Early render suggests 2019's 'iPhone XI' could have triple-lens rear camera

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2019
This fall's next flagship iPhone may come equipped with a triple-lens camera on the rear, according to a render said to be based on an early development leak.

2019 iPhone render

All of Apple's 2019 iPhones are still in the engineering validation testing (EVT) phase, and so specifications could shift, cautioned Digit.in and well-known leak source OnLeaks. The company is thought to be targeting a September launch, as usual.

No concrete reason for a triple-lens design was mentioned, but it's speculated that the feature aligns with reports Apple is pursuing a "time of flight" (TOF) system. This would allow depth maps based on the time it takes light to bounce back to a sensor, much like radar or sonar.

The front-facing TrueDepth camera on the iPhone X, XS, and XR is dependent on a vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser, or VCSEL, which projects a grid of dots on a person's face. The technology is impractical for long distances though, and TOF can be more accurate.

Depth maps from rear-facing cameras could expand the possibilities for augmented reality on iPhones and make autofocus shooting faster and more precise.

2019 iPhone render

Cosmetically the OnLeaks render is likely not representative of Apple's ultimate plans, as the company prefers streamlined looks whenever possible. Additionally, it seems unlikely that Apple would sacrifice the internal volume where the third lens is located.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Pretty.  

If real, that thing better take some pretty damn good pictures.  
  • Reply 2 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It is safe to assume this can be true based on phone industry moving toward multiple cameras system on back. This means for 2019, what iPhone XS/MAX have will move to XR including dual cameras.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    What are they selling iPhone or cameras I only start to  imagine  The price of this new iPhone. 
  • Reply 4 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    That's a huge camera bump.  Looks like a tumor
    anantksundaramAppleExposedksecbaconstangairnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    That's some jacked up placement for the lenses and flash, no way it's going to look like that. It'd be cool if they could make it across the top in a way that the phone would sit flat but up at an angle ever so slightly to help Face ID out a bit when sitting on a table.
    mattinozStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 30
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    Increasing the number of lenses is one thing, but I'm also curious to see what sort of further developments there will be in terms of computational photography (essentially what made the Google Pixel cameras so good).

Meanwhile, some manufacturers are just doubling down on the number of lenses:

baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 30
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    That's some jacked up placement for the lenses and flash, no way it's going to look like that. It'd be cool if they could make it across the top in a way that the phone would sit flat but up at an angle ever so slightly to help Face ID out a bit when sitting on a table.
    I'd prefer flush if possible, but what you mentioned might not be too bad.

Kind of like the Nexus 6P, but with 2 additional lenses in the bump.

Image result for nexus 6p
  • Reply 8 of 30
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    The camera will be Triple Optical+Flash? Oh, TOF, the article says.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    igmxigmx Posts: 6member
    Huawei Mate 20 did it better.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Couldn’t agree more. Also, stuff like this is probably incremental from a typical user’s standpoint.

Regardless of how wide the 5G rollout is in 2019, I think Apple may have trouble getting people — especially X, Xs and Xs Max owners — excited about upgrading unless there’s 5G compatibility. This also creates a bit of a conundrum, since I understand Qualcomm owns a lot of the IP related to 5G.
    airnerd
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    So a render that isn't indicative of what Apple might do is also at the same time suggestive of what Apple might do.

Or in other words if this even close Apple needs to fire the design team.
    airnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    if thats real I'll cut off my foot and eat it for breakfast. 
    trashman69airnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    KITA said:
    Increasing the number of lenses is one thing, but I'm also curious to see what sort of further developments there will be in terms of computational photography (essentially what made the Google Pixel cameras so good).

Meanwhile, some manufacturers are just doubling down on the number of lenses:

Google's computational photography is really good due to their use of cloud-based machine learning.  The best results will come from a combination of on-device and cloud-based AI / ML.  Hopefully, Apple is investing heavily in the cloud side of things
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Couldn’t agree more. Also, stuff like this is probably incremental from a typical user’s standpoint.

Regardless of how wide the 5G rollout is in 2019, I think Apple may have trouble getting people — especially X, Xs and Xs Max owners — excited about upgrading unless there’s 5G compatibility. This also creates a bit of a conundrum, since I understand Qualcomm owns a lot of the IP related to 5G.
    I don't expect anybody with an X-series, XS-series iPhone to upgrade to this iPhone.  
  • Reply 15 of 30
    How stupid would one have to be to make a purchasing decision about a ~$800 hand-held computer based not on features or specifications (yet unknown) but on the aesthetics of the back of the device?
    beowulfschmidtSpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 16 of 30
    The bump is getting bigger and Leon is getting larger!
    eriamjhSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    They're heading to an insect eye of a lens, with a T3 processor to sort it all out. I've said too much.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    As an annual upgrader, Apple had better do much more then just insert a triple-lens rear camera and evolutionary specs, especially with what I read will be a bombshell iPhone due out in 2020
  • Reply 19 of 30
    3D camera tech!!! super excited... next level AR content here we go
    trashman69watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    For the love of god, if Tim really force Jony to okay to a phone like this. I think he will just kill himself. 
    anantksundaram