No, Apple, a slightly bent iPad Pro straight out of the box isn't acceptable

Comments

• Reply 61 of 113
    I can speak to my personal experience with this issue.  I am on my 4th 12.9" iPad Pro.  The first 3 were cellular and had a curve starting where the antenna band was.  Swapped for a model without cellular hoping to get a straight one, this latest iPad is better, but still bent.  I can't justify spending so much money for something that is obviously flawed, even though slight, it still bugs the crap out of me. 
    No bend in my 12.9" cellular iPad Pro. We have no way of knowing if this is a widespread problem or not. It might also be a recent issue since I got my iPad Pro on the first day of delivery.
  • Reply 62 of 113
    Just go to the local Apple Store, look at the iPad Pro you want and make sure it’s perfect before you leave the store. Better than wasting your time and Apple’s by participating in some moronic class-action lawsuit.
  • Reply 63 of 113
    jdb8167 said:
    I can speak to my personal experience with this issue.  I am on my 4th 12.9" iPad Pro.  The first 3 were cellular and had a curve starting where the antenna band was.  Swapped for a model without cellular hoping to get a straight one, this latest iPad is better, but still bent.  I can't justify spending so much money for something that is obviously flawed, even though slight, it still bugs the crap out of me. 
    No bend in my 12.9" cellular iPad Pro. We have no way of knowing if this is a widespread problem or not. It might also be a recent issue since I got my iPad Pro on the first day of delivery.
    Not that I don't believe you, could you post a picture of the bottom of your iPad from the angle that's shown in this article?  
  • Reply 64 of 113
    rwx9901 said:
    Good grief the things that people belly ache about.

Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems.  So, it's got a slight bent in it.  Does it hamper performance?  No, it does not.

I wish my life were so in tune with goodness that stupid crap like this would bother me.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!

Step back from your perfect world and take a deep breath.  So many other things to consider and concern ourselves with on this planet and you all focusing on crap like this.  Unbelievable.
    The irony is thick.

As a reminder, world conflict, starving children, and the like are not AppleInsider's beat -- you may get a clue from that by the name of the site. Apple is our focus, also similarly clued by the title.
    Sometimes it’s hard to remember that with the tone some of the stories and definitely when you go to the comment section
  • Reply 65 of 113
    rwx9901 said:

Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems.  So, it's got a slight bent in it.  Does it hamper performance?  No, it does not.

I wish my life were so in tune with goodness that stupid crap like this would bother me.

Step back from your perfect world and take a deep breath.  So many other things to consider and concern ourselves with on this planet and you all focusing on crap like this.  Unbelievable.
    If everyone stopped "belly aching" about Apple's half-assery it wouldn't change anything, anywhere. If you have first world problems then own them.
  • Reply 66 of 113
    rwx9901 said:

The irony is thick.

As a reminder, world conflict, starving children, and the like are not AppleInsider's beat -- you may get a clue from that by the name of the site. Apple is our focus, also similarly clued by the title.
    Mike, they call it bitching unless it’s coming from their mouth. Then it’s a problem. 

Weird thing is this has happened on a very small scale with the previous iPad Pros, it just didn’t get media attention. 
  • Reply 67 of 113
    It’s not even the fact that there’s a minuscule bend that concerns me.  Any given product by any given manufacturing process with any company could have an error in it.  No one is perfect.  

The concern is that, while the device may perform effectively, the slight bend likely impacts the structural integrity of the device, which could make it more susceptible to breaks with even slightly rough handling within the norms of everyday use.  

The whole point of this article is the fact that Apple acknowledges the error and just tells us to deal with it.  It hearkens back to the days of AntennaGate, “you’re holding it wrong, but here’s a $20 caseband that will fix your issue.).  

I get it...it’s a really slim and glass device that I could break.  But if there’s a manufacturing error that could make that more likely, Apple needs to step up.  
    I did not read anywhere that Apple’s response was to deal with it. If you have a problem with an iPad that is in warranty, call Applecare or come into the store. If it’s out of warranty, expect to get some resistance to replace it at no cost. Why? Because it’s up to you to bring any defects to Apple’s attention during the warranty period. If you can’t bring it to a store or don’t have time to go, then at least call Applecare to let them document it. 

I seriously doubt that Apple’s response is for you to “suck it”. If you have a bent device out of the box or still in warranty, let Apple know now!!

As far as the comments go regarding the iPhone 6 bent enclosure, Apple did replace any bent iPhone 6 phones while they were in warranty. 

I do agree that they are spending too much time making devices thinner when the general public isn’t clamoring for thinner devices. 
  • Reply 68 of 113
    Gaby said:
    I’d be curious to hear Jony Ive’s take on this considering his obsessive eye for detail and all the talk of precision engineering and how tight apples tolerances are. To try and dismiss this defect in any way - because that’s what it is, irrespective of what Apple P.R are saying, is absolutely absurd. Not to mention the potential safety issues caused by any further bending due to the structural weaknesses. Moreover what happens when people take the device in for repairs and Apple refuse to undertake it based on the above. And for those like myself that have an unusually keen eye, things like this would drive me insane. Now that may sound silly but it’s reality lol. I’m all for slim devices but they should be creating stronger alloys or using titanium or something of the sort. Even making it thicker by several microns could make all the difference in the integrity of the chassis. I would strongly advise anyone that has an issue not to take no for an answer if you do find yourself with an unhelpful employee. Do not be rude, but make sure to be assertive. 
    Jony Ive would say “the IPad is unapologetically curved”
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 69 of 113
    Btw, the Verge article does not cite who at Apple made the statement. Usually you will get media relations and a name, so I’m calling BS on the statement that Apple would consider the bend to be within spec. There is no spec that the general public can view to see what is and what is not in spec. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 70 of 113
    Btw, the Verge article does not cite who at Apple made the statement. Usually you will get media relations and a name, so I’m calling BS on the statement that Apple would consider the bend to be within spec. There is no spec that the general public can view to see what is and what is not in spec. 
    Right. Without a named source, I consider The Verge full of it.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 71 of 113
    I just bought an iPad Pro 11”.  Of course, I looked at my iPad after reading this article and it is as straight as my eyes can tell.  If these articles had not brought it to my attention, it would never have occurred to me to check.  Now that I have checked, I asked my wife to look at the photo in this article. She said that the photograph showed that the iPad Pro is straight.  I told her to look again and she did.  She still could not see the slight bend.  I am wondering if anybody else cannot see the bend in the photo.  

My question to whoever took the picture:  How many iPad Pro’s did he/she have to look at to find this ipad with the slight bend?  How common is this?  Is this one in a thousand or one in a million?  Anybody who is buying an iPad Pro 11” can easily look to see if it is straight or not.  Apple is probably concerned whether people will abuse this small defect to get free replacements.   If Apple adopts the policy of replacing all bent iPad Pros, people may bend the iPad Pro if they want to get a new one.  

So, I then asked myself the question, what if there had been a bend in my iPad Pro 11”.  Would I go to the trouble of replacing it?  This question is not unlike the Zen question.  What is the sound of one hand clapping in an empty forest? The answer is none.  The slight wind produced by the hand perhaps can be heard by somebody with very good hearing.  But, for most people, if you can’t hear it and it makes no difference, perhaps the answer is that it doesn’t matter.

The correct answer is of course that it is in the eyes of the beholder.   If the bend is relatively uncommon, they should just replace the iPads of people who complain.  If the defect is common, Apple should change the manufacturing so that it happens less frequently.  If necessary, Apple can even take a image of each iPad Pro to confirm that it is straight.  Don’t argue with people who may be offended that they have paid for a defective product. Replace it.  

radarthekat
  • Reply 72 of 113
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

"AppleInsider's advice is this: open those iPads you've got under the tree, and check them right now, to make sure that it isn't bent prior to any use by the recipient. Take advantage of that generous holiday return period that Apple is currently offering, and get one that's not bent and don't stop until you get one."

Really?  Have you even given a present to someone?  The difference between receiving a sealed and pristine Apple box and one that someone has already opened it significant.  My advice is check the thing after it's opened by the recipient, and then come back here and post "hey, I was one of the lucky ones!"
    My reaction was a little different. Mine was "Are people really giving each other thousand dollar iPads as Christmas gifts?" The idea that people are able to do that makes me feel financially inadequate.
    It can be the perfect Christmas gift.  If you’re the breadwinner in the family you might already be supplying technology products to your spouse and children.  Some of those might be needed for school, some might be just expected standards of household tech use, like a big-screen TV or surround sound system.  So rather than supplying those products outside the timeframe of Christmas or birthdays, the smart provider will use those holidays as the time to provide those expensive items.  Otherwise you’ll be buying them regardless and then having to come up
    with some other, additional, gift(s) for the special occasions.  
  • Reply 73 of 113

So The Verge just made it up? Why isn’t Apple clarifying then?
  • Reply 74 of 113
    rwx9901 said:

Unlike other commenters here, I’m not going to argue against your viewpoint because, in essence, I agree with you. You are correct in that far too much attention is paid to perfection. I know this problem all to well, unfortunately. I also know that expectations generally find equilibrium amongst people. Therefore, most people *expect* outcomes based on this consensus of what is acceptable. I think it would be far less stressful on us and far more beautiful if electronics self assembled into structures reminiscent of organic growth.. with all of its imperfections.
  • Reply 75 of 113

So The Verge just made it up? Why isn’t Apple clarifying then?
    Well IMHO when Apple has an issue with a product, they don’t say anything until they start an investigation. This can take a week or even longer while they look at the number of reports to Applecare and if there is any early field failure analysis on the issue. Then they look at the supply chain and see where the issue is occurring and if it’s in the manufacturing of the device or perhaps the packaging. They need to look at how far back the issue goes to decide whether or not to issue a quality program. 

So silence isn’t necessary a response. 

If they are refusing to allow any replacements either at a store or with Applecare, ask to speak with customer relations and explain to them the issue and have them clarify Apple’s position on the bend on the device. More often than not, they will replace it. Although I don’t like that it would have to come to that to do the right thing. 

• Reply 76 of 113
    rwx9901 said:

So we all now know that if commenter Rwx9901 buys a brand new car and it arrives with a big old dent in its front fender he’d be perfectly happy with it because it still drives.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 77 of 113
    That is one hell of an arrogant and ignorant response and a massive PR mistake. 

Whats up with u guys Apple... ? Sigh 
  • Reply 78 of 113
    “Did you hear about the new Apple fix for the bent iPad Pros?”

”No. What is it?”

”The new Apple augmented reality glasses. Put ‘em on and the iPad Pro looks straight.”
  • Reply 79 of 113
    "Pre-bent from the factory is fine in a $40 craplet."

No. It is not.

This is why an issue like this on an iPad is even more offensive.
    mazda 3s
  • Reply 80 of 113
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    I’m more interested to know if they learned from the bend gate.