iTunes & AirPlay 2 coming to Samsung's 2018 and 2019 Smart Televisions [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    chasm said:
    tvOS works best with iOS, and it's been my experience that once people get an opportunity to see how well Apple's software works, they reconsider the hardware (phones, tablets, Macs) they've foolishly been missing out on all these years. There is also the privacy/security factor, which is appealing to (admittedly a minority of people, but some), and which I think will slowly grow in importance over time.
    It will be interesting to see if this means you can use a HomePod (or two) as your Samsung TV's soundbar ...
    Also, don't expect this to be the last licensing deal for "virtual Apple TV" with HDTV makers ...
    Maybe. Is this app going to be tvOS or a special iTunes app written for Samsung’s platform? Even if it is tvOS I wouldn’t consider that some of Apple’s best software, 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 42 of 106
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    ericthehalfbee said:
    Samsung, like Google, knows that Apple has the best and most lucrative ecosystem in the world. Why wouldn't they want iTunes/AirPlay on their TVs?

So Samsung is worthy of Apple’s services now?

Why not? Apple brought Apple Music to Android. How is this any different?

Besides, Samsung has failed miserably in their attempt to be like Apple with their own ecosystem, so why not hook up with a profitable one?
    Ah so basically anything Apple does is good simply because Apple is doing it. If Apple wants to throw its services on everyone else’s hardware fine. But it’s going to be a lot harder for Apple to sell premium hardwhere when someone can get their services on competitors (most likely cheaper) hardware. Anyway I suspect the 4K Apple TV box won’t be around much longer. Apple willl stick an iTunes (or whatever they call it in the future) app on every TV and probably Android too. 

Your trolling attempts are weak.

I never said "anything is good because Apple does it" so stop putting words in my mouth and trying to argue against something I didn't say and stick to what I did say.

This won't have any effect on Apple selling premium hardware. At all. The only device that MIGHT suffer (if Apple does indeed make iTunes available on numerous TVs) would be the Apple TV (a very tiny percentage of Apple hardware). It will have absolutely no affect whatsoever on sales of iPhones, iPads, Macs or Watches. The "premium hardware" where Apple actually makes all their money.

Apple is simply making their content available to Samsung TVs (for now). They're not licensing out iOS or macOS to allow third party vendors to make cheaper versions of iPhones or Macs. So I'm really not sure how you can jump to the conclusion that Apple will have a hard time selling their "premium hardware" by this move.
    Apple doesn’t really have a choice now days since there is no difference at all with viewing a movie on iTunes or Vudu or the many others that all use Movies Anywhere. It’s all basically the same now since your movies go to all of them now. I buy a movie from Vudu because it’s on sale this week and I can watch it on iTunes that very next minute. Same goes the other way. 
  • Reply 43 of 106
    Apple is transitioning from a premium products company to a services everywhere company. And with this and Apple Music on Echo devices they’re admitting Apple TV and HomePod are overpriced. I fully expect to see a cheap Apple TV dongle this spring, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the HomePod goes the way of the iPod HiFi and we never see a second generation. I do wonder what these moves mean for Siri. Apple Music doesn’t use Siri on Echo devices and I’m guessing this new Samsung iTunes app won’t have it either. So is Apple treating Siri as just a feature of Apple’s OSes instead of a service itself? Honestly if the company is moving to a services model and making those services cross platform they might as well do it with Siri as well. Treat Siri as it’s own product/service instead of an OS feature.

Apple isn't admitting anything, so stop with the bullshit.

Echo devices sound like complete garbage compared to the HomePod, so why are you even comparing them? HomePod sales should be compared to Sonos or Bose, not the Echo. Apple TV isn't overpriced for what you get. If you only stream content it's overkill. But if you want to play games or run other Apps it's far more powerful than anything else on the market.

And your assertion that Apple is "transitioning to a services company" is also wrong. Apple is transitioning into a premium hardware AND services company. Their hardware sales aren't going anywhere and will be a $200 billion cash cow every year for many years to come. It's now going to be joined by a very profitable services company as well.
    Games are not played all that much on the AppleTV. Hardly anyone talks about gaming for it other than it really doesn’t exist. 
    entropys
  • Reply 44 of 106
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    iTunes are not Apple exclusive device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 106
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Apple is transitioning from a premium products company to a services everywhere company. And with this and Apple Music on Echo devices they’re admitting Apple TV and HomePod are overpriced. I fully expect to see a cheap Apple TV dongle this spring, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the HomePod goes the way of the iPod HiFi and we never see a second generation. I do wonder what these moves mean for Siri. Apple Music doesn’t use Siri on Echo devices and I’m guessing this new Samsung iTunes app won’t have it either. So is Apple treating Siri as just a feature of Apple’s OSes instead of a service itself? Honestly if the company is moving to a services model and making those services cross platform they might as well do it with Siri as well. Treat Siri as it’s own product/service instead of an OS feature.
    HomePod has 6% of the smart speaker market. A market littered with $20 echos. A market Hompod isn't even competing in. So no, the sky isn't falling on Apple and they aren't admitting Apple TV is overpriced by allowing iTunes on Samsung TVs.

hentaiboy said:
    Of course none of the readers here would ever buy a ”Scamsung” TV, right?

/s

Dumped scam scum years ago when their high-end TV fried on me after 6 months. 
    Maybe I should’ve dumped Apple when my iPhone 6 stopped working at all. Because the one time it happens out of millions is unacceptable. 
    Except reviews said it was a very common problem and Samsung didn't give a shit about our complaints. The model was the "Slim fit" if you care to confirm.

ericthehalfbee said:
    Samsung, like Google, knows that Apple has the best and most lucrative ecosystem in the world. Why wouldn't they want iTunes/AirPlay on their TVs?

Besides, Samsung has failed miserably in their attempt to be like Apple with their own ecosystem, so why not hook up with a profitable one?
    Ah so basically anything Apple does is good simply because Apple is doing it. If Apple wants to throw its services on everyone else’s hardware fine. But it’s going to be a lot harder for Apple to sell premium hardwhere when someone can get their services on competitors (most likely cheaper) hardware. Anyway I suspect the 4K Apple TV box won’t be around much longer. Apple willl stick an iTunes (or whatever they call it in the future) app on every TV and probably Android too. 

I never said "anything is good because Apple does it" so stop putting words in my mouth and trying to argue against something I didn't say and stick to what I did say.

This won't have any effect on Apple selling premium hardware. At all. The only device that MIGHT suffer (if Apple does indeed make iTunes available on numerous TVs) would be the Apple TV (a very tiny percentage of Apple hardware). It will have absolutely no affect whatsoever on sales of iPhones, iPads, Macs or Watches. The "premium hardware" where Apple actually makes all their money.

Apple is simply making their content available to Samsung TVs (for now). They're not licensing out iOS or macOS to allow third party vendors to make cheaper versions of iPhones or Macs. So I'm really not sure how you can jump to the conclusion that Apple will have a hard time selling their "premium hardware" by this move.

Maybe a serious game platform is on the horizon? This would make Apple TV viable again. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 106
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    ericthehalfbee said:

Apple doesn’t really have a choice now days since there is no difference at all with viewing a movie on iTunes or Vudu or the many others that all use Movies Anywhere. It’s all basically the same now since your movies go to all of them now. I buy a movie from Vudu because it’s on sale this week and I can watch it on iTunes that very next minute. Same goes the other way. 
    What proportion of people actually buy a movie from a streaming service? I mean, apart from something similar in price to a rental.  If you buy the blu-Ray, you would just play the blu-Ray.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 47 of 106
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    They’re not admitting shit, they’re just widening their reach with iTunes Store content. 

Re Siri, FTFA: “The app will even have hooks for Bixby, Samsung's proprietary voice assistant.” Siri is a feature of their OSes, which this TV obviously doesn’t run. 
    AppleExposedericthehalfbeeroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 106
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member

Apple isn't admitting anything, so stop with the bullshit.

Echo devices sound like complete garbage compared to the HomePod, so why are you even comparing them? HomePod sales should be compared to Sonos or Bose, not the Echo. Apple TV isn't overpriced for what you get. If you only stream content it's overkill. But if you want to play games or run other Apps it's far more powerful than anything else on the market.

And your assertion that Apple is "transitioning to a services company" is also wrong. Apple is transitioning into a premium hardware AND services company. Their hardware sales aren't going anywhere and will be a $200 billion cash cow every year for many years to come. It's now going to be joined by a very profitable services company as well.
    Games are not played all that much on the AppleTV. Hardly anyone talks about gaming for it other than it really doesn’t exist. 
    Quite So.
    Mind you, it would not take much effort to make it so:
    • an actual Apple games controller (Which incidentally also work with iPads and Macs);
    • APIs to make the software work well with the controller;
    • Apple released killer games to create desire for the platform; and
    • lower the price 20-25% as it is with just the remote, and current price for a model including the games controller, which could also be purchased seerstely at a price say about two thirds of an Xbox controller. It should be priced to grow market share as a gateway to apple services, not a price barrier to adopt Apple services.
    edited January 2019 unsui_grepmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 106

ericthehalfbee said:

Ah so basically anything Apple does is good simply because Apple is doing it. If Apple wants to throw its services on everyone else’s hardware fine. But it’s going to be a lot harder for Apple to sell premium hardware when someone can get their services on competitors (most likely cheaper) hardware. Anyway I suspect the 4K Apple TV box won’t be around much longer. Apple willl stick an iTunes (or whatever they call it in the future) app on every TV and probably Android too. 
    You think they didn’t do the math on whether increased iTunes Store sales might make up for reduced ATV sales? Because that’s literally the only product this is going to potentially cannibalize sales from. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 106
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If my memory is not lying the last time I remember an Apple software running a non Apple device was on a Motorola phone and the experience was ... terribile. I think that what distinguish Apple from other companies in the consumer market is the capacity to give a consistent experience through different devices and this unique features comes from the fact that Apple at the really end is the only that product both hardware and software. I don't know, but my feeling is not positive about this movement.
    iTunes on PC.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    avon b7 said:

Apple TV isn't overpriced for what you get. If you only stream content it's overkill. But if you want to play games or run other Apps it's far more powerful than anything else on the market.

I'm curious. Is it better than a three year old Shield TV which is also cheaper and has a good game controller available for it?

The A10X runs circles around a Shield TV. The best part about the Shield is the GPU, but even then the A10X is superior. Anywhere from 30% (worst case) to a full 100% (best case) faster.

On the CPU side an A10X slaughters the Shield, not surprising since it runs A57 cores. The A10X is literally more than 2X as fast single or multi core.

This doesn’t even take into account that the Shield runs Android and thus has an inferior selection of Apps to use to take advantage of a fast processor.
    AppleExposedclarker99watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 106
    k2kw said:
    Apple is transitioning from a premium products company to a services everywhere company. And with this and Apple Music on Echo devices they’re admitting Apple TV and HomePod are overpriced. I fully expect to see a cheap Apple TV dongle this spring, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the HomePod goes the way of the iPod HiFi and we never see a second generation. 

i wonder if Apple will offer iMessage and FaceTime on Android soon?
    Do k2kw said:
    Apple is transitioning from a premium products company to a services everywhere company. And with this and Apple Music on Echo devices they’re admitting Apple TV and HomePod are overpriced. I fully expect to see a cheap Apple TV dongle this spring, I also wouldn’t be surprised if the HomePod goes the way of the iPod HiFi and we never see a second generation. 

Agree re: Sonos. The day Apple puts FaceTime and/or iMessage on Android is the day iPhone is over.  It if Cook is serious about speeding up this services narrative to appease Wall Street I could see it happening. 
    Uh, why on earth would they? How would iMessage or FaceTime on Android provide any benefit whatsoever to Apple?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 106
    If my memory is not lying the last time I remember an Apple software running a non Apple device was on a Motorola phone and the experience was ... terribile. I think that what distinguish Apple from other companies in the consumer market is the capacity to give a consistent experience through different devices and this unique features comes from the fact that Apple at the really end is the only that product both hardware and software. I don't know, but my feeling is not positive about this movement.
    iTunes on PC.
    And Safari and QuickTime 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 106
    avon b7 said:

Apple TV isn't overpriced for what you get. If you only stream content it's overkill. But if you want to play games or run other Apps it's far more powerful than anything else on the market.

I'm curious. Is it better than a three year old Shield TV which is also cheaper and has a good game controller available for it?

The A10X runs circles around a Shield TV. The best part about the Shield is the GPU, but even then the A10X is superior. Anywhere from 30% (worst case) to a full 100% (best case) faster.

On the CPU side an A10X slaughters the Shield, not surprising since it runs A57 cores. The A10X is literally more than 2X as fast single or multi core.

This doesn’t even take into account that the Shield runs Android and thus has an inferior selection of Apps to use to take advantage of a fast processor.
    You keep saying apps, when the vast majority of people just use it for streaming media like movies and shows. 
    edited January 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 55 of 106
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    ericthehalfbee said:

Ah so basically anything Apple does is good simply because Apple is doing it. If Apple wants to throw its services on everyone else’s hardware fine. But it’s going to be a lot harder for Apple to sell premium hardware when someone can get their services on competitors (most likely cheaper) hardware. Anyway I suspect the 4K Apple TV box won’t be around much longer. Apple willl stick an iTunes (or whatever they call it in the future) app on every TV and probably Android too. 
    Apple can provide premium hardware so long as it can convince consumers of the value of the premium hardware / pricing.  If it can't then it won't.  HomePod provides the value in the form of "studio quality" sound. Apple TV doesn't justify its premium pricing unless of course you view Siri integration is worth the premium price.
  • Reply 56 of 106
    k2kw said:
    I thought the same thing myself when I saw all the holiday deals for $250?  Fire Sell?   If they are going to be in this market they need a HomePod mini for $199 tops.  I would have picked up a couple of HomePods  if they had an Auxilary port so I could connect to my Windows machine.  So I went with Sonos instead.   Apple should have bought Sonos several years ago even if it meant paying a premium.  They need something in this market as it’s dangerous to seed to Amazon Alexa.

"i wonder if Apple will offer iMessage and FaceTime on Android soon?" = Then what's the point of buying an iPhone? Services like iMessage, FaceTime, Apple Pay is what separates iOS from Android.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 57 of 106
    chasm said:
    tvOS works best with iOS, and it's been my experience that once people get an opportunity to see how well Apple's software works, they reconsider the hardware (phones, tablets, Macs) they've foolishly been missing out on all these years. There is also the privacy/security factor, which is appealing to (admittedly a minority of people, but some), and which I think will slowly grow in importance over time.
    It will be interesting to see if this means you can use a HomePod (or two) as your Samsung TV's soundbar ...
    Also, don't expect this to be the last licensing deal for "virtual Apple TV" with HDTV makers ...
    Maybe. Is this app going to be tvOS or a special iTunes app written for Samsung’s platform? Even if it is tvOS I wouldn’t consider that some of Apple’s best software, 
    tvOS as an app? What are you smoking?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 106
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,694member
    avon b7 said:

I meant for doing the job it was designed to do. Up to 4K playback. Gaming platform (you specifically mentioned games). Remote and local streaming. External storage. Official Netflix and Plex server support.

The system is the least of users worries. Which apps is a Shield TV user likely to need that require more power?
  • Reply 59 of 106
    avon b7 said:

Imagine if Apple put the A12X into the ATV
    AppleExposedericthehalfbeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 106
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:

Imagine if Apple put the A12X into the ATV
    There would be no more excuses for game developers. Launch it with Mario Run TV.
    watto_cobra