Spectrum offers Apple TV 4K to subscribers for $7.50 per month

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
Following the launch of an eponymous standalone Apple TV app, Charter Spectrum on Friday announced a promotion that allows new and existing Spectrum TV and Internet customers to add an Apple TV 4K to their subscription for $7.50 a month.

Apple TV 4K
Apple TV 4K

The hardware offer was detailed in a press release touting the launch of the Spectrum TV App for tvOS, which hit the App Store on Thursday.

According to terms of the deal disclosed in the document, new and existing customers will next week be able to add Apple's top-tier streaming box to their monthly plan for $7.50 plus tax for 24 months. While not specified in the release, Charter is assumedly marketing the 32GB Apple TV 4K, as the full-term cost is comparable to purchasing the $179 device at retail pricing.

"With Spectrum TV on Apple TV 4K, customers can now enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience across their iPhone, iPad and Apple TV," said Apple VP of marketing Greg Joswiak. "We want to help customers get right to watching their favorite channels, shows, movies and sports, and with innovative features like zero sign-on, the Apple TV app and Siri, they are able to jump right in."

With the launch of Spectrum TV this week, Charter Spectrum became the first U.S. basic cable company to offer support for tvOS 12's zero sign-on functionality. The feature automatically authenticates existing subscriptions, allowing users to seamlessly access channels and on-demand content provided through their selected cable bundle.

Zero sign-on is fashioned as a successor to "single sign-on" functionality, which debuted in 2016 to streamline the log in process for a growing number of third-party video streaming apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    So now I can watch 12 minutes of the commercials in between 15-20 minutes of the shows, in 4K? :D
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    Finally!
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 14
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Basic cable and Apple TV. Wonderful memories of yesteryear. 

Internet plus any modern TV with built-in Hulu, Prime, Netflix etc. All most consumers want and need. 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Let's see, lease one for 2 years or buy one forever.
    Hmmm, DirecTV Now gives them out for free.  Ding ding ding...

I would actually buy outright but I can see some people leasing one if they can swap it for the latest model when available.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Bob SpauldingBob Spaulding Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    When on demand content becomes ad free, you will gain me as a customer.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    2old4fun2old4fun Posts: 239member
    512ke said:

Internet plus any modern TV with built-in Hulu, Prime, Netflix etc. All most consumers want and need. 
    Have you tried it? I have it and after a short learning of the app it seems quite good. I am checking to see if this could be a replacement for my Dish service. My LG tv has all of those built-in app that are not used. An annual recurring calendar event reminds me to connect the tv to wi-fi and check for updates. That allows internet connections to be controlled by the Apple TV and Apple security. This may not be optimal but for a non-technical grandfather it is what I have
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 14
    d_2d_2 Posts: 117member
    512ke said:

“... most consumers”?  You’re way off base here... live sports, a key driver of viewership and ad $$, are non-existent on those services.

I love using AppleTVs for accessing all of my video content. Cable box and TV apps are my “memories of yesteryear”. 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 8 of 14
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Downloaded the app. All I get is audio, screen is black whether trying to watch live TV or streamed content. Last generation TV. Do I need the 4K box?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Turns out that even as active subscriber, the app won’t work if you’re not also connected to Spectrum internet. Very disappointing!
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I’m not seeing the value...

You pay for Spectrum TV, then you pay an additional $7.50 to get that content on Apple devices, but only at home?

Why not pay for Spectrum TV (and watch TV on your TV), then use the $7.50 to watch Netflix on your Apple devices.

• Reply 11 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I’m not seeing the value...

You pay for Spectrum TV, then you pay an additional $7.50 to get that content on Apple devices, but only at home?

Why not pay for Spectrum TV (and watch TV on your TV), then use the $7.50 to watch Netflix on your Apple devices.

Then you don't get an Apple TV.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Following the launch of an eponymous standalone Apple TV app, Charter Spectrum on Friday announced a promotion that allows new and existing Spectrum TV and Internet customers to add an Apple TV 4K to their subscription for $7.50 a month.

Apple TV 4K
    Apple TV 4K

The hardware offer was detailed in a press release touting the launch of the Spectrum TV App for tvOS, which hit the App Store on Thursday.

According to terms of the deal disclosed in the document, new and existing customers will next week be able to add Apple's top-tier streaming box to their monthly plan for $7.50 plus tax for 24 months. While not specified in the release, Charter is assumedly marketing the 32GB Apple TV 4K, as the full-term cost is comparable to purchasing the $179 device at retail pricing.

"With Spectrum TV on Apple TV 4K, customers can now enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience across their iPhone, iPad and Apple TV," said Apple VP of marketing Greg Joswiak. "We want to help customers get right to watching their favorite channels, shows, movies and sports, and with innovative features like zero sign-on, the Apple TV app and Siri, they are able to jump right in."

With the launch of Spectrum TV this week, Charter Spectrum became the first U.S. basic cable company to offer support for tvOS 12's zero sign-on functionality. The feature automatically authenticates existing subscriptions, allowing users to seamlessly access channels and on-demand content provided through their selected cable bundle.

Zero sign-on is fashioned as a successor to "single sign-on" functionality, which debuted in 2016 to streamline the log in process for a growing number of third-party video streaming apps.
    Direct TV gave it for free if you try $35 package for 3 months. I got 3 of them last year using 3 different emails and had streaming for 9 months.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

512ke said:

Built in apps sux. Stream boxes are superior!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Be wary of getting the apple tv from spectrum. I was asked if I wanted to try this, and I was NOT informed that once the apple device was opened, I am unable to return it if I do not like it, well, I do not like it as I am in my mid eighties, and everything is too difficult to read. I am unable to get to my channels by entering the number, so I wanted to go to the DVR, but was told I own the apple device.