Apple says some 2018 iPad Pro units ship with bent chassis, not considered a defect

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Skor said:
    sflocal said:
    Got an iPad that was bent out of the box?  Return it and move on with your life.  Why people raise such a stink about it is beyond me. Apple manufactures a gazillion of these units and it is impossible that every one of them is perfect right out of the box.  There are going to be defects.

Just the typical whiners, trolls, and crybabies that have to chime in with their Apple-hating nonsense.

I'm not giving Apple a free pass, nor any other company.  However, Apple does back up their products and if one pays a premium for their products, it better be perfect.
    I thought the point of the article was that Apple doesn’t consider it a defect.
    There are tolerances on every engineering product. Of course you have the right to not accept those or to claim tighter tolerances, but Apple’s attitude here is not evil, they base their stance on some accepted industrial practices. Certainly Apple will take some action if those returns reach unusual levels.

From Apple’s response I gather this is a controllable issue. They may slow down the cooling process for example. The very first units have always come with some unexpected glitches as seen through all Apple history. In future or current manufacturing batches the issue may be already resolved.
    I believe no amount of QC or manufacturing changes will stop the bend issue on the LTE model without reinforcing the antenna line region. Just my opinion.

I’m looking at my Pro 10.5 and believe the weak link in the anttena line passing over the edge of the ends of the iPad. Mine is what so ever slightly bent on both sides, exactly on the attena line.

Other than one light backpack trip, my one month Pro has not been under heavy stress or load. I own a 9.7 Pro, mistreated it, put it under heavy stress inside a stuffed backpack on monthly business trips over the past year and it has absolutely no bend or warp. Looked at it this morning before finishing this post. 

Im going to go out in a limb and say even a new straight out or the box with no bend iPad if given some stress in a backpack or other, in time will bend over the antenna line region.

Hopefully I’m wrong but looking at the bend it’s just obviously the anttena lines have something to do with it since it’s bent on the exact same place on both sides. The bends are very suttel and not obviously at first. 
    You can pretty much count on being wrong. The 10.5 LTE is 18 months old now. You think we wouldn’t know about it if it was issue by now.

I have multiple iPads in the house and no bends. I have a 10.5 LTE model that’s been put in a backpack every work day and has gone on multiple business trips with me for over a year now. No bends. I’m not denying that yours or others is not bent, but, like anything metal + glass + batteries that is long and thin, you will have thousands of bent units when there are tens of millions of units in use.

It’s not useful to state anything unless you have actual failures per million numbers. Right now, all we’re doing is participating in a world wide social media echo chamber, where it is very very easy to find those bent units.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    Dick move Apple! That bend is an obvious manufacturing defect, if there ever was one!

Apple has a history of offering replacements, without having its costumers jumping through hoops, for even more nuanced problems. That only serves to exaggerate the tone deafness of its current stance.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    These will be collectors items.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    tht said:
    Skor said:
    sflocal said:
    Got an iPad that was bent out of the box?  Return it and move on with your life.  Why people raise such a stink about it is beyond me. Apple manufactures a gazillion of these units and it is impossible that every one of them is perfect right out of the box.  There are going to be defects.

Just the typical whiners, trolls, and crybabies that have to chime in with their Apple-hating nonsense.

I'm not giving Apple a free pass, nor any other company.  However, Apple does back up their products and if one pays a premium for their products, it better be perfect.
    I thought the point of the article was that Apple doesn’t consider it a defect.
    There are tolerances on every engineering product. Of course you have the right to not accept those or to claim tighter tolerances, but Apple’s attitude here is not evil, they base their stance on some accepted industrial practices. Certainly Apple will take some action if those returns reach unusual levels.

From Apple’s response I gather this is a controllable issue. They may slow down the cooling process for example. The very first units have always come with some unexpected glitches as seen through all Apple history. In future or current manufacturing batches the issue may be already resolved.
    I believe no amount of QC or manufacturing changes will stop the bend issue on the LTE model without reinforcing the antenna line region. Just my opinion.

I’m looking at my Pro 11 inch pro and believe the weak link in the anttena line passing over the edge of the ends of the iPad. Mine is what so ever slightly bent on both sides, exactly on the attena line.

Other than one light backpack trip, my one month 11 inch Pro has not been under heavy stress or load. I own a 10.5 inch Pro, mistreated it, put it under heavy stress inside a stuffed backpack on monthly business trips over the past year and it has absolutely no bend or warp. Looked at it this morning before finishing this post. 

Im going to go out in a limb and say even a new straight out or the box with no bend iPad if given some stress in a backpack or other, in time will bend over the antenna line region.

Hopefully I’m wrong but looking at the bend it’s just obviously the anttena lines have something to do with it since it’s bent on the exact same place on both sides. The bends are very suttel and not obviously at first. 
    You can pretty much count on being wrong. The 10.5 LTE is 18 months old now. You think we wouldn’t know about it if it was issue by now.

I have multiple iPads in the house and no bends. I have a 10.5 LTE model that’s been put in a backpack every work day and has gone on multiple business trips with me for over a year now. No bends. I’m not denying that yours or others is not bent, but, like anything metal + glass + batteries that is long and thin, you will have thousands of bent units when there are tens of millions of units in use.

It’s not useful to state anything unless you have actual failures per million numbers. Right now, all we’re doing is participating in a world wide social media echo chamber, where it is very very easy to find those bent units.
    Sorey, my oversite on naming. The whole above discussion above is based on the new 11 inch iPad Pro. My other iPad Pro  is the 10.5 
  • Reply 65 of 87
    Look at the picture.  It's hardly even visible even when looking at it end-on.  I bet if you close your eyes you can't even tell that it's not completely straight/flat.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    entropys said:
    Unbelievable. Apple is not the company it was a decade ago.
    Do you mean before or after the Mac Cube cracks manufacturing defect?
  • Reply 67 of 87
    Nobody will notice this issue unless they read about it and look down the edge like aiming a rifle...seriously it is that subtle.  Again not saying Apple shouldn't address but most will not every notice.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    no words
  • Reply 69 of 87
    Nobody will notice this issue unless they read about it and look down the edge like aiming a rifle...seriously it is that subtle.  Again not saying Apple shouldn't address but most will not every notice.
    I picked my 12.9” up yesterday, saw this and then checked it. Sure enough, there’s a slight bend. But as you say, if I didn’t intentionally look for that specifically I don’t think I would ever have noticed on my own. 
  • Reply 70 of 87
    “Apple says some 2018 iPad Pro units ship with bent chassis, not considered a defect”.
    GOOD. Because I don’t consider it a defect if the check I pay for it with bounces.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 71 of 87
    That is one hell of an arrogant and ignorant response and a massive PR mistake. 

Whats up with u guys Apple... ? Sigh 
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 72 of 87
    That is one hell of an arrogant and ignorant response and a massive PR mistake. 

Whats up with u guys Apple... ? Sigh 
    Because The Verge said it, don’t play the fool and assume it’s Apple’s official stance. Much of the news we’re seeing these days is completely made up rubbish.
  • Reply 74 of 87
    ne1ne1 Posts: 69member
    This is becoming a bad Apple habit. Bent iPad Pro? "a byproduct of the manufacturing process." Power delivery issues of new MacBook Pro i9? Nothing to see here. Love the Apple products but they seem to be getting less concerned about quality and more about profits.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    ne1 said:
    This is becoming a bad Apple habit. Bent iPad Pro? "a byproduct of the manufacturing process." Power delivery issues of new MacBook Pro i9? Nothing to see here. Love the Apple products but they seem to be getting less concerned about quality and more about profits.
    For the 2018 MBP fluctuating power issues, they never said there was nothing to see. They didn’t say anything until a few days later that there was a software bug (likely a missing temp-power-voltage table in firmware) and an update would be provided.

As has been said many times already, there have been issues with Apple products each and every year for decades running now. (This is true of all complex products). People either aren’t old enough to know, there weren’t connected enough to know, or don’t remember anymore.

Titanium PowerBook G4 hinge and paint issues, anyone remember those? iPhone 3G case cracking around the audio port? Remember that? The iPhone 5 rear glass panels had a tendency to pop off. The Watch heart sensor panel has a tendency to pop off. The highly regarded 4th gen MBP (2012 to 2015 models) had multiple issues: when closed, the display and keys would touch, and finger oils would gradually by deposited on the display until you can see an outline of the keyboard on the display; or, the LG vs Samsung display ghosting problems; or, it had a GPU heating problem too I think. If you think the iPad or iPhone 6 had problems, you don’t remember the MacBook Pro 17 models, and that thing with 1” thick. Heck, the MacBook scissors keyboard weren’t free of troubles either, each and every model prior to the butterfly ones, would have stuck keys, popped off keys, unresponsive keys, etc.

In today’s world, you never know how serious an issue is for a mass produced product. Lots of sturm and drang because everyone all over the world is connected now and we like to emote, but little in the way of actual data. On this issue alone, there have been brand new posters (1st posts) on AI in the two threads. Is that a lurker? Is that somebody led here by either social media news feeds or search engines? Are their iPads really bent? What does bend really mean to different people...
  • Reply 76 of 87
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Another reason I generally won’t purchase a first gen Apple product if it’s either a new product catagory or a complete redesign of an existing product catagory. Hopefully next year’s ‘second-gen’ redesigned iPad Pro won’t have this issue. 
  • Reply 77 of 87
    It's been 8 years, why aren't these made out of LiquidMetal?
  • Reply 78 of 87
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    It's been 8 years, why aren't these made out of LiquidMetal?
    This is actually a very good question. No idea.
  • Reply 79 of 87
    I know this is getting a lot of play...but the truth is I think it’s not as widespread as people believe it is. My 11” ipad pro is not bent. I work in the art world here in NYC, and most people i know have gotten the new pros, and not one of them has this issue. And none of the artists, photographers & videographers i follow on youtube who use the new ipad pro have a bending problem with it either.

Not saying it ain’t real, but i think the numbers are way way lower than is being portrayed on the internet.

And i truly believe that if someone out there gets an ipad with a slight, imperceptible bend out of the box, that they’d be able to exchnge it no problem. I’ve never once had a problem returning an Apple product for the silliest of reasons. Go into an Apple Store with a smile on your face, be pleasant but firm, and i gaurantee you’ll be walking out the door with a new ipad pro. Just open the new one in the store to be sure.  ;)

edited December 2018
  • Reply 80 of 87
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I know this is getting a lot of play...but the truth is I think it’s not as widespread as people believe it is. My 11” ipad pro is not bent. I work in the art world here in NYC, and most people i know have gotten the new pros, and not one of them has this issue. And none of the artists, photographers & videographers i follow on youtube who use the new ipad pro have a bending problem with it either.

Not saying it ain’t real, but i think the numbers are way way lower than is being portrayed on the internet.

And i truly believe that if someone out there gets an ipad with a slight, imperceptible bend out of the box, that they’d be able to exchnge it no problem. I’ve never once had a problem returning an Apple product for the silliest of reasons. Go into an Apple Store with a smile on your face, be pleasant but firm, and i gaurantee you’ll be walking out the door with a new ipad pro. Just open the new one in the store to be sure.  ;)

You’ve personally polled all of those people, or they have otherwise commented on this issue?

Again, the fact Apple has officially aknowledged the issue says there’s a significant enough issue to address, and that’s typically no small sample.

The fact it’s seemingly “slight and imperceptible”, may mean it goes unnoticed initially to many who have the issue. I have certainly bought things and only discovered a flaw or defect days or weeks later. It’s still early on, and outside of these forums, I’ve not really seen this reported, not to mention the distraction of the holidays and everything else going on in the world — so there’s an awareness factor as well.

As for dealing with the Apple Store, it’s not always as easy as you claim. I’ve had some great experiences and some not so great experiences, and one problem had to get resolved when “Steve” wasn’t working.
    edited December 2018 ronn