you'll come across ;) In fact, I'm thinking everyone that can nail on you facts and logic, is going to be accused of being seth. But I'll admit one thing - you got very, very close to answering on the battery. I'm proud of you really

Anyhow madtiger - if I'm honest, you've absolutely killed any tech credibly you may have had with this debate. 
    No one is going to take you seriously when you talk smartphones.

I don't have a Huawei, but I can tell you good and bad
    I don't even iPhone, but I can tell you good and bad
    And believe it or not, I don't have a Samsung ... but again, I can tell you good and bad

And now I have real articles and threads to read and comment on

edited December 2018
  • Reply 136 of 141
    I'm seth .. and Avon .. and the Exygon ... and every Android user you'll come across ;) In fact, I'm thinking everyone that can nail on you facts and logic, is going to be accused of being seth. But I'll admit one thing - you got very, very close to answering on the battery. I'm proud of you really

Anyhow madtiger - if I'm honest, you've absolutely killed any tech credibly you may have had with this debate. 
    No one is going to take you seriously when you talk smartphones.

I don't have a Huawei, but I can tell you good and bad
    I don't even iPhone, but I can tell you good and bad
    And believe it or not, I don't have a Samsung ... but again, I can tell you good and bad

And now I have real articles and threads to read and comment on

Why are you still responding to me?  Because someone got hurt by facts?  :(
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 137 of 141
    Madtiger said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:

Have a good day.

The screen and SoC too.
    The design and finish
    The cameras and ISP
    The wireless capability

The innovation:

The 3D object modelling
    Reverse charging
    Night Mode
    Dual frequency GPS

Narrow view on A12?  Ok, A12 CPU is faster and more advance than Kirin 980 CPU...do we agree on that?  A12 is faster and more efficient...3x faster than Android even...per Anandtech.

As for ISP, NPU...A12 is no slacker in those areas as evidenced by Smart HDR in both pics and 4k video.

As for battery...you missed my point...actually you did not even understand what I wrote!  How can i be short-sighted if you missed the boat on the discussion?!

Let’s bring it back...Seth previously mentioned SPECS of battery of Huawei Mate 20...how bigger it is than iPhone...and that must mean that it is better, right?

The reason Mate 20 Pro battery life is relatively bad (despite big battery) is NOT due to Kirin 980...it is due to the piece of crap OLED display technology that Huawei used......which is funny because that (the display)  was yet another “plus” of Mate 20 PRO in his boasting.

Summary: Mate 20 Pro display is a POS, resulting in average battery life at best despite having huge ass battery.

Zoom...sure i give Mate 20 PRO that.  Supercharging?  Sure.  But if that is what all there is...then that folks is a VERY NARROW view on the topic!  :wink: 

Vapour cooling?  Seriously?!  How about the fact that Apple A12 can still beat by a WIDE margin the Kirin 980 in SUSTAINED PERFORMANCE despite iPhone having ordinary passive cooling??!!  LOL (BTW, in Anandtech testing, it was done with “cheating” mode on for Huawei.). You don’t give Apple credit for that????  Narrow view by you, no?  :wink: 

So, games need to optimized to Turbo GPU 2.0 for it to match iPhone?  How many games are optimized?  3?  4?  But that is developer dependent, right?    Sorry, i rather have phone that goes “turbo” on EVERY game without waiting for developer to optimize for it.  Such as Fortnite and Asphalt 9 running at super smooth 60 FPS on iPhone XS/XR.  You don't give credit to iPhone for 60 FPS?  :wink: 

Gaming...wonderful big screen that is also a drag on the battery and not all that accurate.  Smh. Anandtech did not have much good things to say about the Mate 20 Pro OLED display.  Sorry...not sure what you’re getting at here?!

Not that it is big deal but have you seen Phonebuff Speedtest b/w XS and Mate 20 Pro with 8GB of RAM?  mate 20 Pro could NOT keep apps in memory despite 8 GB of RAM!!!  Are you gonna credit Huawei on THAT achievement too?  :wink: 

So, having an advance processor is not a “thing” anymore?  Future proofing is not a thing anymore either?  You talk about Turbo GPU and how more titles are coming (3-4 games so far LOL)...yet you discount A12’s prowess for the future.  Strange i think.

What is the focus these days?  Better camera system?  Check...iPhone XS has the best camera system at the present time for pics and video.  Better display?  Check...iPhone XS has the best damn display, bar none.  Better processor?  Check...but according to you, it’s not a thing anymore! LOL. Better long-term software support?  Check...5+ years of support.

Anything else? 

I think you need to actually see both the Kirin 980 and Mate 20 presentations to see things more clearly.

The Mate 20 Pro - and in spite of any panel inefficiencies - will see you through almost two days of normal use. That is what really counts here. Everything else on the battery is simply a plus. Of course it's a massive plus.

What would you prefer, an 'efficient' panel that sees you charging the phone 'inefficiently' through the 5W charger and more often or an 'inefficient' panel that sees you charging less but through one of the best charging setups on the market, so when you use it literally flies?

It's all relative.

Read the reviews.

Efficiency (be it in memory, or anywhere else) can often be compensated. Not that there are many to be found. That seems to be what you aren't seeing because you are focusing all your attention elsewhere.

Things are relative, like performance. When was the last time performance was an issue on any flagship phone? Even from A11 to A12. Ah, yes. Apple optimised the system. Well,  so did Huawei. GPU Turbo 2.0 is an example and NOT limited to games but yes more games are being optimised for it and it is just the beginning. 'Modest' phones will be able to run games they couldn't run before. That has to be good if gaming is your thing and you simply can't afford a flagship phone.

Do I think the A12 is more advanced than the Kirin 980? The answer is no and I have given you reasons.

Watch the presentations.

Then look at what has been announced recently (which will give you a very good idea of what is coming down the pipe): HiSilicon Ascend.
  • Reply 138 of 141
    [...]
    We were told that the Pixel 3 XL was superior .
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 139 of 141
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:
    avon b7 said:
    Madtiger said:

Have a good day.

The screen and SoC too.
    The design and finish
    The cameras and ISP
    The wireless capability

The innovation:

The 3D object modelling
    Reverse charging
    Night Mode
    Dual frequency GPS

Anything else? 

I think you need to actually see both the Kirin 980 and Mate 20 presentations to see things more clearly.

The Mate 20 Pro - and in spite of any panel inefficiencies - will see you through almost two days of normal use. That is what really counts here. Everything else on the battery is simply a plus. Of course it's a massive plus.

What would you prefer, an 'efficient' panel that sees you charging the phone 'inefficiently' through the 5W charger and more often or an 'inefficient' panel that sees you charging less but through one of the best charging setups on the market, so when you use it literally flies?

It's all relative.

Read the reviews.

Efficiency (be it in memory, or anywhere else) can often be compensated. Not that there are many to be found. That seems to be what you aren't seeing because you are focusing all your attention elsewhere.

Things are relative, like performance. When was the last time performance was an issue on any flagship phone? Even from A11 to A12. Ah, yes. Apple optimised the system. Well,  so did Huawei. GPU Turbo 2.0 is an example and NOT limited to games but yes more games are being optimised for it and it is just the beginning. 'Modest' phones will be able to run games they couldn't run before. That has to be good if gaming is your thing and you simply can't afford a flagship phone.

Do I think the A12 is more advanced than the Kirin 980? The answer is no and I have given you reasons.

Watch the presentations.

Then look at what has been announced recently (which will give you a very good idea of what is coming down the pipe): HiSilicon Ascend.
    Watch presentation by Huawei?  The same company that have been caught lying thru their teeth??!!  Are you kidding me?!  In fact, they are STILL cheating...but now it is called “AI”. LOL

Remember, XS display is not only efficient but also the best damn display on the market.  You tell me that i have narrow vision...but XS display is also THE best damn display on the market, even surpassing Note 9's excellent display!  THAT’s the bigger picture that you’re totally missing (inadvertent or on purpose).

According to XDA Developer extensive review of Pixel 3 display, this is what it said about X/XS display: "The iPhone X and the iPhone Xs both receive A+ ratings: It has a stellar manual brightness range without utilizing high brightness mode, zero black clipping over its 8-bit intensity range, smart PWM control, the best color accuracy we have measured, good gamma control, and excellent color management with an OS that utilizes wide color. These very noticeable and experience-affecting differences allow it to pull ahead of the Note 9 based on the qualities of the display and how its software handles it...."

(NOTE: XDA is an Android fan site...even they agree how amazing X/XS display are!!)

XS Max battery life can get you thru 2 days too...depending on workload.  Just like Mate 20 PRO.  Heck my XS (non-Max) easily gets me thru the day and more!

Same thing when you argued about camera...sure Mate 20P has zoom...but XS has a better OVERALL CAMERA SYSTEM.  Again, THAT’s the bigger picture that you’re missing.  It is just consistent in everything.  That's the beauty of XS camera.

Same with processor.   You think that Apple only did “optimization” between A11 and A12??  Dude, read Anandtech exhaustive review!  Educate yourself...instead of basing everything on Huawei presentation!!  Geez!  Damn.

And this is why Anandtech is so impress with A12.  The overall power AND efficiency of the A12 is thru the roof for mobile.  

Anandtech: “Apple’s SoCs have better energy efficiency than all recent Android SoCs while having a nearly 2x performance advantage. I wouldn’t be surprised that if we were to normalise for energy used, Apple would have a 3x performance lead.”

Add in their Apple GPU which is by far class leader at this time...and makes it the BEST GAMING device, bar none (per Anandtech).  And this is seen with Fortnite and Asphalt 9 with 60 FPS.

Again, Anandtech: “
    The Apple A12 is a beast of a SoC.“

You ask A11 vs. A12...here’s one major difference.......SMART HDR in pics and video.  Or how about 60 FPS in gaming.  Is that big enough picture for you??

The only thing A12 is not doing is solving world hunger...maybe next software update?

And lastly, you think Apple is standing still with their processor team?  Smh
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 140 of 141
    MadTiger said:

"Same with processor.   You think that Apple only did “optimization” between A11 and A12??  Dude, read Anandtech exhaustive review!  Educate yourself...instead of basing everything on Huawei presentation!!  Geez!  Damn."

Can you see what you are doing? Where did I say 'only'?

I used the jump from A11 to A12 to highlight the performance angle.

The optimization is important as it allowed iOS 12 to run well on older phones (from A11 down). No one currently running an A11 is craving an A12 for purely performance reasons. We have long moved past the point where performance drives phones sales.

No one using a Kirin 970 is craving a Kirin 980.

Both the A12 and the Kirin 980 bring new features to the table. Those features don't seem to be helping Apple too much as sales remain flat. One of the reasons for that is that people are happy with what they have. Performance, if it were so important, would see millions upgrading. They aren't - as sales remain flat. 

The rest of what you proclaim has already been covered in my previous post. No need to change anything. Smart HDR? Do you think the Mate 10 and 20 series and the P20 series don't already do their own takes on Smart HDR?

I have no doubt that Apple's processor team is not standing still. No one said they were and they are doing amazing work but you need a little more perspective and forward thinking.

The Ascend AI processor hardware line will scale down from massive computational metrics down into 'nano' use cases and literally everything in between. And it is just part of HiSilicon's work.

When you see the scale of what they are developing, you realise Apple isn't in the same ball park. This is pulled from the top of Google's search results:

https://medium.com/syncedreview/huawei-leaps-into-ai-announces-powerful-chips-and-ml-framework-f9aa6ec87bcb

Or search for your own information.

This discussion has been closed.