Better together: Why Apple Watch owners should buy AirPods

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Got them on launch. Use them for hours, each and every day. My B&O Beoplay H6s are gathering dust.

Will skip v2 with minimal improvements, but can't wait for v3 with waterproofing, health monitoring, etc...

FYI:

Bose is garbage, for people who think crappy reverb = soundstage.

Beats are garbage, for people who think over processed bass = quality.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 22 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    They're incredibly comfortable and stay snug in most ears.
    False on both accounts for me.

Hence, "most ears" and not "all ears".
    But it bears repeating. In the world of Apple press and Apple commentary there is a narrative that AirPods are the be-all and end-all audio device for people who use Aplle devices. It’s worth noting that YMMV. They don’t work for everyone.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 23 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

But it bears repeating. In the world of Apple press and Apple commentary there is a narrative that AirPods are the be-all and end-all audio device for people who use Aplle devices. It’s worth noting that YMMV. They don’t work for everyone.
    To the contrary, I’ve never seen that narrative, and since Day 1 have only seen people and stories that say “depends on your ears”. It goes without saying that ears vary in size. 
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 24 of 34
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

There's never going to be a product which requires a fit to work for everyone. AirPods however seem to work pretty damn well for most people. You cannot walk down the street, go to a shopping mall, airport, or even go to work without a bunch of people wearing them. I'd say Apple did a pretty good job with AirPods. 
    edited January 2019 GeorgeBMacStrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 34
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    AirPods and Apple Watch are some of the most successful products in history. Doing iPhone numbers! Apple has done it again! And Tim Cook has earned his place as a visionary for those who still think only Steve could innovate.

svencito said:
    ...and the AirPods' audio quality is very sad compared to Bose.

Every market Apple enters the anti-Apple crowd swears by a new loser(Microsoft, Google, Vudu etc.).... but why in hell would you choose Bose to be your new leader? Absolute GARBAGE.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    svencito said:

Every market Apple enters the anti-Apple crowd swears by a new loser(Microsoft, Google, Vudu etc.).... but why in hell would you choose Bose to be your new leader? Absolute GARBAGE.
    Actually, neither is garbage.  But both get a lot of hype and, in some people's opinion, they aren't able to live up to the hype they receive (and propagate).
  • Reply 27 of 34
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Not a fan of the white plastic, the pricing, the form factor or the sound quality.

The thought of earbuds for $150 that do not sound as good as the cheap wired ones that ship with a new Phone and can fall out and be lost just does not appeal to me.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I agree with a lot of the posters here - while the AirPods are beautifully engineered, I find it impossible to get them to stay in my ears well enough to drown out background noise. If I'm travelling light, I use a pair of Beats X with my Apple Watch. I miss the some of the features of the AirPods (especially pausing/stopping music when the earphones are removed) but the Beats X stay in my ears better and so deliver vastly better sound quality. Ultimately, the Beats X get the one thing I care most about right where the AirPods get everything else right. 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    xbit said:
    I agree with a lot of the posters here - while the AirPods are beautifully engineered, I find it impossible to get them to stay in my ears well enough to drown out background noise. If I'm travelling light, I use a pair of Beats X with my Apple Watch. I miss the some of the features of the AirPods (especially pausing/stopping music when the earphones are removed) but the Beats X stay in my ears better and so deliver vastly better sound quality. Ultimately, the Beats X get the one thing I care most about right where the AirPods get everything else right. 
    Last summer my wife needed some new earphones. She looked at the AirPods and ended up getting the Beats X. She doesn't have as much trouble with fit on the AirPods as I have but the final factor was the Beats X have a line connecting them. If one falls out in the garden, when she's working, or in bed she can find it. The blue colour helps too. 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 30 of 34
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Helpful article but you’re glossing over the real problem using ANY Bluetooth connection while swimming: namely that the range falls off to ZERO as soon as the Apple Watch dips below the water’s surface!! I’ve tried a number of truly waterproof specialty earbuds and finally gave up and bought a hard-wired MP3 player.
    One downside for the AirPods is that they aren't water resistant like every Apple Watch since Series 2 is. So while you can take your watch on a swim, you're gonna have to leave your AirPods behind.

Good point, but I don't think AI is glossing over anything? They indicate that Airpods are not waterproof, so submersion and the bluetooth connection really aren't a big concern?

According to this lecture, at 2.4GHz (microwave frequency as well) the 1/e (63% loss) occurs in 1.4cm. You probably can do better with 9600 baud UART. :-(

enter image description here

Yikes 1.4cm is over 63% loss at just 1.4cm...  Looks like a lot of changes in frequency need to be made if these devices are going to be able to give a reliable connection when submerged.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    svencito said:

Actually, neither is garbage.  But both get a lot of hype and, in some people's opinion, they aren't able to live up to the hype they receive (and propagate).
    Both? What audio quality hype has Apple propagated and received about the AP? Since launch the reviews have been clear that they are better than the free buds, but cannot be compared to the high-end. Which is fine since they’re priced mid-tier.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    svencito said:

Both? What audio quality hype has Apple propagated and received about the AP? Since launch the reviews have been clear that they are better than the free buds, but cannot be compared to the high-end. Which is fine since they’re priced mid-tier.
    From Apple.com:

"Clearly superior sound.

It’s great-sounding music, movies, and more to your ears. AirPods provide rich, high-quality AAC audio."

In all fairness Apple doesn't delve into "superior" to what specifically, but yes other fan sites compare Bose to the AirPods so IMHO fair for the OP to include them in the same sentence.

https://www.imore.com/bose-soundsport-free-vs-apple-airpods-which-should-you-buy

https://9to5mac.com/2018/11/20/bose-soundsport-free-versus-airpods/

edited January 2019 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    svencito said:

Sorry, but AirPods have been hyped far more than any Bose product.  (And the hype can come from any source -- not just Bose and Apple -- you know that.)
    As I said:   Both are high quality.   Neither can live up to the hype around them.

It's an ongoing problem for any high end product:   Living up to expectations -- particularly when there are fanboys trying to shoot them down -- as in the ongoing claim:   "G A R B A G E ! ! !".
  • Reply 34 of 34
    dtb200dtb200 Posts: 47member
    My only request is for the AW to have a “mute” button displayed when on a call, since during conference calls it’s always a game of mute/unmute. Has to be done via the iPhone currently, which always has the display off so you have to wake it first.
    It does!