Apple rumored to revive iPad mini in early 2019 with new fifth-gen model

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    I would love an iPad mini but do not want a compromised device with an older processor and lower quality display. Given the cell capabilities of the Apple Watch, I would love to see an iPad mini with LTE that could function as a cell phone - I would ditch my iPhone X S as unnecessary.

I like my iPad Pro but would like a high quality mini sized iPad to carry around. I am not a fan of the excessively priced larger iPhones.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Not buying this rumor. And I doubt the flat iPad sales are because of the mini. Honestly I think the only reason the mini existed was because for a brief moment smaller cheaper tablets were the in thing and Wall Street and the tech world were freaking out because Apple didn’t have one. Now with the $329 iPad does the mini need to exist?
    For the same reason that Apple sells the Xs despite the fact that it also sells an XsMax.

What is so hard to understand about that?

It amazes me that people defend Apple for sacrificing functionality and usabiity in their quest for thinner and lighter -- but then condemn it for producing smaller.
    So why does the SE no longer exist then?
    Your question assumes that, because Apple did it, that it must be the right thing to do.

Many thought abandoning the SE was a mistake because it was the best form factor for their needs.  Likewise, many feel that the iPad mini is the best form factor for THEIR needs.   Nothing Apple has done or will do will change that.

The analogy is Apple's thin, light, minimalist approach to MacBooks -- many would prefer a more robust solution.   Some of them will stick with Apple despite the inconvenience and some will abandon it for a conventional PC.  

If Apple abandons the form factors favored by many for a strategic, well thought out reason then that is likely good.  If they do it out of hubris ("We know what you need") that is, well, less good.   The best CEO's and the best corporations never lose their humility.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 48
    iPad 6 (2018) was on sale on Amazon for $229 and it was quickly sold out. So the demand is there for a new iPads even if it does not have the latest tech. One of my kid prefers the iPad mini for its size and I would love to update it next year. If Apple would have the mini's on sale for $199 then I would get 2.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I agree with those who see the iPad Mini as a great travel companion carried alongside a notebook, especially if your notebook is a big clunky corporate machine. It's nice to be able to kick back on a sofa with a Mini instead of a notebook. The iPhone Xs Max is pretty good as a big screen phone but it still pales in comparison to the screen on the iPad Mini. But like all things niche, you have to make a thoughtful choice between filling the niche perfectly or stretching your acceptance cone of perfection to include a not quite so perfect fit. A not quite so perfect fit would be the 9.7" iPad, your big screen phone, or a lightweight notebook like the MacBook or MacBook Air. In the current madman driven economic climate it's getting harder to justify the perfect fit if you can sand off the corners on your square peg to get it into the round hole. The niche products will be the first ones to be jettisoned. Bringing the iPad Mini up to snuff as a front line product is going to be a very hard choice for Apple and Tim Cook to make, so I wouldn't be very surprised to see it show up in a softer and more colorful wrapper and moved downscale to go up against the modestly priced Amazon kiddy tablets.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Would buy a "full screen" iPad mini in an instant,
    urashidGeorgeBMacwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 48
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I'll buy one. My finger has been poised over the "buy" button on the recent deals for the latest 9.7" iPad just waiting on this. I just prefer the smaller form factor for what I use it for. 
    MisterKitGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 48
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    iPad 6 (2018) was on sale on Amazon for $229 and it was quickly sold out. So the demand is there for a new iPads even if it does not have the latest tech. One of my kid prefers the iPad mini for its size and I would love to update it next year. If Apple would have the mini's on sale for $199 then I would get 2.
    Considering the 3 year old LTE version is still being sold for $529.00 usd I can't see the refresh being that cheap.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Please let it work with the Pencil. I have shelves full of A5 laboratory notebooks, and would love to switch to an ipad. But it has to have a good stylus and has to fit my jacket pocket.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 48
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    eightzero said:
    I'll buy one. My finger has been poised over the "buy" button on the recent deals for the latest 9.7" iPad just waiting on this. I just prefer the smaller form factor for what I use it for. 
    Think of the children!

No really, the mini is idea for children's hands.

I have a mini for travel but the low RAM makes keeping open a few Safari tabs a very slow affair. I just bought the latest 9.7" iPad on sale. Very nice, but I still prefer the smaller form factor.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Damn you Apple!
    If you come out with this new Mini I'll have a tough decision to make:

I hate carrying big phones around everywhere -- especially when I'm working, working out or running.  So:
    -- Should I get an Apple Watch with LTE and an XsMax (or Xr) and only carry the phone when needed?
    -- Or, should I get an Xs and an iPad Mini?

I guess the good news is:  This is one of those rare cases where even I can't screw it up.  Either way is a win!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 48
    YP101 said:
    Unless Apple adapt face id on mini, price should be same as before. I would guess A10X with 3GB ram, 64GB start.
    If Apple put 2GB ram then new mini is pointless to refresh.

If new mini refreshed then I would buy one. 9.7 or pro model is too heavy for me.
    At least you have excellent eyesight. But you might want to go to the gym :p
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 32 of 48
    rogifan_new said:
    ...Now with the $329 iPad does the mini need to exist?
    For people like me.I have the iPad mini 2 (retina). I had two iPad 9.7, (the first 2 model) and for my use, they are too big. For big screen I use my MacBook 12. The iPad mini fit in my coat pocket, I love it. I just don't understand why the mini has to trail so much in CPU power. 
    ike17055GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Lots of comments reflecting here on the stated “lower quality display.”  Maybe I am just reading this differently, but I don’t see this as a literal down grading from current excellent laminated LCD display. The unanswered question is “less quality ...than what?”  I read this not be mean lesser qualty than current Mini, but rather, lesser quality than the new standards used with iPad Pro models, with their OLED premium screen.  Maybe these sources are essentially stating that we simply should not expect any Pro features, especially screen. If anyone has the exact wording that might provide better context, i would appreciate seeing it, but my guess is that the new Mini 5 will pretty much be the current Mini 4, but with newer chip.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    something not often mentioned: the ipad mini, especially in landscape mode, is the perfect size for thumb typing, as opposed to too big for the full size ipad, and too small for iphone generally. On Mini, I can zip out a huge amount of texts, emails, etc that would otherwise take far too long to be practical on the less optimally sizes devices.   
    radarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 48
    davgreg said:
    I would love an iPad mini but do not want a compromised device with an older processor and lower quality display. Given the cell capabilities of the Apple Watch, I would love to see an iPad mini with LTE that could function as a cell phone - I would ditch my iPhone X S as unnecessary.

I did exactly that. Just add a calling app, such as Skype, or if you are cheap like me, there numerous free apps such as Talkatone, and MagicApp - imditched a dedicated phone probabky four years ago or so. 
  • Reply 36 of 48
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    ike17055 said:
    Lots of comments reflecting here on the stated “lower quality display.”  Maybe I am just reading this differently, but I don’t see this as a literal down grading from current excellent laminated LCD display. The unanswered question is “less quality ...than what?”  I read this not be mean lesser qualty than current Mini, but rather, lesser quality than the new standards used with iPad Pro models, with their OLED premium screen.  Maybe these sources are essentially stating that we simply should not expect any Pro features, especially screen. If anyone has the exact wording that might provide better context, i would appreciate seeing it, but my guess is that the new Mini 5 will pretty much be the current Mini 4, but with newer chip.  

No iPad has an OLED display.  Only the iPhone X, XS, and XS Max have OLED displays.  
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 48
    WoodenhandwoundcameraWoodenhandwoundcamera Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have had every iPad mini and carry it everywhere I go. Dying for the updated 5th version. Also have the 10.5 iPad pro which see's LESS time in hand. (I've had size iPad) I'm a 56 year old Director Cameraman who shoots all over the world. I LOVE THE IPAD MINI and see them everywhere I look......So NO. It's still used in every corner of commerce as well as consumers. SUPER USEFUL
    edited December 2018 williamlondonGeorgeBMacroundaboutnowbluefire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    I find my iPad Mini 2 to be a much more capable tablet than my grandson's 9.7" iPad.  It just works.  The 9.7" version is awkward to hold and prone to being dropped.
    Then you’re holding it wrong. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Not buying this rumor. And I doubt the flat iPad sales are because of the mini. Honestly I think the only reason the mini existed was because for a brief moment smaller cheaper tablets were the in thing and Wall Street and the tech world were freaking out because Apple didn’t have one. Now with the $329 iPad does the mini need to exist?
    For the same reason that Apple sells the Xs despite the fact that it also sells an XsMax.

What is so hard to understand about that?

It amazes me that people defend Apple for sacrificing functionality and usabiity in their quest for thinner and lighter -- but then condemn it for producing smaller.
    The analogy is Apple's thin, light, minimalist approach to MacBooks -- many would prefer a more robust solution.   Some of them will stick with Apple despite the inconvenience and some will abandon it for a conventional PC.  
    And others buy the MBs for their smaller, lighter size. It’s a portable, the easier it is to lug the better. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Because it negatively affects the only number Tim cares about: Average Selling Price (ASP).
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam