No, Apple, a slightly bent iPad Pro straight out of the box isn't acceptable

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    And so: being unacceptable when unboxed, just return it for replacement or refund. Easy enough. 
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 42 of 113
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    gutengel said:
    Now I'm paranoid about my 12.9 iPad bending on my backpack or while traveling. I might end up making a sleeve with some metal reinforcements or something. It's pretty annoying that Apple is not really taking care of structure on their products, I know it's plane physics, but after the iPhone 6 I would have thought they learned a lesson. I'm pretty used to just through my iPadPro/MacBookPro in my luggage while traveling for work with no worries, now I guess I'd have to take special care with these gadgets...
    The topic issue is said to be a manufacturing result: not from use. Which is why some get shipped that way. And when discovered upon unboxing they get replaced or refunded per Apple policy. 
    carnegie
  • Reply 43 of 113
    JFC_PA said:
    And so: being unacceptable when unboxed, just return it for replacement or refund. Easy enough. 
    None of that is easy, or acceptable.

I was on the fence about upgrading...this solidified the fact that I will not. I'm not going to deal with the possibility of needing to return it immediately, and I'm not going to support Apple when they don't acknowledge defects.
  • Reply 44 of 113
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Rich white guy problems. Most of us will get nothing at all for Christmas. We've been in a Great Depression for the last 20 years. Whoever wrote this, needs to live poor for a year. As in nothing but ramen noodles and rice for a year. Daddy, the new Mercedes you bought for me has a scratch, take it backkkkkk...
    Imagine being a person who's not rich but wants to enjoy a nice device. You put money on the side to buy this iPad then get a bent device on delivery. Is this acceptable? No, of course it's not, and it has nothing to do with the wealth of the purchaser. We are not talking about a minuscule bend here, but about a deviation from design that's visible with the naked eye.
  • Reply 45 of 113
    The reason Apple pretends this is acceptable is because it is an inherent design flaw and is inevitable because of simple physics.

It is completely unacceptable.
    My 12.9” Pro does not exhibit this issue at all. There is no evidence it is widespread. None of us can make a conclusion as to what the problem is.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 46 of 113
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    The quality escape is uncharacteristic of Apple.  I suspect someone lost their job over this.  But like some others here, I’d be happy to take one at a reasonable discount.
  • Reply 47 of 113
    mac_dog said:
    rwx9901 said:
    Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems. 
    Exactly what I was thinking. And it’s only going to get worse. The fall of the west. It ain’t gonna be pretty. 
    M k.  So, I’m sure you won’t mind that sweater with a pull in it, or the new shirt you get with one sleeve longer than the other.    
    apres587
  • Reply 48 of 113
    Rich white guy problems. Most of us will get nothing at all for Christmas. We've been in a Great Depression for the last 20 years. Whoever wrote this, needs to live poor for a year. As in nothing but ramen noodles and rice for a year. Daddy, the new Mercedes you bought for me has a scratch, take it backkkkkk...
    Great Depression for the last 20 years? Did you time travel to our time in the Philadelphia experiment?
    anantksundaramdocno42
  • Reply 49 of 113
    I am perfectly fine with Apple shipping brand new bent iPad Pros. I just won't buy one.
  • Reply 50 of 113
    My 11” ipad pro is the single best Apple product i’ve ever purchased. It was not bent out of the box, and hasn’t bent since. And i travel a lot. I am not worried or bothered at all. The vast majority of people who buy one of the new pros won’t have an issue either. If you are one of the miniscule minority who notices a slight, imperceptible bend out of the box...and it bothers you...just EXCHANGE or RETURN it. You’ve got 14 days. Surely that is enough time. Factory imperfections like dead pixels...or a slight bend are extremely rare. Just send it back and get another. Whats the problem?

Personally, I am much more concerned about cracking the screen on my new iPad Pro than i am of bending it. 

Your last point is exactly the crux of the issue. Glass doesn't bend very far before it breaks. Attaching a flat piece of glass to a curved frame puts it under stress that increases the risk of it breaking. A bump or minor fall that a non-flawed unit would survive may be enough to break the glass on a bent unit.
  • Reply 51 of 113

greenmeenie said:
    [...] just EXCHANGE or RETURN it. You’ve got 14 days. Surely that is enough time. 
    Is it? We don't know yet. Maybe it is -- maybe if a unit is going to bend it will do it immediately, and if it doesn't bend right away it never will. On the other hand, Apple says it's a result of the manufacturing process, so maybe, depending on when the unit one gets came off the line, it can be flat at first and gradually bend over time. I'm not saying that's the case, but just that we don't have the information required to conclude that two weeks is plenty of time to remedy the fault. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.
  • Reply 52 of 113

"AppleInsider's advice is this: open those iPads you've got under the tree, and check them right now, to make sure that it isn't bent prior to any use by the recipient. Take advantage of that generous holiday return period that Apple is currently offering, and get one that's not bent and don't stop until you get one."

Really?  Have you even given a present to someone?  The difference between receiving a sealed and pristine Apple box and one that someone has already opened it significant.  My advice is check the thing after it's opened by the recipient, and then come back here and post "hey, I was one of the lucky ones!"
    My reaction was a little different. Mine was "Are people really giving each other thousand dollar iPads as Christmas gifts?" The idea that people are able to do that makes me feel financially inadequate.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 53 of 113
    The reason Apple pretends this is acceptable is because it is an inherent design flaw and is inevitable because of simple physics.

My 12.9” Pro does not exhibit this issue at all. There is no evidence it is widespread. None of us can make a conclusion as to what the problem is.
    Sure we can. Apple told us. It's a manufacturing issue.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 54 of 113
    CDCD Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It is not acceptable to sell iPad Pros that are bent. Svelte super-thin tablets and phones look great but I'm not sure that consumers are screaming to cut 2mm from their tablet. I, for one, am willing to have an extra 2mm of product thickness to ensure greater structural integrity to my tablet or phone. Besides, we add an extra 1/4" when we add that Otterbox or other case to our electronics.
    docno42apres587
  • Reply 55 of 113
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

"AppleInsider's advice is this: open those iPads you've got under the tree, and check them right now, to make sure that it isn't bent prior to any use by the recipient. Take advantage of that generous holiday return period that Apple is currently offering, and get one that's not bent and don't stop until you get one."

Really?  Have you even given a present to someone?  The difference between receiving a sealed and pristine Apple box and one that someone has already opened it significant.  My advice is check the thing after it's opened by the recipient, and then come back here and post "hey, I was one of the lucky ones!"
    My reaction was a little different. Mine was "Are people really giving each other thousand dollar iPads as Christmas gifts?" The idea that people are able to do that makes me feel financially inadequate.
    Well, I can't, nor am I able to wrap up a car with a bow like Detroit has been telling me to try to do for as long as I can remember.

But, I bet there are some. More iPads than cars, that's for sure.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 56 of 113
    PravlokPravlok Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    They refuse a $29 battery replacement if your phone is bent.  In what world should we accept a pre-bent tablet ?  Not a bug but a feature seems their explanation for every quality control lapses....software or hardware....they had a good run and unfortunately under Tim Cook they are fast becoming cocky and arrogant with their pricing and quality.
  • Reply 57 of 113
    I can speak to my personal experience with this issue.  I am on my 4th 12.9" iPad Pro.  The first 3 were cellular and had a curve starting where the antenna band was.  Swapped for a model without cellular hoping to get a straight one, this latest iPad is better, but still bent.  I can't justify spending so much money for something that is obviously flawed, even though slight, it still bugs the crap out of me.  Luckily I purchased the original unit on 11/15 so I have the extended return period.  At this point I am waiting until after Christmas at which time I will be returning this iPad and not asking for a replacement.  I love everything about the new iPP except the curve/warp frame.  Every iPP at my local Apple store shows some version of this issue, I showed this to a genius when I did my last exchange and they agreed with me.  In fact the manager took pictures and was sending them to Apple for engineer review.  I am assuming most people that say they don't have a bent iPad Pro actually do, even though slight.  I can post pictures of my bent iPP if anybody would like to see what I am talking about.......
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 58 of 113

We don’t know the root cause.
  • Reply 59 of 113
    saarek said:
    rwx9901 said:
    Good grief the things that people belly ache about.

Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems.  So, it's got a slight bent in it.  Does it hamper performance?  No, it does not.

I wish my life were so in tune with goodness that stupid crap like this would bother me.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!

Step back from your perfect world and take a deep breath.  So many other things to consider and concern ourselves with on this planet and you all focusing on crap like this.  Unbelievable.
    Yes, people who spend a significant amount of money on a product should be happy that it is less than perfect from the day they bought it. Fuck em, self entitled moaning idiots who don't know how lucky they are to be able to spend £769+ on an iPad. I'm with you man, they piss me off too! /s
    Wow...I am always amazed how people start interfering a conversation like this with sort of a crusade. Personally, I have met NO person in my decades long life who lives perfect. The person complaining about plastic waste may travel regularly by airplane, the one complaining about broken rules in the community might be breaking speed limits regularly and by doing so risking childrens lives, etc. I actually experienced all of this, and even worse. So saarek and rwx9901, you feel perfectly comfortable to face the ultimate judgement day and come off clean? Whether it is fair to have the money to spent on such a device is really not the point here, is it?! I know a lot of people who actually saved money for anlong time to spend it on an Apple product or something equally quality-wise on a differnet level. When I buy a loaf of bread and it is burned I would also complain as it does not hold up to the promise. And I am saying that from a position being able to efford such an actual device myself, but have rather spent money on some social donations. I just do not get the point of complaining against complainers of a missed expectation just because I am in a worse condition than they are (and I have been there myself!), really leaves a bitter taste and the effort would be better spent on doing something good!
    larrya
  • Reply 60 of 113

We don’t know the root cause.
    Yes, we do:

“In a statement to The Verge, Apple said the bend is a byproduct of the manufacturing process. Specifically, the warpage results from a cooling process affecting the tablet's metal and plastic components.”
    clemynxmacguianantksundaramapres587