Early render suggests 2019's 'iPhone XI' could have triple-lens rear camera

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,686member
    That's an ugly render. The block would be centred at the very least (if they go for a block format). A lineal format only gives two main options, of which the vertical alignment looks better IMO. I think the P20 Pro nailed the vertical tri camera arrangement (especially as the brand name 'Huawei' could be aligned with the cameras). Difficult to see Apple moving the logo, though.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    That's a huge camera bump.  Looks like a tumor
    Couldn’t agree more. Also, stuff like this is probably incremental from a typical user’s standpoint.

Regardless of how wide the 5G rollout is in 2019, I think Apple may have trouble getting people — especially X, Xs and Xs Max owners — excited about upgrading unless there’s 5G compatibility. This also creates a bit of a conundrum, since I understand Qualcomm owns a lot of the IP related to 5G.
    I don't expect anybody with an X-series, XS-series iPhone to upgrade to this iPhone.  
    Neither does Apple. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    The bump is getting bigger and Leon is getting larger!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetimenes.  
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Those who assume of higher price(due to 3 cameras) of 2019 iPhone will be wrong. I strongly believe the current prices of iPhones will carry over in 2019 release until 2020 release when 5G and other enhancements come along.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    igmx said:
    Huawei Mate 20 did it better.
    Do you understand what a mock-up is? This is not Apple’s design, it’s an artist’s imagination. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    bluefire1 said:
    As an annual upgrader, Apple had better do much more then just insert a triple-lens rear camera and evolutionary specs, especially with what I read will be a bombshell iPhone due out in 2020
    Er, but iterative product development is how Apple rolls, and has always rolled. The second Macintosh, ala the “Fat Mac” was just a doubling of memory. 

And thats ok. iPhones are not designed to be replaced every single year, but rather be great upgrades after a typical consumer lifecycle. Which they are.

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html

edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,686member
    bluefire1 said:
    As an annual upgrader, Apple had better do much more then just insert a triple-lens rear camera and evolutionary specs, especially with what I read will be a bombshell iPhone due out in 2020
    Er, but iterative product development is how Apple rolls, and has always rolled. The second Macintosh, ala the “Fat Mac” was just a doubling of memory. 

And thats ok. iPhones are not designed to be replaced every single year, but rather be great upgrades after a typical consumer lifecycle. Which they are.

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html

Apple can and has changed. From pre announcing products long before they actually ship to admitting mistakes. Add to that all the things that fervent users insisted wouldn't happen because that 'not the way Apple rolls' and you quickly understand that those who roll out absolutes are often the ones who end up having to eat their own words.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 30
    That's a huge camera bump.  Looks like a tumor
    That was my initial impression as well, and a germ-cell tumor to boot.

But I'm guessing that's very close to what the final result will look like, for several reasons:
    -the photo-computation ability that comes with an equilateral triangle is probably pretty amazing, and adaptable to different camera orientations (maybe allowing pics taken in landscape to switch to portrait, and visa versa?)
    -keeping cameras clustered in the same corner gives people more grip options when taking pics, and no change means no unnecessary learning curve for another orientation
    -I don't think it'll look bad irl, especially with the iPhone X, where the camera array is elevated in its own steel-framed case (looks very very nice IMO)

All of the naysayers here reminds me of how nearly everyone mocked the iPhone 4 when it leaked, and it's now lauded as possibly the best designed iPhone ever.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    How stupid would one have to be to make a purchasing decision about a ~$800 hand-held computer based not on features or specifications (yet unknown) but on the aesthetics of the back of the device?

I know a few people who jumped over the current camera bump. I don't agree with their decision, but it's theirs to make. They aren't stupid, either. Foolish. Fickle, maybe. Not stupid, though.

This is clearly not real. Maybe they have a three-camera design in mind, but it won't look like that. If anything I'd expect a marginally longer version of what we have now, with the cameras and flash slightly closer together than they are now. Still, I'm not an engineer or a designer, so I'm probably wrong. Still, I wouldn't think they'd do it like that render.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 30
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I don't expect Apple to put a third sensor in so quickly after upgrading the sensor in the XS and XSMax.   They will do something else to improve the camera.    They could keep the same phones and just drop the price $100