Apple rumored to revive iPad mini in early 2019 with new fifth-gen model

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2018
Apple may be preparing a new version of the iPad mini, a report from a Chinese newspaper claims, with a fifth-generation version of the pint-sized tablet allegedly on the way, coupled with other changes to the iPad lineup in 2019.

iPad mini 4
iPad mini 4

The iPad mini has not received an update since the announcement of the fourth-generation version in September 2015, with the lack of changes to the product in over three years suggesting the device line is probably on its way out, and faces removal from the iPad roster completely. While there has been little movement for the smaller iPad model in recent years, that may change in a few months.

China Business Times sources claim Apple will be launching two low-priced models of the iPad in 2019. It is alleged Apple is doing so because it saw "outstanding results" for the 2017 9.7-inch iPad followed by a sales decline, allegedly due to it not releasing a "new low-priced iPad" in 2018, though the launch of the 2018 iPad in March suggests this means the fiscal 2018 rather than calendar year.

A new low-priced model of the 7.9-inch iPad mini is slated to arrive in the first half of 2019, with the supply chain starting production for the model in late December. It is unknown if there will be any major changes to the device's design, as observed for the iPad Pro.

A 2019 iPad is also planned, but according to the report, it will be undergoing a refresh that seems similar in many respects to the iPad Pro alterations. While still a low-priced option, the iPad will apparently have a larger screen that's more than 10 inches in size, while also having a narrower frame.

The new iPad is said to be mass-produced sometime in 2019, for release in the second half of the year.

Along with introducing rumors, the publication also claims Apple is switching some of its sources for iPad display panels from Japanese producers to BOE, based in South Korea. It is claimed this is part of a cost-cutting measure for Apple.

While the China Business Times has a good track record with supply chain information, like the iPad display panel topic, it has a poor track record in predicting Apple's future product plans.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    It's always seemed to me that Apple's lack of love for the iPad Mini reflects the same sentiment on the part of the buying public. How often does anyone see the iPad Mini out in the wild? The lower price and smaller size may make it nice for kids, but other than that...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Not buying this rumor. And I doubt the flat iPad sales are because of the mini. Honestly I think the only reason the mini existed was because for a brief moment smaller cheaper tablets were the in thing and Wall Street and the tech world were freaking out because Apple didn’t have one. Now with the $329 iPad does the mini need to exist?
    radarthekatphilboogie
  • Reply 3 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    neilm said:
    It's always seemed to me that Apple's lack of love for the iPad Mini reflects the same sentiment on the part of the buying public. How often does anyone see the iPad Mini out in the wild? The lower price and smaller size may make it nice for kids, but other than that...
    You don't see many in the wild as people have held off buying in the hope of a true upgrade (Mac Mini Syndrome). If they officially EOL the Mini 4 I would by one, though.

In the meantime I still have my Mini 2 to use which still does all I ask if it and has major battery life.

All it really needs to bring it up to date on design is narrower bezels. I can live perfectly with TouchID. Keep pricing and innards competitive and they'd have a winner.

What they shouldn't do is hike the price like they did with the new Mac Mini.
    GeorgeBMacnetmageMisterKitleftoverbaconmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 48
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    neilm said:
    Who knows how many minis Apple sells. But I see a lot of them. People use them as Kindle book readers on trains and planes, at the beach, in the park, and I see them around the office used as hand held notepads, which are much less cumbersome than a full-sized iPad. If they had Pencil support, I would have bought one a long time ago. Much easier to hold with one hand while taking notes. And I’m not sure I wouldn’t prefer one to my full-sized iPad when traveling. Outside of individual consumer uses, I see minis used at point of sale terminals everywhere, and as wait staff ordering devices at some restaurants.  So there’s clearly a sizable market for them, the question is if it’s big enough for Apple.
    netmagedewmeradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 48
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I would think the Mini would be strong in the enterprise world. As the regular iPads keep getting larger screens, I would imagine this size would be better than an iPad Touch for ease of use and much more portable than a 10.5" iPad.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 48
    It's not only because of price that the mini has sold, many people actually prefer diminutive sizes in products, so a smaller tablet is what they prefer and price (lower or same) is irrelevant. I'm not sure why that is so misunderstood and why price is always what is touted as the reason to buy a smaller tablet (or for Apple to manufacture one, to sell to people who are price conscious). Some people simply prefer smaller, price being completely irrelevant to that preference.
    netmageradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 48
    YP101YP101 Posts: 159member
    Unless Apple adapt face id on mini, price should be same as before. I would guess A10X with 3GB ram, 64GB start.
    If Apple put 2GB ram then new mini is pointless to refresh.

If new mini refreshed then I would buy one. 9.7 or pro model is too heavy for me.
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Not buying this rumor. And I doubt the flat iPad sales are because of the mini. Honestly I think the only reason the mini existed was because for a brief moment smaller cheaper tablets were the in thing and Wall Street and the tech world were freaking out because Apple didn’t have one. Now with the $329 iPad does the mini need to exist?
    For the same reason that Apple sells the Xs despite the fact that it also sells an XsMax.

What is so hard to understand about that?

It amazes me that people defend Apple for sacrificing functionality and usabiity in their quest for thinner and lighter -- but then condemn it for producing smaller.
    netmagewilliamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 48
    The iPad mini has just the right size/form factor for me. If they update the innards, I would surely consider buying a new one.

edited December 2018 MisterKitGeorgeBMacwilliamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I find my iPad Mini 2 to be a much more capable tablet than my grandson's 9.7" iPad.  It just works.  The 9.7" version is awkward to hold and prone to being dropped.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    For the same reason that Apple sells the Xs despite the fact that it also sells an XsMax.

What is so hard to understand about that?

It amazes me that people defend Apple for sacrificing functionality and usabiity in their quest for thinner and lighter -- but then condemn it for producing smaller.
    So why does the SE no longer exist then?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 48
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    neilm said:
    Since the introduction of the larger display phones I have seen less and less minis.  I agree it's a great size for kids hands.. Once I switched from a Mini2 to iPad Air 2 I could never go that small with an iPad again.  I am using the Pro 10.5 currently and love it!
    JFC_PAradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Should be sweet! It's the perfect travel device. Able to use it on the plane, hotel, etc., w/o using the battery up on you iPhone! :)

Traveling is basically the only time I use my iPad Mini 2.

Mobile devices should be small and super light like my 2017 MacBook and my SE.

Best.
    dewmeGeorgeBMacradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 48
    neilm said:
    Well I am looking for a replacement for my version 2 mini. Planning to use it as the companion to my drones. Have the current pro as my daily driver. Looking at my gear bag it’s the MacBook Pro that is long in the tooth.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 48
    DougUTDougUT Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    I have been dying for a new Mini to be released, but if Apple skimps on the display just to shave $50 off the sale price I am out.  There is a huge difference between a laminated and non-laminated display.
    edited December 2018 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Updated processor and increased RAM and I’m in. Tried to get a mini 4 for $249 Black Friday but they were sold out. The mini size is ideal for on the go.
    DougUTGeorgeBMacwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 48
    DougUTDougUT Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    MisterKit said:
    Updated processor and increased RAM and I’m in. Tried to get a mini 4 for $249 Black Friday but they were sold out. The mini size is ideal for on the go.
    That's all I want too!!
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 48
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    As a fan of choices I’d welcome a refresh to this size: though my replacement for my iPad Air will be a similar sized Pro in 2019. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    It's not only because of price that the mini has sold, many people actually prefer diminutive sizes in products, so a smaller tablet is what they prefer and price (lower or same) is irrelevant. I'm not sure why that is so misunderstood and why price is always what is touted as the reason to buy a smaller tablet (or for Apple to manufacture one, to sell to people who are price conscious). Some people simply prefer smaller, price being completely irrelevant to that preference.
    Or larger? As the mini is larger than any iPhone....
    radarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 48
    I appreciate mine for:

- pocketability in overcoats
    - light weight
    - smaller for tight seating reading (eg public transport)
    - drone use
    - automobile gps use
    - sport app use (more portable on the go)
    - lower cost

If an upgrade arrives might we expect (hope for) pencil support,
    as with the base iPad ?
    edited December 2018 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra