Cook promises Apple will 'learn' and 'take action' in memo to workers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    Most companies would kill to make $84 billion in a quarter and can only dream of that in a year. The companies that are ahead of Apple in terms of annual revenue are: Walmart, *State Grid, *Sinopec, *China National Petroleum, Royal Dutch Shell, Toyota, Volkswagen, BP, ExxonMobil, and Berkshire Hathaway. This puts Apple at #11, which is above Samsung at #12. Amazon shows up at #18. No sign of Netflix, Facebook, Google, Dell, Microsoft in the top 50.

*State-owned enterprises
    ouraganh2pneil andersonAppleExposed
  • Reply 22 of 88
    Cut the prices of all Apple product line to some kinda ‘normal’ level (that is why those home brewed Chinese companies are rocking you now...not everyone is high-faluting although so many want to appear to be so...be a real force for social change because most of the world are getting poorer...lower your prices to realistic levels because you can still have premium devices without having the status price points) open up the iOS to allow ‘normal’ file management and i/o. Spend more time on running a tech company and less time leading the charge on social issues Focus on hardware not curated content by the self absorbed flavor-of-the-day ‘experts’ and media personalities READ AND TAKE SERIOUSLY THE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS (AND DISREGARD THE UNSWAYED FANDOM FOUND WITHIN THESE FORUMS) cheers...I love you Apple
    edited January 2019 AI_liasmobirdelijahgouragan
  • Reply 23 of 88
    I have little reason to upgrade from my 6s, and with the new iPhone models I feel like I would be getting less because they removed the 5¢ headphone jack. A friend of mine has been through 4 dongles already.

Same for the new MacBook Air, it's got the new keyboard that is too thin and noisy and removes ports I need. Other vendors are indeed adding USB-C , but they aren't removing everything else. 

I just flat out disagree with "cheaping out" on devices in the name of some new vision of ecosystem.

It's tough to keep drinking the Kool Aid when it is being soured.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 88
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    maestro64 said:
    The world is coming to an end, but Apple still will put more money into the bank this pass quarter than any other company. and Apple will use that money to buy back more of it shares at a lower cost. Those how are long time holder will get more dividends and able to repurchase shares at a lower cost. At some point there will be less share available for a company generating more cash then any company could imagine doing and then what is the market going to do.

With that said, Apple had to see this coming, the whole battery replacement impacting new sales and the fact consumers are hanging on to phones longer and longer. 
    As it was said, most of the phone in my house is now on the 4 yr upgrade cycle with at least one battery replacement in the middle. Even if Apple did not have any sort of battery issue, you can only charge and discharge a battery so many times, add any amount of heat to this process and the battery will fall off at some point. The who trade war which had been talk about since the beginning of the summer and Apple did not think this would not have some level of impact on their business, if that was the case it was short sighted on their part. They had to know all this back in the fall and they still put forward higher estimates.
    Yes, Apple will survive without the China market like it did twenty years ago. And Apple better prepare for it long term. Only Jobs can change it. But there is not more Jobs. 
  • Reply 25 of 88
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    tzeshan said:
    maestro64 said:
    The world is coming to an end, but Apple still will put more money into the bank this pass quarter than any other company. and Apple will use that money to buy back more of it shares at a lower cost. Those how are long time holder will get more dividends and able to repurchase shares at a lower cost. At some point there will be less share available for a company generating more cash then any company could imagine doing and then what is the market going to do.

With that said, Apple had to see this coming, the whole battery replacement impacting new sales and the fact consumers are hanging on to phones longer and longer. 
    As it was said, most of the phone in my house is now on the 4 yr upgrade cycle with at least one battery replacement in the middle. Even if Apple did not have any sort of battery issue, you can only charge and discharge a battery so many times, add any amount of heat to this process and the battery will fall off at some point. The who trade war which had been talk about since the beginning of the summer and Apple did not think this would not have some level of impact on their business, if that was the case it was short sighted on their part. They had to know all this back in the fall and they still put forward higher estimates.
    Yes, Apple will survive without the China market like it did twenty years ago. And Apple better prepare for it long term. Only Jobs can change it. But there is not more Jobs. 
    Drink...
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 26 of 88
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    There is another change iPhone users should be aware. EU has forced Google to start charging its Android apps. The iOS seems cannot avoid it. This year new iPhone probably will not install free Google apps. And iOS probably will not transfer the apps from old phones. But I am not certain of the second. 
  • Reply 27 of 88
    According to Cook this has a lot to do with China's economy and not much to do with anything else, including pricing.
    delreyjones
  • Reply 28 of 88
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    Could part of it be that the new X design is just not being well received?  A few people I asked who have the X or XS have lukewarm comments on it.  “It’s okay” or “I miss my old phone” are some of the things I heard.  I myself am on the fence with the larger sizes.  
  • Reply 29 of 88
    tzeshan said:
    There is another change iPhone users should be aware. EU has forced Google to start charging its Android apps. The iOS seems cannot avoid it. This year new iPhone probably will not install free Google apps. And iOS probably will not transfer the apps from old phones. But I am not certain of the second. 
    I think you misunderstand the Google-EU resolution.  Isn't the issue just about what comes pre-installed on Android devices?  They can still give away apps.  And Apple doesn't ship any iOS devices with Google software pre-installed, so this is a non-issue.  If I'm wrong, and Google will be required to sell Google Maps (or whatever) for a buck instead or free, how will that hurt or help Apple sales?  I can't imagine it making a material difference.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 88
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    tulkas said:
    They lost price discipline. Ahrendts gained too much influence and appears to have convinced Tim that they could go full out fashion house pricing strategy “we priced super high so people that want spend a lot can”.

hopefully that’s a lesson Tim learns. Let Angela run the stores, let the professionals run the business.

I guarantee you Angela Ahrents has no involvement in setting iPhone prices. I doubt Jony Ive does either.
    I guarantee that you can't make that guarantee. 
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Tim Cook certainly doesn't need my advice, but nonetheless here are some observations and suggestions ;-)

- Macroeconomics forces certainly had some impact as the impact of the Trade War, Currency Fluctuations, etc. tended to suppress demand on in China. 
    - Apple raised prices just as the major carriers ended subsidies on their smartphone plans. This suppressed demand since customers either went for less expensive phones or they simply upgraded on a 3-4 year cycle and not the 2-year cycle.
    - Apple has become too dependent on iPhone sales which account for approximately 70% of revenue. Any softening of demand has a significant effect to Apple's revenues.
    - Apple's Macintosh products are not as 'innovative' as they once were. Lack of a high-end modular Mac is a symptom of a larger issue...

I think Apple is still in a strong position, however like any big company they have become bureaucratic and a bit complacent. New, innovative products are Apple's lifeblood and they have spent the last few years refining existing products vs. introducing innovative new ones. Expect Apple to shake things up in 2019... 

entropysouraganh2p
  • Reply 32 of 88
    I have little reason to upgrade from my 6s, and with the new iPhone models I feel like I would be getting less because they removed the 5¢ headphone jack. A friend of mine has been through 4 dongles already.

Same for the new MacBook Air, it's got the new keyboard that is too thin and noisy and removes ports I need. Other vendors are indeed adding USB-C , but they aren't removing everything else. 

I just flat out disagree with "cheaping out" on devices in the name of some new vision of ecosystem.

It's tough to keep drinking the Kool Aid when it is being soured.
    I don't think "your friend" is typical.

I'm looking at the new Dell laptop that I was given at work and it has 3 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports, a headphone jack, and a tiny SD slot, period.  So while they aren't following Apple in removing everything else, they are certainly very close.  (As a side note, it sure is nice to be able to use the same power brick to power either my MacBook pro or this Dell thing.  Oddly enough this Dell runs warm and runs out of power in a day even when in "sleep" mode.  I think I'll stick with MacOS for my personal needs.)

I don't know what you mean about "cheaping out."  I guarantee you the phone jack wasn't removed from the iPhone to save 5 cents a unit.
    JWSCh2p
  • Reply 33 of 88
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    sixcolors said:
    iPhones have become too expensive, I simply quit upgrading.

Apple's other products don't offer any compelling upgrades to the older models I already have. I despise the new MacBook Pro and have zero interest in the trashcan 2013 Mac Pro.
    Couldn't disagree more.   I held off upgrading my iMac and MBP 15" for several years longer than normal because Apple/Intel's solutions didn't fit my needs.  That changed in late 2017/2018 as all of my issues have been resolved (keyboard fixes, 32Gb available on the MBP, standardized Thunderbolt 3, significantly improved MacOS and iOS, Bluetooth 5, and yes I really like the Touch Bar and am already modifying it for my workflow using BetterTouchTool).  The speed and efficiency of my workflow is about double what my previous hardware allowed.

As for the iPhone, I again hadn't upgraded in a few years and moved from an iPhone 7 to Xs - the difference is dramatic, especially with the display and camera.  I travel internationally and the dual SIM option is great (although new in the US it has been working in Asia since launch).  

I moved to an iPad Pro 10" in 2017 but jumped to upgrade  in 2018 to the IPP 12" and couldn't be happier.    The USB-C is compatible with hubs like CalDigit's TB-3 Plus (allowing both charging iTunes connection, as well as access to the accessory ports).  I don't use the iPad like a normal computer (its a new tool, and those that want to see the iOS devices become laptop replacements or computer replacements (or vice versa) are missing the point).  Current iOS provides some unique opportunities to improve workflow across devices:  such as using tags/filters and Files app to sort and maintain data - sort of like an improved Evernote, and utilizing the Notes and pencil for on the go markup and signatures.  In short iOS devices allow me to get things done more quickly on the go, but don't provide the heavy duty lifting that a computer or laptop provides.  However the synergy between the two (which for years was lacking due to poor file sharing capabilities) has improved to the point where these devices can work together to accomplish complex tasks in almost any environment,  

In summary Apple's devices are expensive - but the Apple ecosystem as a whole is extremely efficient and provides the tools I need to do my work (and play) anywhere, anytime.   And that to me is worth the extra cost for the hardware.
    elijahgpalomineJWSCroundaboutnowouraganh2p
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Cut the prices of all Apple product line to some kinda ‘normal’ level (that is why those home brewed Chinese companies are rocking you now...not everyone is high-faluting although so many want to appear to be so...be a real force for social change because most of the world are getting poorer...lower your prices to realistic levels because you can still have premium devices without having the status price points) open up the iOS to allow ‘normal’ file management and i/o. Spend more time on running a tech company and less time leading the charge on social issues Focus on hardware not curated content by the self absorbed flavor-of-the-day ‘experts’ and media personalities READ AND TAKE SERIOUSLY THE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS (AND DISREGARD THE UNSWAYED FANDOM FOUND WITHIN THESE FORUMS) cheers...I love you Apple
    Actually the real standard of living continues to rise virtually everywhere on the globe and has been for decades.  The world isn't getting poorer.

https://ourworldindata.org/a-history-of-global-living-conditions-in-5-charts

http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/human-development-index-hdi
    muthuk_vanalingamJWSC
  • Reply 35 of 88
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    “all-hands” meeting usually means exit of half of all personnel ... to keep the (exploit) margin in check for the shareholders and board of directors.

• Reply 36 of 88
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    M68000 said:
    Could part of it be that the new X design is just not being well received?  A few people I asked who have the X or XS have lukewarm comments on it.  “It’s okay” or “I miss my old phone” are some of the things I heard.  I myself am on the fence with the larger size
    Personally I like the design. Edge-less, FaceID instead of a home button, the dual cameras. I like it a lot. On the other hand I do NOT like the pressure toward larger sized phones. I like a small phone like my SE. The iPhoneXS is larger than I care for but I could get used to it if I had to I suppose. The rest of the X line is absurd.
    elijahgouraganAppleExposed
  • Reply 38 of 88
    Apple isn't the only American company that could take a bath if China's economy struggles. 
    randominternetpersonpalomineouragan
  • Reply 39 of 88
    I really don't see the issue here. Tim Cook writing an apology letter to the employees is the only issue. Sorry that we are only making $84 billion dollars this quarter, and the fact that despite the lowered guidance, due to our ridiculous ASP's in 2018 we will still make a much higher profit than we did in the year ago quarter. Sorry for what? All this fuss over nothing. They are still making 3 x the revenue of Google and Microsoft every single quarter.
    He's sorry over the fact that the stock is 40% lower than a few months ago. If your compensation depended on Apple's stock price, you'd be sorry too.
    randominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingamJWSCouragan
  • Reply 40 of 88

It’s pretty pathetic that $84 billion in a single quarter just isn’t enough.
    Of course it's "enough". At a lower stock price, for sure.

There's nothing "pathetic" about that!?
    edited January 2019 muthuk_vanalingam