Apple lowers holiday quarter guidance on lower than expected iPhone sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 294
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    To be Burberried:
    when a company adopts an upmarket fashion pricing strategy, to only be surprised that such pricing strategies lead to reduced sales.
    designrcornchipmuthuk_vanalingambaconstangkitatit
  • Reply 22 of 294
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    And right on cue, the salivating trolls come marching onto EVERY Apple site in existence by the truckload!
    Forget trolls. What is your opinion on what is happening on iPhone? 

The rest of the business seems to be doing ok. They have a lot of cash reserves to pull on. That won't save them from a roller coaster ride, short term, but iPhone is suffering. Do you agree with TCs line or do you think he is airbrushing bits? Are prices too high? Is competition playing a part? Are iPhones underperforming on features? Etc.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamkitatit
  • Reply 23 of 294
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Apple offers a wide range of phone price points. Pointing solely to the very top, most maxed out option is rather deceitful. 
    Anilu_777elijahgbaconstangzoetmb
  • Reply 24 of 294
    So are all the people who shit on anybody here who speculated iPhone sales might be soft going to apologize now? It was patently obvious once Apple started heavily pushing the trade-in program and displaying cheaper prices on apple.com homepage that there was an issue with sales.
    designrasdasdelijahgwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamanantksundarambaconstangksec
  • Reply 25 of 294
    Lol!  Buffett is a “rookie”?  I don’t think so, just wait and see. He plays the long game and has influence far beyond one quarter’s results. Remember, he is the only financier to prise some shared ownership out of the Mars corporation in nearly 100 years.
    This softening of iPhone sales is the consequence of two things.
    1. Electing a dumb jerk as president. Trump knows nothing about running an economy and his days are numbered. His policies are unwinding into the negative economic effects they always would be.
    2. A significant downturn in Global demand due to pessimism about the economies of major established and developing markets. If you have liquid capital this may be a very good time to pick up AAPL alongside Buffett.
    AppleExposedroundaboutnowbaconstangjony0
  • Reply 26 of 294
    JFC_PA said:
    Apple offers a wide range of phone price points. Pointing solely to the very top, most maxed out option is rather deceitful. 
    True, but no different to last year. Could it be that people are shunning lower price points due to the phones being (and looking) older? Or simply reaching their own price ceilings?
  • Reply 27 of 294
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    treloar said:
    Lol!  Buffett is a “rookie”?  I don’t think so, just wait and see. He plays the long game
    At the age of 88 there's no such thing as playing a long game anymore.
    :) 
    ericG721muthuk_vanalingamGG1
  • Reply 28 of 294
    avon b7 said:
    Well, that was pretty clear. At least in part, pricing really IS an issue and I think a DED article today was implying China was performing well for Apple.
    And yet nothing in Cook’s letter that specifically talks about price. The biggest blunder in the last couple years is the 23% increase in iPhone prices. Apple raised prices to offset declining unit growth and its come back to bite the company.
    designrblurpbleepbloopwilliamlondonbaconstangelectrosoftkitatit
  • Reply 29 of 294
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    Apple is to expensive? Really? I just bought an iPad. Incrediable value for money!
    AppleExposedcornchipmagman1979jony0
  • Reply 30 of 294
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    ... sorry for the typos ...
  • Reply 31 of 294
    avon b7 said:
    Well, that was pretty clear. At least in part, pricing really IS an issue and I think a DED article today was implying China was performing well for Apple.
    And yet nothing in Cook’s letter that specifically talks about price. The biggest blunder in the last couple years is the 23% increase in iPhone prices. Apple raised prices to offset declining unit growth and its come back to bite the company.
    Whilst not directly mentioning price , it’s the only thing that explains this quote from Tim.  -

"While Greater China and other emerging markets accounted for the vast majority of the year-over-year iPhone revenue decline, in some developed markets, iPhone upgrades also were not as strong as we thought they would be."

• Reply 32 of 294
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Apple probably could have successfully raised prices, had they not picked a very bad moment, with a confluence of the strong dollar, Trump's tariffs, and a general global economic slowdown. However, what you also have to ask yourself as an investor is, what are other stocks doing? Mostly they'll be going down, as the entire market continues its correction. The biggest factor in my personal opinion is the Sugar Diet that the Republican tax cuts fed the economy -- now the sugar rush is over, and the current and future generations are waking up to their debt hangover.
    tmayroundaboutnowbaconstang
  • Reply 33 of 294
    One reason Cook listed for weak demand was cheaper battery replacement pricing. So is he admitting that the previous way of handling battery issues was intended to drive people to buy new phones?
    JWSCasdasdbitmodelijahgwilliamlondonbaconstangmuthuk_vanalingamelectrosoft
  • Reply 34 of 294
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    avon b7 said:
    What's that "splat" sound you hear?

It's millions of haters/losers/idiots all over the world having a collective orgasm at hearing this news. Seems they can only be happy when there's bad news about Apple.
    Truly. No one cares but if this news was about Samsung or Google you would be celebrating.

I refused to buy a 2018 iPhone due to pricing. Just as I refused the previous year's offerings.

When these last minute Apple promotions appeared, Apple got the sale but only by the skin of its teeth. I gave my reasons and millions of people probably share them. I definitely won't have orgasms over this news.
    You were NEVER going to buy an iPhone this year, but at least your wife did...
    AppleExposedelijahgbaconstang
  • Reply 35 of 294
    YvLy said:
    ... sorry for the typos ...
    If you click on the cog wheel in your post you can edit the typos.

Regards value in iPads, yes some are and have been great value. Others not so.

Although less today, this news hinges on iPhone (although there are other factors involved) and its importance as a revenue driver for Apple. It still commands a big piece of the pie.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 294
    Just wait for the new Mac pros. I'm sure Apple will price them incredibly high like all the rest of their stuff. $18k Mac, anyone?
    bitmodelijahg
  • Reply 37 of 294
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    What's that "splat" sound you hear?

It's millions of haters/losers/idiots all over the world having a collective orgasm at hearing this news. Seems they can only be happy when there's bad news about Apple.
    Truly. No one cares but if this news was about Samsung or Google you would be celebrating.

I refused to buy a 2018 iPhone due to pricing. Just as I refused the previous year's offerings.

When these last minute Apple promotions appeared, Apple got the sale but only by the skin of its teeth. I gave my reasons and millions of people probably share them. I definitely won't have orgasms over this news.
    You were NEVER going to buy an iPhone this year, but at least your wife did...
    Well, it ended up as a Christmas gift. It is my money TC will be reporting on in the next call.

I was priced out if the iPhone market years ago and frankly it was a great decision to switch.
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 294
    So are all the people who shit on anybody here who speculated iPhone sales might be soft going to apologize now? It was patently obvious once Apple started heavily pushing the trade-in program and displaying cheaper prices on apple.com homepage that there was an issue with sales.

Not for a minute.

Should someone who's wrong 24 quarters in a row (all the analysts and the idiots who believe them) that now finds their prediction come true one single time suddenly be praised for their insight? Or did they just get lucky after repeating the same tripe over and over to the point where one day they were finally correct?

We all know it's the latter.
    AppleExposedfastasleeproundaboutnowelijahgwilliamlondondedgeckoneil andersonbaconstangmagman1979jony0
  • Reply 39 of 294
    One thing they didn't mention is iOS 12.

It literally made older devices usable for another year. I bet that had at least some impact on sales.
    tmayAppleExposedrobbyxroundaboutnowelijahgwilliamlondondedgeckoGG1magman1979
  • Reply 40 of 294
    Why is it a surprise? I thought there were several indications the past few months that sales were slowing?