iTunes & AirPlay 2 coming to Samsung's 2018 and 2019 Smart Televisions [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2019
In a radical departure from Apple's normal exclusivity, some of Samsung's 2018 and 2019 Smart TV models will soon get an app enabling access to iTunes movies and TV shows, and AirPlay 2 compatibility to boot. [Updated with news on other brands]

iTunes on Samsung TV

The iTunes app will come preloaded on 2019 TVs, and to 2018 models in the form of a firmware update, Samsung said. It should be accessible in over 100 countries, and people will be able to buy or rent any title including 4K HDR selections. The app will even have hooks for Bixby, Samsung's proprietary voice assistant.

"We look forward to bringing the iTunes and AirPlay 2 experience to even more customers around the world through Samsung Smart TVs, so iPhone, iPad and Mac users have yet another way to enjoy all their favorite content on the biggest screen in their home," wrote Eddy Cue, Apple's senior VP of Internet Software and Services.

Until now Apple has kept access to iTunes video firmly within its walls, limiting it almost entirely to first-party hardware, the exception being Windows PCs.

The company may be opening things up in anticipation of its upcoming streaming service, set to debut sometime this year with a slate of $1 billion or more in original programming. Limiting access to Apple devices would likely make it hard to turn a profit, assuming the company goes forward with rumored subscription plans. Apple-owned shows may be free to watch on the company's platforms.

On AirPlay 2, Samsung explained that people will be able to push photos and video to TVs, not just audio. To date third-party AirPlay 2 support has been mostly constrained to speakers and receivers.

Update: Apple says that AirPlay 2 will be "coming soon" to TVs by other manufacturers as well, and that people will be able to use Siri commands like "Play 'Blade Runner 2049' in the Living Room." Samsung is aiming to debut support this spring.

AppleInsider will be attending the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 8 through January 11 where we're expecting 5G devices, HomeKit, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.
Caffiend

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Has hell frozen over . What am I hearing !! 🧐
    anantksundaramksecwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 106
    Will these Samsung TVs be able to send their own audio to an Airplay 2 speaker (e.g. a HomePod)?
    cornchipentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 106
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    So why do we need an AppleTV at this point.

Apple is just whoring themselves at competitors at this point. 
  • Reply 4 of 106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

When apple supported Movies Anywhere it removed the need for an Apple TV for many people. 

Im shocked but pleased with Apples decision. They need a strong services play. 
    gilly33chasmSpamSandwichasdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 106

When apple supported Movies Anywhere it removed the need for an Apple TV for many people. 

Im shocked but pleased with Apples decision. They need a strong services play. 
    I remember that. But increase services at the cost of their hardware?

It's not like the AppleTV is struggling or anything. So this move is strange. 
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 106
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Of course none of the readers here would ever buy a ”Scamsung” TV, right?

/s
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 106
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Apple is transitioning from a premium products company to a services everywhere company. And with this and Apple Music on Echo devices they’re admitting Apple TV and HomePod are overpriced. I fully expect to see a cheap Apple TV dongle this spring, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the HomePod goes the way of the iPod HiFi and we never see a second generation. I do wonder what these moves mean for Siri. Apple Music doesn’t use Siri on Echo devices and I’m guessing this new Samsung iTunes app won’t have it either. So is Apple treating Siri as just a feature of Apple’s OSes instead of a service itself? Honestly if the company is moving to a services model and making those services cross platform they might as well do it with Siri as well. Treat Siri as it’s own product/service instead of an OS feature.
    entropysolsbala1234ksecmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 106
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
     I’ve been advocating that Apple license Airplay video to TV manufacturers for a long time. The goal here is to get more people to use the Apple ecosystem, which invariably leads to other hardware sales. Apple TV is incredibly popular with people who don’t have smart TVs, but that is a tiny minority of TV owners anymore.

Given Apple’s superior privacy and security policies compared to all other smart TVs, not to mention the superior interface  -– this is a major bit of news that I think will lead to much more Apple hardware adoption, even (perhaps) at the cost of the Apple TV set top box itself. 
    gilly33unsui_grepksecasdasdcaladanianwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 106
    chasm said:
     I’ve been advocating that Apple license Airplay video to TV manufacturers for a long time. The goal here is to get more people to use the Apple ecosystem, which invariably leads to other hardware sales. Apple TV is incredibly popular with people who don’t have smart TVs, but that is a tiny minority of TV owners anymore.

Given Apple’s superior privacy and security policies compared to all other smart TVs, not to mention the superior interface  -– this is a major bit of news that I think will lead to much more Apple hardware adoption, even (perhaps) at the cost of the Apple TV set top box itself. 
    How does being able to play iTunes content on other people’s hardware lead to more hardware sales for Apple? To me this is Tim Cook telling the executive team they need to push harder and move faster on services. 
  • Reply 10 of 106
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    hentaiboy said:

/s
    That’s right! Dumped my Samsung TV for a Sony, which unfortunately has a garbage android TV package. I wish Apple would work with quality TV manufacturers to supply an iOS TV so we don’t have to worry about Android anywhere in our house. 
    cornchipAppleExposedolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 106
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,672member
    I hope this is one of many future openings.

I have long vouched for convergence in the consumer space.

The more interoperability the better.
    olsasdasd
  • Reply 12 of 106
    Apple is transitioning from a premium products company to a services everywhere company. And with this and Apple Music on Echo devices they’re admitting Apple TV and HomePod are overpriced. I fully expect to see a cheap Apple TV dongle this spring, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the HomePod goes the way of the iPod HiFi and we never see a second generation. I do wonder what these moves mean for Siri. Apple Music doesn’t use Siri on Echo devices and I’m guessing this new Samsung iTunes app won’t have it either. So is Apple treating Siri as just a feature of Apple’s OSes instead of a service itself? Honestly if the company is moving to a services model and making those services cross platform they might as well do it with Siri as well. Treat Siri as it’s own product/service instead of an OS feature.
    HomePod has 6% of the smart speaker market. A market littered with $20 echos. A market Hompod isn't even competing in. So no, the sky isn't falling on Apple and they aren't admitting Apple TV is overpriced by allowing iTunes on Samsung TVs.

hentaiboy said:

/s

Dumped scam scum years ago when their high-end TV fried on me after 6 months. 
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 106
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Has hell frozen over . What am I hearing !! 🧐
    Samsung to the rescue again.
  • Reply 14 of 106
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    rob53 said:
    hentaiboy said:

/s
    That’s right! Dumped my Samsung TV for a Sony, which unfortunately has a garbage android TV package. I wish Apple would work with quality TV manufacturers to supply an iOS TV so we don’t have to worry about Android anywhere in our house. 
    When  my Panasonic LCD TV died ( 6 months after the warranty expired, ho ho)... did not even consider a Samsung TV.

Was either LG or Sony OLED.
    So Sony A8F it was... and an ATV 4k - not just for Infuse but also to avoid Android TV ( I've  used a Minix android box previously ).
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 106
    Samsung, like Google, knows that Apple has the best and most lucrative ecosystem in the world. Why wouldn't they want iTunes/AirPlay on their TVs?
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 106
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I hope that Apple does a deal with LG and Sony too.   Which tv manufacturer is considered to have the best OLED screen?
    tmaycaladanian
  • Reply 17 of 106
    ericthehalfbee said:
    Samsung, like Google, knows that Apple has the best and most lucrative ecosystem in the world. Why wouldn't they want iTunes/AirPlay on their TVs?

So Samsung is worthy of Apple’s services now?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 106
    ericthehalfbee said:

Why not? Apple brought Apple Music to Android. How is this any different?

Besides, Samsung has failed miserably in their attempt to be like Apple with their own ecosystem, so why not hook up with a profitable one?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 106
    hentaiboy said:

/s

No. I bought a Sony TV instead because all I was interested in was picture quality in the price/size I wanted.

However, all my PCs (and gaming rigs) over the years use Samsung SSD's exclusively, because they are the best.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 106
    ericthehalfbee said:

Why not? Apple brought Apple Music to Android. How is this any different?

Besides, Samsung has failed miserably in their attempt to be like Apple with their own ecosystem, so why not hook up with a profitable one?
    Ah so basically anything Apple does is good simply because Apple is doing it. If Apple wants to throw its services on everyone else’s hardware fine. But it’s going to be a lot harder for Apple to sell premium hardware when someone can get their services on competitors (most likely cheaper) hardware. Anyway I suspect the 4K Apple TV box won’t be around much longer. Apple willl stick an iTunes (or whatever they call it in the future) app on every TV and probably Android too. 
    edited January 2019 saltyzipmuthuk_vanalingam