No, Apple, a slightly bent iPad Pro straight out of the box isn't acceptable

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    DelrokDelrok Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    It isn’t bent. That is the little connection material where you are perceiving the bend. It’s not straight but the seem is what’s causing it.
  • Reply 102 of 113
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Delrok said:
    It isn’t bent. That is the little connection material where you are perceiving the bend. It’s not straight but the seem is what’s causing it.
    What?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 103 of 113
    Delrok said:
    What?
    You're having trouble parsing that one too, huh? I didn't spend too much time on it because I was still bewildered by this one:

tbsteph said:
    I’ve seen several pictures of iPads that are obviously bent beyond 400 microns - the stated tolerance level disclosed by Apple. Has the Verge, and others, been honest about this issue? I think not. Tempest in a teapot - and a dishonest one at that.
    So the issue is real but those who report it are lying? I don't get it.
  • Reply 104 of 113
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    I agree with the editorial.

My view is that Apple should extend the return period for new iPad Pros which are bent.
    Otherwise the lawsuits will be coming.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 105 of 113
    Wasn’t it cool last year to have curved displays? Maybe Apple is just a bit late to the party? Or maybe it goes 3D when you look at it just right, anybody else remember magic eye pictures? Seriously I hope Apple can sort it out, it may be only cosmetic but I can just see Steve fuming if it happened on his watch. 
  • Reply 106 of 113
    DelrokDelrok Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Delrok said:
    What?
    You're having trouble parsing that one too, huh? I didn't spend too much time on it because I was still bewildered by this one:

tbsteph said:
    I’ve seen several pictures of iPads that are obviously bent beyond 400 microns - the stated tolerance level disclosed by Apple. Has the Verge, and others, been honest about this issue? I think not. Tempest in a teapot - and a dishonest one at that.
    So the issue is real but those who report it are lying? I don't get it.
    Do you folks own one? This is the section where the "bend" is in mine. It's quite possible others have actually bent metal, but mine isn't. The metal is straight but this darker grey material seems to be the issue.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    Here to add my data points:

I bought the 11” in-store on launch and it was immaculate. Next day I also purchased the 12” in-store and that had a display defect with a consistently bright spot (not a lit pixel, more like pressure from behind the LCD). Replacement had a stuck pixel which I didn’t notice until a week ago. Took it to the Apple Store and they qualified me for a deferred replacement (since in warranty but beyond return period). Then I noticed my 11” had developed a slight curve; not a big deal to begin with but it seemed to affect how well the Smart Keyboard attached. So I just bent it back to acceptably flat. Not a big deal to me. If my replacement 12” comes pre bent, I’ll just bend it back. Not a big deal to me, since AppleCare+ and all, and I’ve yet to invoke the accidental damage coverage on any of my Apple devices. But it is ridiculous the stance Apple has taken on this report. Yes I returned a $1200 iPad because of one defective pixel among many millions, so I expect a greater level of quality and support if the former does not deliver. I am satisfied. 
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 108 of 113
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I bought the 11” in-store on launch and it was immaculate. Next day I also purchased the 12” in-store and that had a display defect with a consistently bright spot (not a lit pixel, more like pressure from behind the LCD). Replacement had a stuck pixel which I didn’t notice until a week ago. Took it to the Apple Store and they qualified me for a deferred replacement (since in warranty but beyond return period). Then I noticed my 11” had developed a slight curve; not a big deal to begin with but it seemed to affect how well the Smart Keyboard attached. So I just bent it back to acceptably flat. Not a big deal to me. If my replacement 12” comes pre bent, I’ll just bend it back. Not a big deal to me, since AppleCare+ and all, and I’ve yet to invoke the accidental damage coverage on any of my Apple devices. But it is ridiculous the stance Apple has taken on this report. Yes I returned a $1200 iPad because of one defective pixel among many millions, so I expect a greater level of quality and support if the former does not deliver. I am satisfied. 
    If what you say is accurate, in that these iPads can develop a bend over time, which can be directly attributable to mishandling by the customer, then that’s a big problem and Apple has to draw a firm line in the sand about what constitutes a defect, and additionally, acceptable wear.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    mac_128 said:

If what you say is accurate, in that these iPads can develop a bend over time, which can be directly attributable to mishandling by the customer, then that’s a big problem and Apple has to draw a firm line in the sand about what constitutes a defect, and additionally, acceptable wear.
    Or Apple could just make an iPad that doesn't deform under only the pressure of squeezing it...

If Apple needs to protect itself from repair claims brought by people who have caused damage while trying to straighten out an iPad, maybe the problem isn't so much consumer behaviour but more about the device being too flexible and fragile.

I'm not saying that is or isn''t the case, just that there's more than one way to view the issue.
  • Reply 110 of 113
    mac_128 said:

Agreed with what you said. Currently the situation in determining one’s eligibility for warranty covered due to a bent chassis is nebulous... If they can turn down a warranty repair because your iPad came bent out of the box... Then their official comment should contravene that. I guess we’ll just have to see whether folks get turned away for bringing in bent iPads, as is the case for iPhones.

But like I said, I was able to bend my 11” back to flat. I took that risk because I had AppleCare+, and I wouldn’t suggest those without to try that unless you’re really careful and patient. What’s troubling is that my iPad’s were not reasonably “mishandled”. I switch between the Smart Folio and Smart Keyboard, but I’ve never sat on it or stuffed it in between the couch cushions. I have crammed them into a camera bag along with a 15” MacBook Pro with each getting their own dedicated pocket, so I would think the pressure would be somewhat evenly distributed. 

Also, I owned both sizes of the 2017” iPad Pro. Both developed a slight curve due to the “hump” created by the closed Smart Keyboard. Both were kept in leather sleeves in a backpack. It didn’t affect usability, but it happened. 
  • Reply 111 of 113
    official apple store replaced my bent ipad 11 and sent another one, also bent. I don’t tolerate 1 tb cellular configuration (max price for 11 inch) with bent frame. I requested a refund and they accepted.  
  • Reply 112 of 113
    vnratc said:
    official apple store replaced my bent ipad 11 and sent another one, also bent. I don’t tolerate 1 tb cellular configuration (max price for 11 inch) with bent frame. I requested a refund and they accepted.  
    So what did you end up getting instead