Class action suit alleges Apple lies to customers over size & resolution of iPhone X, XS &...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    mac_dog said:
    macxpress said:
    So they're suing to get a $10 Apple Gift Card in the end which Apple will end up making money off it because someone will buy something because they have this $10 gift card. 

Honestly...people just have too much time on their hands I guess. You could always return the phone if you didn't like it. 
    Sadly, I think it is  more the millennial mindset that is looking for a quick paycheck. They simply don’t know what hard work is. 
    Not Millennals. This sort of B***S*** has been going on for ages. Way before the Millennials were around.
    cgWerksbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 83
    DAalseth said:
    mac_dog said:
    macxpress said:
    So they're suing to get a $10 Apple Gift Card in the end which Apple will end up making money off it because someone will buy something because they have this $10 gift card. 

Honestly...people just have too much time on their hands I guess. You could always return the phone if you didn't like it. 
    Sadly, I think it is  more the millennial mindset that is looking for a quick paycheck. They simply don’t know what hard work is. 
    Not Millennals. This sort of B***S*** has been going on for ages. Way before the Millennials were around.
    Maybe, but documented proof has only gone back to the Milennals. The proof is overwhelming.

The problem is I may be a Milennal but I usually lie about it..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 83
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    In fairness, I'd hate to buy a 2.0l car and it's 1.8l ...
    or a 60" TV and it's 55" ...
    or a 21MP SLR and it's an 18MP

It's be good - fantastic really - if products were as labelled. 

To be honest though, I didn't think iPhone users would pick this up ... they're not into specs 
    The difference is like 2%. So that would be 2l compared to 1.96l. But Apple says viewable area would be less in the fine print: 

The display has rounded corners that follow a beautiful curved design, and these corners are within a standard rectangle. When measured as a standard rectangular shape, the screen is 5.85 inches (iPhone XS) and 6.46 inches (iPhone XS Max) diagonally. Actual viewable area is less
    williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 83
    The rounded corners are one of the best features of the new iPhones. I am not a fan of the notch but the round corners made me buy the iPhone X. I hope this lawsuit goes down in flames.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 83
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Oh, I see. One chooses the phone based on numbers on a box and how many “real” pixels there are, not how it feels and looks like in your hand. And obviously, you clearly feel the lack of real pixels as well, but only after the return period expires. 
    Who needs common sense anymore anyway. 
    if pixels were not important then Apple would not be bragging about them every time a new iPhone is launched.

I'm glad people sue Apple it's a way of making money in a capitalist system. 
    cgWerkswilliamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 83
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    One year ago, on two occasions, I overheard Apple store employees tell customers that the iPhone X display was larger than the iPhone 8 Plus. And I was compelled to interject a correction, as the smaller size of the X display at its premium price was a major disappointment. The X is larger in diagonal measure, but much smaller in area.
    edited December 2018 radarthekatwilliamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 83
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cpsro said:
    One year ago, on two occasions, I overheard Apple store employees tell customers that the iPhone X display was larger than the iPhone 8 Plus. And I was compelled to interject a correction, as the smaller size of the X display at its premium price was a major disappointment. The X is larger in diagonal measure, but much smaller in area.
    Why would more pixels be the sole measure on pricing an entire device? Even the display types are vastly different which affects price.
    magman1979radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 83
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Just remember the lawsuits over screen size measurements and hard disk drive storage bytes. They all claimed fraud and misrepresentation when it actually over ignorance about how technical jargon is calculated.
    edited December 2018 Soliradarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobratht
  • Reply 49 of 83
    I - for one - am glad the XR is not included this. Imagine we are already starting at 800x or something ... Every single pixel matters at that resolution!
  • Reply 50 of 83
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cpsro said:
    Yeah, we can all just imagine you skulking around an Apple store waiting for the opportunity to butt in to dispense your valuable opinions. There’s an epithet for your kind of personage.
    Solimagman1979williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 83
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Where were they in the days of analog TV when almost every single TV set over scanned?

How about the fact that 1080 resolution on TV sets represents the number of vertical pixels (sets are actually 1920x1080) and that "4K" sets are measuring the horizontal resolution (3840) and isn't "4K", so where's the class action suit for those missing 160 horizontal pixels and 345,600 total "missing" pixels.   Etc. 

Why aren't they suing car companies because posted gas mileage is rarely actually achieved in real-life driving.

Soliradarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 83
    zoetmb said:
    Where were they in the days of analog TV when almost every single TV set over scanned?

How about the fact that 1080 resolution on TV sets represents the number of vertical pixels (sets are actually 1920x1080) and that "4K" sets are measuring the horizontal resolution (3840) and isn't "4K", so where's the class action suit for those missing 160 horizontal pixels and 345,600 total "missing" pixels.   Etc. 

Why aren't they suing car companies because posted gas mileage is rarely actually achieved in real-life driving.

Um - the argument on resolution on TV's is totally different ? 
    How do you even get that situation on and iPhone situation as the same?

williamlondon
  • Reply 53 of 83
    macxpress said:
    Aren't people on here missing the point, if your buying something to a spec and it's not, then that is misleading, your not buying what you pay for. It violates the trade descriptions act so can't see how people can defend apple on this one. Where there is a blame there is a claim.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 54 of 83
    What benefit does this lawsuit realistically serve the public other than making the attorneys a little bit richer? Sad when the new frontier of information and technology only gives greedy opportunists another avenue of loophole treasure seeking.
    edited December 2018 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 83

To be honest though, I didn't think iPhone users would pick this up ... they're not into specs 
    I hope you've never bought a television. A 65" television, for example, is often 64.5".
    Soliradarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobratht
  • Reply 56 of 83
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    lkrupp said:
    Just remember the lawsuits over screen size measurements and hard disk drive storage bytes. They all claimed fraud and misrepresentation when it actually over ignorance about how technical jargon is calculated.
    The first thought I had when I read the headline was about TV/monitor screen size - weren’t there some lawsuits around that years ago? One would think that they would serve as precedent here.
    lkrupp said:
    cpsro said:
    Yeah, we can all just imagine you skulking around an Apple store waiting for the opportunity to butt in to dispense your valuable opinions. There’s an epithet for your kind of personage.
    Well, comparing diagonal screen measurements when the aspect ratios are different doesn’t really work, so if they were doing so then they were being inaccurate at best. Still, if you have the two devices next to each other, you can actually see the two to compare them - far more valuable than compareing numbers - and the effective screen size between the two is really about the same. But yeah, I’m sure the Apple Employees appreciated the ‘help!’
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 83
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    hentaiboy said:
    Notch? What notch?

I'm sure they put in a lot of hard work to find just the perfect photo that hides it so well.

dewme said:
    What's next, suing politicians for their constant stream of failed promises, lies, self serving money grabs, and alternative facts?
    Heh, it would be nice if the populace paid enough attention to do what we can easily do... vote them out. But, alas...

ablambert said:
    The problem is I may be a Milennal but I usually lie about it..
    I think for marketing and media purposes, a Millennial is anyone younger than a Baby-boomer. :)

jungmark said:
    The difference is like 2%. So that would be 2l compared to 1.96l. But Apple says viewable area would be less in the fine print: 
    They shouldn't be able to count the 'ears' either, so it's more than that.

spice-boy said:
    if pixels were not important then Apple would not be bragging about them every time a new iPhone is launched.
    No doubt.

Soli said:
    cpsro said:
    Why would more pixels be the sole measure on pricing an entire device? Even the display types are vastly different which affects price.
    What makes me sad is that people care enough to use it to make purchasing decisions. What should matter is if the size fits your use-case in terms of real-estate, and that it looks good (good-enough) to your eye. Beyond that, it's just a silly spec-battle.

zoetmb said:

Hmm, yeah, that 4K thing does seem problematic. They probably cover that in the fine print, too.
    (Is there a case if it is covered in the fine print?)

As for the car, ever heard of VW?
  • Reply 58 of 83
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    zoetmb said:

Um - the argument on resolution on TV's is totally different ? 
    How do you even get that situation on and iPhone situation as the same?

Why aren't they the same? Aren't we talking about pixel numbers?
  • Reply 59 of 83
    fahlman said:

I hope you've never bought a television. A 65" television, for example, is often 64.5".
    https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/e516aa0

I think that's the difference - the manufacture mentions the size in specs and datasheets etc . I'm not 100% on this Apple lawsuit, but it they mentioned it someone - then I'm with you all. But if they didn't and it was found out, then I think it's a legit suit ? 

williamlondon
    tv.jpg 10.2K
  • Reply 60 of 83
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Bottom line? You get the phone, see the notch? And. Return. It.