YouTuber admits aspects of viral HomePod glitter bomb video were faked

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    The feigned outrage here is ludicrous. If you’ve never come across his previous videos, shame. The guy has some great ideas and the resources to pull it off, cut him some slack.

His apology was swift and fair.
    radarthekatursuskekso
  • Reply 22 of 39
    auxio said:
    The fact that people take YouTube videos as truth is pretty scary.  It's entertainment folks.  Get your truth from reliable news sources.  And even then, double check and question everything.
    Yup, lol.
    There are literally billions of YouTube videos available & EVERY single one of them is staged, fake, and full of lies.
    Anyone that believes a single word in a single video has feces for brains. 
    Its so scary/frightening/petrifying/terrifying that anyone would believe anything anyone else says... ever.

We need to all be “smart” (or is it depressingly jaded?), like @auxio & be mistrustful of every single thing we come into contact with!

Lol, if I felt so terribly negative about YouTube content... I’d ban the site!
    I happen to watch a lot of these science/physics/diy type of channels & I’d say- I can’t imagine having to constantly be “on guard” that I’m getting fleeced, with this type of content. The entire scientific community tends to value credulity. Further, were things as dire and widespread despicable as you claim; there’d be no outcry or story.
    It’s precisely because you’re WRONG and this is indeed unusual behavior in this niche community, that the story exists at all.
    Its mere existence handily refutes your claim.
    ronn
  • Reply 23 of 39
    csheltoncshelton Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    mac_dog said:
    No accountability whatsoever. The morals/integrity of this country are swirling in the toilet. 

A simple apology accompanied with an, “I’ll take necessary steps to make sure it doesn’t happen again...”

He apologizes for putting something up that was misleading. He fabricated the entire thing. It took planning and, therefore, intent. For what purpose? To get views on social media? He lied about all of it. Didn’t apologize for lying (bcoz that would mean accepting responsibility for his childish/embarrassing behavior. And he further shirks admitting & taking responsibility by “taking necessary steps...”. It’s subtle, but again, no direct acceptance of responsibility. What he could have said is “I willfully posted this video to my site (for whatever reason), and I won’t do it again.

Some of you may think it’s a technicality, but something internally happens when one confronts their own behavior. He conveniently worded it so the blame is an extension (2nd person?) of him, therefore, no lesson learned.
    I'm afraid that only half of your accusation is true. While the mechanism was 100% genuine (there's no evidence that it was not), the YouTuber simply used willing test subjects to demonstrate the capabilities of the device, as was found by the investigations and the YouTuber's own words. Had he admitted this in the video, then this pointless controversy would not be going on the first place and he would still be trustworthy. The problem is not his lack of honesty, but his lack of communicative skills.
    edited December 2018 radarthekat
  • Reply 24 of 39
    csheltoncshelton Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    To those of you who misunderstood the article, the device itself was not fabricated, but the people who stole the trap device were not actual thieves and were willing test subjects. In light of this, the package still has some potential in warding thieves off, but what this article reveals is that the author was not honest about who really took the packages. For those of you who are attentive to detail, it can be inferred from the word aspects being included in the headline that only a portion of the video was faked.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 25 of 39
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    Unfortunately like TV news most of YouTube is either faked or choreographed. More unfortunate is the number fools who believe everything they see or read without an ounce of critical thought. 

Once the the possibility of making money and vanity overtook modesty YouTube, Instragram, Facebook and others went straight up fake.  

• Reply 26 of 39
    Those NASA boys are always inhaling fumes from a different atmosphere. "putting something up on my channel that was misleading," adding he will be taking "all necessary steps to make sure it won't happen again." = I'm sorry you caught me, I'll cover my ass better next time so you won't.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 27 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Well this from Youtube may be totally unrelated but it's just too darn funny not to share. Hey it's a Friday night, funny is good. 

http://youtu.be/ArjUUDhntzE

edited December 2018
  • Reply 28 of 39
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Damn it I was laughing so hard it didn’t strike me as odd that in 2 reveals 3 camera were working but on two had vision till lid removed

well played sir. Well played 
  • Reply 29 of 39
    I wouldn’t claim I’m “outraged” as some of you are claiming we are, but it is disappointing. He misled his audience by not disclosing that several of the “thieves” were in fact not. Considering the video’s popularity is due to wanting to see glitter justice done, and that he earns money from the videos, this is indeed lame. 

It is a blemish on his video. He says he didn’t know tho. 
    edited December 2018 radarthekat
  • Reply 30 of 39
    chilinuxchilinux Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Given how little it takes for people to honestly believe the moon landing were fake, I am really disappointed that Mark Rober would do anything to feed into the myth that getting devices to Mars could have also been fake. In some cases, people will use any photos that contain both Stanley Kubrick stand next to anyone from NASA as "proof" that NASA has always been dishonest. If Rober's video can be used to show contractors for NASA are inherently "still" dishonest people, there is someone already out there trying to build that case. Also, if you think this video has nothing to do with how people view the explorations of Mars, please listen carefully to what Mark Rober says towards the beginning of the video. He is already laying out the bread crumbs and people will unfortunately connect the dots to produce a very distorted picture of reality as a result.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Dumbass.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    mac_dog said:
    No accountability whatsoever. The morals/integrity of this country are swirling in the toilet. 

A simple apology accompanied with an, “I’ll take necessary steps to make sure it doesn’t happen again...”

He apologizes for putting something up that was misleading. He fabricated the entire thing. It took planning and, therefore, intent. For what purpose? To get views on social media? He lied about all of it. Didn’t apologize for lying (bcoz that would mean accepting responsibility for his childish/embarrassing behavior. And he further shirks admitting & taking responsibility by “taking necessary steps...”. It’s subtle, but again, no direct acceptance of responsibility. What he could have said is “I willfully posted this video to my site (for whatever reason), and I won’t do it again.

Some of you may think it’s a technicality, but something internally happens when one confronts their own behavior. He conveniently worded it so the blame is an extension (2nd person?) of him, therefore, no lesson learned. 
    Do you also have a comment posted here where you assume he’s telling the truth about a couple of his friends having faked their part in this?  Because you haven’t presented a shred of evidence in this comment to support your assertion that he faked the entire thing.  And therefore someone might be justified in saying you are lying about your entire comment, deliberately trying to smear this guy.  Is that what you’re doing?  How’s it feel when you’re accused like that?  

Hey, but thanks for playing. 
    ronnbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 33 of 39
    eriamjh said:
    That lying mother f*cker!   

Indknt care are about the concept.  The problem is the satisfaction I felt seeing a-hole thrives getting glitter-bombed is now anger at being misled.  

F*ck him.  Channel blocked.  Forever.  
    Maybe read the story next time before commenting. 
    ronn
  • Reply 34 of 39
    cshelton said:
    To those of you who misunderstood the article, the device itself was not fabricated, but the people who stole the trap device were not actual thieves and were willing test subjects. In light of this, the package still has some potential in warding thieves off, but what this article reveals is that the author was not honest about who really took the packages. For those of you who are attentive to detail, it can be inferred from the word aspects being included in the headline that only a portion of the video was faked.
    Ahem...  Um, plus this fairly important bit...

“Rober has since confirmed that two of the five reactions used in the video were suspicious, and were subsequently removed, but insists the reactions for times when the box was stolen from his doorstep were genuine.”
    ronn
  • Reply 35 of 39

buzdots said:
    Those NASA boys are always inhaling fumes from a different atmosphere. "putting something up on my channel that was misleading," adding he will be taking "all necessary steps to make sure it won't happen again." = I'm sorry you caught me, I'll cover my ass better next time so you won't.
    Articles are written to be read.  At least do that before commenting, eh? 
    ronnbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 36 of 39
    sandor said:
    mac_dog said:

No, the morals & integrity are the same, we just are inundated with a 24 hour barrage of every "event" these days.

Back in the day they just had to apologize to a smaller group of people, not the world at large.

No way to reason with a mad dog, too bad the “entertainer” isn’t president then he could just say they were real and not appologize 😂 
  • Reply 37 of 39
    LennyGorLennyGor Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I see videos all the time that fake like when Casey Neistat is reviewing a camera then claims in the video multiple times that he is an "amateur" in the vlog.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    robbesrobbes Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The whole thing from beginning to end had the air of ersatz. It was a little too slick and evenly paced to pass off as “real life”. And this guy  strikes me as the very antithesis of a nerdy engineer which he claims to be. My guess is if he worked for NASA he was a spokesman in public relations and not the engineer who designed the fucking Mars rover. And just what is all the engineering that went into this contraption [ in the video ]? I mean, glitter and fart spray? Half the video was spent building up to the moment where we would see this great retribution to the porch pirate take place. Anti-climatic, totally. Kudos to the folks who carefully sifted the details and exposed the artifice. This video maker has now fallen into the credibility well, which is, by design, very very difficult to climb back out of. 
  • Reply 39 of 39
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    auxio said:
    The fact that people take YouTube videos as truth is pretty scary.  It's entertainment folks.  Get your truth from reliable news sources.  And even then, double check and question everything.
    Yup, lol.
    There are literally billions of YouTube videos available & EVERY single one of them is staged, fake, and full of lies.
    Anyone that believes a single word in a single video has feces for brains. 
    Its so scary/frightening/petrifying/terrifying that anyone would believe anything anyone else says... ever.

We need to all be “smart” (or is it depressingly jaded?), like @auxio & be mistrustful of every single thing we come into contact with!
    @tycho_macuser When it comes to things which people are claiming to be news/truth, then yes, it would be a huge benefit to the world if people were more skeptical.  That's not being jaded, that's having a standard for things which I accept as truth.  If everyone did this, fake news wouldn't have an audience.  I'm actually a big proponent of having logic and critical thinking skills be a part of the standard educational curriculum.

Consider this: what if someone was saying nasty things about you which were untrue, and everyone around you just accepted what they said without requiring any proof/justification?  Or, to take it further, if the police were able to arrest you for a crime without requiring proof (which is the case in many countries with corrupt governments and/or an uneducated population)?  There are very good reasons to be a critical thinker and hold people accountable to what they claim as "truth".

That all said, as mentioned earlier in the thread, things which are simply entertainment or instructional videos (not news) are clearly different.  One just needs to be able to differentiate between entertainment and news (which, admittedly, the lines are pretty blurred these days).  This particular video definitely seemed like entertainment to me.
    edited January 2019