Apple expands iPhone XS and XR trade-in program countries around the world

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    avon b7 said:
    Major discounting (which is what this amounts to) three days before Christmas has just one reading in my book: Lower than expected sales. The offer (in this case Spain) is totally in your face, front page, prices in black and white, marketing. Never seen this before.

I was pushed out of an upgrade due to pricing. With this promotion, I am back in. I will take a decision later today after discussing with my wife.

This is not a discount, it's a trade-in program which Apple has had for awhile
    But they’re offering $100 more than normal for trade-in. Hence why it says limited time. Even still Apple’s never pushed their trade-in program this hard during the holiday quarter.
    elijahg
  • Reply 22 of 71
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    propod said:
    Apples greed has put them in this position, was it worth 50 billion $ in lower valuation? How much has their greed cost in trust? The stockholders can’t be happy with this strategy. 

I'm a stockholder, and I'm happy. 

Apple has been taking phones in on trade for years, both as part of the upgrade program and in straight purchases.  This year for whatever reason the internet clowns decided it was evidence of something, when in fact it's business as usual. 
    williamlondonelijahgAppleExposedwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 71
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    avon b7 said:
    Major discounting (which is what this amounts to) three days before Christmas has just one reading in my book: Lower than expected sales. The offer (in this case Spain) is totally in your face, front page, prices in black and white, marketing. Never seen this before.
    Apple has had in your face iphone ads on their store home page before. 

Remind me how far back you had to go to fish that one out! I cannot even remember the last time something like this happened and three days before Christmas no less.

To top things off, we have just had the absolute worst Apple Store experience ever in a shop that was half empty when it should have been teeming with people.

It now seems that the iTunes backup cannot be moved to the new phone and everything has been erased from the old phone - and they were warned before we even decided to go ahead with the purchase! According to them their is now no solution they can offer locally. So why didn't they check thoroughly before the sale? They were warned multiple times. They moved us to the Home Pod area to make the transaction but the music wouldn't stop. Siri had to be told over and over to stop the music only for it to start again and again.

So my wife now has the most slippery phone ever made - it literally had to be stopped slipping off the table FOUR times while trying to jump through all the hoops Apple put in front of us. All while one guy tried to configure the equipment of eight people at the same time. No wonder when face recognition failed to set up it took him a while to realise the plastic was still on the phone!

We took the MBP in with us to be sure they knew what was planned and they were shocked to see a machine from 2011.

In the end they said they couldn't do anything and recommended visiting a reseller as anything over four years old really couldn't be tackled at an Apple store.

So now I'm traveling home, 725€ out of pocket, with a botched transfer to deal with and more headaches to resolve.

Most important thing right now is a non-slip case.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 71
    avon b7 said:

I was pushed out of an upgrade due to pricing. With this promotion, I am back in. I will take a decision later today after discussing with my wife.

This is not a discount, it's a trade-in program which Apple has had for awhile
    'amounts to'.

elijahg
  • Reply 25 of 71
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    This time, Apple's promotions seem different. This promotion belies Apple's position that it would no longer break out iPhone sales during their quarterly reports because Apple is more than just an iPhone/hardware company. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 71
    lenn said:
    The only way Apple will ever lower the price of it's iPhones is if people stop buying them. But Apple knows there's millions of suckers that need the latest and greatest and will fork down $1k or more for a new iPhone every year.  
    Btw, I'm still using a BB9900. I'm not paying $800 or more for a damn phone!
    You are absolutely right, if you cant afford iphones latest model stick with your BB. Nobody is bending your arms to replace what you have.... that is working just fine for your needs
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 71
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    avon b7 said:

IIRC, the iPhone 4s 'promotion' was simply the carrier pricing when you sign up for a 2 year contract (before everyone finally did away with that charade)

You can argue that it's a trade in program, but the trade in values they are offering are significantly higher than offered by other outlets, so it ends up being a promotion/discount. For example, if I go to Gazelle, my 64 GB iPhone 6s is worth $90. On Apple.com, they offer $200.

Without actual sales data from Apple, there will never be certainty on how sales are doing, but if you look at all the data in aggregate, I really don't see any other, reasonable interpretation. Given the fact that it still requires interpretation, there are plenty of people who will disagree, whether because of their own biases or for other reasons, but it seems that taking an alternate interpretation is requiring more and more excuses and explanations. 
    gatorguyAppleExposed
  • Reply 28 of 71
    lennlenn Posts: 36member

lenn said:
    The only way Apple will ever lower the price of it's iPhones is if people stop buying them. But Apple knows there's millions of suckers that need the latest and greatest and will fork down $1k or more for a new iPhone every year.  
    And yet, people do buy them, time and time. Why? Because they offer value, even at a grand for the top-tier offering. Phone, camera, ipod, video camera, GPS nav, computing device, home automation controller, etc etc.. It adds up, and it’s worth it. 

If you think a smartphone is just a phone, then you’re not an advanced user. You’d be better off with a flip phone to call your wife with or whatever. 
    1k+ for a phone at least to me is not a good value for my hard earned money. And I feel more and more people are starting to feel that way. There will always be die hard iPhone buyers that will buy any phone at any price Apple puts out. That's fine. It's their money. They can do what they want with it. I have better things to spend $1k like my kids education, my mortgage, ect. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 71
    The Apple online store is not the same as apple.com homepage. Here’s the apple.com homepage from December 22 in prior years. Note only once is a price mentioned: iPod nano in 2009. Now I went back further than 2009 and there were a couple years where a price was listed on the homepage but it was not the first thing you see and it was in small print. And from what I could tell it wasn’t showing a trade-in or discounted price.

designrelijahgmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonphilboogie
  • Reply 30 of 71

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:

IIRC, the iPhone 4s 'promotion' was simply the carrier pricing when you sign up for a 2 year contract (before everyone finally did away with that charade)

You can argue that it's a trade in program, but the trade in values they are offering are significantly higher than offered by other outlets, so it ends up being a promotion/discount. For example, if I go to Gazelle, my 64 GB iPhone 6s is worth $90. On Apple.com, they offer $200.

Without actual sales data from Apple, there will never be certainty on how sales are doing, but if you look at all the data in aggregate, I really don't see any other, reasonable interpretation. Given the fact that it still requires interpretation, there are plenty of people who will disagree, whether because of their own biases or for other reasons, but it seems that taking an alternate interpretation is requiring more and more excuses and explanations. 
    Also this is comparing apples and oranges. The front page of apple.com is not the same as the Apple store or the sub site for the trade-in program. No one is suggesting the trade-in program didn’t previously exist. It did, but never before was it so prominently featured on the front page of apple.com. And right now Verizon is running a promo where if you get an iPhone they’ll give you an XR for nothing. Now does that XR get counted as a sale from Apple’s perspective? Did Verizon have to get approval from Apple to do this promotion? I don’t know why it’s difficult to believe that the public might finally be balking at the price of smartphones. And what they have is probably good enough for what they use their phone for (messages/social media). Even the camera now is probably good enough where people don’t feel the need to upgrade just for that.
    designrelijahgavon b7williamlondonphilboogie
  • Reply 31 of 71
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Remind me how far back you had to go to fish that one out! I cannot even remember the last time something like this happened and three days before Christmas no less.

To top things off, we have just had the absolute worst Apple Store experience ever in a shop that was half empty when it should have been teeming with people.

It now seems that the iTunes backup cannot be moved to the new phone and everything has been erased from the old phone - and they were warned before we even decided to go ahead with the purchase! According to them their is now no solution they can offer locally. So why didn't they check thoroughly before the sale? They were warned multiple times. They moved us to the Home Pod area to make the transaction but the music wouldn't stop. Siri had to be told over and over to stop the music only for it to start again and again.

So my wife now has the most slippery phone ever made - it literally had to be stopped slipping off the table FOUR times while trying to jump through all the hoops Apple put in front of us. All while one guy tried to configure the equipment of eight people at the same time. No wonder when face recognition failed to set up it took him a while to realise the plastic was still on the phone!

We took the MBP in with us to be sure they knew what was planned and they were shocked to see a machine from 2011.

In the end they said they couldn't do anything and recommended visiting a reseller as anything over four years old really couldn't be tackled at an Apple store.

So now I'm traveling home, 725€ out of pocket, with a botched transfer to deal with and more headaches to resolve.

Now is probably not the best time to remind you that on multiple occasions, I suggested that you upgrade your wife's iPhone 6 to iOS 12. Had you done so, you would not have to jump through hoops to retrieve your wife's iPhone 6 backup which is what you now have to look forward to.. 

I was gong to write some instructions on a potential process to retrieve your wife's data, but it's complex and would require that you find and borrow an iPhone running iOS 10 that would ultimately end up at iOS 12. Might be a good time to corral one of those iPhones before it is sold or traded.
    williamlondonwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 71
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:

Also this is comparing apples and oranges. The front page of apple.com is not the same as the Apple store or the sub site for the trade-in program. No one is suggesting the trade-in program didn’t previously exist. It did, but never before was it so prominently featured on the front page of apple.com. And right now Verizon is running a promo where if you get an iPhone they’ll give you an XR for nothing. Now does that XR get counted as a sale from Apple’s perspective? Did Verizon have to get approval from Apple to do this promotion? I don’t know why it’s difficult to believe that the public might finally be balking at the price of smartphones. And what they have is probably good enough for what they use their phone for (messages/social media). Even the camera now is probably good enough where people don’t feel the need to upgrade just for that.
    I'm impressed that Apple is beaten up for daring to take advantage of new marketing strategies after blowing off analysts and investors by dropping reporting of unit sales numbers.

Nobody could possibly have imagined the fucking rules that posters could come up with to admonish Apple; but then again, I certainly would have expected you to be in the forefront of any such movement.

williamlondonAppleExposedwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 33 of 71
    tmay said:

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:

I'm impressed that Apple is beaten up for daring to take advantage of new marketing strategies after blowing off analysts and investors by dropping reporting of unit sales numbers.

Nobody could possibly have imagined the fucking rules that posters could come up with to admonish Apple; but then again, I certainly would have expected you to be in the forefront of any such movement.

Couldn't be further from the truth. No one is beating Apple up for reducing pricing (albeit indirectly).

People are simply looking at reality to gauge what might be happening with iPhone sales.

Having a MAJOR promotion (an effective discount of around 135€ in my case) on your front page for the newest hardware (just three months old) and three days before Christmas (your biggest spike in yearly sales), sends out messages. People are simply interpreting them.

Apple got me to upgrade in a last gasp effort. Truly last gasp in my case as the money for upgrading had already been spent elsewhere (as I had closed the door on Apple due to pricing).

On pricing I have criticised Apple many times and refused to buy into the deal. It now might be the case that more and more people are following suit and not purchasing.

MplsPelijahg
  • Reply 34 of 71
    propod said:
    propod said:
    Apples greed has put them in this position, was it worth 50 billion $ in lower valuation? How much has their greed cost in trust? The stockholders can’t be happy with this strategy. 

Oops, another guy ignorant with how Apple manages. Hint: it doesn’t manage to the stock price. It manages to delighting the customer, period. Read up. 

“The Dumbest Idea In The World: Maximizing Shareholder Value”

Hint: customers don’t like greedy companies.
    Then they shouldn't buy their products.  Actions speak louder than words
    williamlondonAppleExposedwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 35 of 71
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:

Couldn't be further from the truth. No one is beating Apple up for reducing pricing (albeit indirectly).

People are simply looking at reality to gauge what might be happening with iPhone sales.

Having a MAJOR promotion (an effective discount of around 135€ in my case) on your front page for the newest hardware (just three months old) and three days before Christmas (your biggest spike in yearly sales), sends out messages. People are simply interpreting them.

Apple got me to upgrade in a last gasp effort. Truly last gasp in my case as the money for upgrading had already been spent elsewhere (as I had closed the door on Apple due to pricing).

On pricing I have criticised Apple many times and refused to buy into the deal. It now might be the case that more and more people are following suit and not purchasing.

Price is not the only possible reason for users not upgrading.  The cheap battery replacement offer is one reason.  iOS 12 making older iPhones much more usable is another.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 71
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Now is probably not the best time to remind you that on multiple occasions, I suggested that you upgrade your wife's iPhone 6 to iOS 12. Had you done so, you would not have to jump through hoops to retrieve your wife's iPhone 6 backup which is what you now have to look forward to.. 

I was gong to write some instructions on a potential process to retrieve your wife's data, but it's complex and would require that you find and borrow an iPhone running iOS 10 that would ultimately end up at iOS 12. Might be a good time to corral one of those iPhones before it is sold or traded.
    iOS 12 wouldn't have solved much if anything. The situation I went through has far deeper roots.

In fact, Apple Store staff actively advised against updating the MBP even if were 'possible' as it would bring even more headaches through incompatibilities with everything else on the system.

What is telling is that the Apple Store staff were so surprised to see a machine from 2011 and that when the Mac App store refused to find a major system update, they basically said, 'that's your lot'. Their solution was to find an Apple reseller tech service because 'they had the tools' to install an older version of MacOS.

I was on a 120KM round trip so decided to pack up and resolve the mess from home. A mess that is entirely Apple's making. From iTunes being bloatware and horribly designed to Apple actively hiding previous major system updates.

My plan is simple:

Clone the current MBP to an external drive.
    Update the system on that drive.
    Restore from the updated system whilst booted from the external drive running High Sierra.

More Hoops!!!
  • Reply 37 of 71
    tmay said:

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:

Um...I’m not beating Apple up for reducing prices. Just pointing out that they’re doing things this year they haven’t done before in what looks like an attempt to juice sales. if iPhone XR at $749 and XS at $999 aren’t scaring people off why is Apple advertising a cheaper price on their homepage right now?
    williamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 38 of 71

avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:

Price is not the only possible reason for users not upgrading.  The cheap battery replacement offer is one reason.  iOS 12 making older iPhones much more usable is another.
    Sure it’s not the only reason but Apple really pushing the give back program (and increasing trade in values by $100) right now says to me they think price is a big factor in people not upgrading.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 71
    propod said:

Hint: customers don’t like greedy companies.
    Customers like good products and Apple seems to be meeting those demands, pretty much better than all other companies, so they either disagree with you or they don't care as much as you think.
    propod said:

Hint: other mobile companies accomplish this as well without being greedy.
    And make no money in the process, great recipe for success.

Perhaps you should stop projecting your own issues onto Apple, its customers and its success, you're really not doing your own credibility here any favours by commenting on business success factors that are refuted so easily by reality. Pricing, product strategy and customer satisfaction aren't the armchair CEO's forte.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobraStrangeDayselijahgpscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 71
    lenn said:
    My tapping on the "Informative" button below your post was quite derogative. "Sorry 'bout that"

watto_cobrapscooter63