You can now use Apple's Siri & HomeKit to control the $8000 Numi 2.0 'intelligent toilet'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2019
One of the more unusual Apple-related announcements out of CES is that Kohler's "intelligent toilet," the Numi 2.0, is gaining support for HomeKit and even Siri commands.

Kohler Numi 2.0

Owners can ask Siri to heat the toilet's seat and control its multi-color lighting, Kohler representatives told AppleInsider. The Numi 2.0 also features bidet and dryer functions, and built-in speakers with Amazon's Alexa voice assistant.

Pricing and a launch date haven't been revealed, though it should arrive sometime this year.

AirPlay 2 and HomeKit have been a centerpiece of early CES news, primarily that both platforms are coming to TVs by LG, Vizio, and Samsung, including video and TV control functions. Samsung sets are even getting a native iTunes app, enabling access to movies and shows without an iPhone or iPad handy.

HomeKit is additionally coming to more Arlo security cameras, Ikea Smart Shades, and video doorbells. Doorbells were actually used to showcase the iOS 10 Home app, but no shipping product has had HomeKit compatibility so far.

AppleInsider will be attending the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 8 through January 11 where we're expecting 5G devices, HomeKit, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    I'm so over the Internet of Things. My toilet works just fine, thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    “Hey Siri”, wipe my butt”. Now THERE’S a command to reckon with! LOL!

jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 21
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Why?

Seriously, why?
    magman1979MplsPjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Or "Hey Siri, play my dump playlist."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    I have a shower toilet. Voice control would be a great addition to the Bluetooth remote/phone app and auto detection functions.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 6 of 21
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    This kind of BS tech seriously makes me think Humanity is doomed... We can’t even lean over to wipe our own asses, now we have to ask Siri to jet wash and heat dry our asses for us!!!

Or "Hey Siri, play my dump playlist."
    This made me LOL real good!

What if another “family member” decides to play a trick on that newspaper-reading toilet user, and tell Siri to spray their behind just as the dump is happening, that would be epic :)
    viclauyycboltsfan17watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I understand the cleansing and personal hygiene related features - but what's with the lights? Is there a situation where a "code red" is in effect, and does this serve as a warning for the user or for others in the immediate vicinity?
    auxioravnorodomjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    dewme said:
    I understand the cleansing and personal hygiene related features - but what's with the lights? Is there a situation where a "code red" is in effect, and does this serve as a warning for the user or for others in the immediate vicinity?
    Ha! Lights (except for nightlight) are questionable but if I saw a red glow coming out from below the bathroom door, I'd probably take a step back.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    dewme said:
    Maybe the lighting is a warning there are cling ons.
    larz2112magman1979jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    dewme said:
    :D  I just imagined a Star Trek style red alert mode which alerts everyone to evacuate the area
    edited January 2019 ravnorodommagman1979jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    "Hey Siri, flush $8000"
    larz2112jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    This toilet is definitely catered to the Japanese consumers. In Japan's 5 star hotel, the moment you approach the toilet, the cover opens by itself. In some public toilet and urinal, digital white noise turns on (like those zen alarm clock) the moment you start doing your business so next door neighbor can't hear you.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    So we can ask Siri, who shit the most in the house?
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    For the scatologist who has everything...
  • Reply 15 of 21
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    This toilet is definitely catered to the Japanese consumers. In Japan's 5 star hotel, the moment you approach the toilet, the cover opens by itself. In some public toilet and urinal, digital white noise turns on (like those zen alarm clock) the moment you start doing your business so next door neighbor can't hear you.
    First time I visited Japan, I was playing with the buttons on the toilet in my hotel since I had never seen anything like that before. I ended up getting water in the face. 
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    hentaiboy said:
    For the scatologist who has everything...
    Almost. I've always liked the idea of a video cam down there to check that everything is spotless before firing up the dryer. 

There would be obvious security (privacy) concerns but nothing that cannot be overcome culturally. Most fears around shower toilets have a cultural background. There are also obvious gains for patients with chronic conditions that require visual checks.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 17 of 21
    “Hey Siri” + Slight accent + Nuvi 2.0 + pants down = trouble. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    WHY did they have to make it look like a Jawa Sandcrawler?  ...I have a bad feeling about this.

hentaiboymagman1979Anachr0nravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    This thread is pure gold!!!  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Holy Sh!t
    jbdragonwatto_cobra