No, Apple, a slightly bent iPad Pro straight out of the box isn't acceptable

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    Well, this is one article that people who claim AI readers are Apple fanboys and/or apologists will be sure to avoid!
    macgui
  • Reply 22 of 113
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    rwx9901 said:
    Good grief the things that people belly ache about.

Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems.  So, it's got a slight bent in it.  Does it hamper performance?  No, it does not.

I wish my life were so in tune with goodness that stupid crap like this would bother me.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!

Step back from your perfect world and take a deep breath.  So many other things to consider and concern ourselves with on this planet and you all focusing on crap like this.  Unbelievable.
    Yes, people who spend a significant amount of money on a product should be happy that it is less than perfect from the day they bought it. Fuck em, self entitled moaning idiots who don't know how lucky they are to be able to spend £769+ on an iPad. I'm with you man, they piss me off too! /s
    edited December 2018 netmage
  • Reply 22 of 113
    just sitting back reading comments and laughing LOL.  Unreal.
  • Reply 24 of 113
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Well, this is one article that people who claim AI readers are Apple fanboys and/or apologists will be sure to avoid!
    We/they are. But sometimes Apple is just indefensible. Although I'm amazed that some have tried!
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 25 of 113
    Anarchy AnnaAnarchy Anna Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Rich white guy problems. Most of us will get nothing at all for Christmas. We've been in a Great Depression for the last 20 years. Whoever wrote this, needs to live poor for a year. As in nothing but ramen noodles and rice for a year. Daddy, the new Mercedes you bought for me has a scratch, take it backkkkkk...
    tnet-primary
  • Reply 26 of 113
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Rich white guy problems. Most of us will get nothing at all for Christmas. We've been in a Great Depression for the last 20 years. Whoever wrote this, needs to live poor for a year. As in nothing but ramen noodles and rice for a year. Daddy, the new Mercedes you bought for me has a scratch, take it backkkkkk...
    Been there, done that. Then I joined the Navy and did it for several more years.
    edited December 2018 aaploutsiderdewmeelijahg
  • Reply 27 of 113
    Expect to see the new iPad Pro models on the refurb store real soon.
  • Reply 28 of 113
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    rwx9901 said:
    Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems. 
    Exactly what I was thinking. And it’s only going to get worse. The fall of the west. It ain’t gonna be pretty. 
  • Reply 29 of 113
    rwx9901 said:

Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems.  So, it's got a slight bent in it.  Does it hamper performance?  No, it does not.

I wish my life were so in tune with goodness that stupid crap like this would bother me.

Step back from your perfect world and take a deep breath.  So many other things to consider and concern ourselves with on this planet and you all focusing on crap like this.  Unbelievable.
    You may wish to walk outside leaving all electronic devices inside. Spend a few days in the world without getting the latest 'news' of Trump, climate change, oppression, etc. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel.
    docno42
  • Reply 30 of 113
    My 11” ipad pro is the single best Apple product i’ve ever purchased. It was not bent out of the box, and hasn’t bent since. And i travel a lot. I am not worried or bothered at all. The vast majority of people who buy one of the new pros won’t have an issue either. If you are one of the miniscule minority who notices a slight, imperceptible bend out of the box...and it bothers you...just EXCHANGE or RETURN it. You’ve got 14 days. Surely that is enough time. Factory imperfections like dead pixels...or a slight bend are extremely rare. Just send it back and get another. Whats the problem?

Personally, I am much more concerned about cracking the screen on my new iPad Pro than i am of bending it. 

randominternetpersonhammeroftruth
  • Reply 31 of 113
    Relieved I didn’t upgrade
    trashman69
  • Reply 32 of 113
    Of course, how does anyone really know that the pictures of bent iPad Pros on the Verge actually represent the type of variance that Apple is saying isn't considered a defect?
    tht
  • Reply 33 of 113
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    rwx9901 said:

If you read an earlier post a bent device may not be eligible for a battery replacement and who knows what else.
    trashman69macgui
  • Reply 34 of 113
    matteblack13matteblack13 Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    mac_dog said:
    rwx9901 said:
    Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems. 
    Exactly what I was thinking. And it’s only going to get worse. The fall of the west. It ain’t gonna be pretty. 
    Bahahaha, mac_dog that is HILARIOUS. I work for a company that makes items we send to China. We have a machine that checks the color to be within tolerance. The upper tolerance being 1.50 for a slew of too light/dark/red/green/blue/yellow. Let me tell you, if one of those aspects measures 1.51 on their machine...it's getting sent back. It's happened. The East is far pickier than the West. It isn't even close. 
  • Reply 35 of 113
    rwx9901 said:

I would normally agree with you that a miniscule bend in a superfluous produce shouldn't rise to the level of a complaining... but a few key points here: This is Apple, who defines it's products and justifies it's pricing based on uncompromising engineering and attention to detail. That position may, in reality, be somewhat dubious, but that's the position, and it's directly contradicted by a product that's prone to bending coming pre-bent from the factory. Second, given that Apple absolutely does (with 1st hand evidence from the first comment) look for things like minor bends in products as justification for denying repairs, this issue, almost beyond question, would result in people purchasing products that would, even before the package was opened, be denied repair coverage. If you live by the sword... Apple can't have it both ways - they can't both demand premium pricing and be quick to deny repair coverage and at the same time, sell products with flaws that would fail their own repair coverage tests right from the factory. Lastly, as others have noted... your outrage at "first world problems" is ironic given that you obviously commit your time to not only reading a site dedicated to a company who almost exclusively makes products to solve first world problems, but have taken the time to register and comment disapprovingly about the complaints of others.
    edited December 2018 clemynxlarryamacguiapres587
  • Reply 36 of 113
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I’d be curious to hear Jony Ive’s take on this considering his obsessive eye for detail and all the talk of precision engineering and how tight apples tolerances are. To try and dismiss this defect in any way - because that’s what it is, irrespective of what Apple P.R are saying, is absolutely absurd. Not to mention the potential safety issues caused by any further bending due to the structural weaknesses. Moreover what happens when people take the device in for repairs and Apple refuse to undertake it based on the above. And for those like myself that have an unusually keen eye, things like this would drive me insane. Now that may sound silly but it’s reality lol. I’m all for slim devices but they should be creating stronger alloys or using titanium or something of the sort. Even making it thicker by several microns could make all the difference in the integrity of the chassis. I would strongly advise anyone that has an issue not to take no for an answer if you do find yourself with an unhelpful employee. Do not be rude, but make sure to be assertive. 
    clemynx
  • Reply 37 of 113
    I have seen multiple phones be rejected for the discounted battery replacement for less bend than that.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    "AppleInsider's advice is this: open those iPads you've got under the tree, and check them right now, to make sure that it isn't bent prior to any use by the recipient. Take advantage of that generous holiday return period that Apple is currently offering, and get one that's not bent and don't stop until you get one."

Really?  Have you even given a present to someone?  The difference between receiving a sealed and pristine Apple box and one that someone has already opened it significant.  My advice is check the thing after it's opened by the recipient, and then come back here and post "hey, I was one of the lucky ones!"
  • Reply 39 of 113
    jorgie said:
    I have seen multiple phones be rejected for the discounted battery replacement for less bend than that.
    Really?  If there were a bend less than that you'd need a micrometer to notice it.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    The reason Apple pretends this is acceptable is because it is an inherent design flaw and is inevitable because of simple physics.

It is completely unacceptable.
    clemynxlarrya