Possible 'iPad mini 5' with LTE antenna shown in pictures on social media

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2019
Images posted to Twitter on Tuesday show what appears to be a new iPad mini, though if so, Apple may have few actual changes to the product in mind.

Possible iPad mini 5

While the photos show the tablet's metal chassis from multiple angles, the only obvious difference in the "iPad mini 5" is an antenna line for 4G connections similar to older iPad Pros. 4G versions of the iPad mini 4 have a plastic enclosure in place of an antenna line. The motherboard is identical, as is the placement.

The tablet may also be using an updated shade of gold, although the vagaries of photography make that uncertain. The hardware still has a 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, and seems to be equipped for Touch ID, unlike 2018 iPad Pros.

Possible iPad mini 5

Apple has taken flak for its treatment of the iPad mini line. The Mini 4 was originally released in September 2015, but hasn't had any follow-up apart from some pricing and configuration changes. A 128-gigabyte Wi-Fi model still costs $399, even though an equivalent 2018 iPad can be had for $429.

Rumors have suggested that Apple does plan to revive the Mini line, potentially in the first half of 2019. One possibility is that it will become the new "budget" iPad, but rumors have also hinted that another low-cost 2019 model sized over 10 inches is in the works.

If they're authentic the new photos suggest that any Mini upgrades will mostly be internal, perhaps adding an A12 processor, better cameras, new memory configurations, and Apple Pencil support.

The tweet was first spotted by 9to5Mac.

AppleInsider will be attending the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 8 through January 11 where we're expecting 5G devices, HomeKit, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    "If they're authentic the new photos suggest that any Mini upgrades will mostly be internal, perhaps adding an A12 processor, better cameras, new memory configurations, and Apple Pencil support."

It's flat metal and glass rounded cuboid, of course upgrades will be mostly internal.  Is the point that it's not expected to get a new screen?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    ...would a flash and latest slimmer bezel also be obvious upgrades, perhaps as a 'mini pro'...?
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 3 of 18
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    Was hoping for a "full screen" mini.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Whatever changes they make, the price will jump $100+
    elijahgwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 18
    hentaiboy said:
    Whatever changes they make, the price will jump $100+
    Most likely, they would have learnt the lesson from holiday quarter. At least, I hope so. So I expect the new Mini to be a very simple upgrade on the internals for same price and done with that. Most likely, along with support for new Apple pencil built in, for those who need it and are willing to spend additional money it.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    hmlongco said:
    Was hoping for a "full screen" mini.
    ...would a flash and latest slimmer bezel also be obvious upgrades, perhaps as a 'mini pro'...?

That would require a design change, manufacturing process change and so on. Will cost lot more and add significantly to the price tag. And it may not be a mass market device anyway. Doubtful that Apple would find it worth spending the effort on something that may not provide adequate returns.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a decent upgrade at a competitive price.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 18
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    How sweet would Face ID be on an updated mini 5....but with Apples recent pricing strategy, odds are this will not be considered "budget" and won't make it in.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Just as long as it is the same size as the previous generation iPad Mini it is replacing in the Apple Stores. The only reason the mini is getting an update is so they don't have to keep supporting the older ones iOS 13 and can keep using it to show off the features of the products they really care about.
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 10 of 18
    It would be reasonable to assume that eventually ALL iPads will get Apple Pencil 2 support. I don’t see Apple continuing to make TWO Apple pencils. It just seems weird and fractured to have two Apple pencils. But wether Apple does it with the upcoming updates to the regular iPad & iPad mini remains a mystery. They could wait one more year until the 10th anniversary of the iPad in 2020. I dunno. 
  • Reply 11 of 18
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I'd buy a 32G wifi one for about $229.
    radarthekatbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 18
    At this point, we've been waiting for an iPad Mini update since, what, 2016?  I stopped holding my breath last fall and bought one of the "standard" 9.7" iPads.  To be honest, I don't really like the larger size, but it would be tough to justify purchasing an iPad Mini 5 if one materialized now that I have it.  Also, my assumption is that if it ever does show up, it'll be an A10-based product (iPhone 7/2018 iPad), not A12-based, as that would make its performance too close to the iPad Pro's.  Whether you want an iPad that's three years old when it goes on sale or not is sort of up to you. :smile: 
    elijahgMisterKit
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I would be surprised if the SOC is above an A10. All I want is a spec bump in the current form factor. Ready to buy. Bring it on!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    This would be great. I love the size and have several but bought a first gen 9.7 pro. I hope they do a good update not just about new a(for mini) 2-3 year old chip with nothing else for $500
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I think this is more interesting for what it says about this year's full-size "regular" iPad — unlikely to have FaceID or pick up on the iPad Pro design (flat round sides). Which also means no support for the Pencil 2. Bummer.

The battery on my Mini is on its deathbed, but I'm not especially interested in buying into the old design… grateful that the form factor isn’t being retired, at least. 
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Anybody have any thoughts on an upgrade to the iPod? Laugh all you want: I'd get one.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    RSGinSF said:
    Anybody have any thoughts on an upgrade to the iPod? Laugh all you want: I'd get one.

The new iPods are a tad expensive since they now include smartphone capabilities.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I'd be very interested in a Mini even with the older curved form-factor. I've never owned a mini (have always been a full-sized iPad owner), but a low-cost portable version with revised internals would seem to fit a niche for me. Something that I could easily just toss in my bag when traveling or going to work.