Charter Spectrum's Apple TV app & 'zero sign-on' likely delayed into 2019

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Charter Spectrum is apparently delaying the rollout of two connected features promised for the Apple TV -- namely a dedicated cable TV app and support for "zero sign-on," allowing apps to authenticate automatically when connected to a TV provider's internet service.

Apple TV 4K

The product page for the Apple TV 4K now mentions these features as "coming soon" to Charter Spectrum. Until recently, the page insisted that they would be available "later this year," in keeping with announcements made during tvOS 12's introduction in June.

The September launch of tvOS 12 came and went without a Charter Spectrum rollout, and as there are less than two weeks left in 2018, a 2019 launch may be inevitable.

Apple is known to quietly change the language in its marketing when it can't deliver on an original promise. In September the company scrubbed virtually all references to the AirPower charging mat from its website, and it's uncertain when the accessory will arrive if at all.

Other TV providers enabling the Apple TV as a cable/satellite box replacement include France's Canal and Switzerland's Salt.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I didn’t know anyone was using Apple TV as a cable/satellite box replacement...

Doesn’t sound like there has been much progress in that...

Wasn’t that (box) cable providers gravy train?  I’m shocked.  Shocked! It’s been delayed...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    DirecTV NOW -- SLING which acts like a cable service, like YouTube TV and Hulu TV
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I enjoy using my Apple TV to watch my cable channels through the apps. It lists everything I have watched recently on the top line. The only problem is when the apps sign you out and you have to go back to the sign on page. I will be very happy when Altice supports zero sign in. 
    daven
  • Reply 4 of 5
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I didn’t know anyone was using Apple TV as a cable/satellite box replacement...

Doesn’t sound like there has been much progress in that...

Wasn’t that (box) cable providers gravy train?  I’m shocked.  Shocked! It’s been delayed...
    DirecTV likes the idea.

Apple really needs to push it onto everyone.