Bad Lip Reading skewers Apple's keynotes in latest video

Posted:
in macOS edited December 2018
Bad Lip Reading, known for lampooning everything from political speeches to sports games, has taken on Apple in its latest YouTube video, skewering company executives over the course of several product keynotes.

Bad Lip Reading of Apple's keynotesBad Lip Reading of Apple's keynotes

The video, running just over four minutes, follows CEO Tim Cook and SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi as they introduce a range of outlandish products such as the "Lickamaforbus" guitar, the "Handsome Anthony" android, "Apple Wings" chicken wings and more.

Bad Lip Reading humorously takes Apple to task for its overuse of superlatives, as seen in the introduction of the new "Apple Hole" that is described as "the worlds fanciest tetra-fusion hole." The video also includes such made up verbiage as "Garfenafuten Tuten-Jute Exiobalexis" or Garf Exi for short.

With spot-on dubbing typical of Bad Lip Reading, the entire video poking fun at Apple's much-hyped press events is certainly worth a watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    I know this is meant as a humorous break in the endless negative news and dumping on Apple, but it just gives me a headache.
    boxcatcherwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 45
    👍 👍
  • Reply 3 of 45
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Bad Lip Reading videos are far more surreal humor than lampooning or satire.
    randominternetpersonbackstab
  • Reply 4 of 45
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Weredonky... lmao so hard... 
    backstabdysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 45
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I love Apple and appreciate comedy but that wasn't funny.
    radarthekatboxcatcherwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Sorry...just not funny. :(

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 45
    Worked for me. Thought it was pretty amusing. And I am a hugely embarrassing fan boy. 
    georgie01StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 45
    I normally love Bad Lip Reading, but that one just plain sucked.
    radarthekatbdkennedy1002watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 45
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    bluefire1 said:
    I love Apple and appreciate comedy but that wasn't funny.
    Wow... how did you not find it funny? I think it's the funniest thing to ever hit the internet!!!
    backstab
  • Reply 10 of 45
    Handsome Anthony, he can take you to the museum or the snow cone palace - rofl. Not amazing but very funny.
    edited December 2018 randominternetpersondysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 45
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Very funny. Uncanny imitations too.
    zoetmbbackstabanton zuykov
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Wow, that was funny. Not over the top but funny.
    georgie01StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Uh, oh, dang it. I gotta pee. hilarious, sophomoric humor
    backstabanton zuykovdysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 45
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I guess it takes a lot to tickle my funny bone these days.  When I was young I’d be rolling with laughter at stuff that today I just look at and think, really, someone spent time out of their life producing that?   Not sure if I’d characterize it as childish, adolescent, or what?  Maybe adolescent is closest.  Like the American Pie movies, or those Hangover movies.  I occasionally am recommended to watch those, and for the longest time I resisted, but a while back I switched on one of the Hangover movies.  It proved to me what I already knew; my friends have retained but not refined their senses of humor since high school.  And let’s be clear on one thing... I absolutely will judge your intellect by your sense of humor.  I’ll take a pass on meeting in person anyone associated with this Bad Lip Reading trope [sic].
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 45
    radarthekat said:
    I absolutely will judge your intellect by your sense of humor.
    I love this line.

I can see little kids giggling like crazy at the random words and silliness of this clip ... a mature adult might smile once or twice.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    I guess it takes a lot to tickle my funny bone these days.  When I was young I’d be rolling with laughter at stuff that today I just look at and think, really, someone spent time out of their life producing that?   Not sure if I’d characterize it as childish, adolescent, or what?  Maybe adolescent is closest.  Like the American Pie movies, or those Hangover movies.  I occasionally am recommended to watch those, and for the longest time I resisted, but a while back I switched on one of the Hangover movies.  It proved to me what I already knew; my friends have retained but not refined their senses of humor since high school.  And let’s be clear on one thing... I absolutely will judge your intellect by your sense of humor.  I’ll take a pass on meeting in person anyone associated with this Bad Lip Reading trope [sic].
    Well gosh Mr Pickles we were just having some fun... :)
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 17 of 45
    The Wish Prince gag was entertaining...
  • Reply 18 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    The Wish Prince gag was entertaining...
    My wife, who is not that much of an NFL fan, laughed out loud at the Bad Lip Reading NFL clip. 
  • Reply 19 of 45
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I have to disagree and I wouldn't voluntarily watch an American Pie movie either.   What's hysterical about the Bad Lip Reading is three things:  how well the lip sync is done, the uncanny voice impersonations and most importantly (to me), the attitude.   It completely retained Apple's self importance and over-the-top style at these events.   While I wouldn't want to watch more than one of these and I wouldn't want it to be any longer than it was, I think it worked as comedy quite well.  

But...different strokes for different folks.   One person's comedy is another person's stupidity or boredom.  

randominternetpersonbackstab
  • Reply 20 of 45
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    zoetmb said:
    I have to disagree and I wouldn't voluntarily watch an American Pie movie either.   What's hysterical about the Bad Lip Reading is three things:  how well the lip sync is done, the uncanny voice impersonations and most importantly (to me), the attitude.   It completely retained Apple's self importance and over-the-top style at these events.   While I wouldn't want to watch more than one of these and I wouldn't want it to be any longer than it was, I think it worked as comedy quite well.  

But...different strokes for different folks.   One person's comedy is another person's stupidity or boredom.  

I don’t know that good lip syncing necessarily connotes humor.  Nobody was laughing about Milli Vanilli (stripped of their Grammy).  Bad lip syncing, maybe; Eddie Murphy’s intentional out-of-synch take on martial arts movies dialog comes to mind.

As for voice impersonations, I do well over 100, a talent I discovered during the Nixon years.  The key to a humorous impersonation is to use a tiny little compartment in your mind to create a caricature of the personality of the person your intending to impersonate.  And that means you have to be able to replicate thoughts that person would actually think and say.  The way Jay Leno used to impersonate Arnold or Dana Carvy’s impersonations of George Bush.  It can be over the top or subtle, but it has to be true to the person and the target should be a person who’s personality invites caricature.  For example, I used to work with a Russian programmer who’s voice was quite unique, easy for me to imitate.  But it was his persona, a highly excitable but pragmatic personality, and my ability to capture his persona, sufficient to stand outside his daughter’s cubicle (she worked with us summers while at college) and have a full conversation with her without her catching on to the fact it wasn’t her father on the opposite side of the cubicle wall.  Funny.  Mockery, in this case of Tim Cook & Co, is not by itself sufficient to be truly humorous, though it can be the basis of a funny impersonation.  

I don’t at all get what you mean by “the attitude.”  Humor is about the unexpected, the twist, incongruity, unless you think Andrew Dice Clay is funny. 
    edited December 2018 bshankwatto_cobrarealistic