Nomad launches iPhone-optimized wireless charger for Tesla Model 3

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2018
A new charging dock by Nomad fits snugly into the internal device charging dock of the Tesla Model 3 and is specifically optimized for iPhones, supporting up to 7.5W of power to two devices simultaneously.

Nomad Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger

Tesla owners are in a bit of a league of their own, with many accessories tailor-designed to fit within their interior. Nomad has long created exceptional accessories for iPhone owners, with a large emphasis on travel. While this product may be a bit niche for most out there, it will undoubtedly find an audience.

The entire charger has been created to fit within the charging dock of the Model 3 with space to charge two devices at the same time. It has an anti-slip rubber base to help prevent devices from sliding around.

While Nomad primarily considered the iPhone X and 8 when creating this wireless charging pad, optional spacers help devices of any size fit right in.

A pair of LED lights gives you feedback on the current charging status, easily letting you know when your device is topped off.

Tesla owners will surely benefit from not only the wireless charging but the faster speed overall. The USB ports on the Model 3 only support 5W of power, so Nomad built-in a fast 6,000mAh battery to help support the quick output speeds they were looking for. Now instead of having to plug in an iPhone and charge at 5W, an iPhone can just be placed there and be charged at 7.5W.

Nomad isn't the only one on the market with a wireless charger for the Tesla Model 3, there is also the Jeda charger, though it doesn't look quite as nice as Nomad's.

This is the third wireless charger for Nomad, who created a handly wireless charging hub as well as a leather-wrapped portable travel charger (review).

If you have a Tesla Model 3, you can preorder Nomad's dual wireless charging pad today for $129.95, before it jumps up to $149.95. Preorders will start shipping on September 1.

• Nomad Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger
  • Nomad Tesla Model 3 Wireless Charger

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    I understand why they made this product for iPhone and not for Google. It's pretty hard to believe that a Tesla owner would use an Android phone.
    racerhomie3lostkiwigutengel
  • Reply 2 of 15
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    So the power goes from the Tesla battery to the Nomad battery to the iPhone battery, would there be any loss of energy with all those transfers?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    ascii said:
    So the power goes from the Tesla battery to the Nomad battery to the iPhone battery, would there be any loss of energy with all those transfers?
    There is always loss of energy between transfers, but not any amount you will notice. It speeds up the charging, so you actually can charger faster wirelessly then you can tethered to their USB ports.
    mike1lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 15
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    nunzy said:
    I understand why they made this product for iPhone and not for Google. It's pretty hard to believe that a Tesla owner would use an Android phone.
    Very true .
    nunzylostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 15
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    From the headline I thought that you could charge both your phone and car from this thing. 
  • Reply 6 of 15
    But still no CarPlay. Fantastic. 
    StrangeDayslostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I'm glad they don't waste development time on CarPlay. Tesla navigation is great and as an EV much more useful since it automatically adds any charging stops required. The only thing that would be useful is a native Spotify app, but I suspect their agreement with Slacker is preventing that in the US.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    aaronkalb said:
    I'm glad they don't waste development time on CarPlay. Tesla navigation is great and as an EV much more useful since it automatically adds any charging stops required. The only thing that would be useful is a native Spotify app, but I suspect their agreement with Slacker is preventing that in the US.
    It’s all good - just put the car on autopilot while you send that text and find the podcast you want and... oops! Maybe CarPlay would be better!

seriously, though, is there any reason this wouldn’t work for any phone that has inductive charging?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    MplsP said:
    It’s all good - just put the car on autopilot while you send that text and find the podcast you want and... oops! Maybe CarPlay would be better!

seriously, though, is there any reason this wouldn’t work for any phone that has inductive charging?
    It does work with any phone with inductive charging, but it was specifically made for the iPhones. iPhone uses a very specific frequency to charge at 7.5W, which this uses. Many chargers out there support 7.5W, 9W, 10W, but still only charge the iPhone at 5W because they don't support the specific frequency the iPhone needs.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    aaronkalb said:
    I don’t have an EV but your points sound reasonable. It doesn’t seem likely that Elon will implement CarPlay/Android whatever anytime soon. 

Perhaps Apple could develop an AppleMusic app for Tesla users instead?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ciacia Posts: 247member
    I finally got to experience CarPlay on my mom's new CR-V.  I will say that it is LEAPS and bounds better then the generic Honda interface, but this applies only to Honda.  The Tesla UI is very good in general, I much prefer it to CarPlay.  Tesla's UI does everything better, and if I need to send a text, "hey Siri" still works on my phone, and does everything that CarPlay does. (Reads me my texts, let's me send texts using voice, etc.)
  • Reply 12 of 15
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    MplsP said:

It does work with any phone with inductive charging, but it was specifically made for the iPhones. iPhone uses a very specific frequency to charge at 7.5W, which this uses. Many chargers out there support 7.5W, 9W, 10W, but still only charge the iPhone at 5W because they don't support the specific frequency the iPhone needs.
    Isn't this standardized by Qi?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sd-diversd-diver Posts: 54member
    Wait a minute - what about us Model S owners??
  • Reply 14 of 15
    only got my Model 3 two weeks ago. I do want to order a QI charger and from following the discussion, the nomad seems not worth the money. does anyone has a cheaper but same quality option? i've seen taptes wireless charger on youtube. but not sure it has good quality. has anyone used it yet?