Huawei celebrates Nikkei iPhone Ban by posting 2019 greeting from an iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    avon b7 said:
    slurpy said:
    And yet,it seems every tech Youtuber shills for this company and their products. Like the Huwai Pro 20 or whatever the hell is called is the greatest product ever made. Pretty disgusting, how these sells outs actively encourage people to buy a Chinese, no doubt malware infested phone running a spyware OS.
    The P20 Pro still sits at the top of DX0 Mark list, almost a year after release. Design wise it was the phone to follow this year. It has very fast charging, 3x optical zoom, gigabit modem, AIIS etc. Nothing disgusting about that and, for all the FUD, not a shred of evidence to suggest the phone is somehow spying on anyone.

With the release of the Mate 20 Pro, its price has come down too.

When will you finally get it through your head that nobody here cares about Huawei and all your bullshit claims about how good they are?
    I know, right? I want to believe he’s being paid for astroturfing, otherwise it’s just a disorder at this point.
    ronncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    avon b7 said:
    slurpy said:
    And yet,it seems every tech Youtuber shills for this company and their products. Like the Huwai Pro 20 or whatever the hell is called is the greatest product ever made. Pretty disgusting, how these sells outs actively encourage people to buy a Chinese, no doubt malware infested phone running a spyware OS.
    The P20 Pro still sits at the top of DX0 Mark list, almost a year after release. Design wise it was the phone to follow this year. It has very fast charging, 3x optical zoom, gigabit modem, AIIS etc. Nothing disgusting about that and, for all the FUD, not a shred of evidence to suggest the phone is somehow spying on anyone.

When will you finally get it through your head that nobody here cares about Huawei and all your bullshit claims about how good they are?
    I know, right? I want to believe he’s being paid for astroturfing, otherwise it’s just a disorder at this point.
    I've been put off it for awhile, obviously, but in my defense, I don't go to Android OS device sites and setup my soapbox and proselytize all things Huawei.

It's rude.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Who cares about Huawei? Obviously DED since he wrote this non-story.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 39
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    flydog said:
    Pretty well established that these twitter messages are sent by publicists, not the company or the celebrity endorsing the company's products. 

Pretty bad for someone who calls themself a “publicist” and makes such a simple mistake as this. 
    I think it's more likely these idiot celebs. So clueless as to do this. If anything a Publicist should know better. That's there job.
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    slurpy said:

Wonderful, but how is your wife liking her iPhone XR?

You know, because not everybody is as excited about the new Huawei P20 Pro or Mate 20 Pro "halo" features that you are always touting, especially here. In fact, some people are more interested in the OS, usability, support, or ecosystem than a few marginally better features that will soon be eclipsed, as even you point out.
    I was in London for a few days but there haven't been any notable complaints aside from the hassle of getting everything over from the old phone. I think that's a good sign.

Those 'halo' features you mention are clearly having the desired effect. Apple is going to be behind in many areas for almost the entirety of 2019. Sales look to remain flat  for Apple while Huawei has set new records for itself with every flagship it released in 2018, shifting almost 50,000,000 more units than in 2017.

This article makes a typical jab with the A12/A11 references but ignores the reality of both SoCs actually being behind the Kirin 980 in areas such as modem and wifi. It's not so much RDF as just ignoring reality.

Harking on about performance when performance - per se - is of little to no importance in the purchasing decision as all flagships fly more than well enough for users.

What differentiates handsets is in other areas and we already have a very good idea about what is next up for Huawei and Samsung in a matter of weeks. Excepting some disaster or massive recall, the S10 Series and P30 Series will simply push the bar higher. By the time the 2019 iPhone refresh hits, the Note and Mate series will have taken it still higher.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 39
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    slurpy said:

I've been put off it for awhile, obviously, but in my defense, I don't go to Android OS device sites and setup my soapbox and proselytize all things Huawei.

It's rude.
    No. It isn't rude at all. This is a discussion forum. Discussions swing in various directions. People see these posts and don't actively participate. That doesn't mean they have no interest in reading different opinions.

There is no soapbox.

I have very little time for DED articles in general but on occasion it is worth highlighting some points and providing a different perspective.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 39
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    That just never gets old. :smiley: 
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 112member
    avon b7 said:

Those 'halo' features you mention are clearly having the desired effect. Apple is going to be behind in many areas for almost the entirety of 2019. Sales look to remain flat  for Apple while Huawei has set new records for itself with every flagship it released in 2018, shifting almost 50,000,000 more units than in 2017.

Huawei's 2019 looks far more uncertain than Apple's:

a) Carriers around the world are abandoning plans to use Huawei for 5G networks
    b) Bad press from the criminal charges levied agains CFO Meng Wanzhou, could hamper sales in North America
    c) If Huawei is found in violation of Iran sanction like ZTE was, they could be banned from using US technology.  At the very least they will be looking at Billions in fines and change of board of directors.
    d) Trump is looking at issuing an executive order, banning Huawei and ZTE equipment from US. https://www.techradar.com/news/trump-considering-formal-us-ban-on-huawei-and-zte 
    e)  Huawei stock is down 50% for the year.  Not a good omen for a company that is supposed to "set new records" this year. https://www.google.com/search?q=SHE%3A+002502&oq=SHE%3A+002502&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.238j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    cornchipronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Celebrities and people who can afford iPhone use iPhone.

What a surprise!!!
  • Reply 30 of 39
    dee_dee said:
    avon b7 said:

b) Bad press from the criminal charges levied agains CFO Meng Wanzhou, could hamper sales in North America
    c) If Huawei is found in violation of Iran sanction like ZTE was, they could be banned from using US technology.  At the very least they will be looking at Billions in fines and change of board of directors.
    d) Trump is looking at issuing an executive order, banning Huawei and ZTE equipment from US. https://www.techradar.com/news/trump-considering-formal-us-ban-on-huawei-and-zte 
    e)  Huawei stock is down 50% for the year.  Not a good omen for a company that is supposed to "set new records" this year. https://www.google.com/search?q=SHE%3A+002502&oq=SHE%3A+002502&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.238j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    There is uncertainty. I have no idea how things will go on a business level but I dispute that Huawei faces more uncertainties than Apple.

A. Carriers around the world would love to do business with Huawei. The problem is the US government strong arming carriers and governments to not use their equipment. However, Huawei has already signed 25 5G contracts. Its 5G gear just won't have the same reach as before in some markets. For those governments that have decided not to use Huawei, they will find themselves lagging on technology and paying more.

B. Irrevelant. Huawei has no infrastructure options going forward. On 4G, some US rural areas depend on Huawei gear. For handsets, see above.

C. Politics. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/14/stephen-roach-asks-why-us-singled-out-huawei-for-sanctions-violations.html

D. See B.

E. That is a toy company (among other things). Huawei is not a publicly listed company.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 31 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    dee_dee said:
    avon b7 said:

There is uncertainty. I have no idea how things will go on a business level but I dispute that Huawei faces more uncertainties than Apple.

A. Carriers around the world would love to do business with Huawei. The problem is the US government strong arming carriers and governments to not use their equipment. However, Huawei has already signed 25 5G contracts. Its 5G gear just won't have the same reach as before in some markets. For those governments that have decided not to use Huawei, they will find themselves lagging on technology and paying more.

B. Irrevelant. Huawei has no infrastructure options going forward. On 4G, some US rural areas depend on Huawei gear. For handsets, see above.

C. Politics. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/14/stephen-roach-asks-why-us-singled-out-huawei-for-sanctions-violations.html

D. See B.

E. That is a toy company (among other things). Huawei is not a publicly listed company.
    Response to a)

The U.S. doesn't have to strong-arm other governments. These are already seeing the threat from China, and Huawei isn't independent enough of the Chinese Government and Military to take a risk on 5G infrastructure.

Response to b)

There isn't that much Huawei gear in use at all in the U.S. so legislation requiring its replacement with financial incentives wouldn't be a problem.

Response to c)

New Zealand and Australia banned Huawei 5G equipment even prior to the U.S. banning. It makes the case that it was "political" less, and "National Security" more. 

Response to d)

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/huawei-meets-global-criticism-over-5g-implementation/

The more authoritarian China becomes, the less willing Western Democracies will be to allow Huawei to participate in 5G infrastructure. This is what is happening in Germany.

Oh, and Huawei is employee owned, and only Chinese citizens are allowed to participate in ownership. Hardly the equivalent of a private corporation in the west.

Here's some other fun facts;

China is building its People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) at the rate of the entire existing British Navy every year. I would consider that a threat to South Asia, India, and Western Democracies, and as you state that Huawei is a not a publicly traded company and it is operated by Chinese Communist Party Member's, it pretty much is an arm of the Chinese Military, and certainly, not open for audit by Western Governments or security agencies.

Another Ground Hog Day for me responding to you...

Maybe you could have the vestige of the Chinese free press in Hong Kong respond to me, or is that too late as well?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/01/asia/hong-kong-democracy-benny-tai-intl/index.html
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Who cares about Huawei? Obviously DED since he wrote this non-story.

Huawei is a branch of the Chinese Communist Party, and a symbol of everything China aspires to be as a leader in tech. So yes it is significant even if the company only barely makes money selling massive numbers of middle and low end phones to the third world.  
    tmaydee_deeronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Pretty well established that these twitter messages are sent by publicists, not the company or the celebrity endorsing the company's products. 
    Yes. And that is where the story falls apart - all by itself.
    The story is that iPhone is what’s desired when there’s no cost issue involved.  By the vast majority of those whom that’s the case.  This is not an isolated incident and it’s doubtful publicists send celebrity look-alikes to Hollywood awards shows, as we’ve seen pictures of actual celebrities under contract to one or another of these fake iPhone manufacturers (Samsung, et al) using an iPhone to take selfies.  Can’t blame that on a publicist.  

But there’s no limit of embarrassment and shame you and other apologists seem to be able to bear in suppprt of these copycats.  And so the beat goes on.
    edited January 2019 tmayronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    The story is that iPhone is what’s desired when there’s no cost issue involved.  By the vast majority of those whom that’s the case.  This is not an isolated incident and it’s doubtful publicists send celebrity look-alikes to Hollywood awards shows, as we’ve seen pictures of actual celebrities under contract to one or another of these fake iPhone manufacturers (Samsung, et al) using an iPhone to take selfies.  Can’t blame that on a publicist.  

But there’s no limit of embarrassment and shame you and other apologists seem to be able to bear in suppprt of these copycats.  And so the beat goes on.
    Except that isn't at all true. Huawei had plus $1,000 handsets long before Apple reached those levels. It still has $2,000+ phones. When there is 'no cost issue involved' clearly people still buy and desire those expensive Huawei phones.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

Except that isn't at all true. Huawei had plus $1,000 handsets long before Apple reached those levels. It still has $2,000+ phones. When there is 'no cost issue involved' clearly people still buy and desire those expensive Huawei phones.
    While true, Huawei did not sell those in anything other than very limited edition volumes, certainly not in the millions or 10's of millions that the iPhone X sold. The last "estimate' I saw for 2018 X sales was 60 million.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

While true, Huawei did not sell those in anything other than very limited edition volumes, certainly not in the millions or 10's of millions that the iPhone X sold. The last "estimate' I saw for 2018 X sales was 60 million.
    Special edition phones. Logical. However, the claim was that if cost wasn't an issue, the desire was for iPhone. That is simply untrue.

It is so untrue that even with non special edition phones, there is still plenty of desire for Android flagships at equal prices to flagship iPhones. The demand is actually increasing for vendors such as Huawei.

• Reply 37 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

Special edition phones. Logical. However, the claim was that if cost wasn't an issue, the desire was for iPhone. That is simply untrue.

It is so untrue that even with non special edition phones, there is still plenty of desire for Android flagships at equal prices to flagship iPhones. The demand is actually increasing for vendors such as Huawei.

The correct question would be whether the iPhone X's are more aspirational than Huawei's various lines and models of smartphones, and the answer would almost certainly be, yes.
    edited January 2019 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    This needs re-evaluation in light of recent comments by Tim Cook. Bloggers are not to blame and it looks like the market is shrinking in China for Apple:

"
    among bloggers trying to perpetuate the idea that Apple was facing big problems in China-- a place where iPhones are actually comfortably positioned as the largest and most entrenched platform among affluent users of premium phone models. 

Globally, Apple captured a 47 percent share of the premium segment above $400 in December quarter and was the "driving force" for premium expansion in a market that is otherwise shrinking, according to Counterpoint Research's Market Monitor."

• Reply 39 of 39
    avon b7 said:
    This needs re-evaluation in light of recent comments by Tim Cook. Bloggers are not to blame and it looks like the market is shrinking in China for Apple:

"
    among bloggers trying to perpetuate the idea that Apple was facing big problems in China-- a place where iPhones are actually comfortably positioned as the largest and most entrenched platform among affluent users of premium phone models. 

Globally, Apple captured a 47 percent share of the premium segment above $400 in December quarter and was the "driving force" for premium expansion in a market that is otherwise shrinking, according to Counterpoint Research's Market Monitor."

Hong Kong had a 1.4% increase in YOY sales for the season. It's hard not to see that consumers in China are pulling back. Certainly effects Apple, but it will also likely effect other consumers. Of note, iPhone users don't appear to be abandoning Apple for Android OS, but they aren't upgrading in the numbers that they were before.

I posted this in a newer thread, but I'll repost here;

https://techpinions.com/digging-a-little-deeper-on-apple-revenue-warning/54212

"Greater China

The data shared on Greater China points to a mixed-bag performance for Apple rather than overall doom and gloom. iPhone sales were so weak in Greater China that they negatively impacted overall revenue. Yet the fact that other products and services performed well would indicate that the concern some expressed of a possible Apple boycott on the back of the US sanctions as yet to materialize. Growth in services revenue also suggests that the current user base in China remains engaged in the ecosystem, a behavior that we know drives loyalty.

What is happening is that a weaker economy now impacted by the sanctions is lowering consumer confidence. Many are jumping to the conclusion that Apple’s loss in China is a win for the Android ecosystem players as consumers churn. There is no question that Huawei, OnePlus, Oppo, Vivo, and Xiaomi have grown in China offering an alternative to non-local brands but this has been true for quite some time, and most of their growth has been coming from within the Android ecosystem. While current economic conditions might drive some iPhone owners to look at switching camps looking for cheaper devices, it is more likely they will delay their purchase especially if they do not “need to upgrade.”

We will know more next quarter when buying behavior during Chinese New Year will bring some clarity on whether the slow down Apple is experiencing in iPhone sales will continue and whether other brands will be impacted by the weaker consumer confidence."

Is that the kind of reevaluation that you were looking for?

watto_cobra