Apple iPhone XS Max allegedly explodes in Ohio man's pocket

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    I see women mostly put their iPhones in a back pocket. I always ask why but they just say that’s wear it fits. Front pockets in womens’ clothes are either too shallow or none existent. I always think that they will eventually bend the phone or severally damage it especially if the clothes are tight or they have some butt. 

Men dont have that problem with pants pockets. My guess is the same as yours. He plans to sue, wants the phone for evidence and wants a new phone to carry on while he waits for his payday. 

When things like this this end up in the hands of another person ie a judge, he just might get something. 

Apple. The most sued company on the planet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    He SAT on his iPhone and broke it. Rather sad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    pujones1 said:
    Apple. The most sued company on the planet. 
    Except for a tire company, Oh and banks, can't forget about Wells Fargo and Citibank.  Don't forget car companies too, Toyota, GM and Ford... and a financial advisors, JP Morgan. Wouldn't be complete without GE too, they're right there near the top.

How about patent infringement lawsuits? Apple and Samsung have been the targets of them near equally as much, Amazon is hot on their heels, and HP ain't far behind. Considering how pervasive Apple is they don't appear to get unfairly targeted more than others.  We're a litigious society. 
    edited December 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 36
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Maybe he shouldn’t have been wearing his tight pants.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you've been moderated, twice now, in this thread, take a minute to re-read the commenting guidelines conveniently linked at the bottom of the page. Specifically, rule number three.

Do not construe this remark as an invitation for further public discussion on the matter.
    edited December 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    vmarks said:
    Apple would offer something else as a part of the apology, up to the rep's discretion. In an Apple store, this could be like, "pick something else off the shelves"

I have worked professionally with Apple products for 30 years and have *never* heard of this. Source?
    leavingthebiggfirelockwatto_cobrarandominternetpersondysamoria
  • Reply 27 of 36
    ktappe said:
    vmarks said:
    Apple would offer something else as a part of the apology, up to the rep's discretion. In an Apple store, this could be like, "pick something else off the shelves"

I have worked professionally with Apple products for 30 years and have *never* heard of this. Source?
    I’d be like, sure, I’ll take this fully loaded MacBook Pro!
    watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 28 of 36
    vmarks said:
    In the old days, Apple would offer something else as a part of the apology, up to the rep's discretion. In an Apple store, this could be like, "pick something else off the shelves", while on the phone it would be, "Do you listen to music? Could I send you some speakers as an apology?" - here, he wanted some money for pants and some money for the cell service he was going to be billed for but couldn't use with a damaged phone. If they had tried to give him a product, and then let him return the product, he'd have had the cash he was asking for.

But he probably got a brusque, over-worked genius before getting the Apple Safety Engineer, was likely in a bad mood to begin with, and the whole encounter felt bad to him. I can see why he walked away. The "we'll replace your iphone" was presumed. "we aren't going to do anything else for you" was an insult from his standpoint.

What this highlights to me is that Apple Store reps aren't given enough latitude to extinguish situations where emotions are inflamed.
    The store is limited in what they can do outside of replacing their device. They usually refer you to customer relations who will need to see what you are claiming to make sure it was part of the damage created by the failure of their device.

The Manager might offer you a case or a pair of Beats headphones, just don’t expect them to do so automatically. The days of the store bending over backwards for you are long gone.  

There have been been a lot of people who bend the truth when it comes to stating what happened and try to cash in on something that in most cases was not Apple’s fault. 

If you do have something like this happen to you. The best recourse is to work with Applecare who will assign someone to your case and can work with you to replace any property that was damaged due to Apple’s device failure and possibly offer you something as an appeasement. 

The fact that that he demanded to keep his old device shows that he is very naive. He can go ahead and start a lawsuit against Apple, but the burden of proof is on him that the device is defective and caused the failure.
    Apple’s engineering team is so good they can show what caused the failure and if it was Apple’s fault or not. 
  • Reply 29 of 36

zoetmb said:
    I wonder what the reason is for Josh Hilliard wanting to keep the damaged iPhone?
    As evidence in a future lawsuit. 
    Not if he accepts a replacement. He will have to waive his right to a lawsuit. 

He better get a real good lawyer and forensics team who get paid on contingency. Those are only found in fantasyland. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Don’t put the phone in your back pocket and sit on it, dumbass!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    A lot of conjecture here.  These devices are now very sturdy and unlikely to bend sufficiently to break the battery even if sat on with skinny jeans.  For a start that would be too uncomfortable.

Also, if I was injured by an exploding phone I’d want more than a (presumably refurbished) replacement and non-apology too!  Just look at the cost of health care in the US!  Keeping the phone is absolutely about keeping the evidence if it were to go to court.  It’s a very smart move.

It’s probably just an extremely rare failure and he was unlucky.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    ktappe said:
    vmarks said:

My personal experience on three occasions, offers made without any asking on my part.

Powerbook G4 repair gone wrong -> JBL speakers offered by AppleCare rep on phone
    iPhone 5 repair/replace gone wrong -> Mophie battery case off the shelf in store
    iPhone 6 repair/replace gone wrong -> Philips Hue starter kit offered by AppleCare rep on phone

• Reply 33 of 36
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    vmarks said:
    In the old days, Apple would offer something else as a part of the apology, up to the rep's discretion. In an Apple store, this could be like, "pick something else off the shelves", while on the phone it would be, "Do you listen to music? Could I send you some speakers as an apology?" - here, he wanted some money for pants and some money for the cell service he was going to be billed for but couldn't use with a damaged phone. If they had tried to give him a product, and then let him return the product, he'd have had the cash he was asking for.

But he probably got a brusque, over-worked genius before getting the Apple Safety Engineer, was likely in a bad mood to begin with, and the whole encounter felt bad to him. I can see why he walked away. The "we'll replace your iphone" was presumed. "we aren't going to do anything else for you" was an insult from his standpoint.

What this highlights to me is that Apple Store reps aren't given enough latitude to extinguish situations where emotions are inflamed.
    The store is limited in what they can do outside of replacing their device. They usually refer you to customer relations who will need to see what you are claiming to make sure it was part of the damage created by the failure of their device.

The Manager might offer you a case or a pair of Beats headphones, just don’t expect them to do so automatically. The days of the store bending over backwards for you are long gone.  

There have been been a lot of people who bend the truth when it comes to stating what happened and try to cash in on something that in most cases was not Apple’s fault. 

If you do have something like this happen to you. The best recourse is to work with Applecare who will assign someone to your case and can work with you to replace any property that was damaged due to Apple’s device failure and possibly offer you something as an appeasement. 

The fact that that he demanded to keep his old device shows that he is very naive. He can go ahead and start a lawsuit against Apple, but the burden of proof is on him that the device is defective and caused the failure.
    Apple’s engineering team is so good they can show what caused the failure and if it was Apple’s fault or not. 
    The case or beats headphones can go a long way. I really do think that the stores ought to bend over backwards as a policy. It used to be that way, and those days should have continued, especially in cases where it's clear that the device failed without the user contributing to the failure, not saying that this one is one of those clear-cut cases.

I think we're all misunderstanding what happened in this case - He chose to keep his device when the store did the default and nothing more. They offered to exchange it for a fresh one, but not do anything to make him feel better about the ruined pants or about the cell bill he'd pay for service he couldn't use. Not pacified by this, he kept the phone and didn't take the offer out of frustration, not naivety is my speculation.

This isn't abnormal: if you don't like the experience you get with one rep, try again with a new rep, is a common lesson learned from dealing with customer service. In a good organization, that shouldn't make a difference, but experience teaches us that it does, whether from a cable company retentions dept., a cell phone customer service line, or sometimes, AppleCare. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 34 of 36
    vmarks said:
    ktappe said:
    vmarks said:

My personal experience on three occasions, offers made without any asking on my part.

Powerbook G4 repair gone wrong -> JBL speakers offered by AppleCare rep on phone
    iPhone 5 repair/replace gone wrong -> Mophie battery case off the shelf in store
    iPhone 6 repair/replace gone wrong -> Philips Hue starter kit offered by AppleCare rep on phone

You sound like an unlucky fellow.  I wonder why you have so many repairs/replacements and why they go wrong.  
  • Reply 35 of 36
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    vmarks said:
    ktappe said:
    vmarks said:

You sound like an unlucky fellow.  I wonder why you have so many repairs/replacements and why they go wrong.  
    Having many products leads to more experience with the company making them, probably.