Apple elaborates on iPad Pro precision manufacturing process, reiterates 400 micron tolera...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    "Additionally, the company is doubling-down on its stated tolerance for the case..."

There's the problem right there, Apple should have doubled-up not doubled down.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I’m sorry but this is ridiculous. How about don’t let products ship that don’t meet specifications?
    Ah yes, Apple should be held to the same standards as the rest of the companies of the world shipping 100% perfect and flaw-free electronics in the tens of millions every quarter.
    Apple’s response should be simply if you think you have a bent iPad bring it to the store for a replacement.  Those who have imperceptible bending won’t notice and everyone else obviously has an iPad that should be replaced.
    That's literally what they said.
    There obviously is an issue or Apple wouldn’t be spending any time on support documents like this. The question is how widespread. Probably not very widespread but only Apple knows for sure.
    Yeah, "probably not", but let's not let that stop you...
    The iPad Pros that are bent do not have a tolerance of 400 microns and shouldn’t be leaving the factory.
    No shit, which is why Apple said you can return one if you think you received on in such condition. You can return it within 14 days regardless for any reason at all.
    So as M.G. Siegler said:
    M.G. Siegler (@mgsiegler)
    “OUR IPADS DO NOT BEND!” Apple screams to millions in response to the question by a half dozen people.

Assuming this isn’t a widespread issue why the heck is Apple keeping this alive?!? Why is a page like this even necessary? This story was pretty much dead. Now it’s a front page story on all the rumor sites and of course The Verge. Which means it’s probably all over social media too. So right after Apple has to announce a revenue guidance downgrade the Apple discussion is about bent iPads and manufacturing tolerances. I’m sorry but if you’re talking about manufacturing tolerances you’re doing it wrong.

Is there something wrong with getting out in front of the story? If they said nothing, you’d be bitching about how they’re not addressing the issue. MG Siegler wrote some clever hyperbole on the Internet, big fucking deal. You know more than a half dozen people were talking about iPadProBendGate or whatever. 
    Ok but that was what, 2 weeks ago or so? So how is this Apple getting ahead of the story? The story was dying down and now Apple has resurrected it.
    You’ve already stated you have no idea how widespread this “issue” is. They obviously do, have considered their options, and acted, presumably in their own best interest and that of their customers. Not sure why the conclusion you’d draw is that they owned themselves.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 63 of 64
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    Assuming this isn’t a widespread issue why the heck is Apple keeping this alive?!? Why is a page like this even necessary? This story was pretty much dead. Now it’s a front page story on all the rumor sites and of course The Verge. Which means it’s probably all over social media too. So right after Apple has to announce a revenue guidance downgrade the Apple discussion is about bent iPads and manufacturing tolerances. I’m sorry but if you’re talking about manufacturing tolerances you’re doing it wrong.

* I assume the reason for the announcement by Cook was because of legal risks. 
    With other companies, often bent products go unnoticed by the media.
    With Apple almost every flaw or perceived flaw leads to a lawsuit. 
    Even the wall paper on the XS and XS Max led to a lawsuit. And criticisms of that wallpaper got reported by MKBHD which got him views.  
    * Of course this kind of drama affects the price Apple stock.
    But as I’ve written before, there is a social media / tech journalism industry funded by trashing Apple. Several tech reporters/YouTube channels depend on this negative Apple reporting. 
    - Why? There is a huge audience of Apple bashers. Apple is a niche market company which is also pretty much kept out of several countries through tariffs/taxes. Gut reaction tribalism by the majority leads to hate towards the Apple minority.  
    - That’s a big audience. And media getting that Apple hater audience = $.

The lawsuits and the hit on Apple’s stock price are inevitable. 
    - Want less drama? Want less turmoil over a tech stock? Go with the monopoly OS companies; Google and Microsoft. They get natural support by the majority. 
    - I personally prefer Apple products due to my tech preferences.
    That leads me here.
    And my approach in forums is; wanting to be informed, logical and importantly not promoting different standards with tech companies. 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 64 of 64
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member

AppleZulu said:
    I’m going to repeat myself since the image at the top of this thread is also a repeat. The depth-of-field blurring (resulting from a low f-stop setting on the camera) exacerbates the perception that the iPad is bent. The further back you go in the image, the more the device blurs, which looks a little like bending if you’re already looking for bending. 

Retake the image with bright lighting and a camera set at f-22, and it’ll look a lot straighter. 
    Yeah this photo is terrible for the purposes of showing a real flaw. Let's see a shot of one of these head on with a ruler against the edge or something for reference. 
    Even with that, it can’t just be any old ruler. It has to be one made to tolerances of less than 400 microns. Ideally a lot less than 400 microns deviation for a reference measurement. If your ruler is 300 µm out of whack in one direction and the iPad is 200 µm (1/5 of a millimeter) out in the opposite direction, then a critic would erroneously try to claim that the iPad is a half mm out and 100 µm beyond Apple’s specifications. 

The folks getting worked up here are doing so about a possible deviation that most consumers couldn’t even measure reliably, because they don’t have the tools to do so. If an iPad is warped more than that, Apple will swap it out with no questions. I really don’t see what the problem is. 
    fastasleep