Apple lowers holiday quarter guidance on lower than expected iPhone sales

Comments

• Reply 81 of 294
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    Oh, good lord.

Personally, I’m not that crazy about the “X” phones and may get an iPhone 8 instead. I don’t want to give up the ease of use I like about having a home button to be honest and I don’t care for Face ID.
    Not a great fan of faceid myself and I have a X. The failure rate of the faceid vs finger id is at least 10x higher. 
    I love Face ID and would never go back to Touch ID but it’s possible that is a factor. Last year one of the new phones still had Touch ID. This year all the new phones were Face ID only. Perhaps people are more attached to the home button than we think.
    Perhaps the TouchID-based iPhones are just good enough. It might be prudent for Apple to keep 2 iPhones in development

iPhone Classic: iPhone 8 / 8 Plus design with upgraded internals (SoC + Camera) => $499 / $599 starting prices

iPhone Premium: Newest models with newest technologies (5.8" & 6.5") => $849 / $949 starting prices
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 82 of 294
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    sarrica said:
    I am holding off on a new iPhone and am sticking with my 6S Plus for a while longer due to Apple's higher prices. I'm sure I am not the only one...
    Why not? Still works?? But if you cannot afford a new iPhone theres a lot of android alternative. Nobody is twisting your arm to buy a latest and the greatest 
    Nobody even mentions that Apple is still selling the iPhone 7, 8 and now again the X. If you don’t need the latest model, there are plenty of less-expensive models to choose from. People are focusing on the most-expensive Xs Max instead of the whole lineup. Yes the Xs Max is expensive - one reason I’m keeping my 8 Plus. But it’s not all there is. 
    It's ridiculous isn't it?

People complain about price and then quote the most expensive iPhone as an example.

The latest iPhone is $750.

When do people complain that Ford is too expensive and then continue to quote the $70,000 Shelby Mustang?
    Like they say, people have special rules for Apple.
    edited January 2019 elijahgwilliamlondonneil andersonbaconstang
  • Reply 83 of 294
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Oh, good lord.

Personally, I’m not that crazy about the “X” phones and may get an iPhone 8 instead. I don’t want to give up the ease of use I like about having a home button to be honest and I don’t care for Face ID.
    You obviously haven't used an "X" phone if you think the home button has some sort of ease of use advantage. The new gestures are far superior, I had to go back to a 6 when replacing my X and it was a miserable experience.
    ericthehalfbeeroundaboutnowneil andersonuktechie
  • Reply 84 of 294
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Apple downgrades its guidance and suddenly all the naysayers are geniuses in their own fabricated little universes. Amazing. It's like a broken clock that is accurate exactly twice a day. Again, Apple is always hiring so let's see those broken clock expert resumes heading out to Cupertino so the angry army of ephemeral redemption can set Tim & Co. back on to the righteous path to profitability. 

The sad thing to realize for those who revel in Apple's quarterly shortfall is that this is a clear signal that the mass incineration of wealth taking place under the current US administration has no limits. Nobody is too smart, too innovative, or too efficient to escape the gross incompetence that is now a cancer on the US and world economy. This is not an "Apple problem" or a "Tim Cook problem." This is what happens when you send a boy (brain) in to do a man's job. The US economy is the mothership upon which the rich, poor, and all of those in-between rely on for safety, security, and long term financial sustainment. It's now being scuttled from within for the personal whims and sick amusement of someone who is as far out of touch with reality as a living organism can possibly be.
    ericthehalfbeeAppleExposedroundaboutnowfastasleepbaconstang
  • Reply 85 of 294
    robbyx said:
    avon b7 said:
    And right on cue, the salivating trolls come marching onto EVERY Apple site in existence by the truckload!
    Forget trolls. What is your opinion on what is happening on iPhone? 

The rest of the business seems to be doing ok. They have a lot of cash reserves to pull on. That won't save them from a roller coaster ride, short term, but iPhone is suffering. Do you agree with TCs line or do you think he is airbrushing bits? Are prices too high? Is competition playing a part? Are iPhones underperforming on features? Etc.
    The smartphone market is mature. I can easily afford the top of the line iPhone model, but I see no reason to upgrade from my 7 Plus. I think a lot of people feel this way.  Even if Apple dropped prices tomorrow, I still wouldn’t upgrade.  My 7 Plus is great. I’d like FaceID, but that’s not enough of a reason to upgrade. 

I dont think prices are the issue. There are iPhone models under $500.  Top of the line is very pricey, but Apple has nice offerings at several price points. The market is saturated and mature and this was bound to happen. 
    If price wasn’t an issue why did Tim keep mentioning subsidies going away? Why did he mention not marketing the trade-in program enough? Both of those things scream price issues. Which was obvious when the front page of apple.com was displaying this:

elijahgmazda 3smuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 86 of 294
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Oh, good lord.

Not a great fan of faceid myself and I have a X. The failure rate of the faceid vs finger id is at least 10x higher. 
    Can you cite where you got this information?  Call me skeptical but your factoid seems quite speculative to me.
    AppleExposedericthehalfbeewilliamlondon
  • Reply 87 of 294
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Oh, good lord.

Your device is either defective or you're doing it wrong. 
    AppleExposedroundaboutnowwilliamlondon
  • Reply 88 of 294
    avon b7 said:
    So are all the people who shit on anybody here who speculated iPhone sales might be soft going to apologize now? It was patently obvious once Apple started heavily pushing the trade-in program and displaying cheaper prices on apple.com homepage that there was an issue with sales.

Not for a minute.

Should someone who's wrong 24 quarters in a row (all the analysts and the idiots who believe them) that now finds their prediction come true one single time suddenly be praised for their insight? Or did they just get lucky after repeating the same tripe over and over to the point where one day they were finally correct?

We all know it's the latter.
    Of course, you could have simply accepted a differing opinion and countered with your own reasoned input instead of jumping on posters and labelling them as trolls, shills, idiots and what not. There is no 'getting lucky' here. Price ceilings exist. You have one. I have one. Most of us do. If prices increase in a saturated market and Apple hasn't pushed the envelope on a tech level, something is likely to give. With iPhone, it just gave.

We're focusing on iPhone mainly here and rightly so.

If you don't call being right one time only a lucky guess, then what do you call it?

And what do you call being wrong 24+ times? Bad luck? Oh wait, you said luck isn't involved. So being wrong for years and years is what, incompetence?
    You’re such a troll! Go stand in the corner and think about your actions. 

Ahhhh, did I upset you with facts?
    fastasleepelijahg
  • Reply 89 of 294
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    sarrica said:
    I am holding off on a new iPhone and am sticking with my 6S Plus for a while longer due to Apple's higher prices. I'm sure I am not the only one...
    Why not? Still works?? But if you cannot afford a new iPhone theres a lot of android alternative. Nobody is twisting your arm to buy a latest and the greatest 
    Nobody even mentions that Apple is still selling the iPhone 7, 8 and now again the X. If you don’t need the latest model, there are plenty of less-expensive models to choose from. People are focusing on the most-expensive Xs Max instead of the whole lineup. Yes the Xs Max is expensive - one reason I’m keeping my 8 Plus. But it’s not all there is. 

People complain about price and then quote the most expensive iPhone as an example.

The cheapest latest iPhone I can get without a trade in is 850€. That is a huge amount for just 64GB of storage, single camera, huge bezels etc.

elijahgmuthuk_vanalingamkitatituktechie
  • Reply 90 of 294
    I have the 7 Plus 256GB model and I paid out around a grand for it then.  While I'm sure there are TONS of people out there who can shell out a grand all the time for a phone, it really hurt to purchase it, but I knew it'd last me several years.  I'll one day purchase a new one, but that won't be this year, and probably won't be next year either.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 91 of 294
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    robbyx said:
    avon b7 said:
    And right on cue, the salivating trolls come marching onto EVERY Apple site in existence by the truckload!
    Forget trolls. What is your opinion on what is happening on iPhone? 

The rest of the business seems to be doing ok. They have a lot of cash reserves to pull on. That won't save them from a roller coaster ride, short term, but iPhone is suffering. Do you agree with TCs line or do you think he is airbrushing bits? Are prices too high? Is competition playing a part? Are iPhones underperforming on features? Etc.
    The smartphone market is mature. I can easily afford the top of the line iPhone model, but I see no reason to upgrade from my 7 Plus. I think a lot of people feel this way.  Even if Apple dropped prices tomorrow, I still wouldn’t upgrade.  My 7 Plus is great. I’d like FaceID, but that’s not enough of a reason to upgrade. 

I dont think prices are the issue. There are iPhone models under $500.  Top of the line is very pricey, but Apple has nice offerings at several price points. The market is saturated and mature and this was bound to happen. 
    If price wasn’t an issue why did Tim keep mentioning subsidies going away? Why did he mention not marketing the trade-in program enough? Both of those things scream price issues. Which was obvious when the front page of apple.com was displaying this:

I know many people with older phones and none of them WANT to upgrade. They don’t care about pricing. They are satisfied with their current devices. I was just helping a friend with her Mac today. It’s 8 years old and works fine.  She sees no reason to upgrade. The same thing is happening with phones.

As I said, Apple has phone models at a variety of price points. Stop focusing on the top of the line.  Phones are mature. The tech is mature. There aren’t a lot of new features. Faster, better screen, better camera...yawn. My phone is fast enough and the camera is fine. The days of annual upgrades are over.

Price is a factor, but it’s not the issue. 
    edited January 2019 AppleExposedelijahgbaconstanguktechie
  • Reply 92 of 294
    I upgraded last year to an 8.  I'd love to have an XS Max but just can't bite that big a bullet one year later.

I think the unspoken story here is that Apple got too ambitious with the price increases across their product line.  Price of entry on everything went up significantly.
    muthuk_vanalingamkitatituktechie
  • Reply 93 of 294
    Oh, good lord.

I love Face ID and would never go back to Touch ID but it’s possible that is a factor. Last year one of the new phones still had Touch ID. This year all the new phones were Face ID only. Perhaps people are more attached to the home button than we think.
    I went from a 4s straight to an X. So I never had Touch ID but probably would have used it if I did have it. But I have never been interested in using the Face ID on my X.
    Grayeaglebaconstang
  • Reply 94 of 294
    dewme said:
    Apple downgrades its guidance and suddenly all the naysayers are geniuses in their own fabricated little universes. Amazing. It's like a broken clock that is accurate exactly twice a day. Again, Apple is always hiring so let's see those broken clock expert resumes heading out to Cupertino so the angry army of ephemeral redemption can set Tim & Co. back on to the righteous path to profitability. 

The sad thing to realize for those who revel in Apple's quarterly shortfall is that this is a clear signal that the mass incineration of wealth taking place under the current US administration has no limits. Nobody is too smart, too innovative, or too efficient to escape the gross incompetence that is now a cancer on the US and world economy. This is not an "Apple problem" or a "Tim Cook problem." This is what happens when you send a boy (brain) in to do a man's job. The US economy is the mothership upon which the rich, poor, and all of those in-between rely on for safety, security, and long term financial sustainment. It's now being scuttled from within for the personal whims and sick amusement of someone who is as far out of touch with reality as a living organism can possibly be.
    Well, Apple might not break a world record this quarter so they're doomed? Damn... FIRE COOK NOW!!!!!

baconstang
  • Reply 95 of 294
    avon b7 said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    sarrica said:

The cheapest latest iPhone I can get without a trade in is 850€. That is a huge amount for just 64GB of storage, single camera, huge bezels etc.

It's still the latest iPhone.

Don't move the goalposts.
    elijahg
  • Reply 96 of 294
    lewchenko said:
    avon b7 said:
    Well, that was pretty clear. At least in part, pricing really IS an issue and I think a DED article today was implying China was performing well for Apple.
    And yet nothing in Cook’s letter that specifically talks about price. The biggest blunder in the last couple years is the 23% increase in iPhone prices. Apple raised prices to offset declining unit growth and its come back to bite the company.
    Whilst not directly mentioning price , it’s the only thing that explains this quote from Tim.  -

"While Greater China and other emerging markets accounted for the vast majority of the year-over-year iPhone revenue decline, in some developed markets, iPhone upgrades also were not as strong as we thought they would be."

Well, it could be possible the new negative gain antennas affected more people than they thought; interestingly enough, the  unhappy early adopters who are usually the most loyal customers that they totally ignored. To this day have they dignified those fans with an admittance, an explanation, or a promise to make things right? Or is Tim still ignoring it/them, just like he ignored his stockholders as the price plummeted?

• Reply 97 of 294
    Oh, good lord.

Perhaps the TouchID-based iPhones are just good enough. It might be prudent for Apple to keep 2 iPhones in development

iPhone Classic: iPhone 8 / 8 Plus design with upgraded internals (SoC + Camera) => $499 / $599 starting prices

iPhone Premium: Newest models with newest technologies (5.8" & 6.5") => $849 / $949 starting prices
    The SE is gone and there is no new phone at the price range that the 6/6S/7 launched at. I hope 2019 iPhones are cheaper but outside of the original iPhone when’s the last time Apple has done a major price cut on the product?
    elijahg
  • Reply 98 of 294
    Anilu_777 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    sarrica said:

When do people complain that Ford is too expensive and then continue to quote the $70,000 Shelby Mustang?
    Like they say, people have special rules for Apple.
    Ya that claim keeps being made. However the piddly insultingly low 64GB of storage make that phone useless many.  If you're replacing an older phone that cost less but had not storage and you're using it, that low end entry phone isn't going to cut it. That send to be Apple's strategy. Put devices with very low storage (and RAM on MacBooks) to try and bring people in. Then when they spec the machine they need is hundreds or thousands more. 
    uktechie
  • Reply 99 of 294
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    dewme said:

You should probably send your resume to the White House based on your own logic. 

One type of argument I’ve always hated is  of the type “if you are so smart why aren’t you doing that job”. That would exempt us from criticising anybody in a high level position. Except you contradicted yourself in the next post. 

The real problem with China sales wasn’t tariffs (that should hurt iPhones be sales in the US) but the response to the arrest of the Huweii CFO. 

Meng Wanzhou Was arrested in a 3rd country, Canada, for violation of US laws regarding a 4th, Iran. Imperial over reach. 

Immediately the Chinese reduced their purchases of iPhones, with companies that used to buy them for employees moving to local suppliers. 

As as far as I can see there’s fairly large support politically for the Iranian sanctions. The president doesn’t shoulder all the blame. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 100 of 294
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Shtz...Luckily, I dumped all AAPL in my regular investment and left only $5000 of this stock in IRA account.