Apple plasters privacy ad on billboard near Las Vegas Convention Center ahead of CES

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    robbyx said:

]  I don't think there's a company on Earth that more people want to see fail (for who knows what bizarre reason) than Apple.
    How about Tesla?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 22 of 90
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I’d like to see Apple snow up at CES.  Not in a booth, but out among the throngs, getting the best pics and videos of the happenings using iPhone cameras.  And maybe directly challenging (trolling) the booth workers of their competition.  Sort of like a roving Pepsi challenge, upstaging anything the competition can bring to the challenge.
    Maybe Hauwai will show up at WWDC getting the best photos with their P20 Pro.

Just kidding I don't own a Huawai and wouldn't buy anything from a Chinese company that has my digital information but I really think most people who need to do photos and videos will be using DSLRs  - Glad to see that Apple has a very good sensor in the Xr from Samsung.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    That is a brilliant ad, and a great play on the Vegas slogan. No doubt this is going to piss off a lot of people.
    No most people will shrug it off.   Apple has been sounding like they are running around saying “The sky is falling.   The sky is falling” when it’s only the price of Apple Stock falling.
    And all the while Apple is acting as my agent to buy out any of my partners (co-owners of Apple) who don’t have the confidence in the company’s future I have and Apple management has.  Thank you Apple.  I’m happy owning a larger and larger share of the company’s future earnings.  Every quarter my percentage ownership goes up.  And while the stock price falls on fear, uncertainty and doubt, Apple has just told us that, even with a year-over-year drop in revenues, the company will report its highest ever earnings per share this quarter.  And that reduced share count will yield similar results long into the future; it’s not merely a one-time effect.  
    I think Apple should have spent more of that money to acquire HERE Maps 5 years ago, SONOS a few years ago, and Canon now, along with a lot more money into Solid State Battery research.    I would hate to see Apple having to pay LG, Samsung, or Panasonic for the technology when it comes along.    I would much rather Apple be the first two to three years ahead (Edit2: ago) with the Technology.   And of Course Apple should have been putting BILLIONS into fixing SIRI half a decade ago.

Edit: if they were going to drop QualComm they should have also invested in designing and manufacturing their own modems 5 years ago too.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 24 of 90
    This is a winner for Apple...the first three companies to have a billion users were Google, Yahoo and Facebook (not sure if that's the correct order) and they all harvest data.

In fact, 90% of the data harvested has been harvested in the last 2 years.

I hope Apple can make all our devices anonymous to these unscrupulous companies.

Best.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 90
    k2kw said:
    And all the while Apple is acting as my agent to buy out any of my partners (co-owners of Apple) who don’t have the confidence in the company’s future I have and Apple management has.  Thank you Apple.  I’m happy owning a larger and larger share of the company’s future earnings.  Every quarter my percentage ownership goes up.  And while the stock price falls on fear, uncertainty and doubt, Apple has just told us that, even with a year-over-year drop in revenues, the company will report its highest ever earnings per share this quarter.  And that reduced share count will yield similar results long into the future; it’s not merely a one-time effect.  
    I think Apple should have spent more of that money to acquire HERE Maps 5 years ago, SONOS a few years ago, and Canon now, along with a lot more money into Solid State Battery research.    I would hate to see Apple having to pay LG, Samsung, or Panasonic for the technology when it comes along.    I would much rather Apple be the first two to three years ahead (Edit2: ago) with the Technology.   And of Course Apple should have been putting BILLIONS into fixing SIRI half a decade ago.

Edit: if they were going to drop QualComm they should have also invested in designing and manufacturing their own modems 5 years ago too.
    That sure is a lot of investment you are expecting them to do. You make it sound so simple. I mean, it’s amazing they had never thought of doing such things. Can you please explain your logic that a company should invest in and buy up everything? Can you name me one example in which a company being run like you suggested survives to see the fruits of their labour? 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    This is a winner for Apple...the first three companies to have a billion users were Google, Yahoo and Facebook (not sure if that's the correct order) and they all harvest data.

I hope Apple can make all our devices anonymous to these unscrupulous companies.

Best.
    You're honestly suggesting that Apple partners with unscrupulous companies, at least until it no longer benefits them? Wow....
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 90
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Great ad for all the tech journalists at CES. Happy that it’s now part of Apple marketing strategy. Believe privacy concerns will grow with pervasive AI etc. This billboard commitment by Apple likely to be remembered. That said, as company gets further into ad supported services, things like default settings and deals w third parties get more complex. My hope is some independent groups annually rate big tech companies on privacy and security.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 90
    iou12iou12 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This sign does not apply to any citizen in China or any Criminal in USA. A better sign would say 'Whats in your wallet', as my wallet is very full since I only use Androids
  • Reply 29 of 90
    RootytootyfreshandfruityRootytootyfreshandfruity Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    No doubt damage control for the new Linux phone about to break-out into the scene.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Then why when I opened my new XR was my wife's 
    cloud, iTunes, maps, Paypal account etc and who knows what else
    all over my phone ?
    It even says "Hi Barbara Lawler"
    Is that supposed to be Smart.
    It's OK now;
    but if I was in a bad relationship  ????????????????????? 
  • Reply 31 of 90
    mr lizard said:
    Apple’s by far a world leader compared to other tech companies when it comes to privacy. But what happens on your iPhone doesn’t stay on your iPhone, unless you don’t use iCloud and don’t use third party apps.  

iCloud backups are encrypted but Apple has the encryption keys, and can (and does) comply with law enforcement requests to hand over such data

Apple markets apps in its own App Store which collect and process data, sometimes in ways which aren’t clear to the user (there’s a company called Facebook which comes to mind).

Safari does more than probably any other browser in the world to prevent tracking, but it can’t prevent it completely. 

Are any of these things examples of Apple not taking care of their users’ privacy? No, of course not. Especially when it comes to third parties. 

But is stating “what happens on your iPhone, stays on your iPhone” a misleading statement? Could a casual user read that and take it at face value, believing that *everything* they do on their device is somehow protected and guarded in a way that it isn’t on competing devices? Could they think that using Facebook on their iPhone is safer than using it on a competing device, because they believe what happens on their iPhone stays on their iPhone? 

iPhone is the most privacy focused technology device manufactured for the consumer market. That’s something Apple can and should be proud of, and should market the hell out of. 

But what happens on your iPhone doesn’t stay on your iPhone. 

This is a ridiculous comment and completely misses the point.

This has nothing to do with legal requests for data from the police (for example). It’s that Apple doesn’t rely on your data as their source of income (like Google and Facebook do). They’re not out peddling your data to other companies, giving people access to your data through APIs or abusing your data for monetary gain.

For example, there are numerous APIs within Android to allow an App access to things like your text messages, phone call log, phone number or even device ID information. These do not exist in iOS. Nor does Apple have APIs that “analytics” companies can use to glean users habits by skimming over data on Apple servers.

Apple also doesn’t have code injected into countless websites that lets them see what you’ve been browsing and allows them to track your online habits.

Privacy is also related to security. Having a device that’s secure from prying eyes (or less susceptible to malware) has a direct impact on your privacy.

I could go on but I hope I’ve made my point.
    StrangeDayscornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 32 of 90
    hexclock said:
    sfolax said:
    That is a brilliant ad, and a great play on the Vegas slogan. No doubt this is going to piss off a lot of people.
    No, it's quite wrong actually.

There are many people that take photos while doing naughty things, only to have it pop up on the Apple TV screen saver at home a few seconds later.
    Care to back that assertion up with some evidence? No, I thought not. 
    Which assertion do you dispute; that it happens or just that it happens to lots of people?

If the former, I'm your evidence. I had a picture on my camera roll that, while not naughty, was not something I wanted my grandson to see. Thanks to iCloud photo sharing, he did.

Don't get me wrong, I take complete responsibility for it happening. I could have prevented it by adjusting my settings. It's just one of those things you don't really think about until it happens.

I don't think that rises to the level of contradicting Apple's message though. The picture was only seen in my home by members of my family. It was not exposed to government surveillance or stolen by evil-doers. Any least I don't THINK it was! :)
    cgWerkscornchip
  • Reply 33 of 90
    razzamarassrazzamarass Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Hexclock:
    No, it's quite wrong actually.

There are many people that take photos while doing naughty things, only to have it pop up on the Apple TV screen saver at home a few seconds later.
    Care to back that assertion up with some evidence? No, I thought not. 
    Just because it hasn't happened you you (...yet), that means it hasn't happened to countless others, right? Really?
  • Reply 34 of 90
    razzamarassrazzamarass Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    cornchip said:
    ...Apple allows you to opt out...
    Wow! How big of them to *ALLOW* opt out, if you can figure out how... What about only violating privacy of users only if they opt *IN* ? Novel concept?
    cgWerks
  • Reply 35 of 90
    Obdurate VerityObdurate Verity Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I love to hear how Apple is standing up to China and refusing to afford their government surreptitious access to Apple devices!
    cgWerks
  • Reply 36 of 90
    gatorguy said:

Best.
    You're honestly suggesting that Apple partners with unscrupulous companies, at least until it no longer benefits them? Wow....
    Hmmmm...I guess I am. The world's not perfect. But I prefer Apple's approach over Facebook's.

Facebook and Google are a lot more insidious than you may think.

I remember Stevo saying Facebook's conditions were "onerous."

Pretty strong word, don't you think?

Best.

In an ideal world, I'd like Apple to put out a beta Instagram/facebook-like service (Social), buy Duck, Duck Go (Search), and buy Sprint (Mobile USA), a beta YouTube-type (video)...and just make them better as time goes by as only Apple can do!  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 90
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    My goodness this fact really brought out the one post trolls!

jfpetey said:
    Debunked a long time ago. Go back to your spyware OS named Android. 
    kiltedgreenStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 90
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Privacy has finally come into its own as a premium product.  Many products do not interest me.  Privacy does.  Privacy is a value-add that is worth a tremendous amount of money to customers.  Apple will be able to monetize its superior privacy just as Facebook monetizes the opposite.
    AppleExposedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 90
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    This is not true and could be the basis of a class action lawsuit against Apple. Sure they value privacy more than most, but if any time in the future any of the data on our phones gets exfiltrated without our consent, then Apple is straight up lying or straight up arrogant. It is irresponsible on Apple's part. They should instead be educating their users about how best to secure their data instead of saying "just trust us and don't worry about anything."
    edited January 2019 Jay_B_Terclingeravon b7
  • Reply 40 of 90
    AcT3AcT3 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Stupid slogan. iPhone is a media device that sends and receives.  What is on an iPhone doesn't stay on the iPhone if you text, use twitter, facebook, search google, send emails, etc....