No, Apple, a slightly bent iPad Pro straight out of the box isn't acceptable

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Shouldn’t be happening but easily solved. If it’s bent take it back. 
  • Reply 82 of 113
    Yesterday checked my 11inch? it's bend, just like in the picture above. I used it for some 40 days. Called apple, they arranged a replacement even without asking for photos of the defect. So happy, I hope the new one will be straight. Good luck everyone who suffered the same. And just like folks advised here - be polite. And thanks to appleinsider for pointing out this problem.
    macguianantksundaram
  • Reply 83 of 113
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rwx9901 said:
    Good grief the things that people belly ache about.

Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems.  So, it's got a slight bent in it.  Does it hamper performance?  No, it does not.
    There’s a man in Guyana selling Kool-Aid. Are you seriously defending Apple here? If they hadn’t made it thinner we’d have increased strength and battery life. These are the most expensive tablets money can buy, up to €2,129 ($2,432) and you expect people to not be unhappy they might get a bent one out of the box? How many shares do you own? If none, you’ve no reason to be so so touchy here. I wonder which would retain a higher resale value, a bent one or an unbent one? Hmm... I wonder.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 84 of 113
    vnratc said:
    Yesterday checked my 11inch? it's bend, just like in the picture above. I used it for some 40 days. Called apple, they arranged a replacement even without asking for photos of the defect. So happy, I hope the new one will be straight. Good luck everyone who suffered the same. And just like folks advised here - be polite. And thanks to appleinsider for pointing out this problem.
    Be polite in the sense that it’s not the person on the phone who caused this problem.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    How quickly we forget about the iPad Pro 10.5 white spot debacle 

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/bright-spot-on-ipad-pro-10-5-screen.2115037/
  • Reply 86 of 113

DuhSesame said:
    I’m more interested to know if they learned from the bend gate.
    The answer would be no.
  • Reply 87 of 113
    ireland said:
    [...] If they hadn’t made it thinner we’d have increased strength and battery life.
    Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but aren't the current iPad Pros slightly thicker than previous generations? If so, we may be seeing the beginning of the end of Apple's obsession with anorexic devices.

Of course that just means we wind up with heavier devices, and weight matters when using a hand-held device the size of an iPad.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    ireland said:
    [...] If they hadn’t made it thinner we’d have increased strength and battery life.
    Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but aren't the current iPad Pros slightly thicker than previous generations? If so, we may be seeing the beginning of the end of Apple's obsession with anorexic devices.

Of course that just means we wind up with heavier devices, and weight matters when using a hand-held device the size of an iPad.

2018 iPad Pro: 0.23” thick

2017 iPad Pro: 0.24” thick 

• Reply 89 of 113
    Emmerick Emmerick Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I bought a new iPhone 6 plus a couple years ago and just had to buy new phone because phone was bent and the volume button got stuck and could not get the volume to work because of it being bent. So yes the defect can cause problems.  I took it into my cell phone provider to see what they could do to help me and they told me that it was a common defect in the phones and basically I could pay to have it fixed or buy a new phone.  Not happy with spending so much money on a phone that did not last long so I decided to switch to an android.  
  • Reply 90 of 113
    btw: Apple execs love to refer to their former leader, Steve Jobs. Now, if I am not totally wrong he was very much known as a perfectionist and would turn in his grave with a product deficiency like this. But it becomes obvious that Apple more and more suffe4s from its success, meaning satisfying shareholder value becomes increasingly important instead of focusing on the core values of the company ... and its customers who are largely accountable for it being such faithful ones. I wonder when the first of the large ones makes a turnaround and gives a sh... about shareholder value. Growth is not endless, if nature tells us one thing day in-day out it is the importance of balance. Seems difficult to digest for our financial leaders around the globe  :'(
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 91 of 113
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    mylovino said:
    btw: Apple execs love to refer to their former leader, Steve Jobs. Now, if I am not totally wrong he was very much known as a perfectionist and would turn in his grave with a product deficiency like this. But it becomes obvious that Apple more and more suffe4s from its success, meaning satisfying shareholder value becomes increasingly important instead of focusing on the core values of the company ... and its customers who are largely accountable for it being such faithful ones. I wonder when the first of the large ones makes a turnaround and gives a sh... about shareholder value. Growth is not endless, if nature tells us one thing day in-day out it is the importance of balance. Seems difficult to digest for our financial leaders around the globe  :'(
    Jobs had his share of poor executions.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 92 of 113

"AppleInsider's advice is this: open those iPads you've got under the tree, and check them right now, to make sure that it isn't bent prior to any use by the recipient. Take advantage of that generous holiday return period that Apple is currently offering, and get one that's not bent and don't stop until you get one."

Really?  Have you even given a present to someone?  The difference between receiving a sealed and pristine Apple box and one that someone has already opened it significant.  My advice is check the thing after it's opened by the recipient, and then come back here and post "hey, I was one of the lucky ones!"
    My reaction was a little different. Mine was "Are people really giving each other thousand dollar iPads as Christmas gifts?" The idea that people are able to do that makes me feel financially inadequate.
    Well, I can't, nor am I able to wrap up a car with a bow like Detroit has been telling me to try to do for as long as I can remember.

But, I bet there are some. More iPads than cars, that's for sure.
    I gave my college-age daughter the first iPad pro for Christmas the first year they were available and my son an iMac last year.  It's not a typical Christmas gift, but if the timing of replacing a device aligns with the holidays, it's a win-win.
  • Reply 93 of 113
    I can speak to my personal experience with this issue.  I am on my 4th 12.9" iPad Pro.  The first 3 were cellular and had a curve starting where the antenna band was.  Swapped for a model without cellular hoping to get a straight one, this latest iPad is better, but still bent.  I can't justify spending so much money for something that is obviously flawed, even though slight, it still bugs the crap out of me.  Luckily I purchased the original unit on 11/15 so I have the extended return period.  At this point I am waiting until after Christmas at which time I will be returning this iPad and not asking for a replacement.  I love everything about the new iPP except the curve/warp frame.  Every iPP at my local Apple store shows some version of this issue, I showed this to a genius when I did my last exchange and they agreed with me.  In fact the manager took pictures and was sending them to Apple for engineer review.  I am assuming most people that say they don't have a bent iPad Pro actually do, even though slight.  I can post pictures of my bent iPP if anybody would like to see what I am talking about.......
    I'd like to see the pics.  You bring up a good point that we can go to any Apple store and see a number of these side by side to test the hypothesis that this is very rare.  If Apple stores are displaying bent ones, that would convince me that it's rampant.  (I'm skeptical that that's the case.)
  • Reply 94 of 113
    How many are bent?
  • Reply 95 of 113
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I can speak to my personal experience with this issue.  I am on my 4th 12.9" iPad Pro.  The first 3 were cellular and had a curve starting where the antenna band was.  Swapped for a model without cellular hoping to get a straight one, this latest iPad is better, but still bent.  I can't justify spending so much money for something that is obviously flawed, even though slight, it still bugs the crap out of me.  Luckily I purchased the original unit on 11/15 so I have the extended return period.  At this point I am waiting until after Christmas at which time I will be returning this iPad and not asking for a replacement.  I love everything about the new iPP except the curve/warp frame.  Every iPP at my local Apple store shows some version of this issue, I showed this to a genius when I did my last exchange and they agreed with me.  In fact the manager took pictures and was sending them to Apple for engineer review.  I am assuming most people that say they don't have a bent iPad Pro actually do, even though slight.  I can post pictures of my bent iPP if anybody would like to see what I am talking about.......
    I'd like to see the pics.  You bring up a good point that we can go to any Apple store and see a number of these side by side to test the hypothesis that this is very rare.  If Apple stores are displaying bent ones, that would convince me that it's rampant.  (I'm skeptical that that's the case.)
    FTA: "It's early on Thursday, but we've already looked at our continued collation of service data, spoken to a few Apple dealers, and to other staff inside Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company. Based on service data and return rates, this does not appear to be a widespread or endemic problem. However, the fact that somebody at Apple has spoken out about it means it is not a trivial amount of customers who could be easily and quietly handled by being given a replacement with a perfunctory "hey, look at that" by Genius Bar staff before before anybody catches wind of the issue."
  • Reply 96 of 113
    rwx9901 said:
    Good grief the things that people belly ache about.

Do the people that own this realize what they've got in their possession?  Talk about first world problems.  So, it's got a slight bent in it.  Does it hamper performance?  No, it does not.

I wish my life were so in tune with goodness that stupid crap like this would bother me.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!!

Step back from your perfect world and take a deep breath.  So many other things to consider and concern ourselves with on this planet and you all focusing on crap like this.  Unbelievable.
    What is unbelievable is how easily you brush aside a product flaw.  What people might tolerate in a volkswagen they would not accept in a Daimler.  I was just about to buy an ipad pro 256 but i have now put that idea on hold.  If I have to examine an Apple product out of the box, I’ll pass.  Further you have the unmitigated gall to label this a first world problem, what was the last thing you did for the less fortunate or for charity that was more than put a quarter in the salvation army kettle outside of walmart?  I thought so. Have a seat on a gherkin.
    edited December 2018 apres587
  • Reply 97 of 113
    FTA: "It's early on Thursday, but we've already looked at our continued collation of service data, spoken to a few Apple dealers, and to other staff inside Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company. Based on service data and return rates, this does not appear to be a widespread or endemic problem. However, the fact that somebody at Apple has spoken out about it means it is not a trivial amount of customers who could be easily and quietly handled by being given a replacement with a perfunctory "hey, look at that" by Genius Bar staff before before anybody catches wind of the issue."
    Or so the Verge says somebody at Apple has spoken. 
    Apple officially speaks thru their media relations department and they give their name, which is usually Steve Dowling.

The fact that the article does not identify who at Apple made that statement and the fact that a poster here has already had their iPad replaced makes me doubt the accuracy of Verge’s article. 
  • Reply 98 of 113
    hammeroftruth said:
    [...] the fact that a poster here has already had their iPad replaced makes me doubt the accuracy of Verge’s article. 
    That particular point does not necessarily contradict the report. Apple has, on more than one occasion, provided me service not covered by its official policy.
  • Reply 99 of 113
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    These damn things are never thin enough, right, Joni Ive?

Apple is absolutely in the wrong here.
  • Reply 100 of 113
    I’ve seen several pictures of iPads that are obviously bent beyond 400 microns - the stated tolerance level disclosed by Apple. Has the Verge, and others, been honest about this issue? I think not. Tempest in a teapot - and a dishonest one at that.