Justice and governance can be blind, but willful tech ignorance by them is hurting us

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48

Awkward article. It states 'ignorance on our leaders and politicians' but nowhere does it mention what has been ignored. I presume the authors mean Pichai's reply "the iPhone is not a Google product" or some such, and therefore tag our leaders as ignorant.

Is this what was meant? If so, I wouldn't call that ignorant. Let's call a spade a spade here. Someone using an iPhone, opening Safari, going to google dot com, searching for something...the results would indeed be a Google (or Alphabet) 'product'.
    Watch all of it, or at least the highlights. These dudes are about as ignorant about tech as one can get.
    I just watched that 4 minute highlight you posted...yeah, these politicians are indeed ignorant about tech.
  • Reply 42 of 48

Here you go -- use tech to learn why the US voting system rewards the two-party and its "lesser of two evils" results:

[CGP Grey video]
    I love CGP Grey!
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Arrogance and ignorance is dangerous because someone who has both will never learn anything. 

I don’t know if you came up with this quote yourself, but I think its brilliant.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Arrogance and ignorance is dangerous because someone who has both will never learn anything. 

I don’t know if you came up with this quote yourself, but I think its brilliant.
    That is very specifically William's.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Yeah watching these old rich white guys stumble about was extremely painful. It was very clear they weren’t interested in the actual answers to their questions, but just wanted to make fanciful claims about the big bad meanies in Silicon Valley making republicans look bad. Pathetic.
    Saw that too lol.  They forget about watching old black guys tell us that the island of Guam would capsize if too populated.  Now THAT'S being ignorant.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rwx9901 said:
    Yeah watching these old rich white guys stumble about was extremely painful. It was very clear they weren’t interested in the actual answers to their questions, but just wanted to make fanciful claims about the big bad meanies in Silicon Valley making republicans look bad. Pathetic.
    Saw that too lol.  They forget about watching old black guys tell us that the island of Guam would capsize if too populated.  Now THAT'S being ignorant.
    That just goes to prove that stupidity is not exclusive to any race, age or gender.  It's available to all.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    I think the issue cuts both ways in some sense. Your average tech person is probably not well versed on the finer points of the law. A scary percentage of Americans probably can’t even name the three branches of government. 
    Also, a large fraction of the population has no interest in science, which doesn’t help. If  the average citizen had more scientific knowledge, perhaps they would elect more political leaders with similar knowledge. 
    Both sides could stand to learn more about the other. 
  • Reply 48 of 48
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    rwx9901 said:
    That just goes to prove that stupidity is not exclusive to any race, age or gender.  It's available to all.
    That still doesn't mean that stupidity or other traits aren't more prevalent for some combinations of race, age or gender.  Of the three, probably age is most relevant as, ignoring potential outliers like Warren Buffet, it gets harder to learn new things as you age and you become less flexible in thinking because of physical changes in the brain.

Clark's First Law:

When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.